Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 546666 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #782: Apr 29, 2018 12:33:12 am
      Mo Salah is so important to Muslim children like mine
      The shouts echo around my house as Mohamed Salah scores a sublime opening goal against Roma in the UEFA Champions League semi-final on Tuesday night. My children, Hanaa, aged eight, and Muhammad, six, beam from ear to ear as we all watch Salah lay face down on the ground, in his trademark goal celebration.

The rise of Liverpool's Egyptian King hasn't gone unnoticed in homes like mine across the country, if not the world. At the top of his game, Mohamed Salah is uniting communities. He will pray on the pitch, he will sport his beard with pride and he will play some of the best football you have seen this year. Do you have any idea how powerful that is to children like mine? He's a role model of our time.

I was born and brought up in east London, England to parents that emigrated here from Yemen and Burma. Unlike many people my age, I never struggled with the notion of belonging to this country. However, I am more than aware that in today's climate children from faith and minority backgrounds don't feel the same. They are exposed to a news agenda that makes them apprehensive about displaying their Islamic heritage.

So it's not surprising when a player like Salah comes along it sparks pride in their hearts. My daughter Hanaa watches in awe when Salah raises his hands to the heavens and prays after scoring a goal. "Mamma, we do that too!" she says.

As with Islamic tradition, many men of the faith have beards. Salah is no different. So when I catch my six-year-old son standing in front of a mirror trying to pick at tiny baby hairs on his chin and proclaim he too has a beard now just like Salah, my heart soars. He is arguably the best player in the world right now.

Mohamed Salah is bringing communities together and I for one am relishing it. Banners depicting him as a Pharoah are held aloft around Anfield. Songs and chants about mosques and Muslims ring out around stands up and down the country by Liverpool fans who have taken him to their heart. They're full of love and admiration, and Muslims around the world are excited to see it.

In his home country of Egypt, Salah is King. The jewel in the crown of his national team, his status was cemented when he scored the winning penalty that saw his side through to this summer's World Cup finals in Russia. Whether he plays for Liverpool or Egypt, for 90 or so minutes he unites a fractured nation and political rivalries are set aside as cafes and homes across Egypt cheer on this mega star.

As a hijab-wearing woman, it is fantastic watching women in headscarves of Liverpool red or the Egyptian flag celebrate alongside Salah's male fans. And that's why for families like mine, it's more than just a game of football.

A few weeks ago, Hanaa came home from school visibly distressed. There had been talk amongst her group of friends of a campaign to attack Muslims on the 3 April. She was scared and upset. We spent the next few days explaining that it was a tiny minority of people who didn't understand Islam and Muslims, and the majority of people in this country didn't feel like that at all. Unfortunately when 3 April came around, she didn't want to go out - she was still too frightened. As parents, it broke our hearts. How do you explain to young children that there isn't anything to be afraid of, when the reality is, we think about these risks almost daily?

But Mohamed Salah is changing the perception of Muslims, and it's wonderful to see. For the first time in a long time, Muslims aren't the bogeymen. My Liverpool-supporting friends who aren't Muslim echo the sentiment. They tell me his status and character is important to celebrate because it challenges the views of the narrow-minded.

I don't profess to be an expert on football tactics or the history of the game. All I know is that Mohamed Salah has done more for interfaith relations in his short sweet time at Liverpool than any campaign I can remember. He is unapologetically Muslim. That's how I like to think of him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-43921603?SThisFB

Enjoy the read!!!
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #783: Apr 29, 2018 01:21:03 am
      Violent conduct
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #784: Apr 29, 2018 10:37:21 am

For bullying, defenders :D
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #785: Apr 29, 2018 11:40:21 am
      ??? .... Did you watch the video..?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #786: Apr 29, 2018 11:42:23 am
      Other than a few blert a on Twitter (for a couple hours after game) I’ve only seen it here.........
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #787: Apr 29, 2018 11:54:04 am
      I think because it is totally out of character from Salah and he did get the sh*t kicked out of him all game, I hope they will not make a thing out of it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #788: Apr 29, 2018 11:57:32 am

Yes, I did. He was defending himself :D It was out of character and should not have done it!
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #789: Apr 29, 2018 11:58:17 am
      Other than a few blert a on Twitter (for a couple hours after game) I’ve only seen it here.........

