Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Andy Robertson Player Thread (D)

Read 215136 times
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,126 posts | 1277 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Re: Andy Robertson Player Thread
      Reply #368: Mar 12, 2018 09:14:01 am
      This boy is a monster, a F***ing animal.

In three years time he will be the best left back in the world, of that i absolutely have no doubt. There are many left backs in the game with his level of skill, can't think of a left back with his level of desire or fight.

His absolute will to destroy reminds me so much of Mascherano.

Keep up the excellent work.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #369: Mar 12, 2018 10:27:55 pm
      yeah I'm very happy with Robertson. I really like the way he often starts off his dribbles by going inside and running at the opposition. Reminds me of Maradona, alright a bit much, but he going to be a very good player for us.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 1077 
      Reply #370: Mar 12, 2018 10:53:37 pm
      I was trying to tell yall in the summer that my boy the Hull fan is wicked smart when it comes to this game and he loved Andy. Said he would blossom under Klopp. I didn’t know anything about Andy, but i knew enough to trust him. If he tells you there are blue berries in your back yard u best go get a bucket.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #371: Mar 17, 2018 08:22:24 pm
      Another sumptuous display.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #372: Mar 17, 2018 08:32:24 pm

Special talent this boy.

It’s that his desire is even greater than his ability that beguiles so.......
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,382 posts | 3392 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #373: Mar 17, 2018 09:05:47 pm
      Not one to go overboard but the only left back i have seen to compare with andy this season has been jordi alba who is probably having his best ever season
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,983 posts | 514 
      Reply #374: Mar 17, 2018 09:21:56 pm
      Total bargain, has solved what has been a problem position for us for years.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #375: Mar 17, 2018 09:44:16 pm
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #376: Mar 17, 2018 10:35:00 pm
      He was basically a direct swap for Kevin Stewart wasn't he? Astounding!
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,398 posts | 1459 
      Reply #377: Mar 17, 2018 10:40:23 pm
      He was basically a direct swap for Kevin Stewart wasn't he? Astounding!
      Basically mate yeah,think we got £8m/£8.5m for Stewart which covered the cost of  Robo going the other way,think we deffo stiffed hull absolute bargain,
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #378: Mar 17, 2018 10:54:33 pm
      Him and salah both players of season for us great players
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,676 posts | 6688 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #379: Mar 17, 2018 11:01:43 pm
      Brilliant display from our Andy. That cross for Salah's goal has been what we have been craving for years. Keep up the great work Andy.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #380: Mar 18, 2018 12:47:47 am
      That cross was sublime. Keep it up young lad!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #381: Mar 18, 2018 09:03:28 am
      My favourite bits weren’t the goal but a) when he had a flaky at Hendo during his mad 5 mins in 1st half and b) when their winger thought he’d got away from him in first half and he then popped round the other side and emerged with the ball.

Pure desire.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,565 posts | 3908 
      Reply #382: Mar 18, 2018 01:14:29 pm
      Love the fact he’s Scottish and the way he handles his interviews. You just know he’s got a long term future here.

Another quality addition, the recruitment since Klopp has come in has been nothing short of sensational
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #383: Mar 18, 2018 11:47:44 pm
      Total bargain, has solved what has been a problem position for us for years.

For decades mate!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #384: Mar 19, 2018 12:16:36 am
      Question:
      I know it’s early in his career but he is the best left back we have had since......?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #385: Mar 19, 2018 12:50:05 am
      Staunton.  It is early but he has the making of being a very good player.  Aurelio was too injury prone.   I didn't think very highly of John Arne Riise.  He was alright under a defensive manager but under an attacking regime, personally I don't think you would get that much more than Moreno. 
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #386: Mar 20, 2018 12:37:25 am
      Absolutely loving this kid!!  I've personally been one of the few supporters of Moreno in the past couple seasons, but Andy is a cut above.  Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a better LB in the whole division.  What a signing!!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #387: Mar 20, 2018 01:29:22 am
      Absolutely loving this kid!!  I've personally been one of the few supporters of Moreno in the past couple seasons, but Andy is a cut above.  Honestly, I'm struggling to think of a better LB in the whole division.  What a signing!!

