Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 584511 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434, stuey and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #2737: Dec 21, 2020 05:56:36 pm
      Sancho has had a rough year so wonder if that means he could be had on the cheap (compared to what he would have cost before).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,333 posts | 4960 
      Reply #2738: Dec 21, 2020 10:29:25 pm
      We will be a poorer team without him..

Iā€™d like to see all our front 3 end their careers at Liverpool... that would be nice for a change..

Agree 100%.

They're the best in the World but as I always say if someone does end up wanting to leave then let them go and bring in another player who is hungry to be hear.

I've not doubt Mo probably would like to try Spain before he retires but I'd like it to be in a few more years if that really is the case.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #2739: Dec 21, 2020 10:50:31 pm
      Agree 100%.

They're the best in the World but as I always say if someone does end up wanting to leave then let them go and bring in another player who is hungry to be hear.

I've not doubt Mo probably would like to try Spain before he retires but I'd like it to be in a few more years if that really is the case.

Probably won't get the money for him then no way they will cough up 100m plus for a 30+ yr old will go for Mbappe, Haaland or Sancho
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2740: Dec 21, 2020 10:58:26 pm
      I may be wrong but seems much ado about nothing to me. Doubt either Spanish team could afford him at the moment
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2741: Dec 21, 2020 11:51:48 pm
      I may be wrong but seems much ado about nothing to me. Doubt either Spanish team could afford him at the moment

Yes his price is premium right now
      Scottbot

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #2742: Dec 22, 2020 12:49:53 am

Was thinking the same thing, all clubs are struggling right now with no match day revenues so Iā€™d be surprised if anyone has the cash. There might be a bit of discontentment regards the captaincy issue but as for the reaction after the goals, for me it came across as low key because the goals made it 6-0 and then 7-0. Iā€™d like think it was simply a bit of humility
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #2743: Dec 22, 2020 01:36:38 am
      Iā€™m actually a little intrigued as to why he was disappointed with not being named captain. Was he told or led to believe by Klopp he was in line to be captain? After Henderson, I believe Virgil and Gini were voted by their teammates as 2nd and 3rd captains and Trent makes sense to be next in line. Salah is our top scorer but that does not make someone captain.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 491 
      Reply #2744: Dec 22, 2020 05:20:48 am
      So much discussion  based on sh*t stirring source. No one can afford him, and there is no better club than Liverpool. Barcelona are toast(in financial department too). Same with Real Madrid; they expect 300 million less revenue this year.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,480 posts | 2863 
      Reply #2745: Dec 22, 2020 07:07:32 am
      Iā€™m actually a little intrigued as to why he was disappointed with not being named captain. Was he told or led to believe by Klopp he was in line to be captain? After Henderson, I believe Virgil and Gini were voted by their teammates as 2nd and 3rd captains and Trent makes sense to be next in line. Salah is our top scorer but that does not make someone captain.

Was Salah the most experienced player that started? I know JĆ¼rgen used to give the armband to whoever was the most senior so maybe that's why he expected it?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #2746: Dec 22, 2020 10:19:23 am
      Was Salah the most experienced player that started? I know JĆ¼rgen used to give the armband to whoever was the most senior so maybe that's why he expected it?

I can see why Salah would be a little disappointed, Klopp actually referenced it before the game that captain goes to whoever has been at the club longest. Trent did make sense considering heā€™s local and destined to be a one club man.

But at the same time I can see how it might have hurt Salah.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,506 posts | 3457 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #2747: Dec 22, 2020 10:26:42 am
      Was thinking the same thing, all clubs are struggling right now with no match day revenues so Iā€™d be surprised if anyone has the cash. There might be a bit of discontentment regards the captaincy issue but as for the reaction after the goals, for me it came across as low key because the goals made it 6-0 and then 7-0. Iā€™d like think it was simply a bit of humility

Barcelona can't even afford the repairs on the roof at the ground
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #2748: Dec 22, 2020 10:32:48 am
      I can see why Salah would be a little disappointed, Klopp actually referenced it before the game that captain goes to whoever has been at the club longest. Trent did make sense considering heā€™s local and destined to be a one club man.

