Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283914 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3289: Sep 04, 2017 08:18:22 am
      I like Si Hughes, I mean really like his writing on the club but I fail to believe this angle to the story..

Segura only really wanted him to F**k Liverpool off?
      Henry only dug his heels in to F**k Segura off?

It was a personal battle between the two? A dick swinging contest?

I just don't see it..

The Barca/Coutinho links have been there for years, I imagine there are plenty at the club aware of his talent and how he would be suitable for them, I mean we can see that too.. I would think that at Barca they gauge the thoughts of their senior players too and Suarez for one and defiantly Neymar until he left would be telling them how good he is..

From our point, for me it simply came down down to timing more than anything, he'd recently signed a new deal, he is a key player and the timing of the offer and request came too late in a weird window, thanks mainly to Barca/Neymar and PSG.

To think it's a personal dick swinging contest between two men stretches it a bit far to me.

It's had too much air time/paper talk, let's just get on with it now, we've still got Phil as much as I personally have a bitter taste for his actions we still have him to pull strings for us... Barca have Paulinho to pull the strings for them  :D... Everyone's a winner..  :laughing-smiley-014:
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3290: Sep 04, 2017 08:52:07 am
      One day we'll sign a player who is good and it won't be credited to a tip off from Rafa. Similarly one day something bad will happen and it won't be "all down to Rodgers".

I'm not sure when that day will be, but it WILL happen one day.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,081 posts | 805 
      Reply #3291: Sep 04, 2017 09:13:22 am
      The inside story of why Liverpool simply couldn't buckle and sell Philippe Coutinho to a man they used to know

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/the-inside-story-of-why-liverpool-simply-couldnt-buckle-and-sell-philippe-coutinho-to-a-man-they-used-to-know/ar-AAr4EzD
      Provided by Independent Print Limited

Five years separates two stories ,involving the same characters; one prevalent in this country, the another not so well known. They are tales that go some way towards explaining why Barcelona were so forceful in their attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho but ultimately, why their attempt will prove not to be quite forceful enough.

It was in July 2012 when Pep Segura, then the technical manager at Liverpool’s academy, ended his three-year association at the club after previously being told by Liverpool’s owner, John W. Henry, he had earned a promotion.

Before Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool's manager, Henry and Segura held a three-hour meeting and it was concluded that Segura would become Liverpool’s new sporting director, filling the administrative space left behind by Damien Comolli’s sacking a few months earlier.

Rodgers, though, had other ideas, insisting his own appointment would not involve another tier of management above him.

For Segura – a decent man, and someone respected inside Liverpool particularly for his contribution towards the development of Raheem Sterling – there was reasonable embarrassment when he arrived at Melwood for the start of pre-season training only to find out then there would be no place for him in the new set-up.

Despite his efforts to contact Henry about his proposed fresh responsibilities, the line of communication had gone stone cold since Rodgers’s arrival. Though he expected that plans had changed, Segura was upset and angry that he had found out this way and so, on that July morning, rather than driving to the academy in Kirkby as he had been told to by Rodgers, he resigned on the spot – though the announcement of his departure was made a month later.

Those who knew Segura best from his time at Liverpool describe him as a professional and so, his hurt was understandable considering he had been treated him without the necessary level of respect. Sources in Catalonia, meanwhile, say Segura has a long memory. Now Barcelona’s general manager having returned to the club where he built his coaching reputation, and as the person overseeing player recruitment, it is told he has viewed the signing of Coutinho as a personal mission.

While Coutinho is seen as a long-term successor for the fading AndrĂ©s Iniesta, the whiplash of his own departure from Liverpool still stings and it is said he would like nothing better than to expose Fenway Sports Group’s collective stance over Coutinho’s future as total mush.

It was a small but significant detail when Fenway released a “definitive” statement earlier this month, outlining that Coutinho would not be sold, this was not a statement released by Liverpool FC but by its ownership group, a statement, indeed, that was not signed off by any person in particular as they often are when something important is announced

Hour-by-hour, day-to-day, week-to-week, Henry does not have much involvement in the decision-making processes at the club and instead, key issues are dealt with by JĂŒrgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, and Mike Gordon, Fenway’s president.