Damn, I never thought about who the best LB in the league is, now that you mentioned it, I am struggling to think of one better.

Azpilicueta is the only one that comes to mind, but that f**ker doesn't play there anymore!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #388: Mar 20, 2018 03:05:53 am
      Andrew Robertson was standing outside Jürgen Klopp's office, getting his words in order before knocking on the door.

It was mid-October and Robertson had asked Klopp for an audience.

The timing of the meeting was far from ideal — days earlier Liverpool had been skewered by Tottenham at Wembley and the German was still smarting — but there was no turning back. This conversation needed to take place.

Robertson had moved to Anfield from Hull last July but, three months down the line, their £8.5million investment had only played in three of Liverpool's first 15 games; more worrying was the fact that he had been in the matchday squad on just three further occasions. Something needed to change.

There was no anxiety as he waited for Klopp to answer — the only time he had experienced nerves at Liverpool was when he had to sing Sweet Caroline in front of the squad for his initiation — but Robertson knew the importance of what was coming.

'I wasn't ever going in to say, "Why am I not playing?" or "I'm better than him!",' says Robertson, taking up the story.

'It wasn't as if I was going in to rant and rave. I just said, "What can I do to get closer to this team and in your thoughts for a matchday?" So he told me, honestly.

'But he opened the door with open arms and explained what I needed to improve. He also said I needed time.

'He knew it was tough for me. He doesn't like telling you he's made the decision that you're not in his squad. I promise you I felt a lot better coming out than I did going in.

'I came out and thought, "That's it! That's the chat I needed". I knew then what I had to do. I used it as motivation to get better and put the time in training so, when a chance came, I'd be the most prepared I could be to go and take it.'

The transformation since has been extraordinary. He has come in from the shadows and made himself not just Liverpool's first-choice left back but also one of the most popular members of the squad.

The Kop chant his name almost as much as Mohamed Salah's, for whom Robertson assisted in Liverpool's 5-0 romp over Watford on Saturday.

So much he does resonates with the fanbase. His willingness to work is impeccable and it produced one of the moments of the season in the 4-3 beating of Manchester City in January when he hurtled 80 yards, pressing John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and Ederson to win back the ball.

'I got the momentum up and just kept going and going,' he says with a telling smile.

'It's drilled into us in training — you never stop. I feel in the shape of my life and can push myself to the limits.

'That was just a hunger to get the ball back. The game's a wee bit easier when you have the ball, isn't it?'

There is more to it, though, than just football. We meet at Notre Dame Catholic College, a school not far from Anfield. During a community event, one of the issues he is probed on by pupils is the letter he sent to a young Liverpool fan called Alfie Radford.

Robertson was so overwhelmed by the seven-year-old donating his pocket money to support a local foodbank that he wrote him a letter and sent him one of Roberto Firmino's jerseys because 'Nobody wants a left back's shirt!' It was a gesture that rang far and wide.

'When I was writing it, I was just looking to bring a wee bit of fun to it and give him a joke,' he explains.

'It was such a lovely gesture Alfie had made. To have awareness of an issue like that? Foodbanks shouldn't exist because we shouldn't be letting people get hungry.'

Robertson has a broad outlook on life, his views shaped by the path his career has taken. He grew up in a family of Celtic fans in Glasgow with ambitions of starring at Parkhead but, aged 15, he was told he wasn't good enough.

From there, he went to Queen's Park, playing just for travel expenses but it was never a hardship. He was resilient, taking a part-time job in Marks & Spencer to get 'a wee bit of money', and refused to give up on his dream.

'I'd have been 17, just turning 18 when I took that job,' says the now 24-year-old. 'I was still at school. It was Christmas, they were bringing on temporary staff.