But at the same time I can see how it might have hurt Salah.
      Well that settles it because Trent has been at the club a hell of a lot longer than Mo. I do understand his frustration, people like Mo are driven to achieve all the accolades and Iā€™m sure captaining the club is one of them but if not being given the opportunity causes him to want to leave the club then thatā€™s on him.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2749: Dec 22, 2020 10:46:33 am
      I doubt for a second Mo is that mentally weak that not being captain in a meaningless game is the end of the world for him.

And one thing to add, no player in recent history bar Carra who came through the system stays, even Stevie finished elsewhere, so its more then probable Mo will go at some stage. For those of you who crumble at that prospect, we have always replaced great strikers with another.

Go back to Hunt and St John, in came Keegan and Toshack, then when they were done in came Kenny and Rushie, etc
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #2750: Dec 22, 2020 11:12:01 am
      Media talk.

Transfer window bullshit to sell rags.
      rossyred

• 9,313 posts | 1671 
      Reply #2751: Dec 22, 2020 12:07:54 pm
      Possible leverage around  a new contract also
      CT_LFC

• 6,815 posts | 1407 
      Reply #2752: Dec 22, 2020 01:34:35 pm

If that was the case Bobby has been here longer than Klopp himself and Mane I believe came the year before Mo.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #2753: Dec 22, 2020 01:49:02 pm
      Smack my hand for sharing but I strongly recommend subscribing to the brilliant Athletic which has the excellent and well informed Simon Hughes writing for it

Salah's flirting with Barca and what it means for his contract negotiations

By Simon Hughes for The Athletic

Mohamed Salah is a reluctant talker, but that does not mean he is introverted. The last time he agreed to an interview with anyone in the British media, outside his clubā€™s in-house operation, I was there.

He was only persuaded because heā€™d just broken the 40-goal barrier for Liverpool in his first season at Anfield. He was friendly enough and I liked that bit of spirit and spike about him, the sort of qualities you see in his play. Yet I quickly formed the impression that he was holding himself back, that heā€™d rather be elsewhere. After three minutes and 58 slightly awkward seconds, he was gone.

It cannot be easy being the most famous footballer to come from a country where there is totalitarian rule, as there is in Egypt. Your words matter. You have to be careful what you say. Especially when your hero and friend Mohamed Aboutrika lives in exile having been placed on a terrorist watchlist for what he has said (and supposedly done) in the past. Doubly when voters spoil ballots by using your name in elections where all of the forecasts are predictably in favour of the controlling party.

Salah expressed gratitude to his team-mates at the Football Writersā€™ Awards ceremony in May 2018 when he collected his winnersā€™ trophy. In April 2019, he spoke to Time Magazine about womenā€™s rights. That aside, he has told the world very little about himself since returning to England in 2017.

It was unusual for him, then, to grant Spanish sports paper AS a sit down in person and in front of a camera at a COVID-19-secure location on Merseyside in the middle of a pandemic, with the contents published yesterday. It was also unusual for him to be as candid as he was, posing later with an AS microphone in front of a Christmas tree.

There were two revelations, the first being that he was ā€œvery disappointedā€ to be overlooked for a captaincy role in this monthā€™s Champions League dead rubber at Midtjylland, the second relating to a new contract being in Liverpoolā€™s hands. Not so revealing was the description of Barcelona and Real Madrid as ā€œtop clubsā€, though perhaps telling neither were described as ā€œtop teamsā€.

In journalism, securing an interview is the archetypal scoop. Salah appears to have gone off grid at a club where most things go to plan. Yet there tends to be an ulterior motive when a player talks so openly, particularly if he is usually so cautious.

The landscape and the surroundings of Salahā€™s future currently looks like this: the 28-year-old has two and a half years to run on his current deal, which is worth around Ā£200,000 a week. His next contract might be the most lucrative of his career, but everything agreed after that will be on reduced terms. Barcelona, meanwhile, have presidential elections next month and there are men who will make big promises to ensure that soon they will be able to walk the corridors of power at the Camp Nou. Elsewhere, Real are desperate to sign Kylian Mbappe from Paris Saint-Germain but financial restrictions might make that pursuit more challenging than it would have been in the past.

