Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 211567 times
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #92: Aug 03, 2017 06:14:47 am
      Was my first chance at watching Robertson, I thought he did fine, some of his crosses were dangerous, which apart from Moreno yesterday is a new thing for us to see from the left. They also didn't hit the first man.

He also tracked his man without looking completely fu**ed by the time the attacker attempted a cross. He didn't drag his man back out of desperation and he certainly didn't leave an acre of space on that side for a simple cross to be played across our 6 yard box.

If you wanted a contrast in the position between two players you could do a lot worse than watch this match again.

Milner looks finished, perhaps he's just fatigued from tough training and he was floundering out there rather than being completely shot. I think that last year took a real toll on him though, he's not played a full season for a long time and full-back is now probably the most demanding role on the pitch. Not because you have to cover the most distance but you have less choice when you have to sprint/put effort in, so you can't make your movement efficient and get the most out of yourself, you have to be up and down constantly. Tracking that runner in the moment or breaking in the moment and I think Milner has just hit a wall, thought he did for much of the latter half of last season and he looks no better now.

I'd start Robertson or Moreno, I'd even go as far as to say against the better teams I'd start TAA on the right and Clyne on the left if we need defensive strength.

Just mic drop and walk away. Awesome breakdown homie
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #93: Aug 03, 2017 08:55:12 am
      Think some of you are doing Milner a disservice saying "he's finished" and "doesn't add anything at LB". He's an experienced player who did a fine job at LB despite the drawbacks of being a right footer playing there. He's got experience and game intelligence that is extremely useful in a position which gets a lot of the ball. Obviously he doesn't have much in the way of pace though.

I think it's wrong to judge him on a pre-season game, one in which he's just returned having not played since Hong Kong. Of course he might looked fatigued and off the pace, he probably is behind the others in terms of his fitness.

I too hope Robertson gets into the first XI and makes the place his own by the end of the season as I think it's better to have a left footed player out there, but don't take anything away from Milner and his performances last season, because as AZ said clearly they were good enough to convince Klopp he's going to continue as his starting LB for the moment.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #94: Aug 03, 2017 12:31:38 pm
      If Klopp does not have Robertson as the number one starter at LB then I will be utterly bewildered. Actually if Moreno can play the same as he did against Bayern on a regular basis then Milner goes down to 3rd place or a midfield bench warmer/utility player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,949 posts | 8458 
      Reply #95: Aug 03, 2017 01:07:19 pm
      Think some of you are doing Milner a disservice saying "he's finished" and "doesn't add anything at LB". He's an experienced player who did a fine job at LB despite the drawbacks of being a right footer playing there. He's got experience and game intelligence that is extremely useful in a position which gets a lot of the ball. Obviously he doesn't have much in the way of pace though.

I think it's wrong to judge him on a pre-season game, one in which he's just returned having not played since Hong Kong. Of course he might looked fatigued and off the pace, he probably is behind the others in terms of his fitness.

I too hope Robertson gets into the first XI and makes the place his own by the end of the season as I think it's better to have a left footed player out there, but don't take anything away from Milner and his performances last season, because as AZ said clearly they were good enough to convince Klopp he's going to continue as his starting LB for the moment.

Don't think it's a case of doing Milner a disservice as just looking at what makes the team stronger, I really appreciated the role Milner played in the team last season, but there a few times he was caught and blowing out of his arse when trying to catch players who had a little bit more speed.

I think everyone after seeing Robertson would like to see him get a few more games at left-back to show what he can do.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #96: Aug 03, 2017 02:47:17 pm

I'm judging Milner on his history of playing LB, not on one pre-season game.

If Robertson isn't the starter, something's wrong.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #97: Aug 03, 2017 05:07:33 pm

Yeah, I agree.

Milner is proven as a decent if unspectacular LB for us now. I haven't seen enough of Robertson to decide whether he is good enough to be a starter or not, but I suspect he is another of our hopeful punts on a bargain up and comer. Personally I'd have liked us to be a bit more ambitious with our LB target, but Robertson may turn out to be a good player. I'd still bet that Milner starts more game for us this season than Robertson though.

As for Moreno, think that was Jürgen putting him in the shop window. He had a very good game against Bayern, so hopefully somebody comes in for him.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #98: Aug 04, 2017 04:11:44 pm
      Milner will be our LB in the big games I have no doubt.