Henry only intervenes when he really needs to and this was one of his calls. Before Coutinho had submitted his transfer request, Henry knew that his scan, taken on Tuesday August 8, for mysterious back strain had returned without obvious signs of injury. He knew as well that two days later a 3pm meeting involving Edwards and Coutinho’s representatives had not gone well at all. Any owner of a well-run football club should also be informed and be able to imagine what might follow when a star player signs a new five year-contract – as Coutinho did in January – but proceeds to only agree a short-term lease on his home, especially when it has already been reported that Barcelona are interested in him.

Those that have dealt with Henry regularly know how he is capable of brain lapses, instances where he has appeared completely engrossed on a subject one moment and unreachable the next. Particularly relating to Liverpool matters, perhaps living on the other side of an ocean while running a business empire where Anfield forms only a part of his thoughts contributes towards the way he approaches things. Perhaps, indeed, this is why Segura found himself isolated very quickly from what seemed a position of promise.

Henry’s distance from Merseyside has not helped in the past because he has not been around to cast judgements for himself. He has instead relied on the opinions of his appointments, which have been bad ones too often – meaning that he has only acted when it has been too late, contributing towards a generally negative impression of his and Fenway’s intentions.

Having decided that Coutinho would stay, he could not afford to back down particularly when the transfer market did not map out exactly the way Liverpool or its febrile supporter base would have wanted in terms of incomings. Fenway have been determined to change Liverpool’s reputation and by not relenting to Coutinho’s wishes, for the time being at least, it sends a message to their own players as well as rivals that this is not a selling club.

Any other outcome would have been received as deception and from then on, it is hard to see how any of the messages coming out of Liverpool would ever be trusted again.

John Henry promised the job to Pep Segura but ego maniac Rodgers  ...out of his depth anyway ... didnt want that to happen.

That someone else could steal his thunder. 

So Henry went back on his word to Segura to make Rodgers happy.

but but but... rodgers was a ''yes'' man
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3292: Sep 04, 2017 09:30:32 am
      One day we'll sign a player who is good and it won't be credited to a tip off from Rafa. Similarly one day something bad will happen and it won't be "all down to Rodgers".

I'm not sure when that day will be, but it WILL happen one day.

??? Not sure this really required another defence of Rodgers by you BigMick. You really do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this don't you, let it go, we have Klopp now, things are better in every single way.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3293: Sep 04, 2017 10:56:03 am
      The inside story of why Liverpool simply couldn't buckle and sell Philippe Coutinho to a man they used to know

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/the-inside-story-of-why-liverpool-simply-couldnt-buckle-and-sell-philippe-coutinho-to-a-man-they-used-to-know/ar-AAr4EzD
      Provided by Independent Print Limited

Five years separates two stories ,involving the same characters; one prevalent in this country, the another not so well known. They are tales that go some way towards explaining why Barcelona were so forceful in their attempt to sign Philippe Coutinho but ultimately, why their attempt will prove not to be quite forceful enough.

It was in July 2012 when Pep Segura, then the technical manager at Liverpool’s academy, ended his three-year association at the club after previously being told by Liverpool’s owner, John W. Henry, he had earned a promotion.

Before Brendan Rodgers became Liverpool's manager, Henry and Segura held a three-hour meeting and it was concluded that Segura would become Liverpool’s new sporting director, filling the administrative space left behind by Damien Comolli’s sacking a few months earlier.

Rodgers, though, had other ideas, insisting his own appointment would not involve another tier of management above him.

For Segura – a decent man, and someone respected inside Liverpool particularly for his contribution towards the development of Raheem Sterling – there was reasonable embarrassment when he arrived at Melwood for the start of pre-season training only to find out then there would be no place for him in the new set-up.

Despite his efforts to contact Henry about his proposed fresh responsibilities, the line of communication had gone stone cold since Rodgers’s arrival. Though he expected that plans had changed, Segura was upset and angry that he had found out this way and so, on that July morning, rather than driving to the academy in Kirkby as he had been told to by Rodgers, he resigned on the spot – though the announcement of his departure was made a month later.

Those who knew Segura best from his time at Liverpool describe him as a professional and so, his hurt was understandable considering he had been treated him without the necessary level of respect. Sources in Catalonia, meanwhile, say Segura has a long memory. Now Barcelona’s general manager having returned to the club where he built his coaching reputation, and as the person overseeing player recruitment, it is told he has viewed the signing of Coutinho as a personal mission.

