Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 286744 times
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,184 posts | 832 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3588: Jan 03, 2018 08:26:01 pm
      I just find it baffling that our manager still brought a player back into his team who kicked up a big fuss in the summer and said he didn't want to play for him or us again.

Our manager even made him captain and the player has been the main focus and centre of our team this season - Salah has certainly flourished with coutinho playing alongside him.

We have put ourselves in a healthy position middle of the season, we are on course to finish top four again and we have a good shot at the CL too with how the draws have gone.

And now our manager wants that player out Asap? Seems bizarre and very strange to me.

And my opinion alone it feels like FSG want to balance the books right now rather than wait a few months.

Klopp/FSG offered him a new contract

guess what? He turned it down and is adamant that he wants to leave.

This is not about balancing the books, the player wants out then there is nothing we can do about it. As Hsc said Klopp doesn't want players who don't want to play for his team and he prefers to sell now before it affects the dressing room. If we buy a replacement you still think it's ''balancing the books'' ??

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #3589: Jan 03, 2018 08:31:10 pm
      Klopp/FSG offered him a new contract

guess what? He turned it down and is adamant that he wants to leave.

This is not about balancing the books, the player wants out then there is nothing we can do about it. As Hsc said Klopp doesn't want players who don't want to play for his team and he prefers to sell now before it affects the dressing room. If we buy a replacement you still think it's ''balancing the books'' ??

They also offered Suarez a new deal and then sold him a few months later.

It's to put us in an even stronger position when selling - not because they actually want our star asset to stay.

We know coutinho wants to go. He has openly said so. But that doesn't mean we should sell right now. It's idiotic.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #3590: Jan 03, 2018 08:32:57 pm
      Jumping the gun a bit aren't we, but any chance to attack the owners eh.

No. I'm not.

They have a track record of selling our best players and remind me what we've won under their ownership? One league cup?

So excuse me if I'm getting a bit fed up of their bullshit transfer dealings.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #3591: Jan 03, 2018 08:33:10 pm
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport

Link to Express Sport page 3/1/18.

25  articles !       25 F***ing articles ?       They are like hungry piranhas the journos.

25  Count 'em.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #3592: Jan 03, 2018 08:35:16 pm
      They also offered Suarez a new deal and then sold him a few months later.

It's to put us in an even stronger position when selling - not because they actually want our star asset to stay.

We know coutinho wants to go. He has openly said so. But that doesn't mean we should sell right now. It's idiotic.

Agreed. It’s this simple.. we are a weaker team without countiho in the squad.

Selling him in January will 100% negatively impact our current season (which is still on track to be successful)

I’ll be F***ing gutted if he goes this month
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3593: Jan 03, 2018 08:36:05 pm
      Disagree, Coutinho is world class and will become a better player no doubt about that, Lozano is good but nowhere near the level Coutinho is and doubt he'll be as good.
      Coutinho tries to be a midfielder that can't tackle, can't win headers etc... He's got 0 defence. 100 % attack. That's no versatility there, what's he adding in games he disappears in? He's got to be #10 or on wing. Plenty of players will thrive with goals in those positions. Gerrard in his prime could do what Coutinho does now as well put in tackles. He's not on Gerrards level. Coutinho will never be a well rounded midfielder, he's essentially a forward. A great forward at that. They want him to replace Neymar, a forward. If Mane is on form, we'd do better having more strength in midfield and Keita will bring that. We should still add Lemar to our side, he's no Coutinho but Coutinho isn't like Suarez or Torres was here. They were world class. Messi and Ronaldo.. world class... Coutinho is just not on that level.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #3594: Jan 03, 2018 09:39:10 pm
      I’m confused.

Forget Klopp or it is Klopp.....?

🤔

Read the post in context, then it'll make sense.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #3595: Jan 03, 2018 09:49:01 pm
      Read the post in context, then it'll make sense.

You think?