Sky sports news have shown it, didn't dwell on it so a nothing story.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #790: Apr 29, 2018 04:21:28 pm

It's nothing, a push at best, which I've seen loads of players do, Gazza did it all the time. Haven't heard anything specifically mentioned in the media today, so I wouldn't worry about it.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #791: Apr 29, 2018 04:54:31 pm
      It's nothing, a push at best, which I've seen loads of players do, Gazza did it all the time. Haven't heard anything specifically mentioned in the media today, so I wouldn't worry about it.

To be honest, he is media favorite and (it was nothing) if it was Suarez or Balotelli, the media would have jumped :D

It was nothing, not an issue.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #792: Apr 30, 2018 03:54:08 am
      I still can't believe he missed that goal.....I was celebrating it as soon as he got it in the forward half.

Gobsmacked. Would of and should have been Number 44.

Even the great ones F**k up sometimes, hey?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #793: Apr 30, 2018 06:39:09 am
      Messi now ahead in the race for the golden shoe. Let’s hope this gives some added incentive for a hat trick against the chavs.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #794: Apr 30, 2018 10:23:14 am
      Messi now ahead in the race for the golden shoe. Let’s hope this gives some added incentive for a hat trick against the chavs.

Fuckkkkk
      nikos
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 637 posts | 123 
      Reply #795: Apr 30, 2018 11:56:46 am
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #797: Apr 30, 2018 06:23:27 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #798: Apr 30, 2018 06:29:06 pm
      Someone will explain to me why ronaldo is seen as a rival to mo for the ballon d'or, serious stat padding with a lot of penalties,  messi is the only one on the same level this season
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #799: Apr 30, 2018 06:31:18 pm

Notice they kept Mignolet away from holding him!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #800: Apr 30, 2018 08:25:05 pm
      Milner getting good at the tweeting lark

https://twitter.com/JamesMilner/status/991000121994285057
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #801: May 01, 2018 10:37:48 am
      Another day, another award! Well deserved.

Liverpool FC's Mohamed Salah has won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #802: May 01, 2018 04:31:00 pm
      Another day, another award! Well deserved.

Liverpool FC's Mohamed Salah has won the Football Writers' Association Footballer of the Year award.

So in his first season with us, he was won:

- 3 PL Player of the Month awards (a PL record by the way)
      - African Footballer of the Year
      - PFA Player of the Year
      - FWA Player of the Year

He is also in contention to win a:

- Golden Boot
      - European Golden Shoe
      - Champions League medal

Along the way he has also broken (or is on course to break) several longstanding club and league records.

If he wins those last 3 then he has got to be favourite to win the Ballon D’or. I know indiviadual accolades don’t mean much to some supporters but I would love to see this guy crowned as the world’s best.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #803: May 02, 2018 10:10:09 am
      So in his first season with us, he was won:

- 3 PL Player of the Month awards (a PL record by the way)
      - African Footballer of the Year
      - PFA Player of the Year
      - FWA Player of the Year

He is also in contention to win a:

- Golden Boot
      - European Golden Shoe
      - Champions League medal

Along the way he has also broken (or is on course to break) several longstanding club and league records.

If he wins those last 3 then he has got to be favourite to win the Ballon D’or. I know indiviadual accolades don’t mean much to some supporters but I would love to see this guy crowned as the world’s best.

I want him to win every award possible. Golden Shoe gonna be the hardest. Messi one ahead with 4 League games to play. Salah with 2 League games left.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #804: May 03, 2018 08:36:39 am
      Mo has fallen way down this list, is it because he had a mediocre game at his old haunt?

Quick Reply