Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Should LFC sell Coutinho to Barcelona in this transfer window?

Yes, sell now, leaves now.
      (20.4%)
      Yes, sell now,go in the summer
      (59.2%)
      No, he stays, what ever.
      (20.4%)

Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)

Read 283906 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Philippe Coutinho (Barcelona)
      Reply #3841: Jan 06, 2018 12:12:11 am

But why now? It makes no sense. Cou couldn't play CL, we wouldn't have him in CL. We wouldn't have him in our race for CL-Quali, Barca doesn't need him they are cruising. No F***ing idea why now and not selling him with effect after the season like Leipzig did with Keita. It's a riddle. Do we need the money that desperate that Barca could pressure us not to buy Phil in the summer?

Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #3842: Jan 06, 2018 01:09:24 am
      Coutinho offers little in defence though. Whatever he created can be offset by goals conceeded. Not blaming him for anything, but with Coutinho maybe today is 3-2 i instead of 2-1. He's a bit on the small side and never puts a challenge in. I think we'd do better with a bit of an all rounded player like Gerrard was.

This is the biggest load of bollocks. Coutinho works his socks off constantly and puts a lot of pressure high up the pitch to turn the ball over, even if he is only 4ft tall.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #3843: Jan 06, 2018 01:10:49 am
      I don't get why Phil would want to leave in Jan. He has a chance to compete in the knockout stages of the champions league - something he has worked towards for the last 5 years at the club.

Because he'll get a league winners medal in 4 months if he leaves.  Certainly won't get one here this season.  Also, the weather, the food, the culture, the language, and the chance to play alongside arguably the best player of all time....
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3844: Jan 06, 2018 01:24:36 am
      Because he'll get a league winners medal in 4 months if he leaves.  Certainly won't get one here this season.  Also, the weather, the food, the culture, the language, and the chance to play alongside arguably the best player of all time....

Also will be getting a CL medal for half a season's shift :(
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #3845: Jan 06, 2018 04:25:31 am
      Also will be getting a CL medal for half a season's shift :(

He's Cup tied though, so he won't get sh*t. That and the fact we will win the CL and beat them cu*ts in the Final.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3846: Jan 06, 2018 04:36:56 am
      Feck Mahrez imho, don't need another winger, reckon we need a younger Modric or a Rakatic or someone like that, creative mid type - would love Rakatic to be part of the deal, but not gonna happen.

Starting to see reports that a deal done:
      Liverpool will receive a fee of £142million
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/900747/Philippe-Coutinho-Liverpool-Barcelona-fee-agreed-La-Liga-transfer-news-gossip

Don't need another winger? Sure as hell do. What happens when Salah or Mane is injured or needs rested...not to mention I think Mahrez could play the 10....not cup tied either eh?
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #3847: Jan 06, 2018 06:05:01 am
      Mahrez is impressive. I'd have him in the team.  Not really feeling like Lemar is going to be as good. Mahrez is proven quality.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #3848: Jan 06, 2018 07:09:49 am
      Coutinho offers little in defence though.

Mate our defence offers little in defence!
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #3849: Jan 06, 2018 07:39:00 am
      Feck Mahrez imho, don't need another winger, reckon we need a younger Modric or a Rakatic or someone like that, creative mid type - would love Rakatic to be part of the deal, but not gonna happen.

Starting to see reports that a deal done:
      Liverpool will receive a fee of £142million
      https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/900747/Philippe-Coutinho-Liverpool-Barcelona-fee-agreed-La-Liga-transfer-news-gossip

Agree 100% mate that is exactly the type of player we need. Someone of that Ilk who can play in tight spaces, dribble out of trouble with excellent passing ability. Those are the unique qualities that Coutinho brings to the side.  I like Mahrez as a player but he is at his best playing on the right (same as Salah and Mane).
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 07:43:19 am by Scottbot »
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #3850: Jan 06, 2018 10:20:44 am
      Mahrez is impressive. I'd have him in the team.  Not really feeling like Lemar is going to be as good. Mahrez is proven quality.

Proven in the PL being the most important thing for me. I'm a bit torn on it all really but I think we really lacked something last night with Salah and Phil missing.
      That said our midfield seemed pretty toothless.

grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #3851: Jan 06, 2018 01:33:23 pm
      I am dreaming obviously but if Coutinho leaves now and we don’t bring anyone in this window , Klopp throws in young Yann Dhanda and he lights it up ?!?!?! How amazing would that be! Sorta like Rashford did for the scum. His style is very similar to Coutinho and he seems to be involved in a goal in every u-21 game.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3852: Jan 06, 2018 01:35:03 pm
      Don't need another winger? Sure as hell do. What happens when Salah or Mane is injured or needs rested...not to mention I think Mahrez could play the 10....not cup tied either eh?

Mane/Salah/AOC/Lallana and couple of others can all do wings.
      Coutinho imho has been best for us picking the ball up in the middle and making things happen.
      Keita is coming, but we'll be loosing Can.
      Personally wouldn't rush to spend the money, but that's main reason I'd look for a creative mid.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 01:42:02 pm by bmck »
      JJANT
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3853: Jan 06, 2018 01:35:42 pm
      Barca are on a bit of a downward slow tailspin with an aging team, financial issues etc...here we are bringing in VVD, Keita and have a really good squad..I know these Brazilian fellas dream of playing in Spain but honestly with this manager and the quality of players we have and are bringing in LFC is a better proposition right now than Barca.
      I love LFC but really come on be realistic
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #3854: Jan 06, 2018 01:39:05 pm
      Agree 100% mate that is exactly the type of player we need. Someone of that Ilk who can play in tight spaces, dribble out of trouble with excellent passing ability. Those are the unique qualities that Coutinho brings to the side.  I like Mahrez as a player but he is at his best playing on the right (same as Salah and Mane).

