Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Our current owners and transfer committee

Read 30166 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: Our current owners and transfer committee
      Reply #184: Jul 12, 2017 06:38:32 pm
      https://twitter.com/80couches/status/885083870567288832

Another apology for another F**k up. Any of us getting tired of this yet?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,617 posts | 6930 
      Reply #185: Jul 12, 2017 06:40:32 pm
      this not the Klopp way of prepping for a challenge on all fronts,

He last season wanted new faces in for pre-season so why is it being left this late this season,

True that.  He made an explicit point about getting players in early to prepare them for the style of football we play.

AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #186: Jul 12, 2017 11:22:09 pm
      True that.  He made an explicit point about getting players in early to prepare them for the style of football we play.

To be fair he said this a week ago.

ā€œThe transfer window will be a difficult one, like it always is,ā€ the 50-year-old told the clubā€™s official website.

ā€œMaybe itā€™s getting more difficult, especially in England.

ā€œWeā€™ve made a lot of good things so far. Even if you cannot see it, you can imagine weā€™ve done a lot behind the scenes.

ā€œSometimes you need to be patient and thatā€™s what we are at the moment. We have to wait for the right moment and weā€™ll see what happens.

ā€œBut this squad will be stronger than it was last year and I think thatā€™s a real reason for optimism.ā€

http://www.talkaloadofbull.com/en-za/news/4682/transfer-zone/2017/07/05/36858392/liverpool-must-be-patient-as-they-work-on-major-transfers

And he said this in May

Nevertheless, the former Borussia Dortmund boss realises it might take longer than he initially hoped before Liverpool announce the first new signing.

"I wish new signings would begin to arrive tomorrow but unfortunately that is not really likely," Klopp told reporters.

"The best scenario is that you have them for the start of pre-season but I am not sure if it will happen this time

« Last Edit: Jul 12, 2017 11:26:16 pm by AZPatriot »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,196 posts | 4911 
      Reply #187: Jul 12, 2017 11:37:11 pm
      Pretty sure I read somewhere that the club's stance is that if we don't think a team will sell to us, then we won't even submit a bid.

If that's true, that's the biggest joke of a "stance" I've read in awhile. Successful clubs dictate transfer policy, especially to smaller clubs, we need to start acting like a bigger club. The tapping up thing was the first joke move...now here we are waiting around to submit bids because we aren't sure if the other club will deal with us. Like I've said before, pull your balls out and make the first move. Stop standing on the sideline waiting for the girl to give you the "come hither" eyes.

Agree 100%

Our stance should be 'We want your player. Here's X Million pounds, try and turn that down.'
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,291 posts | 6373 
      Reply #188: Jul 12, 2017 11:39:46 pm
      Agree 100%

Our stance should be 'We want your player. Here's X Million pounds, try and turn that down.'

"Boom!"
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #189: Jul 12, 2017 11:46:21 pm
      On the work Liverpool have done so far in the transfer marketā€¦

We cannot only buy players because other teams buy players ā€“ we do our business as well as we can do it and we are completely in it. We are convinced about the way we are going, so thatā€™s all. Iā€™m not nervous, maybe thatā€™s the right message.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/268232-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-on-reds-win-at-tranmere-and-summer-transfer-business
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,196 posts | 4911 
      Reply #190: Jul 12, 2017 11:50:10 pm
      On the work Liverpool have done so far in the transfer marketā€¦

We cannot only buy players because other teams buy players ā€“ we do our business as well as we can do it and we are completely in it. We are convinced about the way we are going, so thatā€™s all. Iā€™m not nervous, maybe thatā€™s the right message.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/268232-JĆ¼rgen-klopp-on-reds-win-at-tranmere-and-summer-transfer-business

Fair enough and I've said many times on here that JĆ¼rgen is stubborn and I feel likes to try and do things his way. He also is a lot closer to how FSG work than many are comfortable with but I don't agree with him here.

We need players because we need players not because everyone else are buying them.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #191: Jul 13, 2017 12:05:37 am
      Fair enough and I've said many times on here that JĆ¼rgen is stubborn and I feel likes to try and do things his way. He also is a lot closer to how FSG work than many are comfortable with but I don't agree with him here.

We need players because we need players not because everyone else are buying them.

I would see it as perhaps he is not so nervous because he knows what is happening whereas we are waiting on the next twitter feed.

I will officially worry once the window is no more....better for my sanity Si.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #192: Jul 13, 2017 12:26:32 am
      I would see it as perhaps he is not so nervous because he knows what is happening whereas we are waiting on the next twitter feed.

