Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Mohamed Salah Player Thread (F)

Read 562892 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Mohamed Salah Player Thread
      Reply #4807: Jun 28, 2022 01:47:02 pm
      Pay Salah what he's worth as a top 3 player in world football, if we don't how can we be held accountable for showing loyalty to his abilities.

If we decide the wages are too much for squad harmony then we let him leave on a free with our thanks and best wishes.

The guy has been an absolute legend, performs week in week out with hardly any disruption to his fitness!

It's not greedy to want to be paid your worth or close to it 🙂

ever heard of Oil rich clubs do you think we can compete because it is them who are inflating things out of control. I am not one of FSG's biggest fans but the finances of the club have been handled well maybe too well at times but pushing Mo's wages up so far will drag along a lot of other players. It is greed when you put your own desires ahead of the rest of the club knowing what you are doing could be damaging to the club.
      Mo came here as a former Premier league flop he has excelled and moved on to a different level but this has been alongside a top manager and better players he hasn't done it alone.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #4808: Jun 28, 2022 02:31:02 pm
      Pay Salah what he's worth as a top 3 player in world football, if we don't how can we be held accountable for showing loyalty to his abilities.

If we decide the wages are too much for squad harmony then we let him leave on a free with our thanks and best wishes.

The guy has been an absolute legend, performs week in week out with hardly any disruption to his fitness!

It's not greedy to want to be paid your worth or close to it 🙂

sh*t like this is why Barcelona are toast.
      You can't just expect every top club to behave like State owned clubs.
      If they did, they'd go bankrupt.

And that's not to say that the top players shouldn't look to get paid that last big paycheque.
      Just accept the fact that it likely won't be at Liverpool.

It's not all bad. The value the club got with Mane and Salah in their pomp on those wages.
      Greatest squad that ever represented the club. Won everything there was to win.
      Now Klopp will have to rebuild another great squad.
      As it should be.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,804 posts | 1399 
      Reply #4809: Jun 28, 2022 03:18:41 pm
      True enough.

I think like Mane its not greed for the sake of it though, he does a lot for charities back home and such.

Think its more a status thing with salah.

Footballer are not the real world if you think about the wages too much it fries the brain its stupid really.

Agree. For these star players it's probably not just the money (they already make more than they'll ever need) but a status/ego thing. They are not the everyday folk so we cannot compare them to the rest of the world and say "you would have done the same thing".

For the average person, a new job at a higher salary can be life-changing, being able to afford a house, or a new car, or go on vacation, or save for retirement, kids' college, whatever. For start athletes, on a base salary of 250K/week, they can already own as many houses as they want, go on as many vacations as they want, buy any cars/toys they want, etc. And that's before bonuses, image rights and sponsorships.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2022 03:26:45 pm by CT_LFC »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4810: Jun 28, 2022 03:18:50 pm

Has the club got salah's replacement lined up ... the one JĆ¼rgen really wants and is he available this summer?

Get the feeling we don't have someone lined up right now, so reckon Salah will be here till January at least. Club could still make a chunk of change for him in the winter window if something got sorted out then.

Lot of talk about Bellingham next summer, so bringing in both him and a replacement for Salah at that time would be two very big transfers.

At least we've grasped the nettle and are getting new blood in, and they look to be quality, though they have very big boots to fill, lets see.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #4811: Jun 28, 2022 04:58:36 pm
      Get the feeling we don't have someone lined up right now, so reckon Salah will be here till January at least. Club could still make a chunk of change for him in the winter window if something got sorted out then.

Lot of talk about Bellingham next summer, so bringing in both him and a replacement for Salah at that time would be two very big transfers.

At least we've grasped the nettle and are getting new blood in, and they look to be quality, though they have very big boots to fill, lets see.
      You not reckon Nunez is effectively Salahā€™s replacement with Diaz the replacement for Mane? Have we just been smart and done it in advance allowing them time to bed in? Then we also have Jota and Firmino (may need to replace the latter if he doesnā€™t sign a new contract). Does Carvahlo play in the front three? Going forward could he and Kaide Gordon be the replacements for the likes of Origi and Minamino?