I'm not so sure. Possibly at the start of the season but I'll bet by season end it's Robertson.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #99: Aug 11, 2017 01:46:14 am
      Want him to start the season at left back and be given the chance to grow into the role.
      Could be the bargain signing of the season. Could potentially give us the solidity at the left back position that we have lacked for a long long time.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #100: Aug 16, 2017 07:51:19 am
      Is he injured?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #101: Aug 16, 2017 07:54:37 am

Not sure what's the score mate - initially thought might be because his Mrs is due any moment BUT he was in squad.....

Watched a lot of this kid and can't believe he wouldn't have been a significant upgrade on Bertie last night.

Conventional wisdom seems to have it that Jürgen going with one of him or Bertie with Millie on the bench as cover there and in middle.......for now.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #102: Aug 16, 2017 07:59:34 am
      Not sure what's the score mate - initially thought might be because his Mrs is due any moment BUT he was in squad.....

Watched a lot of this kid and can't believe he wouldn't have been a significant upgrade on Bertie last night.

Conventional wisdom seems to have it that Jürgen going with one of him or Bertie with Millie on the bench as cover there and in middle.......for now.

I hope its because his wifes expecting. Hes a very good full back we dont need his confidence drained by being left out of squads especially  when people in his position arent setting the world alight
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #103: Aug 16, 2017 08:44:31 am
      It's a real head scratcher isn't it. The left back position as a whole. Moreno couldn't be a game for love nor money last season, was seemingly on his way out (to the relief of fans blood pressure all over the land). We sign Robertson who appears to be a Klopp signing. Milner is suddenly reborn/reclassified as a midfielder in the penultimate game of pre-season and  ow Robertso can't get himself into the match day squad let alone the bench. I've got a feeling he will play at the weekend though.
      Kopite78
      Reply #104: Aug 16, 2017 10:07:30 am
      It's a real head scratcher isn't it. The left back position as a whole. Moreno couldn't be a game for love nor money last season, was seemingly on his way out (to the relief of fans blood pressure all over the land). We sign Robertson who appears to be a Klopp signing. Milner is suddenly reborn/reclassified as a midfielder in the penultimate game of pre-season and  ow Robertso can't get himself into the match day squad let alone the bench. I've got a feeling he will play at the weekend though.

Moreno one is a bit strange... He just doesn't have a tactical game, last night trying to close the keeper down which led to the penalty because He was so far out of position. As much as Lovren was a disaster I'd have had Moreno against the wall for his part leading to the pen.
      Someone said yesterday Robertson didn't travel as his wife went into labour?
      I think he also needs some time to learn what we expect as playing for us is far different to playing for Hull in a relegation battle.

My little bit on Milner  (as I expected him to start last night at lb) is that Klopp needs an option for midfield and Milner is that right  now with Lallana injured, The no.10 being a c**t and no new player coming in. It's difficult to ask hin to switch from lb to cm in game and I think he's just considering him as a cm option for now
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #105: Aug 19, 2017 02:04:54 pm
      First start today - go on kid show us what a class left back looks like ;)
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #106: Aug 19, 2017 04:56:55 pm
      Excellent debut. What a difference
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #107: Aug 19, 2017 05:02:20 pm
      Excellent debut. What a difference

He looked good, huh fellas?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #108: Aug 19, 2017 05:04:17 pm
      Well done kid. Great start.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #109: Aug 19, 2017 05:34:33 pm
      Pencil him in as the starter. My MOTM today.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #110: Aug 19, 2017 05:47:58 pm
      After a comfortable performance like that, makes me wonder; why have we not played him in the first 2 games?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #111: Aug 19, 2017 07:05:23 pm
      After a comfortable performance like that, makes me wonder; why have we not played him in the first 2 games?

Manager said he was getting up to speed with how we play and what is expected.

Seems that he got up to speed pretty well.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #112: Aug 20, 2017 12:33:15 am
      Congrats on your Debut Andy.

Keep playing like that and you will quickly become a Fan favourite.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #113: Aug 20, 2017 12:37:52 am
      Very good first game Robertson Carlos! One to be proud of.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #114: Aug 20, 2017 03:39:04 am
      Steady game from the debutant, seems to have a decent left peg and can whip those crosses in.

Quick Reply