Not so much.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3596: Jan 03, 2018 09:49:11 pm
      I would have a lot of time for Klopp turning up at Nike HQ with a baseball bat full of nails to be honest

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3597: Jan 03, 2018 10:33:01 pm
      Coutinho tries to be a midfielder that can't tackle, can't win headers etc... He's got 0 defence. 100 % attack. That's no versatility there, what's he adding in games he disappears in? He's got to be #10 or on wing. Plenty of players will thrive with goals in those positions. Gerrard in his prime could do what Coutinho does now as well put in tackles. He's not on Gerrards level. Coutinho will never be a well rounded midfielder, he's essentially a forward. A great forward at that. They want him to replace Neymar, a forward. If Mane is on form, we'd do better having more strength in midfield and Keita will bring that. We should still add Lemar to our side, he's no Coutinho but Coutinho isn't like Suarez or Torres was here. They were world class. Messi and Ronaldo.. world class... Coutinho is just not on that level.

I agree on the last bit, he isn't at the level of Suarez or Torres in their primes but the rest of your post is tosh. He has played very well in the 8 shirt when he has been asked to okay there this season and a few games towards the back of last year. And as for his defensive duties, defending isn't just about tackling, it's also about closing space, pressing players, shutting lines and clos No passing lanes. He does his fare share of that. You don't get a game with Klopp if you dont pull your weight in this respect. And let's not overlook his ability at set pieces, this part of his game has developed an enormous amount in the last two years and will leave a big hole to be filled should he go mid-season. There's no point underplaying it, he will be a massive loss when he goes and I will be gutted.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #3598: Jan 03, 2018 10:48:28 pm
      We Should agree the deal now and let him go summer that would keep every party happy. He's no good to Barca as he's CL tied and we need him to get that CL spot and win the CL this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #3599: Jan 03, 2018 10:49:02 pm
      I agree on the last bit, he isn't at the level of Suarez or Torres in their primes but the rest of your post is tosh. He has played very well in the 8 shirt when he has been asked to okay there this season and a few games towards the back of last year. And as for his defensive duties, defending isn't just about tackling, it's also about closing space, pressing players, shutting lines and clos No passing lanes. He does his fare share of that. You don't get a game with Klopp if you dont pull your weight in this respect. And let's not overlook his ability at set pieces, this part of his game has developed an enormous amount in the last two years and will leave a big hole to be filled should he go mid-season. There's no point underplaying it, he will be a massive loss when he goes and I will be gutted.

Hard to admit this but Riba is right, you can get away playing Coutinho in midfield against most of the dross in the EPL.
      However against the better teams like Sevilla, those teams that decide to aggressively press us in midfield Coutinho is a bit of a liability.

His best position is cutting in from the left as a wide forward, he has said so himself that's his fav position.

If Mane finds his form of before he was injured then he is as good if not better than Coutinho as a wide forward.

One thing we would miss is him dropping deep picking up the ball and dribbling with it taking on and commiting defenders. No one else in our team has that ability, oh and obviously smacking it in from 30 yards.

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #3600: Jan 03, 2018 11:06:57 pm

If klopp wants him out now then you have to ask why?

Is he so offended that coutinho doesn't want to play for him or Liverpool? Is he really that stubborn to sell him in January for that reason?

Seems unlikely because we could have easily sold him in the summer but we didn't. Klopp could easily have put him in the reserves until now but he hasn't. Klopp didn't have to make him captain either.

So does klopp think the last few days and coutinhos behaviour will have a negative effect on other players? Is it best getting rid?

Again, I doubt it because we've been doing pretty well this season and photos are released from training every week and they all look to be having a great time, including couts, despite his team mates knowing he doesn't want to be here.

We have gotten results without coutinho in our team in the past but let's be honest, we are a far weaker team and a far weaker squad without him.

It makes zero sense to sell him now. Coutinho knows the league, he knows klopps methods, tactics and what he wants from his players, he knows our players too and their strengths and weaknesses. 

We can't risk bringing somebody in who has no PL experience and will take time to gel under his new manager and with his new teammates.

We just don't have the time.

And who the hell is available, affordable and is eligible to play in all competitions for us to come in as an immediate replacement?!?

I'll be f**king fuming if we sell coutinho this month.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #3601: Jan 03, 2018 11:12:16 pm
      Hard to admit this but Riba is right, you can get away playing Coutinho in midfield against most of the dross in the EPL.
      However against the better teams like Sevilla, those teams that decide to aggressively press us in midfield Coutinho is a bit of a liability.