I will officially worry once the window is no more....better for my sanity Si.

I would see it as another manager saying the same as what we have heard before. What bothers me the most, as it did in the January window, is we are not even rumoured to be signing several players, its one name and that's it, and like others have mentioned, its fecking embarrassing how everton are spending more than us, indeed attracting more than us at this time. Everton are in the uefa cup, and yet signing players left right and center, we are in the champions league and pretty much doing feck all. Now I don't believe for one second this is due to the clubs reputation, which means it must be down to the board and our so called scouting staff. If this is it for our transfer window, then all supporters have the right to demand FSG feck off, and we get someone else in who is willing to spend. Im not asking for ludicrous amounts, but something is better than nothing.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #193: Jul 13, 2017 12:28:53 am
      Said it on the other thread - we've got enough issues to deal with in getting the first team right let alone plundering the market further to strengthen the squad from the bench. Mignolet for starters is just a poor keeper full stop. Lovren hasn't proved himself to be anything but a top half/Europa League type defender. Clyne had a very poor season. Milner, did his best, but his limits as you well noted Luke were gradually exposed over the course of the season. Can had a good last month of the season but was that enough to make up for a truly awful 8 months previous? Sturridge is completely unreliable and it is jarring to note just how tough it is to get him playing just 50% of matches a season. Divock has talent but his mentality and posture at times looks so utterly pitiful that it just makes you wonder how fragile his mentality is. Beyond Matip, Coutinho, Mane, Firmino, Lallana and Henderson (as well as Gini possibly - consistency is the key there for him) our squad looks so poor.  Those are 6/7 players who represent a really solid core that has speed, technicality, intelligence and work rate. Beyond them the squad looks utterly trite. I don't like the majority of this team and quite frankly there are some players in this squad who were freeloading off the back of the good work done by Mane, Coutinho etc from last season. We so nearly ended last season in a completely disastrous situation. The idea of not getting CL football while we didn't have to contend with continental football or much of the FA Cup would have been horrifying. 

I share those concerns. Even if you were to look a bit more charitably on some of the players you mentioned and factored in the possibility that one or two might improve, it is still the case that we only very narrowly made the top four last season, went out of the cups in unacceptable fashion and all the while facing lesser demands than those around us in our fixture list. We were woefully exposed when key players got injured.

I often worry in preseason there is a tendency to be lulled in to forgetting the important lessons of the past season; to allow the passage of time and the togetherness of this period of preparation to encourage us to think that with our young squad, a positive spirit and a fresh start, our weaknesses will somehow work themselves out, when history shows that major improvement first and foremost requires proper recruitment.

I've no doubt we will improve to one degree or another, but we shouldn't just be improving a little bit to contribute a long and drawn out process that'll take years to yield trophies...we should be aiming to compete to the maximum possible extent with the teams around us from the get go.

To my mind our actions in the transfer window have thus far fallen some way short of matching those ambitions, and until that is rectified, those concerns will continue to linger.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 12:32:57 am by -LFC- »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #194: Jul 13, 2017 12:42:29 am
      I would see it as another manager saying the same as what we have heard before. What bothers me the most, as it did in the January window, is we are not even rumoured to be signing several players, its one name and that's it, and like others have mentioned, its fecking embarrassing how everton are spending more than us, indeed attracting more than us at this time. Everton are in the uefa cup, and yet signing players left right and center, we are in the champions league and pretty much doing feck all. Now I don't believe for one second this is due to the clubs reputation, which means it must be down to the board and our so called scouting staff. If this is it for our transfer window, then all supporters have the right to demand FSG feck off, and we get someone else in who is willing to spend. Im not asking for ludicrous amounts, but something is better than nothing.

Do you not think that any of the players the bitters signed we could not of gotten done just as quick....do you forget how we brought in so many exotic names back in 2014 and how basically all of them were flops?

If all you want to do is have signings the likes of Donkor, Josh Bowler, Boris Mathis, Henry Onyekuru and the like then so be it there is no help for you. Ā£28 million for Jordon Pickford? taken the piss there.

They are doing exactly the same thing with the Luckaku money as we did with the Suarez money...personally I've had enough of that type of business.

On a side note it would not suprise me a bit if Everton have a zero net-sped.

Earnings/expenditures   Arrivals/Departures   Transfer fee
      Income   8   106,00 Mill. ā‚¬
      Expenditures   13   98,00 Mill. ā‚¬
      Total results   +8,00 Mill.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 12:48:18 am by AZPatriot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,291 posts | 6373 
      Reply #195: Jul 13, 2017 12:47:11 am
      Do you not think that any of the players the bitters signed we could not of gotten done just as quick....do you forget how we brought in so many exotic names back in 2014 and how basically all of them were flops?

