Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Our current owners and transfer committee

Read 31058 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Our current owners and transfer committee
      Reply #92: Jul 08, 2017 01:14:22 pm
      In past I think that's definitely the case, but I feel they are getting better at securing targets (granted they couldn't get much worse). I'm more than willing to hold fire until the window shuts.

I feel I'm being painted as an FSG shill of sorts, I'm very happy to lay into the owners, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now, that ends when the window shuts, until then I'm enjoying my summer and worrying about if I'm having larger or spirits not negotiation times.

If I look back over their tenure, it's a different picture than the one that gets painted here.
      Andy Carroll and Suarez in their first window, one a huge success, the other turned out to be an injury prone party animal.

I think it's the merry go round of managers that has seen us suffer, rather than bad signings or an inability to sign players.

Then we have the same people who complain they never spend any money, also complaining when (according to them) we "overpay" for a player, and bizarrely, some had a pop because they wanted a bit more cash for Wisdom than was being offered first up.

Lots of circular arguments, very little logic. Like how those monsters forced Suarez out of Anfield, despite the fact he spent 2 summers telling the press he wanted to leave as soon as his arse was outside Melwood.

Seriously, have a look at the players they've bought since coming here.
      They've backed every manager.
      OK, we've sold players, and recouped most of the money with the occasional big hit (Carroll and Balotelli) going down the pan, but this is a case where the net spend argument doesn't really hold up, at least imo.
      Have we improved since the days of Hodgson and Paul F***ing Konchesky?
      Yes, without a doubt.
      Have we improved as much as we could have done?
      No, but as I said, I think that's down to the lack of management stability as much as anything.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #93: Jul 08, 2017 01:23:54 pm
      If I look back over their tenure, it's a different picture than the one that gets painted here.
      Andy Carroll and Suarez in their first window, one a huge success, the other turned out to be an injury prone party animal.

I think it's the merry go round of managers that has seen us suffer, rather than bad signings or an inability to sign players.

Then we have the same people who complain they never spend any money, also complaining when (according to them) we "overpay" for a player, and bizarrely, some had a pop because they wanted a bit more cash for Wisdom than was being offered first up.

Lots of circular arguments, very little logic. Like how those monsters forced Suarez out of Anfield, despite the fact he spent 2 summers telling the press he wanted to leave as soon as his arse was outside Melwood.

Seriously, have a look at the players they've bought since coming here.
      They've backed every manager.
      OK, we've sold players, and recouped most of the money with the occasional big hit (Carroll and Balotelli) going down the pan, but this is a case where the net spend argument doesn't really hold up, at least imo.
      Have we improved since the days of Hodgson and Paul F***ing Konchesky?
      Yes, without a doubt.
      Have we improved as much as we could have done?
      No, but as I said, I think that's down to the lack of management stability as much as anything.

I think we have done very well at cutting out the tat signings in recent years. Yes they have backed every manager I agree, but now we are seeing less signings for more rather than more for less. For every Suarez there was an Alberto and Aspas. We've seen in recent years a more direct sign for the first team approach with youth as a secondary option. I think they are getting it slowly and surly.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #94: Jul 08, 2017 01:30:45 pm
      I think we have done very well at cutting out the tat signings in recent years. Yes they have backed every manager I agree, but now we are seeing less signings for more rather than more for less. For every Suarez there was an Alberto and Aspas. We've seen in recent years a more direct sign for the first team approach with youth as a secondary option. I think they are getting it slowly and surly.

I'm not so sure Mags.
      I think all clubs have a mixture of good and bad signings, and all (big) clubs try to buy the best youngsters.
      Chelsea of course have used buying youngsters as a way of banking talent, and their loan book with all those young players out at other clubs is huge, although to be fair it's also a way for them to get around FFP.

For me, I don't think they've done too badly, but they need to step it up now if they want sustained CL and push for the title, and it looks to me like they are doing that.
      I suppose the crunch will be if we don't get Keita, will we pursue another option, or wait and try again?
      That, for me, is the real issue.

Then again, I usually go along with "if the manager's happy, that's good enough for me", the reason being, Klopp has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #95: Jul 08, 2017 01:37:17 pm
      I'm not so sure Mags.
      I think all clubs have a mixture of good and bad signings, and all (big) clubs try to buy the best youngsters.
      Chelsea of course have used buying youngsters as a way of banking talent, and their loan book with all those young players out at other clubs is huge, although to be fair it's also a way for them to get around FFP.

