Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 297705 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #2530: Aug 22, 2017 12:52:22 pm

So a good thing yes, the club saves money and gets a very good highly motivated player. THAT is a massive new signing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #2531: Aug 22, 2017 12:53:00 pm
      I don't get this view that the players are being forced to do this or that by big bad agents and other clubs..

At 25 I knew my own mind and could make my own decisions.

His 'representatives' are exactly that, they represent him, they work for him... He advises them what he ultimately wants. They need him more than he needs them, he could get other agents if the ones he has we're working against his wishes or wants

If he didn't want this or thought what they were doing was wrong he could say so to his employees

To expect us to believe different is bollocks

It's a smoke screen that he wants us to swallow

I'm not that naive

Exactly.

He wanted to go to Barca and if he had no representatives he still would have pushed for this move.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2532: Aug 22, 2017 12:53:07 pm
      Sack the agent who is working on his behalf? That would make Coutinho unprofessional both towards his employer and his employee.

Well the agent didn't deliver what the player wanted did he, so why not fire him?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2533: Aug 22, 2017 12:54:42 pm
      So a good thing yes, the club saves money and gets a very good highly motivated player. THAT is a massive new signing.
      Which releases £10M-£50M of funds from the "war-chest" to spend on other areas requiring strengthening...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2534: Aug 22, 2017 12:55:32 pm
      You might not be but 90% of the 'LFC Family', sadly, are.

Perhaps some just have the wisdom and humility to realise that we all make mistakes in life, especially when young, and also see the bigger picture which is that we still have a fantastic player at the club who will now bust a gut trying to win back the love and support of the manager, his team mates and the fans.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2535: Aug 22, 2017 12:57:27 pm
      Exactly.

He wanted to go to Barca and if he had no representatives he still would have pushed for this move.

No I disagree, i think the agent and/or brother agitated for the move and the agent in particular guaranteed it could be done with a minimum of fuss and that LFC would accept the Barca offer. If I was Phil I'd be getting a new agent, they'll be queuing up to represent him, if I was him I'd be getting that Mino Raiola guy, total pr**k but he gets deals done.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2536: Aug 22, 2017 12:59:25 pm
      Which releases £10M-£50M of funds from the "war-chest" to spend on other areas requiring strengthening...

I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, but I'll assume you are and that you agree that any youth player brought though into the 1st XI IS like a new signing, only even better as they are free, highly motivated plus they already get the team culture and philosophy.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2537: Aug 22, 2017 01:03:08 pm
      I'm not sure if you are agreeing with me or not, but I'll assume you are and that you agree that any youth player brought though into the 1st XI IS like a new signing, only even better as they are free, highly motivated plus they already get the team culture and philosophy.
      Yes, plus as I'll assume you agree releases the funds saved to be spent on other areas needing strengthening.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2538: Aug 22, 2017 01:03:24 pm
      At 25 did you have your favourite childhood company come over to you and offer to double your salary, if not then please shut up because you simply cannot compare yourself to Coutinho especially when all his closest advisors and the club itself, Barca, are all whispering in his ear for him to do this and that to force through the move.
      I genuinely feel for the lad and if you guys don't chill the f**k out with this condemnation then he will be gone, out of the club very quickly and/or his game shot to pieces.

His dream was probably to be a footballer, everything else comes later.

I'd still do things the right way.

Put it a different situation.

You're married, or with a long term girlfriend.

You're fed up, you get your head turned by another girl.. What's the best way out of this? Just cheat? Forget the right thing? Or if you are sure would you be a man and tell your wife or gf that you aren't happy any more and think it's best if you split up..
      As hurtful as that would be, it would be the right thing to do rather than be a coward and just cheat, become aloof, be an arsehole, treat her like sh*te.

I know which type of man I'd rather be.

If it was my work, and I was headhunted by another firm offering me more money, I wouldn't start slacking off, not turning up for work, be a c**t about my boss and then move.. I'd do it right.

If you think football really in the crudest of terms is any different to real life then you're wrong mate.

He's gone about it the wrong way.

Say you start being a pr**k to your wife but then the new girl thinks your not worth it, you think your wife accepts you back if you say, sorry it was my mates all along and my brother.. Nothing to do with me... What's for tea.

The new job falls through, is your previous manager going to take you back?

For the record I won't be on his back at the game, I want him to have the best season ever but I won't support him either, I won't sing his song
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2017 01:12:02 pm by Kopite78 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #2539: Aug 22, 2017 01:05:11 pm
      At 25 did you have your favourite childhood company come over to you and offer to double your salary, if not then please shut up because you simply cannot compare yourself to Coutinho especially when all his closest advisors and the club itself, Barca, are all whispering in his ear for him to do this and that to force through the move.
      I genuinely feel for the lad and if you guys don't chill the f**k out with this condemnation then he will be gone, out of the club very quickly and/or his game shot to pieces.

I think you are the one that needs to shut up and chill out. Have a word with yourself.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2540: Aug 22, 2017 01:06:01 pm
      Perhaps some just have the wisdom and humility to realise that we all make mistakes in life, especially when young, and also see the bigger picture which is that we still have a fantastic player at the club who will now bust a gut trying to win back the love and support of the manager, his team mates and the fans.

