Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 49786 times
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #92: Jun 29, 2017 12:14:45 am
      I never agreed with Milner being made VC the second he arrived at the club and I remember saying so too. But, out of him and Hendo I'd lean towards Milner on the basis that he actually plays.

Don't think we are particularly blessed with leaders to be honest, not like over the last 15 years or so where we had the likes of Gerrard, Carra, Agger, Pepe, Hyypia and Fowler. Agger and Pepe were never made actual captains but they were still more than capable of doing the job and would have been good candidates for it.

Agger, shame we let him go. Quality man.
      Milner and Hendo look like only logical choice for a captain ATM.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #93: Jun 30, 2017 01:50:32 pm
      Henderson...

I feel he is fully committed to the club and learnt his captaincy trade from one of the best.

There is a big but though, does anyone know if this injury to his foot is career threatening? 

Big question that .

I think Klopp  needs HIS Captain in place as soon as possible and I don't think Henderson is that person.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #94: Jul 03, 2017 11:38:54 am
      Honestly, I don't know who is the best candidate. But whoever is chosen must have the fire in them to drive the rest to the finishing line. He needs to rally the troops when we're down, continuously urging the players on and expects nothing but a 100% commitment throughout 90 mins of the game from everyone and to have the leadership to show the way.

Apart from that, we may also need section captains in defence, midfield and attack. This would form the backbone of the team.

RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #95: Jul 09, 2017 02:14:19 pm
      What we need is to do is go out and buy a top quality centre back who is a leader. Solve the defence being utter sh*te and a voice who's gona shout at people to strive to be better instead of looking like a bunch of headless chickens every time we concede a set piece.

With the current squad though, no. There is no point as no real leaders stand out.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #96: Jul 10, 2017 09:23:17 pm
      I don't  have any problem with  Hendo, anyway  Klopp wil  have the final say.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #97: Jul 14, 2017 09:48:24 am
      I think I found a captain Henderson can be.

The lookalike is uncanny.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #98: Jul 14, 2017 11:04:13 am
      I think I found a captain Henderson can be.

The lookalike is uncanny.

Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #99: Aug 02, 2017 09:34:17 pm
      I have not seen such a sh*te penalty since Southgate in 1996. Most mediocre captain I've seen in LFC history.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #100: Aug 02, 2017 09:46:54 pm
      Most mediocre captain I've seen in LFC history.

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #101: Aug 03, 2017 02:33:11 am
      He's got a great attitude, but got no guts.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #102: Aug 03, 2017 03:24:01 am
      I have not seen such a sh*te penalty since Southgate in 1996. Most mediocre captain I've seen in LFC history.

Due to a penalty miss in what is essentially a friendly match?

Lets not forget many thought the same of Gerrard when he was given it, he was too young at the time and a daft decision, however, he grew into the role.

Also, look at the alternatives, name one player giving 100% percent every game, represents the locality of the club, and oozes leadership. There isn't one player who stands out.

Besides, nowadays captaincy just means who gets to talk sh*t in interviews when we win or lose, its publicity now, the title means nothing.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,185 posts | 165 
      Reply #103: Aug 03, 2017 06:11:39 am
      Very disappointed by this penalty, it's silly but I expected better from him. I just don't like the feeling I had when I saw he was about to hit.  When Gerrard, Lampard or Rooney are hitting the ball, we're confident they'll hit it right; not Hendo. It's not the kind of feeling you should get when looking up to your captain.

I just hope he proves me wrong throughout the season.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #104: Aug 03, 2017 10:43:34 am
      People posting in this thread after missing a pre season penalty.

cu*ts the lot of you. Always been on Henderson's back, where were you when he was running centre mid last year when he was top of the league for passes, distance and interceptions... Not a peep out of you.

Pre season, penalty kick, clearly jaded, still not match fit, not a penalty taker in the first place and we get:

It's pathetic, happens every F***ing year. There are huge monthly gaps in activity in his players thread, that's when he's playing well because people don't have sh*t to say. It's a F***ing witch hunt and I cannot believe we're going through this again. I posted this last September, same old sh*t, different year:

Certain people have gone predictably quiet on this thread all of a sudden.

Just go back to January/February in this thread and look at the sh*te being posted up until a few months ago, like I said then, it's absolutely shameful the way he's been treated at this club. Moreover; the fact that the stampede of hatred for some bad games playing whilst clearly injured doesn't match to the same number of great performances this season just goes to show that Jordan is fighting a losing battle with some fans who'd rather see him fail and be 'right' than succeed and admit they got it wrong.

Just wait, one bad game and this thread will explode, just F***ing wait. It's utterly infuriating.

It happened.

Watch him put people in their place again this year, watch cu*ts like Riba say F**k all about his top level performances like he did last year, and watch the hate comments slime out of the cracks after one mistake calling for his head again.

I'm done, if you can't see Henderson is a fantastic captain, top player and see how we always do better with him on the pitch I don't think I can respect your opinion on anything else because you clearly don't know sh*t.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #105: Aug 03, 2017 11:15:27 am
      Due to a penalty miss in what is essentially a friendly match?

Lets not forget many thought the same of Gerrard when he was given it, he was too young at the time and a daft decision, however, he grew into the role.

Also, look at the alternatives, name one player giving 100% percent every game, represents the locality of the club, and oozes leadership. There isn't one player who stands out.