While Coutinho is seen as a long-term successor for the fading AndrĂ©s Iniesta, the whiplash of his own departure from Liverpool still stings and it is said he would like nothing better than to expose Fenway Sports Group’s collective stance over Coutinho’s future as total mush.

It was a small but significant detail when Fenway released a “definitive” statement earlier this month, outlining that Coutinho would not be sold, this was not a statement released by Liverpool FC but by its ownership group, a statement, indeed, that was not signed off by any person in particular as they often are when something important is announced

Hour-by-hour, day-to-day, week-to-week, Henry does not have much involvement in the decision-making processes at the club and instead, key issues are dealt with by JĂŒrgen Klopp, Michael Edwards, Liverpool’s sporting director, and Mike Gordon, Fenway’s president.

Henry only intervenes when he really needs to and this was one of his calls. Before Coutinho had submitted his transfer request, Henry knew that his scan, taken on Tuesday August 8, for mysterious back strain had returned without obvious signs of injury. He knew as well that two days later a 3pm meeting involving Edwards and Coutinho’s representatives had not gone well at all. Any owner of a well-run football club should also be informed and be able to imagine what might follow when a star player signs a new five year-contract – as Coutinho did in January – but proceeds to only agree a short-term lease on his home, especially when it has already been reported that Barcelona are interested in him.

Those that have dealt with Henry regularly know how he is capable of brain lapses, instances where he has appeared completely engrossed on a subject one moment and unreachable the next. Particularly relating to Liverpool matters, perhaps living on the other side of an ocean while running a business empire where Anfield forms only a part of his thoughts contributes towards the way he approaches things. Perhaps, indeed, this is why Segura found himself isolated very quickly from what seemed a position of promise.

Henry’s distance from Merseyside has not helped in the past because he has not been around to cast judgements for himself. He has instead relied on the opinions of his appointments, which have been bad ones too often – meaning that he has only acted when it has been too late, contributing towards a generally negative impression of his and Fenway’s intentions.

Having decided that Coutinho would stay, he could not afford to back down particularly when the transfer market did not map out exactly the way Liverpool or its febrile supporter base would have wanted in terms of incomings. Fenway have been determined to change Liverpool’s reputation and by not relenting to Coutinho’s wishes, for the time being at least, it sends a message to their own players as well as rivals that this is not a selling club.

Any other outcome would have been received as deception and from then on, it is hard to see how any of the messages coming out of Liverpool would ever be trusted again.

John Henry promised the job to Pep Segura but ego maniac Rodgers  ...out of his depth anyway ... didnt want that to happen.

That someone else could steal his thunder. 

So Henry went back on his word to Segura to make Rodgers happy.

So Henry liked him but Rodgers essentially sacked him and he's bitter towards...Henry?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3294: Sep 04, 2017 11:00:13 am
      ??? Not sure this really required another defence of Rodgers by you BigMick. You really do seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this don't you, let it go, we have Klopp now, things are better in every single way.

Haha no "defence" of Rodgers any more than it's an "attack" on Rafa. I'm simply making the point that people's inability to, (in your words) "let it go" gets a bit boring sometimes.

We've got a brilliant manager now, things are as you say "better in every single way", so let's get behind him and stop waffling on about TPM's.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #3295: Sep 04, 2017 11:03:30 am
      So Henry liked him but Rodgers essentially sacked him and he's bitter towards...Henry?

Yes I'm afraid it doesn't make too much sense, particularly when as someone earlier pointed out, Rodgers was/is a "yes" man.

Of course there is a possibility that all these theories are bollocks and the truth is Barcelona wanted to sign Coutinho because he's quite a good player. Bit far fetched I know, but I thought I'd put it out there nonetheless.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3296: Sep 04, 2017 11:05:13 am
      Of course there is a possibility that all these theories are bollocks and the truth is Barcelona wanted to sign Coutinho because he's quite a good player.

You don't say.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3297: Sep 04, 2017 02:35:18 pm
      Haha no "defence" of Rodgers any more than it's an "attack" on Rafa. I'm simply making the point that people's inability to, (in your words) "let it go" gets a bit boring sometimes.

We've got a brilliant manager now, things are as you say "better in every single way", so let's get behind him and stop waffling on about TPM's.

