Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 50218 times
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #161: Aug 09, 2017 01:37:27 am
      This thread annoys me. Very distasteful and sad really.

I assumed when the poll went up it would be 99% as Hendo to stay as captain but I forgot how clueless the modern day football fan can be.

Quite right. Hendo should stay as captain, he is always injured, offers next to nothing when he does play, and has about as much influence as a dog turd in a winter street when it comes to leading others on the pitch and giving fans some kind of hope.

Or maybe, just maybe, people are pissed off with the state of things when it comes to our club?

Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #162: Aug 14, 2017 06:30:22 pm
      This thread annoys me. Very distasteful and sad really.

I assumed when the poll went up it would be 99% as Hendo to stay as captain but I forgot how clueless the modern day football fan can be.

Thankfully, the person who makes this decision is Jürgen Klopp who I'd imagine would be laughing if he saw this!
      Jordan Henderson – 5
      Unable to dictate in front of the back four, and he was quietly culpable for the second goal prior to the defensive mixup behind him.
      A pass success rate of 77 percent is too low for a player who is supposed to control the game.
      Didn’t lead the team as captain, and couldn’t help his charges see the game out in the final minutes.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/08/player-ratings-watford-3-3-liverpool/

Mignolet and Hendo were worst players on the park against Watford in many peoples opinions.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #163: Aug 14, 2017 07:20:58 pm
      Henderson on Coutinho;

"Henderson: "If I ever have conversations with Phil (Coutinho), they will remain private."

Henderson: "I can't influence the situation. Anything that happens has nothing to do with me."

If?!
      Now this for me is another reason why I don't see him as captain material. Now compare that to Gerrard and how he helped persuade Suarez to stay another season. Hendo should be doing all he can to persuade him to change his mind, if for just another season. Just goes to show a lack of clout Hendo has amongst the team IMO. Can see him being a leader for the younger lads and maybe the English players but not our key players.

Unless I'm reading too much into it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #164: Aug 14, 2017 07:45:55 pm
      Henderson on Coutinho;

If?!
      Now this for me is another reason why I don't see him as captain material. Now compare that to Gerrard and how he helped persuade Suarez to stay another season. Hendo should be doing all he can to persuade him to change his mind, if for just another season. Just goes to show a lack of clout Hendo has amongst the team IMO. Can see him being a leader for the younger lads and maybe the English players but not our key players.

I see where you're coming from but in fairness, Gerrard was Liverpool. He had an inconic status beyond this club. Partly because of his talent, partly because he was a local and partly because the bulk of his career was successful. It's easier to persuade someone to keep playing alongside you if you're one of the greatest players of your generation. Henderson can make claim to none of those things so his Captaincy shouldn't be compared to Gerrard's.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,137 posts | 1081 
      Reply #165: Aug 14, 2017 07:51:05 pm
      Moreno could be the captain in a lead by example kind of way. Whatever he does just do the opposite :lmao:
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #166: Aug 14, 2017 07:59:31 pm
      Henderson on Coutinho;

If?!

Totally get where you're coming from but I wouldn't read too much into the word if, simply because that neither confirms or denies that a conversation has taken place.

The second quote is much more revealing. As you state, Gerrard did convince Luis to stay, there is plenty a captain can do and he most certainly should be able to influence those he captains, if he can't then isn't the captaincy redundant. Now I don't expect Gerrard could have changed Coutinho's mind, but he might have had him playing rather than sitting out the games like a spoilt brat.

Losing respect from us all right now is Cou, I think we'd have beaten Watford with him in the side and I think our task against Hoffenheim would be so much easier with him in the side. People can say Jürgen should have a deeper squad but we're missing our two best AM at a time it looked like both were firing and playing really well.

Hendo could step in and explain that situation to him, how he's basically F***ing us over to the absolute maximum when he wants us to understand his position and respect his wishes. This is exactly why the timing could not have been any worse if he tried.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,104 posts | 2762 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #167: Aug 14, 2017 09:05:38 pm
      Would appointing a new captain solve our defensive issues?

No.

Is there really any stronger voice on the pitch?

