Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50213 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #138: Aug 03, 2017 10:06:53 pm
      Captain? Don't think it's that big an issue, apparently Henderson tries to do the right things off the field as well.

He's come in for a bit of stick after that penalty miss in a nothing match. Big deal.

As a player he's limited, we all know that - and if he is one of the best midfielders in the league then we've got a poor league of midfielders compared to who used to play in them, never mind compared to who used to play for us in that position.

I think the 'system' we have exposes him somewhat - especially when Lallana and Coutinho are playing in front of him. Essentially their is only one true central midfielder in the team who's being told to play the DM.

I remember the days, when you'd have two 'sitters' in quality like Alonso, or Mascha in a 4-2-3-1 type formation. Who could break up play and then orchestrate the ball meaningfully from deep.

In our system the orchestrators are further advanced. Both system's have their pro's and con's.

I think that when we get to those big games we could be dominated/exposed in midfield if the first five (press), are played through leaving x-amount of room and Jordan Henderson facing them.

You can see why Klopp wanted Keita another proper central midfielder in the team, just to reinforce it with a bit more steel and quality. Along with the defence it is certainly a weaker part of the team, but then when you are playing one true CM in most of your games in a #6 role then the pressure will be on to perform.

When the front five are pressing and winning the ball higher are the pitch Jordan and his position doesn't become a problem.
      « Last Edit: Aug 03, 2017 10:12:33 pm by Beerbelly »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,674 posts | 6686 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #139: Aug 04, 2017 03:58:59 am
      I'm not Hendos biggest fan, he missed a penalty and I was pissed with him at the time.

But.....he can pass a ball and we are better off with him in the Team then without.

For me personally, I'm still mad at him for missing those last 3 of the 4 games of the Season we went so close to winning the Title in 2014. He got red carded in stoppage time against Citeh and missed the next 3 games V Norwich, The Chav cu*ts and Palace.

Will never forget that red. I think more then anything we lost that Title, the day he received that Red and I know I'm being a c**t but I will never forgive him for that. That day was just the start of me realising that he really is important to the Team.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #140: Aug 04, 2017 04:38:25 pm
      I despair, I really do.

If this is what the "modern fan" brings to the club, they can f**k off.

No idea, no knowledge, no passion except for slagging off our own.

Henderson; one of the best midfielders in the league.
      End of f**king story.

no its not end of F***ing story because he is NOT one of the best midfielders in the league, Kante is light years better than him as DM.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #141: Aug 04, 2017 06:19:25 pm
      no its not end of F***ing story because he is NOT one of the best midfielders in the league, Kante is light years better than him as DM.

Name 3 others.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #142: Aug 04, 2017 06:33:52 pm
      Kante as already mentioned and the 3 others

Herrera
      Romeu
      Wanyama
      Gueye

Need me to stop there or name more?

Hopefully Henderson won't take any penalties.
      Really need Milner, Firmino, Coutinho, Can and Salah doing that.
      Mane, Lallana, Origi or Sturridge next followed by players such as Kent and Karius.
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2017 06:45:46 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #143: Aug 04, 2017 07:36:40 pm
      Kante as already mentioned and the 3 others

Herrera
      Romeu
      Wanyama
      Gueye

Need me to stop there or name more?

Incorrect.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #144: Aug 04, 2017 07:47:16 pm
      To follow up. Go to squawka.com and do some comparisons based on per 90 mins. I got these results, do experiment and come back but I think this shows some telling things, especially Henderson's 'sideways' and 'short' passing game. I sound like a broken record, but F***ing watch the match guys. Watch how he plays and pay attention and maybe you'll stop spouting sh*te.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2017 07:51:42 pm by Magillionare »
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #145: Aug 04, 2017 07:55:16 pm
      To follow up. Go to squawka.com and do some comparisons based on per 90 mins. I got these results, do experiment and come back but I think this shows some telling things, especially Henderson's 'sideways' and 'short' passing game. I sound like a broken record, but f**king watch the match guys. Watch how he plays and pay attention and maybe you'll stop spouting sh*te.