Yea, that's what I think we'll miss Cou most for, and his goals/set pieces - so is what we should try and replace with.

I've nothing against Mahrez, and any good player strengthens the team, would just try get a different type of player than him - plus don't want to get fleeced just cause they know we've got money (saw a price of 70mill or something, which seems ridiculous)
      JJANT
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3855: Jan 06, 2018 01:41:09 pm
      I think Phil will only consider staying if something special happens this season that turns his head toward his previous 'wanting to be a club legend' comments.

Barca should be reported but I feel like we're not entirely shutting the door to keep Phil content for his options at the end of the season. The club must still do all they can to keep him though, no bending over like we did for them in the Suarez deal.
      there's nothing special that could happen we could of won the league and he still more than likely would of left so he definitely ain't staying when we have no chance of it and could easily finish the season trophy less the best thing is just to look to the future now
      JJANT
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Re: Re: Philippe Coutinho Player Thread
      Reply #3856: Jan 06, 2018 01:43:00 pm
      What is the point of buying VvD when the club is contemplating selling Coutinho?
      I don’t understand what we would actually gain (other than money) because it doesn’t make the team any stronger it causes more problems that need solving. Like buying a new creative midfielder when we already have a world class one.
      Not the clubs fault though they shouldn't sell in January but coutinho wants to go so that's it can't force him to stay
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #3857: Jan 06, 2018 02:22:30 pm
      Yea, that's what I think we'll miss Cou most for, and his goals/set pieces - so is what we should try and replace with.

I've nothing against Mahrez, and any good player strengthens the team, would just try get a different type of player than him - plus don't want to get fleeced just cause they know we've got money (saw a price of 70mill or something, which seems ridiculous)
      The whole sport has went to sh*t in a monetary sense so doesn’t really seem so ridiculous to me. Half the price of Coutinho for a player that was largely instrumental in his side winning the league title (PFA player of the year to boot). Fair play he has not necesssarily kept that form up but has definitely showed periods of brilliance (particularly this season). I’m thinking he could really flourish surrounded by quality players.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #3858: Jan 06, 2018 02:25:06 pm
      just sell this c**t really...
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #3859: Jan 06, 2018 02:50:24 pm
      Done deal apparently. Can't believe it. I'm usually not one to participate in all the speculation, name calling etc., ... But what an absolute dick move by Coutinho just dropping everything in probably our most important season in a long time. Couldn't even wait 5 more months.

£120m base figure, 40m in add-ons.

Didn't travel with the rest of the squad, he'll supposedly be at the Camp Nou tomorrow for their game against Levante. If anyone fancies watching that game, might catch a glimpse of him in the crowd.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3860: Jan 06, 2018 02:59:59 pm
      Coutinho misses Liverpool trip as Barcelona beckon

Paul Joyce
      January 6 2018, 12:00pm, The Times

Coutinho, who missed Liverpool’s most recent match against Everton, has been the subject of multiple big-money bids from Spanish giants Barcelona

Philippe Coutinho has opted out of a Liverpool trip to Dubai as he looks to push through a £142m move to Barcelona.

The Brazilian remained behind as his teammates headed to the United Arab Emirates for a mini-break after their FA Cup third round win over Everton on Friday night.

Liverpool are continuing to make exhaustive attempts to persuade Coutinho to put off move to the Nou Camp until the summer, including pay hikes and other incentives, but so far the 25-year-old has resisted those overtures.

Coutinho – who missed the 2-1 victory over Everton with a thigh injury - remains intent on flying out to Barcelona at the earliest opportunity and there has been contact between the clubs, via the player’s representatives.

Barcelona are proposing a package of £142m, of which around £36m would be made up of realistic add-ons, and are determined to sign Coutinho now rather than wait until the end of the season even though he is ineligible for the Champions League.

Throughout the latest instalment of a saga which began last August when the Catalan club had three different bids rejected, the last of which was for £118m, Liverpool have refused to comment.

Their failure to reaffirm their stance from last summer when Coutinho was not for sale at any price is seen as significant and manager Jürgen Klopp said there was no update on the situation after the latest win over neighbours Everton.

Should Barcelona finally land their man, it would be the third biggest transfer in the world.

Neymar is the world’s most expensive player at £198m and his Paris St Germain team-mate, Kylian Mbappe, will become the second when his loan move turns into a permanent £166m deal at the end of the season.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3861: Jan 06, 2018 03:07:53 pm
      2 things that are absolutely wrong about this; Selling during mid-season after the sh*t we went through in the Summer to keep him, and secondly, not buying a replacement first before offloading the c**t. Just doesn't sense....unless they see VVD as the replacement?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #3862: Jan 06, 2018 03:10:35 pm
      Rumours have it that he has taken a cut in his salary to help pay for the move too... ;D.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #3863: Jan 06, 2018 03:14:06 pm
      2 things that are absolutely wrong about this; Selling during mid-season after the sh*t we went through in the Summer to keep him, and secondly, not buying a replacement first before offloading the c**t. Just doesn't sense....unless they see VVD as the replacement?

I know mate I'm struggling to get my head around it. There's a few in there that go with the old adage of not keeping a player who doesn't want to be here but what was the point of standing firm in the summer and selling the lad on the back of his most impressive and consistent spell in the 5 years he's been here. Makes no sense from a football perspective. If we sell him and then fail to make seasons champions league serious questions will rightly be asked. Playing with fire here.

Quick Reply