Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Our current owners and transfer committee

Read 29775 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Our current owners and transfer committee
      Reply #230: Jul 16, 2017 07:47:01 pm
      A month before kick off.

Pre season has started.

I thought we had our targets sorted out some time ago.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #231: Jul 16, 2017 10:54:30 pm
      My point still stands....Milner isn't that great of a LB, so book or no book, total football or not....why don't we upgrade an area of opportunity?  We supposedly have money to spend so.......

Would you be okay if we started putting Shamal George at Striker? 

He nearly scored in the pre season game at Huddersfield last season when he came on as a substitute striker as we'd run out of players. Seem to recall he won a pen and the crowd were shouting goalie goalie as they wanted him to take the shot.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2017 11:21:41 pm by shawspeed »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #232: Jul 16, 2017 10:57:08 pm
      A month before kick off.

Pre season has started.

I thought we had our targets sorted out some time ago.

We should of had our transfer targets all sorted and signed by now Skip.It is difficult to work out who takes the responsibility for the failure to get the signings sorted.As I have mentioned previously we need a Peter Robinson type to sign the cheques.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #233: Jul 17, 2017 12:54:33 am
      We should of had our transfer targets all sorted and signed by now Skip.

Do you think so?

Ozil 31st August
      Pogba  08 August
      Bale  31 August
      J. Rodriguez July, 29
      Di Maria  29 August
      Martial 31 August

You look at a list of big transfers and you will find a good preponderance of them happen late why? because it's more money, more complicated and the chances are the team that is selling is an unwilling partner.

I suppose if we want to go back to shopping at Tesco then all our business could be done all ready and we would really be happy....fact is we have next to Mbappe we are in for one of the best young mid-fielders in Europe (Keita) and probably the best available CB out there in VVD....There are different issues with both of them but both selling clubs are unwilling partners for different reasons; you cannot expect deals like this to be snap of the finger done.

Kharhaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 685 posts | 200 
      Reply #234: Jul 17, 2017 01:56:00 am
      There are different issues with both of them but both selling clubs are unwilling partners for different reasons; you cannot expect deals like this to be snap of the finger done.

With our committee, I don't expect any deals to be done at all.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #235: Jul 17, 2017 02:03:18 am
      We should of had our transfer targets all sorted and signed by now Skip.It is difficult to work out who takes the responsibility for the failure to get the signings sorted.As I have mentioned previously we need a Peter Robinson type to sign the cheques.

Indeed. JĂźrgen himself said he wanted to get signings done before pre-season.

Of course, he's had to change his tune recently, but that was his original position - understandably.

Why the Keita bid and ball running didn't start earlier only our illustrious leaders will know.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #236: Jul 17, 2017 03:24:32 am
      JĂźrgen Klopp won't budge on number one Liverpool targets during 'complicated' transfer window

Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp says he is reluctant to compromise on his number one targets as he navigates his way through a ‘complicated’ transfer window.

Klopp’s first choices are well established – especially Red Bull Leipzig midfielder Naby Keita – and although the German coach has not spoken directly about the player, Liverpool have had numerous approaches rejected so far.

Klopp says he has the ‘100 per cent backing’ of his owners but expecting all his deals to be complete before his side returned to training two weeks ago was ‘dreamland’.

“We pretty much have all you need. But at the end it is still business,” said Klopp.

“You go out and see the car that you have been dreaming about your whole life. “You say ‘here is the money’ but they say to you ‘I don’t want to sell the car’. You say ‘but I have got the money’ but they say ‘I don’t want to sell’.

“They say ‘go for another car in another colour’ but you say ‘that’s ok but I want this’. Things like this happen in life, not only football. It is pretty simple. You can imagine how it works. It is not that we are doing something that other clubs are not doing - that we are more silly or they are more smart.

“If I could decide alone, we would be complete from the last day of last season - done, shoot, there’s the new team, thank you very much - but that is dreamland.

“I can imagine if you are not involved it is annoying for fans. They think ‘oh my God! Nothing happens here! Everything happens there!’ We cannot think like this. I would have liked to have everyone here for the first day of training at the latest. But that is not possible anymore and probably won’t be possible again in the world, especially in England. So why should I moan about it?”

The figures in this transfer window are astronomical, something Klopp says sets the Premier League apart.

“It is always complicated,” he said.

“I read in Germany that there are still transfers in the Bundesliga for £5million. You can imagine that happening in England? No chance. Yet it is similar quality.

“You are in a circle and that is how it works here. It’s not that we don’t want to spend. It is all about doing the right things.”

