Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283872 times
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #2898: Aug 27, 2017 08:37:20 am
      I agree with the sentiment KK. We don't know how much of what is reported is true as they mostly feed on scraps. But, we cannot let these players hold the club to ransom. This view of LFC being a stepping stone to the likes of Barca and Madrid must stop. We are not their feeder club. The club needs to become a destination and not a springboard to other clubs. The club needs to use this situation to set a precedent for the future. Force him to stay. If he is going to act like a petulant kid demanding such stupid things as reported recently, then don't bow down to it. Who is going to lose the most if a player refuses to play? The player himself.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2899: Aug 27, 2017 10:43:44 am
      I agree with the sentiment KK. We don't know how much of what is reported is true as they mostly feed on scraps. But, we cannot let these players hold the club to ransom. This view of LFC being a stepping stone to the likes of Barca and Madrid must stop. We are not their feeder club. The club needs to become a destination and not a springboard to other clubs. The club needs to use this situation to set a precedent for the future. Force him to stay. If he is going to act like a petulant kid demanding such stupid things as reported recently, then don't bow down to it. Who is going to lose the most if a player refuses to play? The player himself.

I don't think it's down to us being a "feeder club". If you want to put it like that then you'd have to argue that most clubs around Europe or the world, for that matter are all "feeder clubs". I look at it this way, the top footballers only have a certain shelf life and they are looking for certain things.

Champions league or European football.
      The prestige of playing for a bigger or better club.
      Money.
      The chance to play with or play against  better players.
      The lifestyle in certain areas where a club is situated.

It's not an exuastable list but that's the main ones I think. So if a club cannot offer some if not all of the things that these players want then sooner or later they will want to move on. Coutinho is no different IMO, they are petulant children who will throw their toys when they can't get their own way. He wants to move on and yes the club will make it difficult because he is a valuable asset not just about money but to the team. IMO he will move on, if it's not this window then maybe the next but he won't be on his own we've seen it in players before at our club and in others, it will always happen some time or other. I do believe that the club are correct in their stance at the moment because the boy will be difficult to replace not about the player but what he brings to the team.There will be another player that will give the same effort and skill that Coutinho gives I'm sure but the timing is key here, you can't just go into a shop and pick out another player like this like you can with a toy. Sooner or later though we will have to get used to the fact that Coutinho,s time is limited with us and he won't be the last that does this I'm sure.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #2900: Aug 27, 2017 02:07:23 pm
      Basically Trebz it's what I have stated as well. Maybe, you disagree with the "feeder" word? Will springboard be an acceptable word?

What this means is that when players join the club, they join having other clubs in their minds. You don't see such frequent sales from other English clubs such as City, United or Chelsea (reason could be money, CL footy,  trophies etc..). I think there was an article on the Nytimes (by Rory Smith) recently that LFC is seen as a "springboard" by the South American players to Madrid and Barca. All our club gets when we sign such players is a half hearted commitment to the cause. Granted they don't have the affinity to the club like a Gerrard or a Fowler. But, there are your Aggers and Hyppias too. As a fan you grow to love these players, start singing their names only to realise that they don't give a F**k about you. One can argue that it's the club that a fan should love and not the players. But, isn't the club made up of these players? Don't these players make the club?

And, we can't condone this behaviour as the behaviour of a petulant child and shrug it off. OK, the player has dreams. So, does the club. You can't put in the transfer request a day before the start of a season. Klopp had repeatedly said during the pre season that there will be no outgoing transfers of key players.  I am sure he would have come up with that statement after having multiple conversations with all the key players. And, to your point that Coutinho will be replaced - agree, eventually, he will be replaced. But, if we let the player dictate terms here then this new player who replaced Coutinho on the field will replace his behaviour off the field too. I believe that there is always a way to say Goodbye in amicable terms. And, players need to be mindful of the fact and respect the club and fans that make them what they are in the world of football.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #2901: Aug 27, 2017 02:54:46 pm
      Basically Trebz it's what I have stated as well. Maybe, you disagree with the "feeder" word? Will springboard be an acceptable word?