For me, I don't think they've done too badly, but they need to step it up now if they want sustained CL and push for the title, and it looks to me like they are doing that.
      I suppose the crunch will be if we don't get Keita, will we pursue another option, or wait and try again?
      That, for me, is the real issue.

Then again, I usually go along with "if the manager's happy, that's good enough for me", the reason being, Klopp has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.

True, Chelsea in particular do that, but they also sign big money first team players too. I'm happy to see the end of the 8 million 'risk' like Alberto, Aspas, Borini or Asaidi and see more Mane and Salah type players come in
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #96: Jul 08, 2017 01:47:15 pm
      True, Chelsea in particular do that, but they also sign big money first team players too. I'm happy to see the end of the 8 million 'risk' like Alberto, Aspas, Borini or Asaidi and see more Mane and Salah type players come in

I agree, but I also think it's about balance, in trying to find (and keep) the best young players we can, whilst building a real quality first team.
      Aspas I'd refer to as a "stocking filler" kind of signing, but to me Alberto was well worth a gamble.
      Aspas seemed to me the type of signing where the manager wanted someone just because the money was there to spend, something I don't really see with Klopp, or not yet anyway ;)

When I think of the young talent we've brought in, I can't help thinking of something Gerrard said recently about young players no longer relishing the physical aspects of the game, with Markovic being a very good example of this; all the talent you could ask for, but lacking a pair of balls for the physical side of the game.

So, while I agree that adding real quality to the first team squad is important, I also think that getting young players with the right mentality could play a huge part in the clubs future.
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #97: Jul 08, 2017 02:15:10 pm
      I don't go hunting for them, unlike yourself.

I always post what I believe whether people like it or not This should be self evident with my views on Rafa amongst other things. If people agree with them fine, if not; that is equal fine by me. I believe that is the purpose of forms like this, to air those views... I love hearing others views, and unlike you I know that I am not always right...

Now you think you'll get more pluses for insulting certain members, including myself.

If there is one thing that is clear here and speaks to what i believe is that i try to avoid trading insults and name calling. I don't like insult people even when some deserve it. Can you say the same...?
      This site is about opinions, mine are no more valid than anyone else's, beside unlike everyone else here who a passionate about Liverpool Football Club, you are (to me at least) unique in that the only thing that you seem passionate about is FSG

I saw you tried it in the news threads a while back but got short shrift, as those who you thought were "on your side" turned on you, as they will again with this pathetic charade you are playing out pretending to be a "fierce critic".

If people choose not to discus a tread written by me then it must have been rubbish in the first place.

As for the people being on my side bit, WTF does that even mean?...

I don't post here for people to pat me on the back or give me Pluses...  I grantee that for ever plus that someone as given me they have disagree with me more often than not, just two example of that Magillionare, and mcarz, two of many people here and there are plenty of others.... I love the debate here and reading other peoples points of view, whether I agree with them or not, only thing i look to people to be is open minded, which is not the case i find with you. With you it seem to me it is all about being right

And speaking of posting crap, didn't you tell us all a while ago, that you would rather finish outside the top 4 so we would only buy "sh*t players" (your words) and so avoid the "disappointment" of another summer where we spent nothing on quality, conveniently overlooking the fact that Klopp is perfectly happy with the business done since he's been here.

How's that working out for you?

That is fine by me, and I still stand by that, but it would be nice if you could find the full quote so we could see it in its full context and not just the part that makes you look good.....

Feel free to reply I'll go back too ignoring you, makes for a better site experience for all
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #98: Jul 08, 2017 02:20:02 pm
      I always post what I believe whether people like it or not This should be self evident with my views on Rafa amongst other things. If people agree with them fine, if not; that is equal fine by me. I believe that is the purpose of forms like this, to air those views... I love hearing others views, and unlike you I know that I am not always right...

If there is one thing that is clear here and speaks to what i believe is that i try to avoid trading insults and name calling. I don't like insult people even when some deserve it. Can you say the same...?
      This site is about opinions, mine are no more valid than anyone else's, beside unlike everyone else here who a passionate about Liverpool Football Club, you are (to me at least) unique in that the only thing that you seem passionate about is FSG

If people choose not to discus a tread written by me then it must have been rubbish in the first place.