So itā€™s maybe a case of replacing Firmino (if he does indeed leave) rather than replacing Salah. Iā€™m sure we can agree there would be less pressure replacing his contribution compared to Salah (no disrespect to Bobby, love him as a player). I think 6 players competing for 3 positions is fair - we were a little spoiled with Diaz coming in earlier than planned in January. 
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2022 05:05:17 pm by ConzS »
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #4812: Jun 28, 2022 05:47:54 pm
      Sh*t like this is why Barcelona are toast.

And that's not to say that the top players shouldn't look to get paid that last big paycheque.

It's not all bad. The value the club got with Mane and Salah in their pomp on those wages.
      As it should be.

Mate I agree and that's my point, too many fans saying he should sign, he won't sign unless we pay his worth on the market which we wont, the club and the structure is way more important ā¤ļø I'd be happy to have him next year and see him leave for free rather than try to force a sale which he may refuse knowing he will get a huge signing on fee next summer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4813: Jun 28, 2022 09:58:22 pm
      I think Sadio and Mo have done us a favour we have had their best years and we are now forced to rebuild and we already have with Diaz and Nunez I trust JĆ¼rgen he knew the team needed to be different this year and I expect some heavy metal sh*t to happen.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2022 10:11:32 pm by waltonl4 »
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #4814: Jun 28, 2022 10:16:37 pm
      You not reckon Nunez is effectively Salahā€™s replacement

No, not for me, not if we wanna finish ahead of Citeh in the PL.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #4815: Jun 29, 2022 09:36:06 am
      You not reckon Nunez is effectively Salahā€™s replacement

Nope, Nunez plays central or on the left.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #4816: Jun 29, 2022 10:36:14 am
      Mate I agree and that's my point, too many fans saying he should sign, he won't sign unless we pay his worth on the market which we wont, the club and the structure is way more important ā¤ļø I'd be happy to have him next year and see him leave for free rather than try to force a sale which he may refuse knowing he will get a huge signing on fee next summer.

He doesn't want to be here this season. His eyes are firmly fixed on his incoming riches. Turned down a fortune from the club who truly helped put him on the map.

If someone pitched up now and offered the riches he's got his eyes on next Summer he'd be off quicker than you can say take me to the bank. BUT at least we would get something in to help replace him.

Sorry ... sell him now ... 40-50m all in and find another Diaz ... another mane ... another salah. Someone who wants to be here and part of the rebuild. I'm set on this now. I respect others see it differently and that's fine. No right or wrong. Certainly not saying my view is right. It's just how I feel. It's a difficult situation. Just deal with it now.

This will end in acrimony.  And it just isn't worth it. I'll always appreciate and respect what salah has done here. But he's greedy and driven my oil club wages and totally blind to his teammates like alisson and vvd who are the worlds best in their position yet are happy with around 1/4 million a week. He's blind to the real world and the sustainability of the club he 'allegedly' loves and is allegedly 'made for him'. Whatever. I've lost respect for him now.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4817: Jun 29, 2022 11:00:02 am
      in our selling players or players leaving on a free are we actually creating a pool of money from Wages that could give Mo what he wants  ?.
      Still no word from either party which I hope is good news so Come on Mo put us out of our misery and sign a deal which 99.9999999% of this planet would kill for
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,514 posts | 1766 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #4818: Jun 29, 2022 11:17:00 am
      Id rather mo stays for another season scores another 30 odd goals then leaves on a free, than him being chased out the club now or January for some more money.

Obviously prefer him to sign the new deal that has been offered.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #4819: Jun 29, 2022 11:29:01 am
      Sh*t like this is why Barcelona are toast.

As it should be.

This ^^^
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,358 posts | 1028 
      Reply #4820: Jun 29, 2022 02:53:44 pm
      Nope, Nunez plays central or on the left.
      My thinking was less simple than that. Not a case of a direct like for like replacement because itā€™s obvious the differences between the players both style wise and positionally.

Nunez appears to be a different kind of forward from what we have seen Klopp go for here and some people have already hinted at a potential change in system. I donā€™t think itā€™s crazy to suggest that, having paid the money we did, we would be expecting him at some point to be a major goal contributor. Thatā€™s where he might be seen as the replacement for Mo (or at least bridge the gap).

