Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 286581 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #1817: Aug 13, 2017 11:00:56 pm
      Questioning rather than a direct question.

But you questioned me first to which I was questioning in my response

I never asked you a question.

I'm not asking you to join me in anything, I am just saying I think we can do more... you agree as far as I can tell but you seem to think I'm trying to start a revolution  of some sort.

I just want us to be more proactive and not have negative net spend when we clearly need more, to back out manager on his targets when we clearly have the money.

I believe the club should and could do much more on so many levels it makes my head spin.

However

Don't expect me to build and light effigy's or think I will blindly believe that everything that happens is some type of ponzi conspiracy to keep the fan base in the shackles of mediocrity.

Not saying you hold this opinion of conspiracies as others do...but on certain things I will also call bullshit where I see bullshit and calling out bullshit does not mean undying support for the ownership.

Fair enough? if so then lets just leave it at that.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1818: Aug 13, 2017 11:05:11 pm
      I believe the club should and could do much more on so many levels it makes my head spin.

However

Don't expect me to build and light effigy's or think I will blindly believe that everything that happens is some type of ponzi conspiracy to keep the fan base in the shackles of mediocrity.

Not saying you hold this opinion of conspiracies as others do...but on certain things I will also call bullshit where I see bullshit and calling out bullshit does not mean undying support for the ownership.

Fair enough? if so then lets just leave it at that.

All we all want is them to do more.

Not more than everything in their powers and beyond our limits just more than the abject sh*te they do.

I'm.not asking for effigys or anything of the sort but I'm not sitting here pretending that they have done everything possible and that there is nothing more that they can do when that is clearly and absolutely bollocks.

No conspiracy just ineptitude
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #1819: Aug 13, 2017 11:11:29 pm
      So, after that humiliating loss vs Real at home, I suspect Barca will be desperate to sign Coutinho. 200m will do nicely.

Can't imagine why he'd want to go there anyway. Should've been 3-0 with a yellow to Suarez for diving - but they'll always have the refs with them.

Apart from a couple, their team as a whole nowadays looks old, slow, and boring.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1820: Aug 13, 2017 11:13:15 pm
      All we all want is them to do more.

Not more than everything in their powers and beyond our limits just more than the abject sh*te they do.

I'm.not asking for effigys or anything of the sort but I'm not sitting here pretending that they have done everything possible and that there is nothing more that they can do when that is clearly and absolutely bollocks.

No conspiracy just ineptitude

My opinion is I don't know what is happening because we were told one thing, the manager went with the same thing...then the manager says he has control, then he says he has no control.

The manager said he wants plan A only and no plan B; however no matter who the owners are you can't just have only plan A.

Plan A for the mancs was Griezemann, Plan B was Morata and eventually they ended up with Plan C Lukaku which in turn spoiled Chelsea's Plan A whereas they went for Plan B Morata.

So to me right now there are too many mixed signals at what point do you go to Jürgen and say we can't get him we need to move on...and at what point does Jürgen say OK plan B then.

Truth be told...people making the deals could do more but if Jürgen has no back-up plan then that's just as bad.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1821: Aug 13, 2017 11:23:00 pm
      My opinion is I don't know what is happening because we were told one thing, the manager went with the same thing...then the manager says he has control, then he says he has no control.

The manager said he wants plan A only and no plan B; however no matter who the owners are you can't just have only plan A.

Plan A for the mancs was Griezemann, Plan B was Morata and eventually they ended up with Plan C Lukaku which in turn spoiled Chelsea's Plan A whereas they went for Plan B Morata.

So to me right now there are too many mixed signals at what point do you go to Jürgen and say we can't get him we need to move on...and at what point does Jürgen say OK plan B then.

Truth be told...people making the deals could do more but if Jürgen has no back-up plan then that's just as bad.

You're guessing.

But as you say none of us really know what's happening but still I'd rather use facts, their transfer record and trophy record is sh*te

So I want them to do better.