As for the people being on my side bit, WTF does that even mean?...

I don't post here for people to pat me on the back or give me Pluses...  I grantee that for ever plus that someone as given me they have disagree with me more often than not, just two example of that Magillionare, and mcarz, two of many people here and there are plenty of others.... I love the debate here and reading other peoples points of view, whether I agree with them or not, only thing i look to people to be is open minded, which is not the case i find with you. With you it seem to me it is all about being right

That is fine by me, and I still stand by that, but it would be nice if you could find the full quote so we could see it in its full context and not just the part that makes you look good.....

Feel free to reply I'll go back too ignoring you, makes for a better site experience for all

An awful lot of effort to say F**k all and try to keep sh*t stirring.

How is it you think everyone is allowed an opinion except me?
      Why are others allowed to stick by their opinion, and yet I'm not, in your view?
      An opinion, by it's very nature, means someone thinks it is right, so why are others allowed to stick by their opinion, and yet I'm not?

Like I said, just another F***ing plus whore.
      You think that by having a pop and making sh*t up about the owners you'll somehow become one of the "in crowd".
      Good luck with that.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #99: Jul 08, 2017 02:22:56 pm
      In past I think that's definitely the case, but I feel they are getting better at securing targets (granted they couldn't get much worse). I'm more than willing to hold fire until the window shuts.

I feel I'm being painted as an of sorts, I'm very happy to lay into the owners, but I'm giving the benefit of the doubt for now, that ends when the window shuts, until then I'm enjoying my summer and worrying about if I'm having larger or spirits not negotiation times.

A lot of what you say make sense, and I don't, nor have i ever seen you as "FSG shill" it is just a lots of us feel frustrated after see it season after season and can see it happening yet again... Al the national rags are talk about our rivals, sports new too, and as for as LFC the silents is deafening... I use to love the transfer window, and look forward to them with glee...FSG has killed that litte pleasure off for me
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #100: Jul 08, 2017 02:25:28 pm
      An awful lot of effort to say f**k all and try to keep sh*t stirring.
      How long have we not communicated with one another, and pray tell who was the one who started this back up???  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Carry on mate
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #101: Jul 08, 2017 02:32:45 pm
      How long have we not communicated with one another, and pray tell who was the one who started this back up???  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Carry on mate

You did, when you came out and told me I was "blathering", whatever that means, in an attempt to try and farm pluses.

You even went so far as to tell me I wasn't allowed to have an opinion because it didn't agree with everyone elses.
      Then you thought that facts were the same as opinions, when you butted into a discussion about the club accounts.

In short, you have tried to play a popularity card by agreeing with what you think is a consensus on here, and started abusing those who didn't follow the consensus in an attempt to get more pluses.
      It's all pretty pathetic really, and the only reason you're not throwing abuse at Mags is because of his mod status.

Anyway, I'll pop you on ignore with the other fuckwits, and get back to talking about football.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #102: Jul 08, 2017 02:36:45 pm

How is it you think everyone is allowed an opinion except me?
      Why are others allowed to stick by their opinion, and yet I'm not, in your view?
      An opinion, by it's very nature, means someone thinks it is right, so why are others allowed to stick by their opinion, and yet I'm not?

Show me where I said that?... Did say that my opinion is no more valid than anyone else's which mean that your opinion carries the same weight as mine

Like I said, just another f**king plus whore.

As I stated earlier My post are in black and white for all to read

You think that by having a pop and making sh*t up about the owners you'll somehow become one of the "in crowd".
      Good luck with that.

That exactly what i meant when I said that you show more passion for FSG than you do for LFC

Bye mate have a nice life,truly wish you the best (no sarcasm meant)
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #103: Jul 08, 2017 02:44:35 pm
      You did, when you came out and told me I was "blathering", whatever that means, in an attempt to try and farm pluses.

You even went so far as to tell me I wasn't allowed to have an opinion because it didn't agree with everyone elses.
      Then you thought that facts were the same as opinions, when you butted into a discussion about the club accounts.

In short, you have tried to play a popularity card by agreeing with what you think is a consensus on here, and started abusing those who didn't follow the consensus in an attempt to get more pluses.
      It's all pretty pathetic really, and the only reason you're not throwing abuse at Mags is because of his mod status.

Anyway, I'll pop you on ignore with the other fuckwits, and get back to talking about football.