There does appear to be a rather imbalance in the forward positions given Diaz, Nunez and Jota have all been seen to play from the left. If Salah does indeed go I'd imagine any forward brought in would be someone who can operate on the right. So you could say he would replace Salah chronologically but what I was getting at was that he wonā€™t be expected to come in and match his goal contribution.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,921 posts | 4986 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #4821: Jun 29, 2022 04:05:13 pm
      I think that JĆ¼rgen, Pep, Pete, Julian Ward et al have been very very astute here, although I never heard whisperingā€™s but it is my belief that the three amigos were being fazed out between this season and next, and reinforced when Luis Diaz arrived in January and more or less confirmed by the arrival of Nunez, of course you could argue that Jota coming in was the start of the rebuild !

All of the above knew contractā€™s were nearing their conclusion, and if new contracts got signed I think no change would have happened for another season or two, but since contract negotiations had broken down in particular Moā€™s case, I think the decision to replace was made perhaps 18 months back maybe more,

In Maneā€™s case I donā€™t think itā€™s about money as such for him, itā€™s more of wanting a different challenge, heā€™d had already won everything with us, so in his eyes he could do no more, yes heā€™ll get more money at Bayern, but Bayern clearly donā€™t have a wage structure/ limit like what FSG have, and I think he and JĆ¼rgen had discussions regarding his future long before the media had sniffed out the rumours of his leaving, giving further credence when Diaz signed,

As for Mo, well I donā€™t think any of us can begrudge what he wants, he knows, we know & JĆ¼rgen knows thatā€™s not going to happen here, so what is the next best thing for both parties ?

Stay with us for his last season and obviously run his contract down, or put him up for sale hoping for to cash in accepting the highest bid, I prefer him to have a last hurrah season where he can easily bag 20-25 goals if not more then bid him farewell and a proper send off, with our blessings, I donā€™t see the point in holding on to a player whoā€™s mind may be elsewhere during the season, so best to get things agreed & settled then everyone knows where they stand,

I like the way we do our business, very quietly but also very quickly, identifying targets who fit, then ensuring due diligence on that target before make enquiries, how many have come in that were  proper surprises, Robbo, Naby, Thiago, Joel, Konate, Mo, Mane, Diaz, Jota, and now Nunez,

None of us know it yet but Iā€™m betting the next one thru the door will have similar levels of class JĆ¼rgen sees, and will improve no end, and none of us can or should feel disappointment now Mane has left or if Mo runs down his contract and leaves for free, both have given their all and then some, and not one of us can ask for anymore!!

Y  N  W  A

woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #4822: Jun 29, 2022 06:22:07 pm
      ever heard of Oil rich clubs do you think we can compete because it is them who are inflating things out of control. I am not one of FSG's biggest fans but the finances of the club have been handled well maybe too well at times but pushing Mo's wages up so far will drag along a lot of other players. It is greed when you put your own desires ahead of the rest of the club knowing what you are doing could be damaging to the club.
      Mo came here as a former Premier league flop he has excelled and moved on to a different level but this has been alongside a top manager and better players he hasn't done it alone.

Sorry but I disagree, we gave Salah a platform to perform and he's exceeded our expectations.

I'm all for letting him go on a free rather than jeopardize squad harmony but if we are to offer him a new contract how can we say to the work he's the best player when we offer him less than John Stones at City.

I reiterate l, it's not greedy to be paid what you're worth and I applaud FSG for standing by their principles.

I will thank Salah and wish him luck when he leaves but we will move on and keep winning games of football āš½
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #4823: Jun 29, 2022 06:24:25 pm
      He doesn't want to be here this season. His eyes are firmly fixed on his incoming riches. Turned down a fortune from the club who truly helped put him on the map.

If someone pitched up now and offered the riches he's got his eyes on next Summer he'd be off quicker than you can say take me to the bank. BUT at least we would get something in to help replace him.

Sorry ... sell him now ... 40-50m all in and find another Diaz ... another mane ... another salah. Someone who wants to be here and part of the rebuild. I'm set on this now. I respect others see it differently and that's fine. No right or wrong. Certainly not saying my view is right. It's just how I feel. It's a difficult situation. Just deal with it now.

This will end in acrimony.  And it just isn't worth it. I'll always appreciate and respect what salah has done here. But he's greedy and driven my oil club wages and totally blind to his teammates like alisson and vvd who are the worlds best in their position yet are happy with around 1/4 million a week. He's blind to the real world and the sustainability of the club he 'allegedly' loves and is allegedly 'made for him'. Whatever. I've lost respect for him now.