What this means is that when players join the club, they join having other clubs in their minds. You don't see such frequent sales from other English clubs such as City, United or Chelsea (reason could be money, CL footy,  trophies etc..). I think there was an article on the Nytimes (by Rory Smith) recently that LFC is seen as a "springboard" by the South American players to Madrid and Barca. All our club gets when we sign such players is a half hearted commitment to the cause. Granted they don't have the affinity to the club like a Gerrard or a Fowler. But, there are your Aggers and Hyppias too. As a fan you grow to love these players, start singing their names only to realise that they don't give a f**k about you. One can argue that it's the club that a fan should love and not the players. But, isn't the club made up of these players? Don't these players make the club?

And, we can't condone this behaviour as the behaviour of a petulant child and shrug it off. OK, the player has dreams. So, does the club. You can't put in the transfer request a day before the start of a season. Klopp had repeatedly said during the pre season that there will be no outgoing transfers of key players.  I am sure he would have come up with that statement after having multiple conversations with all the key players. And, to your point that Coutinho will be replaced - agree, eventually, he will be replaced. But, if we let the player dictate terms here then this new player who replaced Coutinho on the field will replace his behaviour off the field too. I believe that there is always a way to say Goodbye in amicable terms. And, players need to be mindful of the fact and respect the club and fans that make them what they are in the world of football.

Great reply red. The wording of this like "feeder" or "springboard" really makes no difference I don't think. If we look at players and say well maybe we shouldn't sign this player or that on the worry that he'll move on in a couple of years would be pointless. We would all like to sign young talent like Coutinho and give them 10 year contracts with clauses to say you can't move on within that time length but that will never happen. The days of the one one club player are long gone. I'm not saying it's our fault but we are not consistently successful enough for top players to stick around on a long term basis. Not all players will think like this I know but players do get their heads turned. We were after Keita and VVD and their clubs have said no they can't go because they are top players and their clubs will have ambitions of their own but you know,in the end, if they really want to go they'll get their way. If Phil does go we will just have to move on. We have a fantastic manager with proven history of bringing out young talent so all we need to do is be successful on a consistent basis to keep hold of top players.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #2902: Aug 27, 2017 07:25:55 pm
      For 140 mil i'd say we should sell him, our attack looks very well even without Couts, and with those money we could sort out our defence and buy 1 top midfielder.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2903: Aug 27, 2017 07:40:43 pm
      For 140 mil i'd say we should sell him, our attack looks very well even without Couts, and with those money we could sort out our defence and buy 1 top midfielder.
      No, we need depth. Season only just started and around February when half our first 11 team is injured, I'd rather have Coutinho than Brannagan.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #2904: Aug 27, 2017 07:43:58 pm
      No, we need depth. Season only just started and around February when half our first 11 team is injured, I'd rather have Coutinho than Brannagan.

That is assuming he will play to his usual level and not just sulk.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2905: Aug 27, 2017 07:51:48 pm
      That is assuming he will play to his usual level and not just sulk.
      He won't risk missing out on the world cup. Only reason why Coutinho will sulk is if Klopp benches him. He won't walk back into this side easily now. For him to get back in somebody has to underperform and he has to prove he will give his all. After today Coutinho should be very worried because he's lost his first 11 place. We also have to fit Lallana back in when he returns. I think we will use Coutinho this season, but it's when we will need him.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #2906: Aug 27, 2017 08:05:00 pm

NO chance. We are in 4 competitions. We saw what happened last season without mane. We are already without lallana until late november / early december.

He needs to pull his finger out and try and win his place back in the side. Our rivals would be made up if we sold Coutinho. 140/240/500m in the bank wins you nothing. We don't need to sell him to buy a defender or midfielder. We have a warchest that we cannot spend because leipzig and southampton will not sell.

We have no chance of replacing him this late in the window.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #2907: Aug 27, 2017 08:08:36 pm
      NO chance. We are in 4 competitions. We saw what happened last season without mane. We are already without lallana until late november / early december.

He needs to pull his finger out and try and win his place back in the side. Our rivals would be made up if we sold Coutinho. 140/240/500m in the bank wins you nothing. We don't need to sell him to buy a defender or midfielder. We have a warchest that we cannot spend because leipzig and southampton will not sell.