To be fair Riba does have unique views on things Mags. :)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #146: Aug 04, 2017 08:40:32 pm
      To be fair Riba does have unique views on things Mags. :)

That certainly is one way of putting it.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,204 posts | 6349 
      Reply #147: Aug 04, 2017 08:44:54 pm
      To follow up. Go to squawka.com and do some comparisons based on per 90 mins. I got these results, do experiment and come back but I think this shows some telling things, especially Henderson's 'sideways' and 'short' passing game. I sound like a broken record, but f**king watch the match guys. Watch how he plays and pay attention and maybe you'll stop spouting sh*te.

I'll be honest though....his stats are fine, but that games played stat has to get better or it's a deal breaker.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #148: Aug 04, 2017 09:23:35 pm
      I'll be honest though....his stats are fine, but that games played stat has to get better or it's a deal breaker.

I agree mate. Really hope he gets his fitness sorted or naturally we will see a decline in his ability
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #149: Aug 04, 2017 09:36:03 pm

That's my main concern. Especially now with Lallana out for an extended period. One more injury and we're back to a situation which last season saw the likes of Lucas Leiva getting regular opportunities. Except even Lucas is gone now.

I guess Coutinho's move to midfield softens the blow a bit, but we definitely need more options in the middle of the park.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 129 posts | 10 
      Reply #150: Aug 05, 2017 01:11:25 pm
      I voted yes only if VVd signs
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #151: Aug 05, 2017 01:20:01 pm
      I agree mate. Really hope he gets his fitness sorted or naturally we will see a decline in his ability

I honestly don't understand where this thing about him being "injury prone" has come from.
      Plantar fasciitis on one foot, then a training ground kick on his other foot.
      Both unfortunate, neither indicative of being "injury prone".

Now, if last seasons injury had been a recurrence of the plantar thing, I could understand it being a concern, but it wasn't, he got kicked in training and it turned out to be worse than first thought.

The idea put forth by some that he is on a par with Sturridge when it comes to injuries is nonsensical.
      I could maybe understand if there was no information out there about it, like in pre-internet days, but that's not the case, and it's just being used by the agenda driven as a stick to beat him with.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #152: Aug 05, 2017 01:40:36 pm
      I honestly don't understand where this thing about him being "injury prone" has come from.
      Plantar fasciitis on one foot, then a training ground kick on his other foot.
      Both unfortunate, neither indicative of being "injury prone".

Now, if last seasons injury had been a recurrence of the plantar thing, I could understand it being a concern, but it wasn't, he got kicked in training and it turned out to be worse than first thought.

The idea put forth by some that he is on a par with Sturridge when it comes to injuries is nonsensical.
      I could maybe understand if there was no information out there about it, like in pre-internet days, but that's not the case, and it's just being used by the agenda driven as a stick to beat him with.

I think this season will be a big indication. I agree though, he's not close to Studge in terms of injury
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #153: Aug 05, 2017 01:50:53 pm
      I think this season will be a big indication. I agree though, he's not close to Studge in terms of injury

Well the 2 long(ish) term injuries that he had were unrelated, and I've never heard of a player having "delicate feet" ;) so I'm not sure what indications there could be.

He looked a bit chubby at first in pre-season, but seems to be getting his fitness back to what it was.

The one thing I am sure of is that he is an integral part of the team, dictating pace, tempo and pressing, scoring the occasional cracker and generally being a pretty good skipper.

There's 2 reasons people slate him; 1) they don't know what they're talking about, 2) they don't know what they're talking about.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #154: Aug 05, 2017 02:14:10 pm
      I see we still have a sad F**k (or two) clinging on to their long held hatred of Hendo so that, at some point, they can say 'see I was right all along'. 🙄

Time to let go you arsewipes. 😁

"Jürgen is brilliant... Jürgen has a great eye for a player... chill Jürgen has it covered... You should trust his judgement on players." 🙄

"So why don't you trust him when he picks Jordan?"