No

And thats damning because Hendo isnt enough of a talker/ bollicker to captain Liverpool
      chap
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 672 posts | 35 
      Reply #168: Aug 14, 2017 10:23:15 pm
      Personally Id give captaincy to lallana. I think he done well as captain at southampton and he's a workhorse.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #169: Aug 14, 2017 11:20:28 pm
      I see where you're coming from but in fairness, Gerrard was Liverpool. He had an inconic status beyond this club. Partly because of his talent, partly because he was a local and partly because the bulk of his career was successful. It's easier to persuade someone to keep playing alongside you if you're one of the greatest players of your generation. Henderson can make claim to none of those things so his Captaincy shouldn't be compared to Gerrard's.

Fair point
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #170: Aug 14, 2017 11:36:26 pm
      Would appointing a new captain solve our defensive issues?

No.

Is there really any stronger voice on the pitch?

No

And thats damning because Hendo isnt enough of a talker/ bollicker to captain Liverpool

Our team in general seems very quiet/tame and lacking passion as well at times to what you'd want and expect from us.

Shocking given that those are areas which Klopp excels in. Hendo is certainly too tame for my likes though. The rest as well. Migs always looks like if there was a hole next to him, he'd jump right into it. Many of our guys do.

Can and Lovren look the most animated on the pitch to me, but unfortunately I'm not sure the guidance they'd be giving the guys would be all that beneficial.

Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #171: Aug 15, 2017 12:03:11 am
      Scenario.

Tomorrow Klopp calls a press conference. Says Henderson is being stripped of the captaincy and now 'insert your pick here' is the captain.

How do you that would go down in the dressing room? How do you think that would effect morale? What positives could it possibly have? How would we be a better team?
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #172: Aug 15, 2017 02:47:14 am
      Surely those saying the captaincy should be removed from Hendo could AT LEAST give us a name?

I didn't say it SHOULD be removed. I said MAYBE it's time to give somebody else a go. I mean it didn't sit right with me when Henderson was made captain in the first place. Has he changed my mind in the years he's been captain? No.

He was Rodger's choice as captain remember, not Klopp's. I will be honest in saying that I don't even think Henderson is good enough for Liverpool, let alone to captain Liverpool.

'Give a name' you know what, I would love to. I can't though, not one with any distinction of him being a good captain. Why? Because there is no leaders in the team? Still? Yeah because we havent signed anybody.

People who think Henderson should be captain 'cos he's english and been here a while are basically just picking him by default. I hate to say it but it is sort of an embarrassment that Jordan Henderson is captain of Liverpool for me.

There's a lot of people posting on this topic that need to get out of Hendersons arse.
      Kopite78
      Reply #173: Aug 15, 2017 07:31:03 am
      What people need to keep in mind is that two managers of this club have picked him as captain, one coming in with a fresh eye on the squad who could have changed it but didn't.. A couple of England managers have picked him as a captain.. . Steven Gerrard has spoken very highly of him as a leader and the right captain of the club. (Before he was actually named captain)

You'd think they all know something no? Maybe it's one of those things that some of us just need to park and accept that within the game and the club he's highly thought of in this role?

« Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017 08:02:06 am by Kopite78 »
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #174: Aug 15, 2017 07:45:33 am
      What people need to keep in mind is that two managers of this club have picked him as captain, one coming in with a fresh eye on the squad who could have changed it but didn't.. A couple of England managers have picked him as a captain.. . Steven Gerrard has spoken very highly of him as a leader and the right captain of the club.

You'd think they all know something no? Maybe it's one of those things that some of us just need to park and accept that within the game and the club he's highly thought of in this role?
      This is the type of reasoning that stops people from having an opinion, whether wrong or right. Managers are not always right, neither are former players.

This is essentially the only team that Henderson would start for in any of the top 6 teams, I would wager that he would not even get into the bench of most of the other 5 teams. That is the level to which he plays the game.

Brendan Rodgers and Jürgen Klopp have both started Dejan Lovren, Carragher spoke highly of him too; do people think that he is not worth upgrading on because this forms some type of empirical evidence?
      Kopite78
      Reply #175: Aug 15, 2017 07:58:16 am
      This is the type of reasoning that stops people from having an opinion, whether wrong or right.

No it's not

I'd didn't say people are wrong I simply said that people need to keep in mind that he is highly thought of by numerous people within the game for his leading abilities and that people just saying he's not a leader should consider that when they say he's not.