His best position is cutting in from the left as a wide forward, he has said so himself that's his fav position.

If Mane finds his form of before he was injured then he is as good if not better than Coutinho as a wide forward.

One thing we would miss is him dropping deep picking up the ball and dribbling with it taking on and commiting defenders. No one else in our team has that ability, oh and obviously smacking it in from 30 yards.

To be honest mate whether h plays in the 8 shirt or as an inside left he ends up occupying the same positions for much of the game. I actually Barca are looking at him as a replacement for Iniesta in the middle of the park and that he would alternate between the two positions much like he has done for us this season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #3602: Jan 03, 2018 11:13:36 pm
      Can't we just give them Emre Can instead? He obviously has no intention of sticking around.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #3603: Jan 03, 2018 11:18:19 pm
      To be honest mate whether h plays in the 8 shirt or as an inside left he ends up occupying the same positions for much of the game. I actually Barca are looking at him as a replacement for Iniesta in the middle of the park and that he would alternate between the two positions much like he has done for us this season.

Not sure about that mate I reckon he is a replacement for Neymar personally.

It would be much easier for him to play in midfield for Barca quite obviously, however that's exactly where opposition teams in the CL have exploited them previously.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #3604: Jan 03, 2018 11:20:20 pm
      If klopp wants him out now then you have to ask why?

Is he so offended that coutinho doesn't want to play for him or Liverpool? Is he really that stubborn to sell him in January for that reason?

Seems unlikely because we could have easily sold him in the summer but we didn't. Klopp could easily have put him in the reserves until now but he hasn't. Klopp didn't have to make him captain either.

So does klopp think the last few days and coutinhos behaviour will have a negative effect on other players? Is it best getting rid?

Again, I doubt it because we've been doing pretty well this season and photos are released from training every week and they all look to be having a great time, including couts, despite his team mates knowing he doesn't want to be here.

We have gotten results without coutinho in our team in the past but let's be honest, we are a far weaker team and a far weaker squad without him.

It makes zero sense to sell him now. Coutinho knows the league, he knows klopps methods, tactics and what he wants from his players, he knows our players too and their strengths and weaknesses. 

We can't risk bringing somebody in who has no PL experience and will take time to gel under his new manager and with his new teammates.

We just don't have the time.

And who the hell is available, affordable and is eligible to play in all competitions for us to come in as an immediate replacement?!?

I'll be f**king fuming if we sell coutinho this month.

Don't worry I'm sure Klopp knows what is best for LFC more than any poster on here.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #3605: Jan 03, 2018 11:21:09 pm

Agree.

I remember saying he was the eventual successor to Iniesta a few years back on here.

Phil is a player I always thought we would lose to Barca but it cannot and should not be this winter.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #3606: Jan 04, 2018 12:24:24 am
      Don't worry I'm sure Klopp knows what is best for LFC more than any poster on here.

So do you think we are a stronger squad without coutinho then?

No? Why don't you go and stick your sarcy comments up your arse then?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #3607: Jan 04, 2018 12:35:24 am
      So do you think we are a stronger squad without coutinho then?

Actually our record without him is better than with. 8-1-1 or something maybe?
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #3608: Jan 04, 2018 12:42:40 am
      Actually our record without him is better than with. 8-1-1 or something maybe?

We won 5 and drew 1 or something like that when Suarez was banned.

Where we a better team without him too?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #3609: Jan 04, 2018 12:52:51 am
      We won 5 and drew 1 or something like that when Suarez was banned.

Where we a better team without him too?

That has nothing to do with this. I'm talking about this team and these players. Deflect if you wish or you can just address the point.

In fact, I would suggest that Phil hasn't really had a "great" season like people think. Laid it out in another post but he's basically played how a top player should, but he hasn't in any way played like a 130m player.

Now Salah.....there's a 130m player...just don't tell Madrid that.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,410 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #3610: Jan 04, 2018 12:58:48 am
      Lemar for 90m  :f_doh: Lozano can be wrapped up for half that.

Are you lozano's agent or got some mexican drug cartel after you ?

Quick Reply