Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 224200 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,241 posts | 3495 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #1150: Nov 07, 2021 07:29:59 pm
      Did nothing to suggest getting picked ahead of Kostas.

Apart from put the ball on the plate for Mane who missed from point blank range
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1151: Nov 07, 2021 07:46:38 pm
      Testament to how good Robbo is that people calling for him to be benched after today. The good news is if Koop decided to bench him, Kostas is more than capable of filling in.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #1152: Nov 07, 2021 07:47:40 pm
      Not his best game but certainly not the biggest problem we’ve got currently.

Do think Kostas deserves a start against Arsenal though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1153: Nov 07, 2021 08:34:29 pm
      Did nothing to suggest getting picked ahead of Kostas.

Agree.

We can't play players in reputation for too long when we have credible replacements banging on the door
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1154: Nov 07, 2021 08:35:33 pm

One quality ball hardly covers the extremely poor form otherwise.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1155: Nov 07, 2021 08:37:52 pm
      Don't think Robbo has been that bad, the man is quality, but form goes up and down and credit to Kostas, he's really done well when given a chance, uses the ball well going forward and has really good set piece, maybe things Robbo is struggling just a little bit with lately.
      Tough choice for Jürgen for the next PL match.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1156: Nov 07, 2021 08:39:59 pm
      He was our defence along with Virgil.

Thoroughly decent game - don't get the current attitude towards him.

Trent scored but was a liability defensively - at fault at least in part for 2nd and 3rd goals but he never gets criticised....

If Kostas is picked I hope he knocks it out the park.....but he needs to up his game massively to get to this fellas level.....the odd decent cross does not a Klopp fb make......
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #1157: Nov 07, 2021 08:47:50 pm

Trent scored but was a liability defensively - at fault at least in part for 2nd and 3rd goals but he never gets criticised....

If Kostas is picked I hope he knocks it out the park.....but he needs to up his game massively to get to this fellas level.....the odd decent cross does not a Klopp fb make......
      [/quote
      Robbo wasn the problem it was a wierd game with Ali all over the place and the REf had his head up his arse. We are well placed but definitely need to look at the squad honestly .UTD can afford Pogba on the bench a £100 mil player we often have James Milner. No good blaming Robbo

Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,241 posts | 3495 
      Reply #1158: Nov 07, 2021 08:51:31 pm
      One quality ball hardly covers the extremely poor form otherwise.

Whilst his delivery was the greatest ( also played some great pull backs early doors )

He was solid at the back
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1159: Nov 08, 2021 09:16:57 am

I think some miss the point here and get very protective of Robbo

Robbo gets up and down but majority of his crosses are gash, dont beat first man or are overhit, corners to. He rarely takes a man on to create anything different. Tsimikas at least does that, he brings a different attacking dimension to Robbi, one which could have helped yesterday.

While nobody, at least I hope nobody, is hinting at Robbo being done or being a lesser player then Kostas I do get the impression our love for him builr up over the last few seasons of swashbuckling play blinds people to how off his game he is at the moment
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #1160: Nov 08, 2021 09:32:25 am

Robbo gets up and down but majority of his crosses are gash, dont beat first man or are overhit, corners to. He rarely takes a man on to create anything different. Tsimikas at least does that, he brings a different attacking dimension to Robbi, one which could have helped yesterday.

While nobody, at least I hope nobody, is hinting at Robbo being done or being a lesser player then Kostas I do get the impression our love for him builr up over the last few seasons of swashbuckling play blinds people to how off his game he is at the moment

All opinions B......I just think its more than a final ball he brings to the team.

Still be my pick even if his crossing is ropey at mo.

There are other players I'd change first. TAA is the other extreme - sublime ball, absolute liability defensively this season- ......but end of the day if the big man makes that call then I back him all day.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1161: Nov 08, 2021 01:59:58 pm

I'll be honest, I really didn't see how Robbo was at fault much during the game. Early on he put a few dangerous crosses across the box...no one there to get on them. That's not his fault if he's doing what he's being told.

Defensively they were trying to take advantage of the space left behind Trent and it's very odd that Trent was so far out of position, it's almost like Klopp was playing him as a 4th midfielder and maybe one of the other midfielders (Hendo?) was supposed to cover him so he could blast forward. He really wasn't even playing that wide yesterday, he was cutting right into the middle most times. So he was either told to do that or he was way off the reservation with regards to his assignment/role.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #1162: Nov 08, 2021 03:25:42 pm
      I'll be honest, I really didn't see how Robbo was at fault much during the game. Early on he put a few dangerous crosses across the box...no one there to get on them. That's not his fault if he's doing what he's being told.

I dont think anyone is saying Robbo is to blame in any way shape or form for the loss. Think people are calling him out for being essentially ineffective. Hes not beating men ir playing one twos its all just crash bang wallop crosses that arent causing any problems He never cuts inside, essentially easy to read for the opposition.

