Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 211283 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #299: Jan 28, 2018 02:58:48 pm
      Any news on why he didn't start against WBA? Not injured is he?

Probably given a rest & will be straight back in for the Huddersfield game. It was a nap with it being a cup game Klopp was going to start Moreno.

It's not even a fair comparison anymore when trying to decide who's the better left-back.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #300: Jan 28, 2018 03:11:41 pm
      Probably given a rest & will be straight back in for the Huddersfield game. It was a nap with it being a cup game Klopp was going to start Moreno.

It's not even a fair comparison anymore when trying to decide who's the better left-back.

Exactly. I think we have our left back for the next 5+ seasons. I never once thought to say that about Alberto.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #301: Jan 28, 2018 03:18:51 pm

Good. That's a relief there is no injury news.

Personally I wouldn't be starting Alberto in any competition I was looking to win.
      But the most important thing is that JĆ¼rgen now has Robbo as no 1, which hopefully will be confirmed against Huddersfield.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #302: Jan 31, 2018 11:00:13 pm
      Interesting reading the Hull fans comments to this lad on Twitter after he wished Harry Wilson good luck.

Gushing would be an understatement - ā€œkeep ripping it upā€; ā€œshowing the class we knew you hadā€; ā€œplease come backā€ etc etc....

Seems they had no doubt how heā€™d do here (contrary to one fanzine guy widely quoted at the time).
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #303: Feb 05, 2018 01:14:51 am
      Remember when we wondered if he could defend? xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #304: Feb 05, 2018 06:37:39 am
      Funny - our old mate Corballyred has decided that Robbo is his ā€˜protestā€™ gripe.

Ordinary, limited and average amongst other adjectives.

Always like to go against the tide on one or two players Corbs - was never sure whether the particular player in question or his desire to be non-compliant was the root.
      Kopite78
      Reply #305: Feb 05, 2018 07:15:47 am
      Funny - our old mate Corballyred has decided that Robbo is his ā€˜protestā€™ gripe.

Ordinary, limited and average amongst other adjectives.

Always like to go against the tide on one or two players Corbs - was never sure whether the particular player in question or his desire to be non-compliant was the root.

I'll be honest mate, I really like the lad but I thought he was really poor yesterday, especially going forward his balls in the box were sh*te

Like I say really like him but yesterday want his day
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #306: Feb 05, 2018 07:25:12 am
      I'll be honest mate, I really like the lad but I thought he was really poor yesterday, especially going forward his balls in the box were sh*te

Like I say really like him but yesterday want his day

Agree re delivery yesterday mate. To be honest Iā€™d go further and say itā€™s been patchy since City.

Defensively very sound and links well in attack but the delivery mistifies me - itā€™s been an absolute strength for Scotland for last 3-4 years......often the biggest / only threat.

Not sure whether nerves / over thinking or what.

Still our best option by a mile.
      Kopite78
      Reply #307: Feb 05, 2018 07:42:30 am
      Agree re delivery yesterday mate. To be honest Iā€™d go further and say itā€™s been patchy since City.

Defensively very sound and links well in attack but the delivery mistifies me - itā€™s been an absolute strength for Scotland for last 3-4 years......often the biggest / only threat.

Not sure whether nerves / over thinking or what.

Still our best option by a mile.

Maybe getting a bit leggy, played a lot of football in recent weeks and at probably the most intense level he's ever been part of

The expectation of the crowd, the club and his teammates at this level must be mentally draining, even the team mates thing, they are supportive but at this type of level they want and expect every ball to be exactly the right one, in terms of  weight of ball, pace of the ball, choice of the pass.

He looked off it yesterday, but as I said it's only been the last week or two.

I'd still have him over Moreno like don't get me wrong
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #308: Feb 05, 2018 08:21:42 am
      Thought he was our worst player on the pitch besides Ox and Gini. Every time he got hold of the ball he just pumped it up field. Never wanted to hold on to the F***ing ball. Was disappointed in his performance, hope he makes up for it next game.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #309: Feb 06, 2018 11:24:59 am
      Thought he was our worst player on the pitch besides Ox and Gini. Every time he got hold of the ball he just pumped it up field. Never wanted to hold on to the f**king ball. Was disappointed in his performance, hope he makes up for it next game.
      Though TAA on the other side had a considerably poorer game. In the second half, everything was going down his side, Davies had an abundance of space to run in to. Twice he just inexplicably knocked the ball out of the pitch when trying to find a teammate.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #310: Feb 06, 2018 10:06:26 pm
      Though TAA on the other side had a considerably poorer game. In the second half, everything was going down his side, Davies had an abundance of space to run in to. Twice he just inexplicably knocked the ball out of the pitch when trying to find a teammate.

TAA still whipped in that cross that Bobby should have buried so that gets a point for me.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #311: Feb 13, 2018 01:11:32 pm
      As impressed as I've been by Robertson in an attacking sense, and even his determination to win the ball back - I think he was exposed a few times against Southampton as the man at the back defending crosses into the box.

Appreciate he isn't the biggest, but there were a couple of times a ball was floated over and he was just the wrong side of their attacker.