We have no chance of replacing him this late in the window.
      Same, the only way I would let Coutinho go for 140m is if we could get Deli Alli for that amount. Not going to happen.. Delli Alli is apparently the 2nd most valuable player on the planet now. With a 1 in 3 goal ratio as a midfielder, I am not surprised.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2908: Aug 27, 2017 08:24:31 pm
      He wants to leave for Barca, and who can blame him? He'll be struggling to get game time with this attack.....
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2909: Aug 27, 2017 09:05:30 pm
      Here's hoping the little weasel comes grovelling back to Klopp.

Spineless F**k he is.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #2910: Aug 27, 2017 09:20:33 pm
      Wantaway Philippe Coutinho willing to knuckle down — once Liverpool promise to sell him to Barcelona next summer

The Brazilian is ready to 'Do a Luis Suarez' and give the Reds everything for one last season before moving to the Nou Camp

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/coutinho-wants-liverpool-promise-barcelona-11058733

The manc press doing what it does.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #2911: Aug 27, 2017 09:27:18 pm
      Coutinho will be looking at a slot in the centre of the pitch for now, taking perhaps Wijnaldums position.

When the inevitable injuries happen there will be space in the team for him. He won't struggle for games he can play anywhere from midfield onwards.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #2912: Aug 27, 2017 09:36:46 pm
      Coutinho will be looking at a slot in the centre of the pitch for now, taking perhaps Wijnaldums position.

When the inevitable injuries happen there will be space in the team for him. He won't struggle for games he can play anywhere from midfield onwards.

Be looking at a spot on the bench if today is anything to go for. I can't see in today's line up who you could justifiably drop to make room for him, especially with his recent behaviour. He's got some damn hard graft to be putting in.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2913: Aug 27, 2017 09:39:35 pm
      Windows shut soon guess we'll either see the clubs resolve tested or Couts ability to accept it if he doesn't get his move..
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2914: Aug 27, 2017 09:52:13 pm
      He won't risk missing out on the world cup. Only reason why Coutinho will sulk is if Klopp benches him. He won't walk back into this side easily now. For him to get back in somebody has to underperform and he has to prove he will give his all. After today Coutinho should be very worried because he's lost his first 11 place. We also have to fit Lallana back in when he returns. I think we will use Coutinho this season, but it's when we will need him.
      Your presuming he will not just do what he thinks is enough to get his place in the Brazilian squad.... He may well do that both not go the extra yards when needed
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #2915: Aug 27, 2017 09:56:27 pm
      What a Cuntinho. He just extented his contract to 2022 and now he's commanding us to leave next year or he will do what? F**k you, I want the club to state that he will be here till 2022 and that he can choose: commitment or captain of our amateur team till 2022. Show this bi*ch what the real world is all about.

How will Anfields fans react? I mean this little c*nt did any dirty trick possible...he better gives us a good head.

Liverpool needs to stay iron-strong here or it will give Mané or Can invitation to try bs like that next year too. Therefore I admire Southampton so far...they stay strong and if they hold they can send a message for the future to all their players. We need to do that too.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #2916: Aug 27, 2017 10:01:19 pm
      If the deal is right i think we should sell!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2917: Aug 27, 2017 10:01:40 pm
      Sell Coutinho, £130 m +...offer Southampton £60 m cash and Sakho for VVD... and offer RB Leipzig £90 m for Naby Keïta
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #2918: Aug 27, 2017 10:04:56 pm
      .he better gives us a good head.

That's a little extreme, sticking the ball in the net will do for me, I may love Phil at his best but don't think he needs to suck on my todger for forgiveness...
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2919: Aug 27, 2017 10:38:32 pm
      Watching that last night, how the F**k could he not want to be part of that attack!!!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #2920: Aug 28, 2017 05:24:36 am
      The manc press doing what it does.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/coutinho-wants-liverpool-promise-barcelona-11058733

Exactly Stu. 
      The article would be forgotten in a years time if it didnt happen.

However .....

If there was any truth in it then I'm good with that.
      After yesterdays result  v  The Arse  do we need him ?

We would have a year to buy in a replacement and no one would get shafted buying a club shirt for 18/19 .

Yes.
      Sign the deal,  agree the price and show us what you can do in your final season for us Couts.

Quick Reply