Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 294837 times
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #1840: Aug 14, 2017 11:45:07 am
      Not in the squad for hoffenheim
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #1841: Aug 14, 2017 11:49:02 am
      The Coutinho situation looks like a piece of agitating by a greedy agent to me. 

I find it very hard to believe that Phil has lost any loyalty to the club just because Barca came calling.

The timing of the transfer request, the comments from family members, the drip-drip of supposed examples of a rift. . .  Fake news or manipulation?

All looks engineered so that LFC end up having to sell to preserve squad morale, to turn the fans against him and to leave time in the window for potential suitors to come in and bid against Barca, potentially raising the fee to a level where we couldn't turn it down.  He's as good as gone, I reckon.  We've been stitched up.

Its a cynical world out there, boys and girls.

All true, except we don't have to sell him.

He's on a long term contract. I think he'll knuckle down after the window shuts, but if not, that's his choice - stick him in the reserves until he changes his mind. And if he doesn't change it, sell him for shitloads next summer after we've had  a year to sort out a replacement. He is still coming into his prime, he's not going to be worth less next year. This is not like Suarez, where he was biting people and could have got banned. We are not going to lose that £90m by keeping Phil another season.

I really think keeping Coutinho is key to the credibility of the club, and will tell us how serious the owners are about silverware and long term success. It would be a massive statement of strength to reject Barca and let every player at the club, present and future, know that we are not at the mercy of them and their agents.

If he was coming to the end of his contract, or was 30 years old, maybe we'd have little choice. Instead we very much do have a choice, and we should not be caving in when we don't have to.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,303 posts | 240 
      Reply #1842: Aug 14, 2017 11:49:52 am
      He really let team down and all fans. I just wait some interview with him, how Klopp was abusing him and so on...

One day before PL start, he gave transfer request. Well done really. Hope we dont sell him and treat him like Sakho.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1843: Aug 14, 2017 12:16:53 pm
      The Coutinho situation looks like a piece of agitating by a greedy agent to me.

I find it very hard to believe that Phil has lost any loyalty to the club just because Barca came calling.

The timing of the transfer request, the comments from family members, the drip-drip of supposed examples of a rift. . .  Fake news or manipulation?

All looks engineered so that LFC end up having to sell to preserve squad morale, to turn the fans against him and to leave time in the window for potential suitors to come in and bid against Barca, potentially raising the fee to a level where we couldn't turn it down.  He's as good as gone, I reckon.  We've been stitched up.

Its a cynical world out there, boys and girls.

It certainly does look engineered, engineered by Coutinho and his agent. Not as if Coutinho didn't have a choice, not like he was forced to do this. The way I see it, the agent loaded the gun and Coutinho pulled the trigger. Both just as bad as each other.

Honestly, I think 90% of the fan base (inc me) would not have begrudged him of a move to Barca, but timing and selfishness to F**k over our team, fans and manager just to get his own way shows greed and no loyalty to me.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,228 posts | 4421 
      Reply #1844: Aug 14, 2017 12:24:58 pm
      It certainly does look engineered, engineered by Coutinho and his agent. Not as if Coutinho didn't have a choice, not like he was forced to do this. The way I see it, the agent loaded the gun and Coutinho pulled the trigger. Both just as bad as each other.

Honestly, I think 90% of the fan base (inc me) would not have begrudged him of a move to Barca, but timing and selfishness to f**k over our team, fans and manager just to get his own way shows greed and no loyalty to me.

I think he has been given a now or never ultimatum by Barca.
      The Neymar move has just panicked Barca into making they're move a year earlier than they planned.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1845: Aug 14, 2017 12:42:22 pm
      The Neymar move has just panicked Barca into making they're move a year earlier than they planned.

why would it be now or never from Barca though, it makes no sense unless they just see him as a stop gap player, in which case why on earth would you go there to play a few games then just be a sub for the rest of your time.
      the lad has had some bad advice but he can come back, give us at least one more year, I just hope Klopp can hold out the olive branch to him, but I have a feeling that Klopp might be a stubborn and arrogant man in this regard.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1846: Aug 14, 2017 12:47:58 pm

Perhaps, but all those years of support, the friendships he has made and relationships he has built surely should have meant something? All thrown in a second for his greed. I actually think it's worse than the Van Dijk situation because Coutinho has been with us for years.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,064 posts | 547 
      Reply #1847: Aug 14, 2017 02:06:13 pm
      Perhaps, but all those years of support, the friendships he has made and relationships he has built surely should have meant something? All thrown in a second for his greed. I actually think it's worse than the Van Dijk situation because Coutinho has been with us for years.

Aye, years where every season ends with a "next year we will really be ready to challenge", and every summer window shuts with us not having properly addressed the proven holes in the squad. Footballers careers don't last forever, and I don't blame the guy for getting restless when a clearly more ambitious club come calling after he has watched us treading water in terms of our squad strength for the last 3 of his 4 + a half seasons with us.

Yeah the timing is bad, yeah, of course his agent is stirring sh*t at the prospect of a big pay day, but to be fair to Coutinho, I think he has looked at our in "activity" in this window and thought "I could get old here and never win anything".

I'm guessing he was a lot more optimistic about our prospects when he signed that new deal back in January. So was I, to be honest.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #1848: Aug 14, 2017 02:23:14 pm
      The club don't even know what's going on. Peter Moore says "don't blame me, I'm not in charge of transfers, Jürgen and Edwards are"...a few days later, Klopp says "it's not up to me, the owners decide when Coutinho goes, not me".

Sounds to me like lines are being drawn and people are getting their alibi's ready.
      You're 100% right FL.

