Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Our current owners and transfer committee

Read 30086 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Our current owners and transfer committee
      Reply #207: Jul 13, 2017 03:15:04 pm
      Milner was purely a stop-gap signing in 2015, we got him on a free so in that respect saved the club a good few million.
      The failure to sign a credible LB to plug the gap adequately is costing progressively more financially and in a footballing context the longer the situation prevails. FSG are consistent if nothing else.

Stuey...with all respect mate...Klopp has basically said he want's Milner there...not so much that he is the best linebacker more so he want's him out on the pitch and that is where he can fit him in.

The gaffer is about total football..and if it ends up having to play a player in a secondary or tertiary position he will do it. He obviously feels milly's intelligence on the pitch is more important than on the bench.

He is really not a hole-filler/stop-gap...I think the manager just looks at him as one of his 11 best players and LB is where he can fit him in the squad.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #208: Jul 13, 2017 03:31:35 pm
      Stuey...with all respect mate...Klopp has basically said he want's Milner there...not so much that he is the best linebacker more so he want's him out on the pitch and that is where he can fit him in.

The gaffer is about total football..and if it ends up having to play a player in a secondary or tertiary position he will do it. He obviously feels milly's intelligence on the pitch is more important than on the bench.

He is really not a hole-filler/stop-gap...I think the manager just looks at him as one of his 11 best players and LB is where he can fit him in the squad.

Milner doesn't even want to play there, and as for intelligence...you can have the smartest (football) guy there is but playing him out of position doesn't make sense if you can find someone that's better at that position. It surely was a stop gap because Klopp obviously had a hard-on for Chillwell and we've had other LB targets mentioned as well. Again...that's great that Jürgen thinks Milner can do a job there, but unless my eyes deceive, Milner isn't anywhere close to one of the best LB's in the league?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #209: Jul 13, 2017 03:47:06 pm
      Milner doesn't even want to play there, and as for intelligence...you can have the smartest (football) guy there is but playing him out of position doesn't make sense if you can find someone that's better at that position. It surely was a stop gap because Klopp obviously had a hard-on for Chillwell and we've had other LB targets mentioned as well. Again...that's great that Jürgen thinks Milner can do a job there, but unless my eyes deceive, Milner isn't anywhere close to one of the best LB's in the league?

Well I suggest two things

1. Does not matter where Milner want's to play...I would imagine personally that he would rather play LB then sit on the bench as the #4-5 midfielder.

2. Read https://www.amazon.com/My-Turn-Life-Total-Football-ebook/dp/B01IAIZAAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499957110&sr=1-1&keywords=total+football

The gaffer is a big fan of that book and the man...so playing people out of position is not a big deal...as for Chillwell and Sessengon...both of them would have been understudy's and though I am sure we will get a LB this window that fella will also be a back up to Milner.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #210: Jul 13, 2017 03:57:20 pm
      Well I suggest two things

1. Does not matter where Milner want's to play...I would imagine personally that he would rather play LB then sit on the bench as the #4-5 midfielder.

2. Read https://www.amazon.com/My-Turn-Life-Total-Football-ebook/dp/B01IAIZAAI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499957110&sr=1-1&keywords=total+football

The gaffer is a big fan of that book and the man...so playing people out of position is not a big deal...as for Chillwell and Sessengon...both of them would have been understudy's and though I am sure we will get a LB this window that fella will also be a back up to Milner.

My point still stands....Milner isn't that great of a LB, so book or no book, total football or not....why don't we upgrade an area of opportunity?  We supposedly have money to spend so.......

Would you be okay if we started putting Shamal George at Striker? 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #211: Jul 13, 2017 04:05:46 pm
      My point still stands....Milner isn't that great of a LB, so book or no book, total football or not....why don't we upgrade an area of opportunity?  We supposedly have money to spend so.......

Agree 100%

It was just about alright going into last season with Milner as LB but for me that would be on the understanding ot was temporary and we would be scouting for a first choice player there for this season.

No problems with Milly playing there and filling in but we're in the Champions League now and looking to improve on last season league finish and going into the mew season with him as our LB is a mistake.
      « Last Edit: Jul 13, 2017 04:14:36 pm by srslfc »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #212: Jul 13, 2017 04:13:05 pm

My point as well; we got Milner on a free. From a club who considered his better days were behind him.
      LFC would no doubt be of the same mind if football took precedence over bargain hunting and short-term solutions.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #213: Jul 13, 2017 05:01:33 pm

Just a difference of opinion...I think Klopp wants and wanted to have one of his most experienced and smartest players on the pitch wherever he could get him in and LB to him made sense. I think of all positions on the pitch...if you asked Jürgen the LB/RB are on the bottom of the totem as far as everyday priorities.

I would not be surprised if he had the personal that he wouldn't perfer 3 centerbacks and 2 wingbacks versus the conventional LB/RB.

Potato or Potatoh thing there FL...either way in my mind if he really wanted a boss LB and that was his priority we probably would have heard about it the past couple of windows...but all we have heard is a 19 year old (last season) and a 17 year old this season...not exactly Champions league material.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #214: Jul 13, 2017 06:41:48 pm

We put Pepe Reina in CM before and he actually done pretty decent. Admittedly it was during pre-season but hey, I'm counting it.