The Athletic understands that JĆ¼rgen Klopp and other key figures at Liverpool do not view Salahā€™s comments as a matter of frustration. It would have been understandable if Kloppā€™s decision to leave Salah on the bench against Crystal Palace on Saturday was his way of reminding him who is in charge, yet sources close to the manager suggest heā€™d decided before Liverpoolā€™s victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night that heā€™d give his leading scorer an hourā€™s rest at Selhurst Park before introducing him for Sadio Mane.

Salah also emphatically suggested to AS that he was determined to break records at Anfield ā€” ā€œI repeat, every recordā€. The victory over Palace held historical significance, with Liverpool winning by a seven-goal margin away from home in the league for the first time in 106 top-flight years, with seven different players assisting the goals, the first time thatā€™s happened in the Premier League. The result means Klopp has guided Liverpool to more wins than any other manager in the Premier League era, too.

Facts such as these reflect the variety of the threat posed by one of the most exciting Liverpool teams ever. This is a team that could allow Salah to realise his collective sporting ambitions as well as his personal ones. There is a temptation to think this might be the start of an exit strategy, but it is just as plausible that Salah wants to stay for a long time. Perhaps all he needs is an assurance that the club feel the same way, especially in the climate of COVID-19, which is expected to have caused north of Ā£100 million in lost revenues.

Salah will be 31 at the end of his current contract, so sporting director Michael Edwards knows that he and Klopp have tough decisions ahead. Georginio Wijnaldum is likely to depart on a free transfer next summer and, at 30, he is one of the most influential players in Kloppā€™s starting XI. Perhaps it shows there is a willingness at Anfield to be bold when navigating such rocky waters.

(Photo: Adam Davy/PA Images via Getty Images)

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,104 posts | 2129 
      Reply #2754: Dec 22, 2020 02:50:32 pm
      Smack my hand for sharing but I strongly recommend subscribing to the brilliant Athletic which has the excellent and well informed Simon Hughes writing for it

Mohamed Salah is a reluctant talker, but that does not mean he is introverted. The last time he agreed to an interview with anyone in the British media, outside his clubā€™s in-house operation, I was there.

He was only persuaded because heā€™d just broken the 40-goal barrier for Liverpool in his first season at Anfield. He was friendly enough and I liked that bit of spirit and spike about him, the sort of qualities you see in his play. Yet I quickly formed the impression that he was holding himself back, that heā€™d rather be elsewhere. After three minutes and 58 slightly awkward seconds, he was gone.

It cannot be easy being the most famous footballer to come from a country where there is totalitarian rule, as there is in Egypt. Your words matter. You have to be careful what you say. Especially when your hero and friend Mohamed Aboutrika lives in exile having been placed on a terrorist watchlist for what he has said (and supposedly done) in the past. Doubly when voters spoil ballots by using your name in elections where all of the forecasts are predictably in favour of the controlling party.

Salah expressed gratitude to his team-mates at the Football Writersā€™ Awards ceremony in May 2018 when he collected his winnersā€™ trophy. In April 2019, he spoke to Time Magazine about womenā€™s rights. That aside, he has told the world very little about himself since returning to England in 2017.

It was unusual for him, then, to grant Spanish sports paper AS a sit down in person and in front of a camera at a COVID-19-secure location on Merseyside in the middle of a pandemic, with the contents published yesterday. It was also unusual for him to be as candid as he was, posing later with an AS microphone in front of a Christmas tree.

There were two revelations, the first being that he was ā€œvery disappointedā€ to be overlooked for a captaincy role in this monthā€™s Champions League dead rubber at Midtjylland, the second relating to a new contract being in Liverpoolā€™s hands. Not so revealing was the description of Barcelona and Real Madrid as ā€œtop clubsā€, though perhaps telling neither were described as ā€œtop teamsā€.

In journalism, securing an interview is the archetypal scoop. Salah appears to have gone off grid at a club where most things go to plan. Yet there tends to be an ulterior motive when a player talks so openly, particularly if he is usually so cautious.

