Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Yes.
      73 (52.1%)
      No.
      67 (47.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Should Klopp pick a new captain?

Read 49781 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Should Klopp pick a new captain?
      Reply #368: Oct 19, 2017 11:59:21 am
      Jesus this is like an alternative evangelist’s thread....... :roll:

Conviction or obsession.

Pun intended.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #369: Oct 19, 2017 12:25:55 pm
      Milner is vice-captain. Think Rodgers give him the role. Very unlikely to oust Hendo tho. The captain issue may come up next season esp if Hendo does lose his place. The thing is we will still rumble on with Hendo as captain but look at the others..is Can playing with the mindset that he wants away. That leaves Wijnaldum and Hendo...doesn't excite does it.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #370: Oct 19, 2017 12:46:59 pm

Based on age and experience or has he shown hes a proper leader on a regular?
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #371: Oct 19, 2017 01:46:39 pm

Can't pick a captain that not a first team regular
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #372: Oct 19, 2017 01:51:33 pm
      I noticed during the game against Maribor the number of times, Milner was talking, or instructing, some of the other players. Don't remember ever seeing Hendo doing the same. Think the boss has a problem now after the destruction of Maribor. Does he go back to the crab or stick with Milner.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #373: Oct 19, 2017 02:15:58 pm
      I noticed during the game against Maribor the number of times, Milner was talking, or instructing, some of the other players. Don't remember ever seeing Hendo doing the same. Think the boss has a problem now after the destruction of Maribor. Does he go back to the crab or stick with Milner.

Do you remember Gerrard doing that?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #374: Oct 19, 2017 02:50:49 pm

That’s a good point. It was mainly JC.

But... Gerrard did his talking through his play i.e dead ball deliveries/shots, hard tackles, delicate play, deft first touches.

He had the ability to do that, unfortunately Henderson and all the others just don’t. That’s the difference.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #375: Oct 19, 2017 03:07:43 pm

I think sometimes you had to be at a live match to see acts of leadership from Gerrard that otherwise wouldn't have been picked up by the tv cameras.

I remember clearly being at the Crystal Palace match back in 2013 and I remember Raheem Sterling having an absolute shocker. Passes awry, giving away silly fouls and you could see it all unravelling for him despite the rest of the team performing brilliantly (Liverpool won the match 3-1 if you recall). Worse, the ground really sensed it but during a break in play (during a corner that Raheem had given away) you could see Gerrard having a little chat with Raheem. While Sterling didn't go on to have a blinder from that point on (he did win a penalty though which Gerrard converted) I think it definitely stemmed the flow against him in that match.

He may not have been the remonstrating, arms flailing about and pointing in all directions type of captain and the broad view of him is the 'lead by example' approach but he always knew when to step in on his own terms. I think that suited his persona, a persona that has always seemed quite reserved (maybe even a little shy) off the field. And for sure, Gerrard would always have an equally quiet word with the referee if he felt there were injustices being committed against his team and if he felt they weren't being dealt with he'd usually act upon it himself.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #376: Oct 19, 2017 06:57:26 pm
      I must be taking the piss? You think I base my opinion on Milner captaincy credentials based on one game? I actually seen Milner play more than once believe it or not. He isn't always brilliant, but no player is... when he is brilliant it has a massive impact.  Last game shown that perfectly, however you disagree so you think I must be taking the piss? I think it is you who is taking the piss with you constant insults to the poster instead of debating the content. You like to throw around mentally challenged, trolls, taking the piss etc.. insults. I'm not the only one who doesn't rate Hendo but does rate Milner and believe it or not, Milner has had long spells of being captain at Liverpool before when Hendo has been out. I don't agree with Klopp on everything, but Klopp has said Milner is a perfect professional according to the Echo. Your inability to provide any rational but just sit there with sad little insults just shows what you, the hender defender has been reduced to.

Hang on a sec here, I've seen you post often enough about a player being over 30 means "his legs have gone" and Milner's now 31, so why would you want a captain of that age, when you insist over 30 means they are in terminal decline?

I mean, you've used this argument about Suarez and Messi, so why is Milner different?
      Given his workrate, surely his "legs are gone" even sooner than what you claim is the average?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #377: Oct 20, 2017 12:52:43 am
      Hang on a sec here, I've seen you post often enough about a player being over 30 means "his legs have gone" and Milner's now 31, so why would you want a captain of that age, when you insist over 30 means they are in terminal decline?

I mean, you've used this argument about Suarez and Messi, so why is Milner different?
      Given his workrate, surely his "legs are gone" even sooner than what you claim is the average?
      I would not buy a player at 31, but he is here and still quite good. 30 is not a terminal decline, but I would not usually buy a player at 31 unless it is an exception. I'd have took ibrahimovic over Benteke aslong as there weren't a transfer fee for an aging player.

