Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 49794 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #184: Aug 25, 2017 07:44:59 pm
      Given that Hendo's the only person on the pitch shouting
      I am not sure that is right.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #185: Aug 27, 2017 07:19:32 pm
      Does Can have a good shout to be Captain?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #186: Aug 27, 2017 07:34:33 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #187: Aug 27, 2017 10:07:32 pm
      Given that Hendo's the only person on the pitch shouting it'd be very quiet if Jürgen chose someone else.

I also think you've got to give the lad huge credit for being the only one on the pitch who gets to see the most of Jürgen's angry teeth and still smiles like a giddy f**ker at the end when he gets a Jürgen hug.

They showed a cool bit in the post-game show here, where before an Arsenal free kick at something like 87 minutes and us up 4-0, Henderson is shouting at a teammate or teammates to get into position. The way he conducts himself in the post-game interview well speaks well of him as fit for the role. Sometimes it's the team's best player, but usually it isn't.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #188: Aug 29, 2017 07:15:08 pm
      As long as he's available for 85% of games, and not injured for 50% of them, don't mend it if it isn't broken !
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #189: Aug 29, 2017 07:20:51 pm
      As long as he's available for 85% of games, and not injured for 50% of them, don't mend it if it isn't broken !
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #190: Aug 29, 2017 07:44:31 pm
      Why would anyone honestly think it would be a good idea for Klopp to take the captaincy away from Hendo at this point? I mean that's just silly. What kind of message does that send and look at how it then castrates Jordan. I think there are a couple of guys that you could pick above him for Captain but at this point, I don't think it would be a good idea, so let him keep the armband.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #191: Aug 29, 2017 10:29:18 pm
      Why would anyone honestly think it would be a good idea for Klopp to take the captaincy away from Hendo at this point? I mean that's just silly. What kind of message does that send and look at how it then castrates Jordan. I think there are a couple of guys that you could pick above him for Captain but at this point, I don't think it would be a good idea, so let him keep the armband.

Exactly. It's not like back in the day when Stevie took over the armband from Sami (who was a great captain in his own right). There are no other outstanding candidates in the squad so why change it. Particularly now the season has started.
      Harrisimo

• 7,970 posts | 1356 
      Reply #192: Aug 30, 2017 06:00:35 pm
      Being captain does not guarantee a place. Henderson will find it hard enough to get a place with this squad. Just signed Alex Ox and he prefers central midfield.

It's all up for grabs..only sustained top form will get you in.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #193: Sep 09, 2017 07:22:40 pm
      Hendo clearly not really giving a crap today.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #194: Sep 09, 2017 07:24:10 pm
      Mane or Bobby only options. Rest are fairys far too quiet
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #195: Sep 09, 2017 07:54:43 pm
      Every time we lose someone posts in this thread.

Please see the Knee Jerk Reaction thread.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #196: Sep 09, 2017 09:07:48 pm

That's because in losses problems are more easily seen and Jordan is one of them.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #197: Sep 09, 2017 09:22:33 pm
      That's because in losses problems are more easily seen and Jordan is one of them.

Yea so let's pick a new person to wear a band around their arm, that'll solve any problems we have.

Shame that people don't learn their lesson with Jordan. Deserves more credit than threads like this where people lick their lips waiting for a loss so they can blame Henderson.

For what it's worth, every write up I've read about the game had him as our best player today (not that it's an achievement). Not seen the game however so I can't say that for sure... However wouldn't be surprised if he was and people still blame him.

We lose. 'Captain should be dragging the team to a performance'.
      We win. 'Great team display' no mention of the captain.

Pathetic.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #198: Sep 09, 2017 09:47:33 pm
      Yea so let's pick a new person to wear a band around their arm, that'll solve any problems we have.

Shame that people don't learn their lesson with Jordan. Deserves more credit than threads like this where people lick their lips waiting for a loss so they can blame Henderson.

For what it's worth, every write up I've read about the game had him as our best player today (not that it's an achievement). Not seen the game however so I can't say that for sure... However wouldn't be surprised if he was and people still blame him.

Pathetic.

We have deeper problems than who wears the armband and in the current set up Hendo would be my choice as captain. But he's the best of a bad bunch, we lack leadership and it's plain to see in these types of games where we roll over and have our belly tickled.