Not too many tin-foil hat's being handed out yesterday; eh? 🙄

Maybe they've been traded for flip-flops?😄
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1849: Aug 14, 2017 02:25:16 pm
      Barca signed Paulinho Euros 40m

Apparently agreed Mbappe Euros 100m plus 30m add ons

Where will this leave Phil?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1850: Aug 14, 2017 02:26:27 pm

i thought PSG had agreed Mbappe?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1851: Aug 14, 2017 02:31:03 pm
      i thought PSG had agreed Mbappe?

I meant Dembele :D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1852: Aug 14, 2017 02:35:54 pm

In either case that is going to make for a quite uncomfortable situation for Phil, I do actually feel a bit sorry for the lad, because he's been swayed by greedy family members and his agent but if he hasn't grown a set of balls yet in life now is probably the time and that starts with getting an agent who is less of a pr**k and listening a bit less to his brother who is probably consumed with envy and basically just lives off him like a leech.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #1853: Aug 14, 2017 02:45:49 pm

If true and if indeed he remains with us in September, firstly he needs to apologise to Jürgen. Put his head down,  mate,  and work hard both off and on the  field. sh*t happens. He can give us a season similar to what Suarez gave us, then have a good wcup in Russia and he can leave for Barca @ 150mn.

All it will take will be a month of match winning performances.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #1854: Aug 14, 2017 02:47:02 pm
      If they sign Dembele they've filled the Neymar void add the Paulinho signing and I think its game over in their pursuit of Phil for this season.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1855: Aug 14, 2017 02:47:20 pm

All it will take will be a month of match winning performances.

Nah.....

:tosser:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1856: Aug 14, 2017 02:51:49 pm
      I'd piss myself with laughter if Barca end the summer having failed to sign Coutinho, Dembele, Mbappe, being left with just Paulinho to tour around that concrete shithole of a stadium they have.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1857: Aug 14, 2017 02:52:32 pm

Ruddy French - they all look the same to me (in print ;))
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4596 
      Reply #1858: Aug 14, 2017 02:54:51 pm
      Team comes first & if Coutinho stays & helps the team to deliver silverware & a good league & CL campaign then it's all good for me.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #1859: Aug 14, 2017 02:55:41 pm
      In either case that is going to make for a quite uncomfortable situation for Phil, I do actually feel a bit sorry for the lad, because he's been swayed by greedy family members and his agent but if he hasn't grown a set of balls yet in life now is probably the time and that starts with getting an agent who is less of a pr**k and listening a bit less to his brother who is probably consumed with envy and basically just lives off him like a leech.

I don't think he cares about money as much as others to be honest. He has hardly rinsed us in the past. I doubt he pays that much attention to his brother or cares about what he wants either, he has said many times he likes Liverpool and his family are happy here.

He will be told his move to Barca is now or never so he is in panic mode. He needs to relax, calm down, and realise that in 10/11 months time he will still have offers pouring in providing he performs for us this season.

I have no issue with coutinho going and quite frankly, I don't blame him one bit. Why stay at Liverpool when your owners have zero ambition?

The timing however is all wrong and we simply can't afford to let him go. That's not his fault, again it's down to FSG, and had we brought in 5, 6 or maybe even 7 players like we should have by now then I think most of us would have wished Phil well in going. We should be in a steady, comfortable position going into this season and we're not, we're in complete turmoil.

FSG have really made a mess of this window and it's time our fans start waking up, you still get clowns who defend them!

The only positive thing I can think of by selling coutinho is I think that will be the final nail for FSG and our fans will eventually begin to take action against them.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1860: Aug 14, 2017 03:43:14 pm
      I don't think he cares about money as much as others to be honest. He has hardly rinsed us in the past. I doubt he pays that much attention to his brother or cares about what he wants either, he has said many times he likes Liverpool and his family are happy here.

He will be told his move to Barca is now or never so he is in panic mode. He needs to relax, calm down, and realise that in 10/11 months time he will still have offers pouring in providing he performs for us this season.

I have no issue with coutinho going and quite frankly, I don't blame him one bit. Why stay at Liverpool when your owners have zero ambition?

The timing however is all wrong and we simply can't afford to let him go. That's not his fault, again it's down to FSG, and had we brought in 5, 6 or maybe even 7 players like we should have by now then I think most of us would have wished Phil well in going. We should be in a steady, comfortable position going into this season and we're not, we're in complete turmoil.

FSG have really made a mess of this window and it's time our fans start waking up, you still get clowns who defend them!

The only positive thing I can think of by selling coutinho is I think that will be the final nail for FSG and our fans will eventually begin to take action against them.

Sorry but that's nonsense, "not his fault"?? he handed in a transfer request 1 day before the season started, he has to take some blame surely. If he was desperate to leave then he should have made that very clear at the start of the window, like VVD, not at the end.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #1861: Aug 14, 2017 04:31:29 pm
      Team comes first & if Coutinho stays & helps the team to deliver silverware & a good league & CL campaign then it's all good for me.

After that some of us have to apologise Coutinho for frustrate and abuse of his behavior ;D

Joking aside, if finally he stay and act like you said above then fairly enough for me. 
      Kopite78
      Reply #1862: Aug 14, 2017 04:37:33 pm
      After that some of us have to apologise Coutinho for frustrate and abuse of his behavior ;D

Joking aside, if finally he stay and act like you said above then fairly enough for me.

For me the number 10 gets no support now, if he stays or goes.
      If he stays I won't boo  him, I never boo my own at the ground but I wouldn't cheer for him either, he's dead to me until he goes.

I'd sell him today if I trusted the owners to spend the money to replace him.

Team comes first and if he stays he's in it but he gets no support from me

Quick Reply