If all you want to do is have signings the likes of Donkor, Josh Bowler, Boris Mathis, Henry Onyekuru and the like then so be it there is no help for you.

They are doing exactly the same thing with the Luckaku money as we did with the Suarez money...personally I've had enough of that type of business.

No, they are spending their money on targets that are in their range. Nothing like what we did, which was to target players that any other team could have gotten even though we SHOULD have been targeting better players.

Everton aren't going after players out of their range, they are simply putting bids on the table and getting their business done. I don't think anyone is advocating we should be shopping at the same stores...just that their willingness to go shopping and pay sticker price is admirable compared to us still trying to get cut rate deals on high demand items.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #196: Jul 13, 2017 12:51:06 am
      No, they are spending their money on targets that are in their range. Nothing like what we did, which was to target players that any other team could have gotten even though we SHOULD have been targeting better players.

Everton aren't going after players out of their range, they are simply putting bids on the table and getting their business done. I don't think anyone is advocating we should be shopping at the same stores...just that their willingness to go shopping and pay sticker price is admirable compared to us still trying to get cut rate deals on high demand items.

Well I suppose your right FL...as normal; though I doubt trying to deal with a club like RB Lipzeg and they're centerpiece player is the same as KAS Eupen (whoever the f**k they are).

Pogba got done last year on August 8th.

United had been chasing target #1 for 2 years (Griezmann) could not get target #2 (Morata) done and now go and get they're 3rd choice (Luckaku).

We live in a nice little bubble but Arsenal have gotten Lacazette but will probably lose Sanchez; Chelsea have signed a CB coming off of ACL surgery....City have done nothing but the 2 deals early on and Spurs have done nothing.

Like I said...I personally will sweat it after the window closes...better for the mental health and all.

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 01:01:04 am by AZPatriot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,291 posts | 6373 
      Reply #197: Jul 13, 2017 01:01:22 am
      Well I suppose your right FL...as normal; though I doubt trying to deal with a club like RB Lipzeg and they're centerpiece player is the same as KAS Eupen (whoever the f**k they are).

I will sweat it after the window closes.

After the window closes is too late to sweat it my friend.

I don't doubt that dealing with RB is different, but a huge bid is relative. Just because the players aren't on the same level of quality, doesn't mean they aren't equally important to their current club.

Phil isn't the player that Messi is and wouldn't command near the fee, but he's just as important to us as Messi is to Barca and both clubs would be equally tough to deal with should someone come in for those players wouldn't you say?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #198: Jul 13, 2017 01:03:03 am
      After the window closes is too late to sweat it my friend.

That may be you...but that's not me...because no matter how much you worry about it..I doubt the JĆ¼rgen is concerned about your sweat levels. :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,291 posts | 6373 
      Reply #199: Jul 13, 2017 01:24:27 am
      That may be you...but that's not me...because no matter how much you worry about it..I doubt the JĆ¼rgen is concerned about your sweat levels. :)

Not really the point though is it? Once again, if we are all to just bow to JĆ¼rgen on everything then why have a forum to discuss the club? Silly.

JĆ¼rgen isn't God and as of yet he's won nothing at this club so his decisions and stance on things are still up for discussion I would assume? If you want to just parrot his line of thinking that's your right, but I tend to have my own opinions whether they are qualified (I'm not a football manager) or not.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #200: Jul 13, 2017 02:15:03 am
      Not really the point though is it? Once again, if we are all to just bow to JĆ¼rgen on everything then why have a forum to discuss the club? Silly.

JĆ¼rgen isn't God and as of yet he's won nothing at this club so his decisions and stance on things are still up for discussion I would assume? If you want to just parrot his line of thinking that's your right, but I tend to have my own opinions whether they are qualified (I'm not a football manager) or not.

This is my way of thinking also. I am 100% behind Klopp, however like you say, when it comes to the premier league, he is unproven, yes he got us 4th place, but look at how we did in the cups, and look at our performances. For me, we love seeing the local lads progress, but we also understand we need to spend money. This is the problem we currently have, I am not asking us to compete with Chelsea or Man City for that Ā£70 million player, I want us to spend money on improving the squad, look at who we have signed so far and look at the time left to sign more, can anyone on this forum honestly say they look to the new season with confidence? I bloody don't, and I have good reason, I have seen it too many times before.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #201: Jul 13, 2017 03:43:54 am

Not parroting anything just not going to get all worked up over something I have zero inside information on, have no control over and can have no effect on.