4 managers now in their time, 1 trophy.
      Negative net spend in the last 2 years,  bordering on 3... money is always there to be spent but never is.
      Forget the first three but focus on Klopp, he was meant to be their last throw of the dice, get a world class manager in and back him... well he's given his targets, they aren't exactly Messi and Ronaldo..... Not exactly from Barca or Madrid..So get them done. Back him

I dont care about Utd, never have.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #1822: Aug 13, 2017 11:23:26 pm
      So, after that humiliating loss vs Real at home, I suspect Barca will be desperate to sign Coutinho. 200m will do nicely.

Coutinho will just go from one side with a brilliant attack that can't defend to another side that has a brilliant attack but can't defend.

If that's what he wants, at this point, I say give it to him.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #1823: Aug 13, 2017 11:25:52 pm
      You're guessing.

But as you say none of us really know what's happening but still I'd rather use facts, their transfer record and trophy record is sh*te

So I want them to do better.

4 managers now in their time, 1 trophy.
      Negative net spend in the last 2 years,  bordering on 3... money is always there to be spent but never is.
      Forget the first three but focus on Klopp, he was meant to be their last throw of the dice, get a world class manager in and back him... well he's given his targets, they aren't exactly Messi and Ronaldo..... Not exactly from Barca or Madrid..So get them done. Back him

I dont care about Utd, never have.

The club don't even know what's going on. Peter Moore says "don't blame me, I'm not in charge of transfers, Jürgen and Edwards are"...a few days later, Klopp says "it's not up to me, the owners decide when Coutinho goes, not me".

Sounds to me like lines are being drawn and people are getting their alibi's ready. Jürgen doesn't seem like the type to give up, but he also doesn't seem like the type that would want to associate with the pansies in Boston so maybe I've read him wrong. I mean it's not like he can claim he was duped about how things were going to be.....Brendan's tenure showed him exactly how things work around here.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #1824: Aug 13, 2017 11:29:31 pm
      Can't imagine why he'd want to go there anyway. Should've been 3-0 with a yellow to Suarez for diving - but they'll always have the refs with them.

Apart from a couple, their team as a whole nowadays looks old, slow, and boring.
      Suarez diving and Messi scoring from the penalty and that's all they can muster. Real Madrid are surely superior to Barcelona now. This is not knee jerk from one game, I am taking last season into account. Barcelona are not winning a lot this season. Atletico are just as good right right now. It was clear today they are just a Messi and Suarez show. No balance, not good enough to win CL. Real Madrid will probably finish 10-15 points ahead of them.. maybe they can win the domestic cup if they get lucky.
      « Last Edit: Aug 13, 2017 11:34:33 pm by Ribapuru »
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1825: Aug 13, 2017 11:31:24 pm
      The club don't even know what's going on. Peter Moore says "don't blame me, I'm not in charge of transfers, Jürgen and Edwards are"...a few days later, Klopp says "it's not up to me, the owners decide when Coutinho goes, not me".

Sounds to me like lines are being drawn and people are getting their alibi's ready. Jürgen doesn't seem like the type to give up, but he also doesn't seem like the type that would want to associate with the pansies in Boston so maybe I've read him wrong. I mean it's not like he can claim he was duped about how things were going to be.....Brendan's tenure showed him exactly how things work around here.

I think Edwards need to go ASAP....he might be smart but there are plenty of smart people in the world that can't find they're ass for a hole in the ground.

FSG just do what you say and what the club makes goes back into the club and leave the rest alone.

Let the CEO handle the business and do whatever it takes to get a Zorc type person running the football matters with Jürgen and let them do they're job.

I honestly think Edwards is a neophyte way out of his league, we need experience, connections and a hard ass in his position.

Sort this out and have ownership just get out of the way and it would probably sort itself out.

We are always trying to be cute and think we are going to outsmart others and it's simply failed time and time again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #1826: Aug 13, 2017 11:33:18 pm
      I think Edwards need to go ASAP....he might be smart but there are plenty of smart people in the world that can't find they're ass for a hole in the ground.

FSG just do what you say and what the club makes goes back into the club and leave the rest alone.

Let the CEO handle the business and do whatever it takes to get a Zorc type person running the football matter with Jürgen and let them do they're job.