Yes but you think he will consider he has made a mistake? He won't. He will probably deep down be fu**ed off we didn't let him move
      Bust a gut to win back the love?  :lmao:
      Maybe once he's come out of his blame period he will get his head down to get the move again next season
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2541: Aug 22, 2017 01:13:50 pm
      Perhaps some just have the wisdom and humility to realise that we all make mistakes in life

What mistake did he make? Following his dreams to try and get a move to Barcelona?

I'd have more respect for him if after this was over he just came out and told the truth.  'Barcelona are my dream club and I would have loved to have gone there but now I can't go I will work hard for Liverpool this coming season' would be closer to the truth than 'Barcelona made me say all those things - bad bad Barcelona.'
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #2542: Aug 22, 2017 01:16:02 pm

What I find troubling about this argument is that we ignore the time needed for the young players to evolve. While we all want players from Melwood to graduate to the first team, we would also want them to become world class players and serve the club for a long time. Let us say for the sake of our argument that we have a young DM making it to the first team. The question here is that: can they play week in and week out? By playing them week in and week out, is there too much of a spotlight on them? By looking at these kids as a new signing, read an alternative to an experienced signing, are we burning them out and exposing them to injuries(Ex: Rooney, Owen et al)? In a team of experienced players, it is unfair to expect this kid to provide that spark or inspiration.

You cannot look at an 18 year old to shoulder the responsibilities of the team as soon as they step into the team. It has to evolve gradually (maybe 2-3 years). While this is a good option to have in the team, it cannot be a go-to strategy.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #2543: Aug 22, 2017 01:20:43 pm
      What I find troubling about this argument is that we ignore the time needed for the young players to evolve. While we all want players from Melwood to graduate to the first team, we would also want them to become world class players and serve the club for a long time. Let us say for the sake of our argument that we have a young DM making it to the first team. The question here is that: can they play week in and week out? By playing them week in and week out, is there too much of a spotlight on them? By looking at these kids as a new signing, read an alternative to an experienced signing, are we burning them out and exposing them to injuries(Ex: Rooney, Owen et al)? In a team of experienced players, it is unfair to expect this kid to provide that spark or inspiration.

You cannot look at an 18 year old to shoulder the responsibilities of the team as soon as they step into the team. It has to evolve gradually (maybe 2-3 years). While this is a good option to have in the team, it cannot be a go-to strategy.
      Agreed, so not quite the same as a new signing.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2544: Aug 22, 2017 01:24:39 pm
      Realistically Coutinho has said nothing, it all came through third parties, we know he was complicit but that's how he'll absolve the blame.

Kopite78
      Reply #2545: Aug 22, 2017 01:27:09 pm
      Realistically Coutinho has said nothing, it all came through third parties, we know he was complicit but that's how he'll absolve the blame.

But anyone with half a brain will not buy that?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2546: Aug 22, 2017 01:35:18 pm
      But anyone with half a brain will not buy that?

He comes out and says he wanted to move amicably, submitted a request, kept his mouth shut and the background noise was the Media/Barca misrepresenting him a massive amount of the fan base would lap iy up, call me a cynic but that's exactly why it was orchestrated this way.

He knew from Germany we had no desire to sell.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #2547: Aug 22, 2017 01:35:32 pm
      A half decent thing would be to go and visit this kid. At least he can make this kid's day.

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #2548: Aug 22, 2017 01:36:53 pm
      I don't get this view that the players are being forced to do this or that by big bad agents and other clubs..

At 25 I knew my own mind and could make my own decisions.

His 'representatives' are exactly that, they represent him, they work for him... He advises them what he ultimately wants. They need him more than he needs them, he could get other agents if the ones he has we're working against his wishes or wants

If he didn't want this or thought what they were doing was wrong he could say so to his employees

To expect us to believe different is bollocks

It's a smoke screen that he wants us to swallow

I'm not that naive

Of course.

Nobody believes it.

But what I do believe is this is him beginning to slither his way back into the fold.

His motives are shot but the means justify then ends, for LFC at least.  ;)

Music to my ears.
      Kopite78
      Reply #2549: Aug 22, 2017 01:38:04 pm
      He comes out and says he wanted to move amicably, submitted a request, kept his mouth shut and the background noise was the Media/Barca misrepresenting him a massive amount of the fan base would lap iy up, call meca cynic but that's exactly why it was orchestrated this way.

But like I say you wouldn't buy that no?

Because if true he would have spoken out a week back or beyond to say that.. Or he would be far more active with how he deals with it.

He was fully complicit and if anyone thinks not they're very naive

Look he's staying because he has to, I hope he has a Worldy season.. But don't be fooled that this is where he wants to be
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2550: Aug 22, 2017 01:41:41 pm
      He was fully complicit and if anyone thinks not they're very naive

So your arguing a point I already made ???

Kopite78
      Reply #2551: Aug 22, 2017 01:47:18 pm
      So your arguing a point I already made ???

Not at all. I'm agreeing

But around that you said that it will be said that it all came through third parties and that's how he will be absolved.

I'm saying that if you believe that part over the part saying he's complicit then you're naive (not you, generally)
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2552: Aug 22, 2017 01:53:19 pm
      Not at all. I'm agreeing

But around that you said that it will be said that it all came through third parties and that's how he will be absolved.

I'm saying that if you believe that part over the part saying he's complicit then you're naive (not you, generally)

That's the narrative that will be played out.

Personally i really don't care where his loyalties lie as long as he puts in %100, players don't fanatically support the club generally, Henderson is %150 Sunderland supporter

Quick Reply