:f_doh:

Your post indirectly aim at "whom"  Today at 12:32:17 pm » please note the time

Nah mate, it's an underlying issue with people thinking they'll get more pluses for posting crap.

My post Today at 12:34:51 pm » again please note the time

Must be why you have so many pluses then  :f_whistle:

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #104: Jul 08, 2017 02:53:25 pm
      I think you maybe miss my point Stuey, every window is different, some good buys some bad etc but to speculate about everything that goes on during the window is pointless as we don't really know what is happening apart from media rumours etc and that is why I stated you can only evaluate the window after it has closed.

Maybe a lot of the speculation is because of boredom and no football.

All of a sudden, sensible people who usually take media stories with a pinch of salt seem to believe everything they read.

The season can't start soon enough for me, although no doubt we'll have 6 months of people arguing about "2nd or 3rd choice" signings, when the reality is they're just signings that the manager thought would improve us.
      No club gets all their targets, and we're no exception.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #105: Jul 08, 2017 03:04:22 pm
      Wait, wait.... Mags is a mod?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #106: Jul 08, 2017 03:09:28 pm

haha, my bad, getting mixed up again.

Although...
      IMO one of the best posters on here
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #107: Jul 08, 2017 03:45:35 pm
      I think you maybe miss my point Stuey, every window is different, some good buys some bad etc but to speculate about everything that goes on during the window is pointless as we don't really know what is happening apart from media rumours etc and that is why I stated you can only evaluate the window after it has closed.

I rather think with Jürgen at the helm mate we have little worries about ''bad buys''.
      You're right we don't know the detail of the goings on in the transfer window, what worries some is the thought that the owners will go into the coming season where we have the opportunity of CL football, with the inherent weaknesses of previous seasons.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,542 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #108: Jul 08, 2017 03:54:25 pm

More of a rocker surely (showing my age)
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #109: Jul 08, 2017 04:26:38 pm
      Maybe a lot of the speculation is because of boredom and no football.

All of a sudden, sensible people who usually take media stories with a pinch of salt seem to believe everything they read.

The season can't start soon enough for me, although no doubt we'll have 6 months of people arguing about "2nd or 3rd choice" signings, when the reality is they're just signings that the manager thought would improve us.
      No club gets all their targets, and we're no exception.
      I doubt that even you believe some of the things that you post.

Suarez, Carroll, Henderson, Downing, Doni, Adam, Enrique, Coates, Bellamy, Borini, Allen, Assaidi, Sturridge, Coutinho, Ibe, Alberto, Aspas, Toure, Mignolet, Ilori, Sakho, Can, Lambert, Lallana, Markovic, Lovren, Origi, Moreno, Balotelli, Grujic, Firmino, Gomez, Bogdan, Ings, Milner, Clyne, Benteke, Karius, Matip, Mane, Klavan, Wijnaldum, Salah.

You are looking at 43 first team players signed since the current owners took over. Suarez, Sturrdige, Coutinho, Mane have been over and above value for money, Salah looks like he will be a quality addition too.

The one thing that sticks out is this, that for way too long, the team has prioritized potential over going for players that were already playing at top level, and at times making decisions that really stagger the mind like chasing Sanchez to replace Suarez, yet going for Balotelli, and then Benteke when all these players are absolutely nothing alike. In that one position alone, we have seen Suarez, Carroll, Borini, Balotelli, Benteke, Firmino, Ings, Origi, Sturridge, Lambert all signed, and Aspas is also a striker. What is the vision? And you now add Solanke. Last time, the fee for Ings was set at £6.5M plus £1.5M in add ons, and Solanke is coming to a team that already has Firmino, Ings, Origi and Sturridge, in an outfit that plays one striker up top.

Ilori, Sakho, Coates, Klavan, Lovren, Matip, Joe Gomez all brought in to play CB and the team is still looking for another CB. I honestly cannot say that there is a single exceptional CB at the club which is why you could see the lengths to which the club went trying to get Van Dijk (although being careless about it).

I honestly thought that the team needed another pacy wide forward who could get goals because with Mane out the team really struggled. A midfielder who could break the lines with his passing was also important because in the latter part of the season teams simply sat back and cancelled out the press. It was something that was going to add to the attack another dimension or two because Emre Can is the only player in that midfield outside Coutinho who has some ambitious passing.