I'd be all for selling now providing he wants to leave and doesn't feel we go behind his back so I hope your belief is correct 💯
      gazred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 828 posts | 298 
      Reply #4824: Jun 29, 2022 06:26:26 pm
      The 3 best paid players in football are Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar. They are all past their prime and are in decline but got a big contract because of their previous reputation. Their motivation to focus on football and winning games is in decline. Ronaldo less than the other 2, some people would say Neymar never had enough motivation to focus on football during  his career.

It looks like Mo wants to join that group of players. That's his choice and I thank him for all he has done for the club. But Liverpool under Klopp are not the club for these type of players. We have built a team of players who prioritise winning and developing their game more than money.

I'm happy for Mo to stay for a season, I think he will probably want to be prem league top scorer again and he can go on a free. I don't think we should try to force him out for 40/50 mil.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1211 
      Reply #4825: Jun 29, 2022 06:31:08 pm
      My feeling is I would love him to sign but truth be told the way this has dragged out I am now bordering on 'not arsed' if he leaves on a free as I can't be arsed worrying about one player, however important they may be, as the ethic of this club and its support is, and always has been, a collective and not an individual one, and I have full faith in the manager and the path we are on. It would be a shame if he chose no longer to be a part of that due to wanting mega mega money instead of just mega money but ultimately that would be for him to come to terms with at the end of his footballing career.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #4826: Jun 29, 2022 06:39:46 pm
      You simply don't sell him unless we have someone coming in.

He won't kick up a fuss and will play out his contract to get the love he wants next summer I feel.

If we have possibility to replace him this summer then I'd look to off load if we've exhausted any chance of him signing, which I think we have.

We won't offer him what he wants it seems and rightly so in my opinion if it's beyond what the club are willing to pay in relation to the rest of the squad.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4827: Jun 29, 2022 07:09:19 pm
      You simply don't sell him unless we have someone coming in.

He won't kick up a fuss and will play out his contract to get the love he wants next summer I feel.

If we have possibility to replace him this summer then I'd look to off load if we've exhausted any chance of him signing, which I think we have.

We won't offer him what he wants it seems and rightly so in my opinion if it's beyond what the club are willing to pay in relation to the rest of the squad.

I just can't see FSG letting him go for free it would give JH a coronary. Maybe give him his deal and then sell him next season as a way of seeing it as a good deal for the club. I just cant see the club and JĆ¼rgen sitting back and letting this get out of their control. His form nosedived after the AFCON and look how well we did with Mo and Sadio away. Its a very delicate balance for the club to manage I would love to be a fly on the wall when JĆ¼rgen is asked what he wants to do about this.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #4828: Jun 29, 2022 08:42:03 pm
      I just can't see FSG letting him go for free it would give JH a coronary. Maybe give him his deal and then sell him next season as a way of seeing it as a good deal for the club. I just cant see the club and JĆ¼rgen sitting back and letting this get out of their control. His form nosedived after the AFCON and look how well we did with Mo and Sadio away. Its a very delicate balance for the club to manage I would love to be a fly on the wall when JĆ¼rgen is asked what he wants to do about this.

The situation is almost out of their control now mate. Really, once he told us more or less to shove our 1/4 million a week we should have took control and made plans for this summer to sell and replace.

Problem is if they go for someone JĆ¼rgen wants too late the selling club won't sell. I hope/can see things possibly developing when they are back for preseason. But I'm sure conversations are taking place between JĆ¼rgen and the powers that be and have been over the Sumner.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #4829: Jun 29, 2022 09:13:30 pm
      The situation is almost out of their control now mate. Really, once he told us more or less to shove our 1/4 million a week we should have took control and made plans for this summer to sell and replace.

Problem is if they go for someone JĆ¼rgen wants too late the selling club won't sell. I hope/can see things possibly developing when they are back for preseason. But I'm sure conversations are taking place between JĆ¼rgen and the powers that be and have been over the Sumner.

at this point I just cant see JĆ¼rgen or FSG having their leg lifted I guess if he starts the season with no change then he will see his contract out.

Quick Reply