Whether former players and managers aren't  always right is of course right but they can't all be wrong if they all see him (with the things we don't see and never will) as a good leader that people and players look up to.. Which he must be or it's just a conspiracy to annoys us that they all pick him as their leader.

Brendan Rodgers and Jürgen Klopp have both started Dejan Lovren, Carragher spoke highly of him too; do people think that he is not worth upgrading on because this forms some type of empirical evidence?

Well of course not, I'd thank you for not putting words in my mouth.

I think we can say with a fair amount of confidence that had/if Klopp got/gets VVD then Lovren wouldn't be first choice.
      As for Carragher, he spoke (with Neville ) on MNF about Lovren being superb at Southampton and they both put him in their team of the season at that point, but Southampton set up completely different to us and he's more exposed now, he has since on numerous occasions slaughtered us for how we defend.

Again I wasn't saying it's not a debate, I was simply saying that it's worth keeping in mind that numerous people talk about how the squad look up to him, that the things we will never see on a daily basis must back that up and that more than one person in different teams and situations pick him as captain. Klopp has had numerous opportunities to pick his own man and not much would have been made of it and he has... Henderson

But debate away... I'm not one for stopping that
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #176: Aug 15, 2017 08:58:40 am
      I like this debate.  It doesn't hurt to have it, and there isn't an opinion on here that isn't valid and sincere.

Despite regularly having misgivings about him, I voted that Jordan should stay as captain. 

Because:
         *At the moment, he's fit and playing.  JK had plenty of opportunities last season to strip JH of the captaincy, due to the
         uncertainties about his fitness, form and availability, and chose not to do it.  I'd give him time to prove he can stay fit this
         season, at least.  What does dropping him as captain say to him and the squad at this point?
         *When he plays, he is in an ideal position to communicate and has the verbals in him.
         *He clearly has loyalty and pride in the club.
         *There are plenty of people who genuinely know the club from the inside who unequivocally back JH as captain.  They know him.
         *There are few genuine alternatives.  Dejan, maybe, but I think he lacks an air of authority, certainty and calm.  Lallana is the
         only other candidate I would suggest, as he is key to our playing style, always gives everything, and is quite vocal as well as
         having a bit of bite about him.
         *He tells refs to "fook off" like a good captain should!

I must admit to some admiration for Jordan (Don't tell me I'm "up his arse."  Just don't).  He does a lot of vital work and often doesn't get noticed or appreciated, although I admit there are times when I'm screaming at him to do something more positive.
      To come through the foot injury (one that actually disables many sufferers for years) and convince his manager he's good enough, both to play and to remain captain, takes character, guts and pride in himself.  Captain's attributes.  Just my opinion.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #177: Aug 15, 2017 10:53:53 am
      To be honest I don't see the big fuss about the armband. I'd expect everyone on the pitch to be acting in their natural manner regardless of being a captain or not.

We don't have a great amount of leaders in our squad IMO but some people naturally lead and others don't. Personally think Hendo falls into the first catagory and we definitely have bigger issues than who our captain is.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #178: Aug 19, 2017 04:45:29 pm
      After this season so far, are his performances is captain material?
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #179: Aug 19, 2017 05:43:27 pm
      After this season so far, are his performances is captain material?

He's not been great but come on, 3 games in.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #180: Aug 25, 2017 01:55:11 pm
      Nah happy with Hendo's work. Always a voice to be heard on pitch (may not lead by example like gerrard did).

My thoughts are if Hendo get's injured and Milly isn't on the pitch who does get the armband? For me it's got to be Can or Matip?
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 334 
      Reply #181: Aug 25, 2017 01:56:53 pm
      Nah happy with Hendo's work. Always a voice to be heard on pitch (may not lead by example like gerrard did).

My thoughts are if Hendo get's injured and Milly isn't on the pitch who does get the armband? For me it's got to be Can or Matip?

If he's there, it's Lallana for me.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #182: Aug 25, 2017 04:15:11 pm

1. Hendo
      2. Milner
      3. Lallana
      4. Matip
      5. Firmino
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #183: Aug 25, 2017 05:09:51 pm
      Should  we .... ?