So how did we get here? This team got here because it got some success with Suarez, and then struck gold with Coutinho and Sturridge and thought that that was something that could be easily replicated i.e. getting some young undervalued players that could become special. I don't think that anyone would be against that, but for so long, it was what seemed to be the focus when it came to recruitment.

The people that you seem to have a problem with, and the fact that they seem to believe what it is they are reading in the media are fans that are concerned with the where the team may be at, especially compared to what investments the other teams in the league are making.

There is concern that as time continues to pass, you will run into a familiar problem where teams that would ideally sell no longer wish to do so because they would not have enough time to go out there and get a replacement. As we speak, City have already landed a very good attacker and a goalkeeper that they think will sort out their issues in that position. Manchester United have moved to another option early enough in the window. Arsenal who were looking at signing Mbappe already have Lacazette signed as the world of football waits to hear what his decision will be, and they are chasing Lemar and/or Mahrez.

I will say this, last season was easy for Klopp because he only focused on the league. That cannot be the same this season because he cannot play kids in the Champions League. Looking back at last season, an injury to Coutinho, Mane, Matip were seen as huge setbacks, this window is an opportunity to go on and solve some if not all of those depth issues especially when one considers just how much the team struggled when midweek games kicked in.

The teams that finished ahead will get better, the exception maybe being Spurs who now have to build a stadium. Two teams that finished behind are also going to get better, and they for the most part played strong teams in the domestic cups, league and European competition. So it really comes as a surprise that anyone could see some wrong in fans showing concern with where we are at, our history or fumbling transfer windows, and the challenges that lie ahead.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #110: Jul 08, 2017 04:31:27 pm
      haha, my bad, getting mixed up again.

Although...
      IMO one of the best posters on here

He must agree with everything you say then 😊
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #111: Jul 08, 2017 04:35:33 pm
      I doubt that even you believe some of the things that you post.

Start off like that and I don't even bother reading the rest.

Try reading what I actually post.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #112: Jul 08, 2017 04:38:20 pm
      He must agree with everything you say then 😊

Nope, not at all.

Unlike you, he doesn't needlessly try to get other peoples back up, makes sensible and reasonable points and doesn't indulge in the usual forum histrionics.

All this just because you have a hardon for CorballyRed, the arch gobs***e, and I spoke out about his PM's where he was bragging about only being here to wind people up.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy a lot of your posts as well, but you need to get out of this habit of allowing everyone but me their opinion.
      Also believe it or not, the "consensus" by the conspiracy theorists on this forum is not indicative of the way LFC fans in general view the owners.

I don't have axe to grind for or against the owners; it's the blatant lies and bullshit that are annoying, endlessly regurgitated by those whose real reason for the bizarre hatred is the fact that they sacked KK.
      Well, KK is back at the club, has been for a while, as you doubtless know, so maybe it's time to move on from that.

It's amazing as well that when anything good happens, it's down to the manager, anything bad, it's down to the owners, which of course is bullshit of the highest order.

« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2017 04:43:54 pm by Swab »
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #113: Jul 08, 2017 04:47:00 pm
      Start off like that and I don't even bother reading the rest.

Try reading what I actually post.
      I did. If I hadn't, I wouldn't bother replying.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      Reply #114: Jul 08, 2017 04:55:45 pm
      Nope, not at all.

Unlike you, he doesn't needlessly try to get other peoples back up, makes sensible and reasonable points and doesn't indulge in the usual forum histrionics.

All this just because you have a hardon for CorballyRed, the arch gobs***e, and I spoke out about his PM's where he was bragging about only being here to wind people up.

Believe it or not, I actually enjoy a lot of your posts as well, but you need to get out of this habit of allowing everyone but me their opinion.
      Also believe it or not, the "consensus" by the conspiracy theorists on this forum is not indicative of the way LFC fans in general view the owners.

I don't have axe to grind for or against the owners; it's the blatant lies and bullshit that are annoying, endlessly regurgitated by those whose real reason for the bizarre hatred is the fact that they sacked KK.
      Well, KK is back at the club, has been for a while, as you doubtless know, so maybe it's time to move on from that.

It's amazing as well that when anything good happens, it's down to the manager, anything bad, it's down to the owners, which of course is bullshit of the highest order.

Read first paragraph.

F***ing hell. It was a joke.

Quick Reply