The landscape and the surroundings of Salahā€™s future currently looks like this: the 28-year-old has two and a half years to run on his current deal, which is worth around Ā£200,000 a week. His next contract might be the most lucrative of his career, but everything agreed after that will be on reduced terms. Barcelona, meanwhile, have presidential elections next month and there are men who will make big promises to ensure that soon they will be able to walk the corridors of power at the Camp Nou. Elsewhere, Real are desperate to sign Kylian Mbappe from Paris Saint-Germain but financial restrictions might make that pursuit more challenging than it would have been in the past.

The Athletic understands that JĆ¼rgen Klopp and other key figures at Liverpool do not view Salahā€™s comments as a matter of frustration. It would have been understandable if Kloppā€™s decision to leave Salah on the bench against Crystal Palace on Saturday was his way of reminding him who is in charge, yet sources close to the manager suggest heā€™d decided before Liverpoolā€™s victory over Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday night that heā€™d give his leading scorer an hourā€™s rest at Selhurst Park before introducing him for Sadio Mane.

Salah also emphatically suggested to AS that he was determined to break records at Anfield ā€” ā€œI repeat, every recordā€. The victory over Palace held historical significance, with Liverpool winning by a seven-goal margin away from home in the league for the first time in 106 top-flight years, with seven different players assisting the goals, the first time thatā€™s happened in the Premier League. The result means Klopp has guided Liverpool to more wins than any other manager in the Premier League era, too.

Facts such as these reflect the variety of the threat posed by one of the most exciting Liverpool teams ever. This is a team that could allow Salah to realise his collective sporting ambitions as well as his personal ones. There is a temptation to think this might be the start of an exit strategy, but it is just as plausible that Salah wants to stay for a long time. Perhaps all he needs is an assurance that the club feel the same way, especially in the climate of COVID-19, which is expected to have caused north of Ā£100 million in lost revenues.

Salah will be 31 at the end of his current contract, so sporting director Michael Edwards knows that he and Klopp have tough decisions ahead. Georginio Wijnaldum is likely to depart on a free transfer next summer and, at 30, he is one of the most influential players in Kloppā€™s starting XI. Perhaps it shows there is a willingness at Anfield to be bold when navigating such rocky waters.

Good article that (from a great writer). Perfectly within his rights to start looking for a new and improved contract. He's been a stalwart and a true star these past 3 years. Perhaps he feels the club are a little lackadaisical? Certainly don't want to be put in a position like Gerrard in 05 where he was getting mixed messages from the club as to whether they really wanted him to stay or had their eyes fixed on the money.
      Tadders

• 6,831 posts | 580 
      Reply #2755: Dec 22, 2020 03:57:40 pm
      ok then, if he does go, he will be 29/30 and we would probably get at least 100m -  not bad business.

He will then goto a team that has no JĆ¼rgen, VVD, Trent, Hendo, Robertson, Mane & Bobby - to name a few.

I think as long we keep JĆ¼rgen, any player is entitled to do what they want - and they will.

I remember the Mo of Chelsea and Roma.....he probably does too.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #2756: Dec 22, 2020 04:00:17 pm

Naughty naughty ;D Was wondering if I should post it at as well tbh, neatly summarises why this may or may not be an issue. Been signed up to the Athletic for Ā£1 a month for 6 months, well worth it at that price.
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #2757: Dec 22, 2020 04:30:16 pm
      Naughty naughty ;D Was wondering if I should post it at as well tbh, neatly summarises why this may or may not be an issue. Been signed up to the Athletic for Ā£1 a month for 6 months, well worth it at that price.
      The Atheltic is just too class in its coverage
      liverpoolcore
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 104 posts | 10 
      Reply #2758: Dec 22, 2020 04:31:05 pm
      Possible leverage around  a new contract also
      could be, especially even more when news of Van Dijk's new deal could make him highest paid LFC player
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,440 posts | 8656 
      Reply #2759: Dec 22, 2020 06:30:16 pm
      I thought part of the reason was also because he believed he should of been captain in the champs league game against the Danes instead of TAA

Quick Reply