A few years back we had the likes of Kuyt, Stevie, Carra, Agger, Pepe, Alonso, Masch. Hendo is nowhere near that level in terms of leadership in my opinion and the team now couldn't be more different to that set up which had leaders all across the park. May not have won anything with them but we never gave up like we did today and Klopp needs to take a long hard look at it.

Personally think people pick Henderson out because he has the armband and reflects the lack of leadership in our team, so of course he will become the first target.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #199: Sep 09, 2017 10:11:50 pm

Nevermind about a defense that has players we should've shipped out/replaced years ago.

Hendo is no SG, but the fact that there is NOBODY in the whole damn squad who's obviously (better) captain material (and imho don't think Milner is a 'better' option) says WAY more about recruitment and development at the club over the years than it does about Jordan.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #200: Sep 09, 2017 10:29:34 pm
      You take the 13/14 Hendo, a player that is box to boxing, presses and running all day long, that is my captain and inspiration, but you take the last few seasons of Hendo playing deep... meh!
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #201: Sep 09, 2017 10:34:33 pm
      The simple fact of the matter is we don't really posess players who are mentally able to take the job on. Normally you'd look to your centre backs, but Matip rarely opens his mouth. The goalie is an accident waiting to happen so can't do it, we've got a kid and a nutcase playing in the two full back slots, Wijnaldum would only be able to do the job at home, and Can is off anyway. None of the front players are right for it.

The only sensible option for the future captain role is Lovren  :lmao:, and in the 35% of games where he is Rolls Royce he'd be perfect for it. Unfortunately he'd struggle in the 40% of games where he is bang average, and when he is in "shake like a sh!tting dog" mode the other 25% of the time it'd be a disaster.

Henderson remains the best option of a really not very bad bunch. 
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #202: Sep 09, 2017 10:42:24 pm
      F**k it.

Get Stevie force-fed the diuretic pills they confiscated off Mama, get Paul McKenna in to hypnotise him, stick a couple of Segways on his boots and get him on the park.......

Or in the real world just accept the skipper isn't gonna change anytime soon and find another cause celebre.......
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #203: Sep 10, 2017 03:45:14 am

Pathetic.

Where did I say it was about picking a new Captain, if you look I say that we have actually very little choice but picking Jordan which is also an issue. When you're reduced to the best of the worst it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

You carry on with your "Jordan Henderson is LFC captain material", I'll confidently carry on in the knowledge that off the field he's a shining example of how to be a model professional, on it he's a shrinking violet that would accept the responsibility of his own sh*te.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #204: Sep 10, 2017 07:34:10 am
      Where did I say it was about picking a new Captain, if you look I say that we have actually very little choice but picking Jordan which is also an issue. When you're reduced to the best of the worst it's hardly a ringing endorsement.

You carry on with your "Jordan Henderson is LFC captain material", I'll confidently carry on in the knowledge that off the field he's a shining example of how to be a model professional, on it he's a shrinking violet that would accept the responsibility of his own sh*te.

Cool.

You carry on denying it. I'll carry on agreeing with the paid professionals who have made him captain of club and country.

No offence Luke, but I think their opinion outweighs yours on this one.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #205: Sep 10, 2017 11:36:43 am
      Coutinho is no longer an option. Lucas gone, Milner will retire soon, Mignolet sucks, Sturridge hardly plays. Lallana is looking like Captain Material if he can return and put a good season in. I'd hand him the armband at the end of the season if I were Klopp.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #206: Sep 10, 2017 11:42:44 am
      Cool.

You carry on denying it. I'll carry on agreeing with the paid professionals who have made him captain of club and country.

No offence Luke, but I think their opinion outweighs yours on this one.
      Let's be honest here, Hendo was a lazy option from Southgate after Rooney retired last minute before internationals. He's obviously going to pick a club captain. If Henderson is long term captain.. waste of time entering world cup. Zidane, Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Pirlo, Henderson... Pick the odd one out.

Answer:  Henderson never made anybodies dream team.

I refuse to believe that the best we can come up with is what half our fans see as mediocre and rivals see as a pathetic choice. Not really showing any ambition when our Captain should be a squad player.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2017 11:47:05 am by Ribapuru »

Quick Reply