Same goes for Suarez or Messi, wouldn't splash cash they would demand at their age, but if Suarez wanted to come here at 32 on a free, it would be all good.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #378: Oct 20, 2017 09:18:26 am
      I would not buy a player at 31, but he is here and still quite good. 30 is not a terminal decline, but I would not usually buy a player at 31 unless it is an exception. I'd have took ibrahimovic over Benteke aslong as there weren't a transfer fee for an aging player.

Same goes for Suarez or Messi, wouldn't splash cash they would demand at their age, but if Suarez wanted to come here at 32 on a free, it would be all good.

Come on mate that's utter gash. If Suarez come back here for £50 mil there is a good chance we win the league.

Even over 30 years old he is better than Kane, Lukaku and Morata. If you wouldn't pay good money for an aged Suarez or Messi, who fyi has scored over 50 goals in 7 of the last 8 seasons you're bonkers.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #379: Oct 20, 2017 11:13:07 am
      Come on mate that's utter gash. If Suarez come back here for £50 mil there is a good chance we win the league.

Even over 30 years old he is better than Kane, Lukaku and Morata. If you wouldn't pay good money for an aged Suarez or Messi, who fyi has scored over 50 goals in 7 of the last 8 seasons you're bonkers.
      High risk though, any season could be his last. If he got a serious injury or just naturally slowed down etc...  there are well established players out there that would fit in perfectly here and between 23-27. Maybe twisting my arm I could have Suarez for 25m at 31 on a 2 year contract if he was still world class, but 50m? Not really long term enough to command that much money. About Milner though, he is already here and can replace Henderson as captain.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #380: Oct 20, 2017 03:40:11 pm
      Yes .  New captain.

Can :   as first choice      Vice Captain :    Milner or Lucas

Nothing has changed since June except Lucas .

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #381: Oct 20, 2017 03:42:53 pm
      High risk though, any season could be his last. If he got a serious injury or just naturally slowed down etc...  there are well established players out there that would fit in perfectly here and between 23-27. Maybe twisting my arm I could have Suarez for 25m at 31 on a 2 year contract if he was still world class, but 50m? Not really long term enough to command that much money. About Milner though, he is already here and can replace Henderson as captain.

Suarez only started hitting his peak from 26 onwards. He's still in that peak. Only a madman would say no to Suarez. 
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #382: Oct 20, 2017 03:44:57 pm
      Hes no captain. Though hed be my 2nd pick. Thus highlighting our lack of leaders.

When Gerrard was captain we also had Reina Carra Hyppia Masch Alonso all talking instructing. Thats what you need.

Our current crop havent a voice between them

Exactly .
      That was a team of leaders .
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #383: Oct 21, 2017 06:15:12 am
      Suarez only started hitting his peak from 26 onwards. He's still in that peak. Only a madman would say no to Suarez.
      shortly after you posted that he revealed he needs surgery. Am I still a madman to not want to fork out for expensive ageing players?

Don Balon say the 30-year-old feels he needs surgery in order to rediscover the form that made him so deadly during Luis Enrique’s tenure.

That could happen at the end of December but, until then, Suarez could be out of action.

www.express.co.uk/sport/football/868996/Barcelona-News-Luis-Suarez-Lionel-Messi-Olympiakos-La-Liga

After that revaluation, would you still pay 50m and high weekly wages for a player who is on the sidelines waiting for surgery at 31 years old?

I'm thankful he's not here otherwise we'd have built our whole team around one injured player.

It's going to be increasing difficult for Suarez to return from surgery and perform to the standard of his peak in the last two seasons.

Suarez timing on this is obviously because he wants to maximize his chances of making the Uruguay national team.
      « Last Edit: Oct 21, 2017 12:51:54 pm by Ribapuru »
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #384: Oct 23, 2017 09:56:16 am
      Rodgers on Lovren: He has a commanding and powerful presence and clearly has leadership skills, which is important - he fits the profile of player we are looking for. :lmao:
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #385: Oct 28, 2017 09:01:16 pm
      Passenger today, shown nothing to get the team going. Total passenger in the side.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #386: Oct 28, 2017 09:04:17 pm
      Passenger today, shown nothing to get the team going. Total passenger in the side.

I think you were watching a different game.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #387: Oct 28, 2017 09:42:49 pm

What Rodders said.

Plus you’re a tool.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #388: Oct 28, 2017 09:48:11 pm

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he's watching something entirely different to football. Something like handball with some player called "Henderson" and he keeps passing the ball around like they do in handball. There's no other logical explanation for why his comments are always so far away from reality.

Thought he did well today, his passing was remarkably more positive and incisive. He does have it in him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #389: Oct 28, 2017 10:07:23 pm

Just admit you didn’t watch the game, there’s no way you could have and made that comment.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #390: Oct 28, 2017 10:21:02 pm
      What Rodders said.

Plus you’re a tool.
      Scotia, you are usually okay, but your post there did not debate my opinion, it is an insult. I will return it. Your a douche.
      Now you have a choice, return another insult and I can return another one, or just choose to leave it as even.
      I was not watching a different game, I can find multiple people in the match thread who share that opinion too.

Quick Reply