I honestly think Edwards is a neophyte way out of his league, we need experience, connections and a hard ass in his position.

Sort this out and have ownership just get out of the way and it would probably sort itself out.

We need to go back in to RB Leipzig and put in a bid for Rangnick. I have no doubt we'd already have our transfer business wrapped up if he was DOF.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1827: Aug 13, 2017 11:34:23 pm
      Mate, I think most would agree that we need both to happen. We're 3-4 players short regardless, one look at our bench again yesterday confirms that. The window still has a couple of weeks to go so I'm pinning all my hopes on the club doing some Proper business and also keeping hold of Coutinho if they've got the balls.

Yeah, I agree with that.

After Coutinho put his transfer request in, I was thinking if we could get a replacement in and good money for him I'd let him go.

Now though, after the sh*te that's came out about his relationship with Klopp deteriorating and a member of his family supposedly saying something bad about the club, I think we should keep him just so he doesn't get what he wants.

I always thought Coutinho was alright to be honest. There's no loyalty left in the game, that's a given. But I thought he was a decent lad.

He's obviously told his agent to get to do whatever's necessary for him to get his move though and that's why all this bollocks is coming out.

Be interesting to see what sort of reaction he'll get at the match if he's still here after the window shuts.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #1828: Aug 13, 2017 11:35:58 pm
      Genuine question: if we successfully signed both Keita and VVD this summer, do you guys reckon Coutinho would still try to force his way out?
      I'm sure by now most of us supporters have felt a massive disappointment with our summer transfers, but I wonder what the top players in the team feel about it?
      Bar Henderson, Coutinho has been at the club longer than anyone else in the main squad. How do you think he feels about us constantly selling our best players and replacing them with average players? How does he feel about seeing his best efforts consistently being nullified by our atrocious defense? He's at his peak right now, and like other world-class players, he's entitled to have the ambition of winning trophies. Whatever our club is doing doesn't point toward that direction and the players can see it.

Don't take me wrong, submitting a transfer request the day before the start of the season is a dick move. But I do sympathize for the lad a bit. I think he's also being misled by his agent and all the F***ing tapping up from Barcelona. I don't mind him staying with us this season and I believe he will still give us his best. Because let's face it, no matter how much we sell him for, we're not gonna do F**k all with that money.

AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1829: Aug 13, 2017 11:37:22 pm
      We need to go back in to RB Leipzig and put in a bid for Rangnick. I have no doubt we'd already have our transfer business wrapped up if he was DOF.

Yeah I don't care for the fella from this end but it's really the type we need.

I have no clue as to what Edwards accomplished to get this job.

Seems he is on the job training versus actually doing the job.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #1830: Aug 13, 2017 11:40:19 pm
      It's becoming a bit of a joke now,where's the money???
      Cannot believe how much cash has been saved over the last two seasons with players leaving, being sold, tv revenues and commercial deals, the list goes on and the cash rolls in .
      Yes they have built a shiny new stand and marketed us very well but that doesn't put pots in the cabinet.
      It's all beginning to stink a bit now and with the coutinho situation looking like he's going ,we will be bulging with cash and no one to spend it on.

Is the issue that they're unwilling to spend money or that they and their staff are so incompetent that they're never in the position to do so (sh*te at negotiating, picking unrealistic or unavailable targets, etc).

Not their biggest fan by any means but I do think they were willing to sanction transfers that would total around 170m this year. That's decent money.

They've done plenty of penny pinching in the past though.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #1831: Aug 14, 2017 03:03:17 am
      Yeah I don't care for the fella from this end but it's really the type we need.

I have no clue as to what Edwards accomplished to get this job.

Seems he is on the job training versus actually doing the job.

Very true.

But hardly surprising that absentee owners with a limited interest in football, who learned on the job themselves would appoint Edwards.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1832: Aug 14, 2017 03:13:55 am
      Very true.

But hardly surprising that absentee owners with a limited interest in football, who learned on the job themselves would appoint Edwards.

Honestly can't figure out why the manager (who will supposedly make them or break them) doesn't insist of having someone in the job that can get it done.