You need to vent OK no problem vent away...I try hard not to get worked up over things I can't influence or control.

Doesn't mean I don't care but realistically not a damn thing I'm going to do about it now is there?

I could probably like get on twitter and rage at Linda or the new CEO...I could write an email to the club calling them names or threaten to cancel my NBCSports package...but again it's not going to move them.

I will probably moan on here like everyone else but I'm just going to wait until the end of the window and will reserve judgement until then.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 03:53:47 am by AZPatriot »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #202: Jul 13, 2017 07:24:37 am

Bang on.

Word for word.
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #203: Jul 13, 2017 10:05:55 am
      Not parroting anything just not going to get all worked up over something I have zero inside information on, have no control over and can have no effect on.

You need to vent OK no problem vent away...I try hard not to get worked up over things I can't influence or control.

Doesn't mean I don't care but realistically not a damn thing I'm going to do about it now is there?

I could probably like get on twitter and rage at Linda or the new CEO...I could write an email to the club calling them names or threaten to cancel my NBCSports package...but again it's not going to move them.

I will probably moan on here like everyone else but I'm just going to wait until the end of the window and will reserve judgement until then.

Think people are just sick of the same old sh*te we get fed every transfer window mate.

You are wrong in the sense that it is not worth gettting worked up about. It is. Off course it is.

It was worth getting worked up over fact they tried to fleece the fans over ticket prices and they back tracked. FSG need to realise that people arnt stupid and won't accept the club being run in the manner that it is for much longer.

4 weeks away from the start of the season and we have signed one first team player. A winger. People go on about this Keita fella. He would be nice but SIGN SOME F***ing DEFENDERS. That has GOT to be the priority. If we don't, we will be embarrassed in the Champions League and found out...again in the league.

ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #204: Jul 13, 2017 02:07:53 pm
      This is my way of thinking also. I am 100% behind Klopp, however like you say, when it comes to the premier league, he is unproven, yes he got us 4th place, but look at how we did in the cups, and look at our performances. For me, we love seeing the local lads progress, but we also understand we need to spend money. This is the problem we currently have, I am not asking us to compete with Chelsea or Man City for that Ā£70 million player, I want us to spend money on improving the squad, look at who we have signed so far and look at the time left to sign more, can anyone on this forum honestly say they look to the new season with confidence? I bloody don't, and I have good reason, I have seen it too many times before.

Could not disagree more (respectfully of course).

"yes he got us 4th place, but look at how we did in the cups" - with arguably the weakest squad of the top 6, I think it's one hell of an achievement to get into CL. We have an excellent first 11, but almost no bench to speak of.

"and look at our performances." - we played the best attacking football in the league. We lost too many, but when we were winning, boy did we show how it could be done with class, panache and ruthless attacking. Our attacking forwards of Couts, Firminho, Mane and Lallana were at times simply world class as a unit, if not individually

"I am not asking us to compete with Chelsea or Man City for that Ā£70 million player" - why not? If that special player is available and willing to come for that price, we should do it. We are in the cusp of evolving into one of the regular big hitters now, don't miss the chance. We have a top class manager with the ability to pull in top payers and CL to offer. Now is time for growth, not later. Invest I'd say.

Agree completely on strengthening the squad, because at times our bench this season was a joke.

In general, really think this is a brilliant opportunity to make our mark. Not a scatter gun approach, but still heavy investment. Klopp will manage the change better than any others we've had since Rafa.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #205: Jul 13, 2017 02:25:55 pm
      SIGN SOME F***ing DEFENDERS. That has GOT to be the priority. If we don't, we will be embarrassed in the Champions League and found out...again in the league.
      We needed defenders last summer, we needed them during the winter window.

We have one defender who is good enough for the CL the rest are full of mistakes

Milner did a very good job last year better than I expected but I would rather have a recognised LB with Milner as cover   
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #206: Jul 13, 2017 02:57:55 pm
      We needed defenders last summer, we needed them during the winter window.

We have one defender who is good enough for the CL the rest are full of mistakes

Milner did a very good job last year better than I expected but I would rather have a recognised LB with Milner as cover   

Milner was purely a stop-gap signing in 2015, we got him on a free so in that respect saved the club a good few million.
      The failure to sign a credible LB to plug the gap adequately is costing progressively more financially and in a footballing context the longer the situation prevails. FSG are consistent if nothing else.

Quick Reply