You may be right regarding folliwing instruction but where does common sense or game management come into it? If you tell me to whip crosses is in first time, or where to put my crosses, when I look and see nothing in there do I still just cross because I was told even though I know nothing can come from it because I can see nobody is in the arsa im putting it
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,288 posts | 937 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1163: Nov 08, 2021 04:13:16 pm
      Robbo has lost his form first half cross after cross never got passed the first defender. Another poor performance ok he has never had a rest but the performances are shocking
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #1164: Nov 08, 2021 04:32:41 pm

Not much else though, the rest of his crossing and balls into the box were F***ing crap, that's what fans are seeing. Me too. Kostas ' crossing is far better than anything Robbo produces.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #1165: Nov 08, 2021 10:01:32 pm

Exactly how I see it.

He's been class, still is class but on form doesn't warrant being first choice with no questions.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,238 posts | 1111 
      Reply #1166: Nov 09, 2021 04:21:52 pm

Great post Brian. I think Kostas has earned a chance in some Prem games based on his play this season. There is a chance for this to happen and still give Robbo a run too. With clinching the the CL group I think Robbo can get some time in those games to iron out some kinks and try and force his way back in.

I'm the leader of the Robbo fan club, but we need to recognize both guys form and let the play speak for itself. Something tells me Robbo won't take this laying down. Competition for spots is great, and sometimes up's the play of both players. Wish we had more guys like Kostas rising to this type of challenge. Hopefully Robbo does aswell
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #1167: Nov 10, 2021 01:58:12 am
      James Pearce in The Athletic on Robbo: "Out of eight crosses in Sunday’s match, Robertson picked out a team-mate with just one of them. On two occasions, his wayward distribution triggered dangerous West Ham counter-attacks. He has just one Premier League assist to his name this season. Confidence levels have clearly been dented."
      waltonl4
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 37,693 posts | 7160 
      Reply #1168: Nov 10, 2021 12:31:51 pm
      James Pearce in The Athletic on Robbo: "Out of eight crosses in Sunday’s match, Robertson picked out a team-mate with just one of them. On two occasions, his wayward distribution triggered dangerous West Ham counter-attacks. He has just one Premier League assist to his name this season. Confidence levels have clearly been dented."

add that to Ox losing the ball into double figures no wonder we got beat. I think Andy needs a good break he has played lots of football including being Capt of Scotland the lad has a lot on his plate
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1169: Nov 10, 2021 12:38:41 pm

Like the great poet Rob Base once said "It takes two to make a cross go right". (I'm paraphrasing a bit).

Early on at least, he had a few nice pullback crosses into the box and there was no one there. Now maybe those were really wayward crosses, but even the commentators on the game I was watching were a bit puzzled why no one was trying to get into the box for those passes.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,362 posts | 2877 
      Reply #1170: Nov 10, 2021 01:43:36 pm
      Like the great poet Rob Base once said "It takes two to make a cross go right". (I'm paraphrasing a bit).

Early on at least, he had a few nice pullback crosses into the box and there was no one there. Now maybe those were really wayward crosses, but even the commentators on the game I was watching were a bit puzzled why no one was trying to get into the box for those passes.

Again though why put them in if nobody is in there? Is he not looking? Is he programmed to cross and dont think outside that programming?

Its fine to say great cross pity nobody is on the end of it but that to me is crossing for the sake of crossing.

Be interested to get the view of some of our Scots to see is he the same with Scotland or does he cut inside with the ball or take a man on, hold the ball up more etc
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #1171: Nov 10, 2021 05:01:24 pm
      Again though why put them in if nobody is in there? Is he not looking? Is he programmed to cross and dont think outside that programming?

Its fine to say great cross pity nobody is on the end of it but that to me is crossing for the sake of crossing.

Be interested to get the view of some of our Scots to see is he the same with Scotland or does he cut inside with the ball or take a man on, hold the ball up more etc

I don't know Brian, but on at least the first couple he sure looked pissed off that there was no one on there to even try to get on the end of them. I mean that's what Andy does....he gets wide and then whips crosses in. Seems like at least initially he was doing his normal job. I'm just reluctant to blame much on him that game...we had way bigger issues in midfield than whether Andy Robertson's crosses were a bit wayward.
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,087 posts | 631 
      Reply #1172: Nov 10, 2021 05:55:40 pm

Good point.

For some perspective, we have to remember how much modern teams are drilled (and even more so with Jürgen). Players will often pass the ball without looking, towards an area where a teammate is expected to be.
      This speeds up the play, but it also means you might end up passing the ball into an empty area and looking like a fool if your teammate doesn't make the expected run.

Quick Reply