Asked if he had the financial support from Liverpool’s owners, Klopp replied: “One hundred per cent. Ok, I didn’t ask if I could buy Ronaldo or the other guys from Barcelona but I am absolutely fine with this. If they could make it quicker, you can imagine they would be here and trying. It’s not about money or something like this.

“It is not about a number (of players). It is about how it fits together. We will see.

“I felt we all ready had a pretty good side last year, especially when everyone is fit and that gives me a good feeling.”

Klopp has given no indication so far he is losing patience in the pursuit of Keita – Liverpool are constantly in contact with the Bundesliga club - but there may come a point where the Liverpool manager has to rethink if there is no prospect of a breakthrough in negotiations.

“It’s all possible. It’s more likely doing that than doing nothing,” said Klopp.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/16/JĂźrgen-klopp-wont-budgeon-number-one-targets-complicated-transfer/

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #237: Jul 17, 2017 08:34:22 am
      Do you think so?

Ozil 31st August
      Pogba  08 August
      Bale  31 August
      J. Rodriguez July, 29
      Di Maria  29 August
      Martial 31 August

You look at a list of big transfers and you will find a good preponderance of them happen late why? because it's more money, more complicated and the chances are the team that is selling is an unwilling partner.

I suppose if we want to go back to shopping at Tesco then all our business could be done all ready and we would really be happy....fact is we have next to Mbappe we are in for one of the best young mid-fielders in Europe (Keita) and probably the best available CB out there in VVD....There are different issues with both of them but both selling clubs are unwilling partners for different reasons; you cannot expect deals like this to be snap of the finger done.

I still stick by my statement that we need a Peter Robinson type of finance man to push any transfers through.We had our most successful period in the history of L.F.C. when he was in charge of the finances.Bill ,Bob,Joe and Kenny would not of achieved the successes they did without Peter Robinson backing them in the transfer market.I think most people who were around in the 1960s/70s  and 80s would agree with me.
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #238: Jul 17, 2017 06:14:43 pm
      Do you think so?

Ozil 31st August
      Pogba  08 August
      Bale  31 August
      J. Rodriguez July, 29
      Di Maria  29 August
      Martial 31 August

This is essentially cherry picking to suit a line of debate.

Tottenham were already spending money that they were going to get off a Gareth Bale sale. Florentino Perez was essentially going to get his man, and the purchase of Bale was going to be offset by the sale of Ozil to Arsenal.
      I read some time back (cannot simply remember where) that the main reason teams will get into a discussion and let the player to settle terms before a transfer is ever done is so that personal terms are sorted, and once the teams come to an agreement, all that remains is sorting out the paperwork. That is the main reason why transfers are completed in minimal time once teams sort out the fee and the payment structure. There was no doubt that summer that Real Madrid would get Bale, and there was no doubt that Arsenal were going to get Ozil when it was all said and done.

In the case of James Rodriguez, that was a world cup year where some deals were concluded early like Luis Suarez to Barcelona, Cesc Fabregas to Chelsea, David Luiz to PSG, Luke Shaw to United. And that was followed by the likes of Diego Costa and Luis Suarez moving teams.

Most teams will want to move early, and get most of their business done early too, but sometimes, that is linked to what some other clubs are doing.

This talk that teams spend money on big players late is neither here nor there. Sometimes a team gets lucky and concludes a deal early, and if those deals are done by some of the biggest teams, you then see movement among some of their players that may be for sale happening early too.

Now, take your time, and look at some of the biggest transfers of the last dozen years, how many have come in the last month of the summer transfer window? Also try and exclude some of the teams that go the distance in the world cup/Euros because those usually done when the world cup/Euros are done or when these teams are eliminated.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #239: Jul 17, 2017 09:16:33 pm
      OK

I don't profess to know the established workings of a transfer deal .

What I do know is the established working of any deal and that is if we (Klopp) keep to the two targets with no plan B lined up then the other side will play on that .

They will call our bluff and at the end of the day if we dont have any back ups they will f**k us over. Simple as.

We need professional deal makers ... poker mentality people who can screw down a deal.  Take it or leave it.

I don.t  ...for Klopp's sake ... want for this to end badly .

If he is hanging on for Southampton and Leipzig he could be naively hanging on a long time.

If his interest is public ...but his real targets are private and yet to be revealed ...  then we are playing very smart.

Its all a bit nail biting  comrades.

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 11:14:26 pm by MIRO »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #240: Jul 17, 2017 10:21:03 pm
      OK

I dont profess to know the established workings of a transfer deal .

What I do know is the established working of any deal and that is if we (Klopp) keep to the two targets with no plan B lined up then the other side will play on that .