It's one thing to be financially behind a club like Chelsea but there is no reason why you can't hire the best brains out there in football to help see things on....at least it gives you a fighting chance.

Go get a Zorc...pay him an obscene amount of money to pry him away from Dortmund and let him do his thing.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1833: Aug 14, 2017 04:11:06 am

I'm away so may have missed this but where did Klopp say the owners will decide when Coutinho goes?
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #1834: Aug 14, 2017 04:28:23 am
      Genuine question: if we successfully signed both Keita and VVD this summer, do you guys reckon Coutinho would still try to force his way out?
      I'm sure by now most of us supporters have felt a massive disappointment with our summer transfers, but I wonder what the top players in the team feel about it?
      Bar Henderson, Coutinho has been at the club longer than anyone else in the main squad. How do you think he feels about us constantly selling our best players and replacing them with average players? How does he feel about seeing his best efforts consistently being nullified by our atrocious defense? He's at his peak right now, and like other world-class players, he's entitled to have the ambition of winning trophies. Whatever our club is doing doesn't point toward that direction and the players can see it.

Don't take me wrong, submitting a transfer request the day before the start of the season is a dick move. But I do sympathize for the lad a bit. I think he's also being misled by his agent and all the f**king tapping up from Barcelona. I don't mind him staying with us this season and I believe he will still give us his best. Because let's face it, no matter how much we sell him for, we're not gonna do f**k all with that money.

IMO mate, whatever happen at our club do not affect Coutinho desire to go playing for Barca or R.Madrid. It's like it bond to the south America players. And once they have their family it just make the move change from desire to a need.

And of course the big pulling of those Spain giants are they almost guarantee trophies and more money.

For some player, to sign for the rich club those pay good money like Man Utd/City or Chelsea and the picture is clear the clubs ambitious to win trophies maybe enough to persuade them stay but the situation of LFC right now we could be a step stone at best. 
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,147 posts | 257 
      Reply #1835: Aug 14, 2017 04:35:38 am
      I'm away so may have missed this but where did Klopp say the owners will decide when Coutinho goes?

Maybe this mate.

https://youtu.be/_tDbEbrStZU

Jürgen interview. Seems Jürgen isn't as in control off transfers as some of you want to believe!

"I have bosses yeah? And if bosses decide for example, just in general, we sell a player or we don't sell him, then I have to accept it. If we don't sell him then I'm not involved anymore. I'm responsible for all the players. I've to work with the players I have."

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1836: Aug 14, 2017 04:59:27 am

Cheers I did indeed miss that!
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,039 posts | 336 
      Reply #1837: Aug 14, 2017 10:29:47 am
      The Coutinho situation looks like a piece of agitating by a greedy agent to me. 

I find it very hard to believe that Phil has lost any loyalty to the club just because Barca came calling.

The timing of the transfer request, the comments from family members, the drip-drip of supposed examples of a rift. . .  Fake news or manipulation?

All looks engineered so that LFC end up having to sell to preserve squad morale, to turn the fans against him and to leave time in the window for potential suitors to come in and bid against Barca, potentially raising the fee to a level where we couldn't turn it down.  He's as good as gone, I reckon.  We've been stitched up.

Its a cynical world out there, boys and girls.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #1838: Aug 14, 2017 11:17:36 am
      This is spot on.

Unfortunately the need to label, categorise and marginalise opinions has got to the point that discussion is being stymied.

You don't have an opinion, you're either pro or anti everything, as you say so well, there's no grey area accepted, that would be far too interesting and complex. Much easier to stick a label on you and attack you because of it and the justification for it, who cares, that becomes irrelevant as long as the label sticks.

The bottom line is no 2 of us interpret the stuff we don't really know in the same way. You can disagree with good posters all day long on some aspects (you and I re Hendo are a perfect example Luke).

Ultimately it's all speculation/ hyperbole......you just have to filter through the stuff you find informative and ignore the rest.

Whilst calling out the occasional dickbag troll along the way like......;)
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,283 posts | 235 
      Reply #1839: Aug 14, 2017 11:40:01 am
      i would put him in reserve team ungrateful c**t.

Quick Reply