Besides, nowadays captaincy just means who gets to talk sh*t in interviews when we win or lose, its publicity now, the title means nothing.

Its not about effort, no one can say that Henderson doesn't give full effort in every game he plays but its his lack of skill as a midfielder which is the issue, he's kind of ok as a DM as he reasonably good at disrupting the opposition but as a playmaker he is very poor and we need better. I'd also argue we need a more powerful character as a captain.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #106: Aug 03, 2017 11:17:44 am

Cu*ts the lot of you. Always been on Henderson's back, where were you when he was running centre mid last year when he was top of the league for passes, distance and interceptions... Not a peep out of you.

Pre season, penalty kick, clearly jaded, still not match fit, not a penalty taker in the first place and we get:

It's pathetic, happens every f**king year. There are huge monthly gaps in activity in his players thread, that's when he's playing well because people don't have sh*t to say. It's a f**king witch hunt and I cannot believe we're going through this again. I posted this last September, same old sh*t, different year:

It happened.

Watch him put people in their place again this year, watch cu*ts like Riba say f**k all about his top level performances like he did last year, and watch the hate comments slime out of the cracks after one mistake calling for his head again.

I'm done, if you can't see Henderson is a fantastic captain, top player and see how we always do better with him on the pitch I don't think I can respect your opinion on anything else because you clearly don't know sh*t.

OK Jordan calm down, you'll still get paid lad. maybe work on those penalties though, get some tips from the youngsters.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #107: Aug 03, 2017 11:19:40 am

Cu*ts the lot of you. Always been on Henderson's back, where were you when he was running centre mid last year when he was top of the league for passes, distance and interceptions... Not a peep out of you.

It's pathetic, happens every f**king year. There are huge monthly gaps in activity in his players thread, that's when he's playing well because people don't have sh*t to say. It's a f**king witch hunt and I cannot believe we're going through this again. I posted this last September, same old sh*t, different year:

It happened.

Watch him put people in their place again this year, watch cu*ts like Riba say f**k all about his top level performances like he did last year, and watch the hate comments slime out of the cracks after one mistake calling for his head again.

Fantastic captain - compared to who?
      Top player - compared to who in the other top 6 teams?
      Always do better with him playing - Do we, can you actually back that up with any stats or is it just your opinion?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #109: Aug 03, 2017 11:28:41 am
      Fantastic captain - compared to who?
      Top player - compared to who in the other top 6 teams?
      Always do better with him playing - Do we, can you actually back that up with any stats or is it just your opinion?

Stats are nebulous things but here's some which would back up Mags statement.

Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #110: Aug 03, 2017 11:30:55 am
      Stats are nebulous things but here's some which would back up Mags statement.

Yea that's in one of the articles I gave Heimdall as homework :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #111: Aug 03, 2017 11:51:44 am
      Yea that's in one of the articles I gave Heimdall as homework :D

Very interesting stats, but who normally played in that position when Henderson was injured, might it be Lucas or a misfiring Can? Just imagine what we could do with a player like Keita in that role.
      Oh and by the way I do actually watch matches, its just I have a different opinion to you.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #112: Aug 03, 2017 12:30:28 pm
      Very interesting stats, but who normally played in that position when Henderson was injured, might it be Lucas or a misfiring Can? Just imagine what we could do with a player like Keita in that role.
      Oh and by the way I do actually watch matches, its just I have a different opinion to you.
      Henderson got injuries the same time as a lot of other players, also missed half of January, the bad spell that a lot of people attributed to Mane being at AFCON. These Henderson fanboys will stop at nothing to falsely prove he is Captain material. His reasonable performances happened way less than his acceptable ones. As far as stats goes, Flanagan got some pretty good stats whilst Suarez, Sturidge and Sterling was firing all cylinders at Liverpool with Coutinho behind them. Wonderful win ratio in a team that conceeded a lot of goals.
      Only player stats worth anything to me are shot to goal conceeded for a goalkeeper, minutes to assist or goal ratio for strikers, pass completion and key passes for midfielders..etc... Not garbage win ratios with or without players.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 12:43:52 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #113: Aug 03, 2017 12:33:58 pm

No idea who normally played, but we cannot speak in hypotheticals, from the mix we have, he's the best at his position and in my opinion up there with the best in the PL at that deep lying playmaker role. His defensive work is constantly underrated and unrecognised. Since you do watch us play, next time you do, go out of your way to see how many times Henderson gets beaten or dribbled past and I am confident in saying it'll be at most 1 time in 90 minutes. Also watch out for him giving the 'go' call for pressing with the other 2 in midfield. He sits deep and often is the one to instigate the second wave of pressing from midfield. It's all there in front of us, but people just don't see it.

This move from a box to box midfielder to a more regista role, hunting down the ball and controlling the game has confused many of our fans I think. His job is to get the ball back and play it on. His stats showed that when he was playing this season he was the best in the league at winning the ball via tackle or interception and he also was the man with the highest pass count and best accuracy. He follows Klopp's role for him to a tee and is a vital, vital cog as the stats show.

Like I said, I encourage all watching the next game, pay attention to Henderson. Watch him direct, watch how many times he wins the ball back and also how many times he loses it. (Now I bet he'll have a stinker next game :D)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #114: Aug 03, 2017 12:49:47 pm
      he also was the man with the highest pass count
      His passes were to players about 10 feet away, what do you expect? It's like Borini's movement argument allover again.

Quick Reply