They will call our bluff and at the end of the day if we dont have any back ups they will f**k us over. Simple as.

We need professional deal makers ... poker mentality people who can screw down a deal. Take it or leave it.

I dont for Klopps sake want for this to end badly .

If he is hanging on for Southampton and Leipzig he could be naively hanging on a long time.

If his interest is public ...but his real targets are private and yet to be revealed ...  then we are playing very smart.

Agree Skip although I've never bitten any of my comrades nails 😁

YNWA
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #241: Jul 17, 2017 10:30:53 pm
      OK

I dont profess to know the established workings of a transfer deal .

We need professional deal makers ... poker mentality people who can screw down a deal. Take it or leave it.

I dont for Klopps sake want for this to end badly .

I think the manager is trying to be a bit pragmatic in that Keita in the mid-field is a case of getting what he thinks is a player that you get on the pitch because you can...not necessarily because our mid-field is dire and needs help; everything I have read/heard says there is not really a Keita mk.2 out there so if we don't get him then the gaffer does not bother finding a direct replacement but looks to add in other areas like another Salah type.

VVD on the other hand is a playing at a position that we absolutely need help in and if we can't get him then I would imagine that someone else will be brought in as either a short term fix and try again for VVD next season or as a direct replacement.

I think Robertson ticks the boxes and if we do get Ox then I think that was happening with or without Keita as he is a player whose versatility fits with the gaffers tactics.

In short he is after Keita because he is Keita not because he plays in the mid-field...he is going after VVD because he is the best CB available but also because it is an area of need and one way or another that need will be met with or without him.

One thing I am pretty sure of is that he is not going to spend on any players that are not better than the ones we have now...the days of Markovic, Luis Alberto and Ballotelli are gone.
      « Last Edit: Jul 17, 2017 10:35:53 pm by AZPatriot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #242: Jul 18, 2017 03:23:42 am
      Why do we persist with Keita when he's apparently unattainable, yet we didn't work this hard to go after Pulisic, who it's also said Klopp really wanted?

It all seems a bit odd to me.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #243: Jul 18, 2017 03:35:24 am
      Why do we persist with Keita when he's apparently unattainable, yet we didn't work this hard to go after Pulisic, who it's also said Klopp really wanted?

Only the manager can answer that, but I suspect we will never know.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #244: Jul 18, 2017 12:16:44 pm
      Only the manager can answer that, but I suspect we will never know.

It would once again suggest that an effort was made to address the team's inherent weaknesses.
      The process has been used for 7+ years with diminishing degrees of credibility and will be utilised again for sure.
      It is to be seen if the scale of deception is toned down to accommodate a more respected manager who is nobodies scapegoat.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #245: Jul 18, 2017 12:26:25 pm

You are in danger of becoming obsessed by this
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #246: Jul 24, 2017 01:05:20 pm
      Not looking good on the transfer front is it .
      .......again
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #247: Jul 24, 2017 01:40:59 pm
      Is the transfer committee trying to be too cute in negotiations or trying very hard to impress the owners by over negotiate??? When say the asking price is 50mil and say we tried to be too smart and nego in a foolish manner and got the other party frustrated and up the figure after each nego session and  we ended up paying 20 or more mil. Last minute buy, ends up paying 80 mil hahaha or panic buy ala balo.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #248: Aug 08, 2017 05:20:40 pm
      Well it looks like Coutinho looking like he's off another profitable transfer window for our owners and a backward step for the club and fans even if we get VVD they will show another massive profit
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #249: Aug 08, 2017 05:21:48 pm
      Well it looks like Coutinho looking like he's off another profitable transfer window for our owners and a backward step for the club and fans even if we get VVD they will show another massive profit

How is he looking like he's off?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #250: Aug 08, 2017 05:28:24 pm

The only way come to such a conclusion is swallowing the horseshit the Spanish media are pumping out, the manc press are having it all day as well as some cranks on this forum.
      No news off club sources or for that matter any credible sources.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #251: Aug 08, 2017 05:55:48 pm
      Is the transfer committee trying to be too cute in negotiations or trying very hard to impress the owners by over negotiate??? When say the asking price is 50mil and say we tried to be too smart and nego in a foolish manner and got the other party frustrated and up the figure after each nego session and  we ended up paying 20 or more mil. Last minute buy, ends up paying 80 mil hahaha or panic buy ala balo.

Quite unlikely the TC would be out to impress the owners, owners who appointed the majority of the TC in the first place.
      From experience FSG seem quite content with an unimpressive TC.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #252: Aug 08, 2017 06:09:02 pm

How do they make a profit when they don't take any money out of the club?

Quick Reply