But yeah, we can't go into the new season without a recognised LB with a bit of quality about him, asking for trouble with European football too.

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #215: Jul 13, 2017 08:19:40 pm
      For F**k sake sign someone arrrrrrrrrrrragh 🙇
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #216: Jul 13, 2017 08:27:59 pm
      For f**k sake sign someone arrrrrrrrrrrragh 🙇

Just bid 65m euros for Keita supposedly.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #217: Jul 13, 2017 08:48:36 pm
      Just bid 65m euros for Keita supposedly.

Saw that on Twitter. No source of course, but why bid 65 million Euro when they are looking 70 million pounds? Is this the "we tried as hard as we could" routine? or are we just testing the water?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #218: Jul 13, 2017 08:51:05 pm
      Saw that on Twitter. No source of course, but why bid 65 million Euro when they are looking 70 million pounds? Is this the "we tried as hard as we could" routine? or are we just testing the water?

I think the £ and € get's changed constantly depending on the source....suffice to say they want a large amount of money and quite frankly the £ and € aren't so far apart like they used to be.

Prefer it myself if they wanted ¥80,000,000
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #219: Jul 13, 2017 08:52:28 pm

Dunno man. My heart wants to believe something or someone has encouraged us to start the bidding. My head says it's just an "oh well we tried" sort of thing.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #220: Jul 13, 2017 08:57:06 pm
      I think the £ and € get's changed constantly depending on the source....suffice to say they want a large amount of money and quite frankly the £ and € aren't so far apart like they used to be.

We have a history of lowballing, I'm worried that is just a token bid.

Dunno man. My heart wants to believe something or someone has encouraged us to start the bidding. My head says it's just an "oh well we tried" sort of thing.

Are we prepared to pay more than our super computer has valued him at if that's what it takes? I'm not so sure 😕
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #221: Jul 14, 2017 11:06:19 pm

I would suggest that Milner would rather play left back than not play at all.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #222: Jul 15, 2017 02:35:49 pm
      Not looking promising so far is it?

One month to go until the opener and imo we still need (in order of priority) a LB, a striker and a CB. And that's just for the first XI.

In an ideal world I'd also like to see another CM coming in ahead of Can/Hendo because Hendo doesn't play enough and Can is too inconsistent. GK is still an issue for me. 

So I think we need in a perfect world 5 more players to go straight in the first XI and 3 of them we desperately need sorting or we aren't going to be ready.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #223: Jul 15, 2017 10:48:04 pm
      If we're talking about priority players, a CB and a left back are the No1 targets. Robertson  (who is apparently a done deal) is a left back by trade, but would be another player with  "potential"!  I'm not sure about him, he played in a pish poor Hull defence, but was he made look worse as a group than he is individually? Is he an FSG bargin basement buy, or a Klopp bargin buy?

Obviously Van Dijk is the natural choice for CB. He can actually win a header, which is a plus, but he seems to be good with his feet which would suit Jürgen's/Liverpool's style. He can also take free kicks! I want him here!

I'm a Sturridge fan, I make no secret about that. When fit there's no better striker out there, but we have a cracking attacking midfield than can cope when he's not playing, our goal scoring record speaks for that. I'd like a striker, but if we have limited funds, it's not a priority.

Can can be that holding midfielder that we badly need, he is starting to look the part. Needs more consistency though.

Keita would make us a devastating attacking team, not just this season, but for years to come as well. He a no brainer for me if we are thinking long term.
      Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #224: Jul 16, 2017 12:36:36 am
      Here is what should happen to each member of FSG if this transfer window shuts without any worthwhile signings.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6356 
      Reply #225: Jul 16, 2017 12:57:27 am
      Not looking promising so far is it?

One month to go until the opener and imo we still need (in order of priority) a LB, a striker and a CB. And that's just for the first XI.

In an ideal world I'd also like to see another CM coming in ahead of Can/Hendo because Hendo doesn't play enough and Can is too inconsistent. GK is still an issue for me. 

So I think we need in a perfect world 5 more players to go straight in the first XI and 3 of them we desperately need sorting or we aren't going to be ready.

You can forget about us buying a striker. We have 3 fully fit ones right now. They can't all play every game.
      RedWilly

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #226: Jul 16, 2017 07:54:17 am
      You can forget about us buying a striker. We have 3 fully fit ones right now. They can't all play every game.

True but two of those are Sturridge and Ings who have played only a handful of games between them over the last few seasons.

So effectively we would be relying on Origi which doesn't fill me with confidence. He's decent but he's not going to score us the goals we need to challenge effectively IMO.

Or we end up using Firmino up top as we did a lot last season and again that isn't something that fills me with confidence, think he's much better asa creator than a finisher.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #227: Jul 16, 2017 08:58:39 am
      We should have 4 forwards going into a season with CL football.

Which we have with Solanke
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 09:07:24 am by Eddieo »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,194 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #228: Jul 16, 2017 07:30:00 pm
      We should have 4 forwards going into a season with CL football.

Which we have with Solanke

More like 2 crocks, a kid and an out of form striker, hardly fills you with confidence dose it
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #229: Jul 16, 2017 07:46:45 pm

More like 2 crocks, a kid and an out of form striker, hardly fills you with confidence dose it

Personally I'm more hopeful about the forwards than I am the defenders

Quick Reply