If you are looking at ways to score against Liverpool now you might have less luck with a Virgil van Dijk going through the middle then I can see this being something that will be targeted more often against us from open play.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #312: Feb 13, 2018 01:23:07 pm
      As impressed as I've been by Robertson in an attacking sense, and even his determination to win the ball back - I think he was exposed a few times against Southampton as the man at the back defending crosses into the box.

Appreciate he isn't the biggest, but there were a couple of times a ball was floated over and he was just the wrong side of their attacker.

If you are looking at ways to score against Liverpool now you might have less luck with a Virgil van Dijk going through the middle then I can see this being something that will be targeted more often against us from open play.

I donā€™t think heā€™s the wrong side as such JD because I think (on at least one occasion in Sunday) itā€™s the CBs man.

BUT I do agree he was vulnerable and I think something isnā€™t quite right with all the full-backs positioning / anticipation on crosses.

For me he was getting drawn too far inside - mentioned it to my boys when we were watching. Thatā€™s one of the weaknesses of zonal youā€™re often passing on an unwinnable challenge for a fullback.

He does need to think about his positioning or opponents will target as you say.

Only thing Iā€™m not sure about is whether heā€™s following instructions - to be balanced (hands up) I criticised Moreno for it earlier in season but weā€™ve also seen both Trent and Joe get caught out as well.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #313: Feb 13, 2018 10:54:45 pm
      Klopp needs to keep him in for the rest of the season. He needs to settle on a regular defense and play them the rest of the season. We need this defense to grow together, and the only way that happens in s by playing together. Klopp will knee jerk like he always does when he can argue a game for Moreno. I donā€™t get what he likes about the kid
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #314: Feb 14, 2018 04:39:59 pm
      Klopp will knee jerk like he always does when he can argue a game for Moreno. I donā€™t get what he likes about the kid

Probably the case that Robertson was not ready when he first came in and normal rotation...did not see a bit of knee jerk to be honest.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #315: Feb 14, 2018 05:12:28 pm
      I donā€™t buy the ā€œKloppo doesnā€™t rateā€; ā€œcommittee signingā€ etc.....

Why?

Because he waited a year to get him - we were looking 2016

AND

He signed him. Why bother if he wasnā€™t sure - we were no worse off than last season plus Gomez fit to cover as well.

I think initially he liked the physical assertiveness that Bertie showed pre-season and gave him a run.

Thatā€™s all. As long as he performs heā€™ll get picked unless Klopp feels he wants to try something else / rest and rotation.

Heā€™ll be benched tonight sure as F**k now Iā€™ve said that 🙄
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #316: Feb 14, 2018 05:38:07 pm
      I donā€™t buy the ā€œKloppo doesnā€™t rateā€; ā€œcommittee signingā€ etc.....

Why?

Because he waited a year to get him - we were looking 2016

AND

He signed him. Why bother if he wasnā€™t sure - we were no worse off than last season plus Gomez fit to cover as well.

I think initially he liked the physical assertiveness that Bertie showed pre-season and gave him a run.

Thatā€™s all. As long as he performs heā€™ll get picked unless Klopp feels he wants to try something else / rest and rotation.

Heā€™ll be benched tonight sure as f**k now Iā€™ve said that 🙄

Very true Scotia. At the end of the day it's what he does with the player. What's remarkable with Klopp is that transfer committee or his own player he's making these players work really well for the team. He is saving the transfer committee's arses with his expertise in integrating such players on the training field.

As for Robertson specifically, as BRinthe434 says we will need him for the rest of the season especially now that each game gets bigger and bigger. Moreno cannot be trusted at all and he's shown himself up in big games time and time again. If, incredibly, we found ourselves a game or two away from winning the CL and he was the only left back available I'd sh*t myself because I think he'd just sabotage our efforts akin to him providing the catalyst for our collapse in the Europa League final two years back. Yeah - Robertson's not proven in the big games but I'd much rather take him and two broken legs in a big game over the brainless Moreno who I'd quite happily see sold at any price in the summer.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #317: Feb 15, 2018 01:19:15 am
      His defensive work doesn't get enough credit. Not afraid to kick it out for a corner or a thrown in instead of trying something utterly stupid and nonsensical. It's no surprise that our most shambolic defensive display in recent months was the 3-2 loss to West Brom a couple of weeks back when Moreno was playing left back (and Mignolet in goal).
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #318: Feb 15, 2018 03:00:21 am
      His defensive work doesn't get enough credit. Not afraid to kick it out for a corner or a thrown in instead of trying something utterly stupid and nonsensical. It's no surprise that our most shambolic defensive display in recent months was the 3-2 loss to West Brom a couple of weeks back when Moreno was playing left back (and Mignolet in goal).

He literally is the anti Moreno
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #319: Feb 15, 2018 03:29:12 am
      Pencil him in....not even a question at this point. Moreno is back to backup duty.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #320: Feb 15, 2018 06:08:34 am
      Smashing game last night.

To be 3rd or 4th best in that performance from fullback is pretty impressive.......
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #321: Feb 15, 2018 09:14:29 am
      No nonesence, high energy, good positioning, direct, clean passing, nice crosses, not afraid to have a go, British and a genuinely nice guy.

Whatā€™s there not to like about this boy? Looks the business and slots perfectly into the team.

Quick Reply