"Cause... er... em... I'm allowed to question him."

You F***ing hypocrite. 🔔🔚
      « Last Edit: Aug 05, 2017 02:37:18 pm by bad boy bubby »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #155: Aug 05, 2017 02:14:24 pm
      Every season seems to be a 'make or break' year for Hendo. Truth be told, aside from a wretched first couple of matches last season, I thought he performed as well as I've ever seen him play in a Liverpool shirt last season. He did a lot of dirty work that goes unnoticed and I think his disciplined and match winning performance against Chelsea away last season showed the very best of him - it was remarkable just how much he settled the guys behind him so in that respect he is as much a defensive asset as anything in my view. As well as the goal it was probably the standout individual performance of last season as well as our finest result in the league.

You'd think his ability in harrying, pressing opponents and just that ability to be a constant niggling presence in the midfield would have been even more appreciated when he got injured last season and we had to put up with the comparatively sluggish and lazy performances by Can and to a lesser extent Gini. But it doesn't seem to be.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #156: Aug 06, 2017 05:35:15 am
      Every season seems to be a 'make or break' year for Hendo. Truth be told, aside from a wretched first couple of matches last season, I thought he performed as well as I've ever seen him play in a Liverpool shirt last season. He did a lot of dirty work that goes unnoticed and I think his disciplined and match winning performance against Chelsea away last season showed the very best of him - it was remarkable just how much he settled the guys behind him so in that respect he is as much a defensive asset as anything in my view. As well as the goal it was probably the standout individual performance of last season as well as our finest result in the league.

You'd think his ability in harrying, pressing opponents and just that ability to be a constant niggling presence in the midfield would have been even more appreciated when he got injured last season and we had to put up with the comparatively sluggish and lazy performances by Can and to a lesser extent Gini. But it doesn't seem to be.

I think you're pretty much right there, when Jordan did play he wasn't the problem. Credit to Klopp though for sticking him into the #6 role. Let's be fair here, he is a rather limited player and his limitations as water carrier can be harnessed in there somewhat. You look at the players Klopp plays in front of Henderson in still what is an orthodox midfield pattern (Lallana, Gini, Coutinho), and you can see that Henderson doesn't match up to them when working forward.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,167 posts | 1384 
      Reply #157: Aug 06, 2017 11:17:46 am
      I very much doubt Klopp has any problems with Henderson as captain. Henderson has captained England and handled it well. Only injury prevented him from adding to his caps as captain.

A thread like this just gives the Hendo doubters a chance to have another pop at him. Bearing in mind this coming season is a big challenge for Henderson, but everybody faces a big test.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #158: Aug 08, 2017 11:36:31 pm
      People are suggesting that by questioning the captaincy its having a go at Henderson.

He's a decent enough player but the team has lacked a sort of resilience. Maybe it's just time to give somebody else a go of the captaincy?

It could bring out the best in Henderson and of whoever is chosen as the new captain. Similar to when Gerrard assumed captaincy from Hyypia.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #159: Aug 09, 2017 12:06:40 am
      This thread annoys me. Very distasteful and sad really.

I assumed when the poll went up it would be 99% as Hendo to stay as captain but I forgot how clueless the modern day football fan can be.

Thankfully, the person who makes this decision is Jürgen Klopp who I'd imagine would be laughing if he saw this!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #160: Aug 09, 2017 01:24:32 am
      People are suggesting that by questioning the captaincy its having a go at Henderson.

He's a decent enough player but the team has lacked a sort of resilience. Maybe it's just time to give somebody else a go of the captaincy?

It could bring out the best in Henderson and of whoever is chosen as the new captain. Similar to when Gerrard assumed captaincy from Hyypia.

Surely those saying the captaincy should be removed from Hendo could AT LEAST give us a name?

Quick Reply