Fair enough, I really like the shape of the club now, it seems we are finally getting the right people into the right positions.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #3298: Oct 23, 2017 09:01:24 pm
      So Barca are reported to be bidding ÂŁ71m in January. Dream on, what are they smoking over there! Put a 1 in front of the 7 and we may start to listen!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3299: Oct 23, 2017 10:29:05 pm
      We should take 130m if we don't start getting better.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #3300: Oct 30, 2017 09:01:38 am
      With the carry on of some of Barces players towards him going why would he bother?
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #3301: Dec 28, 2017 05:39:50 pm
      Didn't really know where to put this (can of worms and all that) so here it goes. Ever since the news we signed Virgil for big bucks, I have this feeling that Phill will be gone for sure this window since I'm not sure we have that much spending money without selling anyone. It's just not FSG's style to spend so much and not get anything back. That was my first gut feeling and I'm freaking out so any reassurance or calling me crazy, would be welcomed :)
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #3302: Dec 28, 2017 05:51:52 pm
      Didn't really know where to put this (can of worms and all that) so here it goes. Ever since the news we signed Virgil for big bucks, I have this feeling that Phill will be gone for sure this window since I'm not sure we have that much spending money without selling anyone. It's just not FSG's style to spend so much and not get anything back. That was my first gut feeling and I'm freaking out so any reassurance or calling me crazy, would be welcomed :)

Entirely in agreement Kate, the VVD signing and the Keita arrival are mega deals involving a fair amount of wedge, the Coutinho fee is the only solution.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3303: Dec 28, 2017 06:06:56 pm
      Entirely in agreement Kate, the VVD signing and the Keita arrival are mega deals involving a fair amount of wedge, the Coutinho fee is the only solution.

Van Dijk coming in doesn't change the fact we need to keep Coutinho here until the summer. Surely FSG might be thinking Philippe could be worth even more after the world cup!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #3304: Dec 28, 2017 06:34:33 pm

We haven't spent that much in the last 2-3 Windows considering Klopp still has the core of TPM incumbents,
      The number crunchers of these boards will have a more accurate distinction than i have but if i were to hazard a guess i'd say we were pretty well off as far as dollar is concerned,
      We had the money in the summer to acquire the services of VVD it was only JĂŒrgen's tapping up that prevented him coming in, that cost us a extra ÂŁ15m,

We have plenty more imo, enough to stave of the likes of Barca, we don't need to sell Coutinho not this window anyhow, so i expect FSG to dig in further and increase his valuation as the months go by, even beyond the WC, and if Brazil do well i would test Barca's resolve by insisting the pay ÂŁ169m, 1m more than Neymar !

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3305: Dec 28, 2017 06:37:14 pm
      As long as Keita arrives before Coutinho goes it's fine.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3306: Dec 28, 2017 09:11:05 pm

We won’t be selling Phil this window (why would he want to miss out on CL football being cup tied in a World Cup run up?) but I won’t be surprised when he leaves this summer.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3307: Dec 28, 2017 09:15:48 pm
      As long as Keita arrives before Coutinho goes it's fine.

It's not, we are still in CL!!! And I agree with FL Red, we won't be selling him in January, I'd put my house down on it too
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,183 posts | 526 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #3308: Dec 28, 2017 11:26:11 pm
      It's not, we are still in CL!!! And I agree with FL Red, we won't be selling him in January, I'd put my house down on it too

Now this is reassuring mate 😁
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #3309: Dec 29, 2017 12:16:14 am
      I don’t see why FSG would be willing to sell him during the January window. Even if you believe they’re only interested in the money, selling him now stupid since they can get more money from him after the WC with other teams possibly bidding for him.

The only deal I can think of would be one like the Keith’s deal, but not sure if Barcelona would want to risk paying a lot of money for a player that they don’t really need right now as he won’t be able to play for them in CL.

I could be wrong but don’t see FSG sanctioning a deal for him during this window, had they wanted to sell him would have made more sense in the summer window where they could have replaced him with Lemar.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3310: Dec 29, 2017 12:28:49 am
      I agree, Keita arrives in summer and Couts will be gone I think. As long as we get Lazano it will be okay.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #3311: Dec 29, 2017 12:37:36 am
      Got a feeling if we carry on upwards like we are he might even change his mind and stay? Call me mad or anything you want but it’s possible?

Quick Reply