'I was one of them. I enjoyed it, to be honest with you! When I look back, that's where I feel it was quite good. I never put pressure on myself.

'I wasn't thinking, "That's football gone"; I was relaxed. People fall out of love with the game when they leave academies. It is incredible, really.

'But I can cope with things. I've never thought to myself, "I'm giving up on this". There's no easy way to the top.'

The last six months have been a case in point. Having listened to Klopp and worked to get his trust, an injury to Albert Moreno in December presented the opening Robertson had been craving but still there were bumps ahead.

Gary Neville named him in a group following a 3-3 draw at Arsenal, saying: 'You can't have those players in those games (against Barcelona and Real Madrid). They've just got to go.'

In Neville's defence, he corrected himself before Liverpool faced Manchester United this month and said Robertson had done better than he had imagined.

'Maybe he hadn't seen me play enough,' Robertson says. 'Maybe he just thought it's a signing from Hull.

'I don't know what his thought process was but it's one man's opinion. If he thought I wasn't good enough, no problem.

'But these are the people I want to try to prove wrong. You want to make your fans and your family proud. But it's the people who doubt you who motivate you more.

'I'm quite good at dealing with it. I was confident in my ability that if I could get a run of big games, I would build on it.'

He's done more than that. Knocking on Klopp's door has given Robertson the opportunity he has always wanted. It's not one he intends to let go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5520039/Liverpools-Andrew-Robertson-never-gave-dream.html
      Redysteady
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #389: Mar 20, 2018 07:30:48 am
       xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      A wee song suggestion from a Scottish red for the outstanding Andrew Robertson. Using a very popular tune in Scotland.

https://youtu.be/oBm-yRiUScA

From the land who who sent us Souness
      Alan Hansen, Steve Nichol
      They blessed us with Bill Shankly
      The greatest of them all
      They sent us our King Kenny
      Gary Mac and Ian St. John
      And now they sent to Liverpool Andrew Robertson

It's not going to reach the KOP but thought I'd share it  :)

Or, I'm sure this has been suggested (simon and garf)

So here's to you Andrew Robertson
      The KOP will love you more than you will know
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,565 posts | 3908 
      Reply #390: Mar 20, 2018 08:28:24 am
      Andrew Robertson was standing outside Jürgen Klopp's office, getting his words in order before knocking on the door.

It was mid-October and Robertson had asked Klopp for an audience.

The timing of the meeting was far from ideal — days earlier Liverpool had been skewered by Tottenham at Wembley and the German was still smarting — but there was no turning back. This conversation needed to take place.

Robertson had moved to Anfield from Hull last July but, three months down the line, their £8.5million investment had only played in three of Liverpool's first 15 games; more worrying was the fact that he had been in the matchday squad on just three further occasions. Something needed to change.

There was no anxiety as he waited for Klopp to answer — the only time he had experienced nerves at Liverpool was when he had to sing Sweet Caroline in front of the squad for his initiation — but Robertson knew the importance of what was coming.

'I wasn't ever going in to say, "Why am I not playing?" or "I'm better than him!",' says Robertson, taking up the story.

'It wasn't as if I was going in to rant and rave. I just said, "What can I do to get closer to this team and in your thoughts for a matchday?" So he told me, honestly.

'But he opened the door with open arms and explained what I needed to improve. He also said I needed time.

'He knew it was tough for me. He doesn't like telling you he's made the decision that you're not in his squad. I promise you I felt a lot better coming out than I did going in.

'I came out and thought, "That's it! That's the chat I needed". I knew then what I had to do. I used it as motivation to get better and put the time in training so, when a chance came, I'd be the most prepared I could be to go and take it.'

The transformation since has been extraordinary. He has come in from the shadows and made himself not just Liverpool's first-choice left back but also one of the most popular members of the squad.

The Kop chant his name almost as much as Mohamed Salah's, for whom Robertson assisted in Liverpool's 5-0 romp over Watford on Saturday.

So much he does resonates with the fanbase. His willingness to work is impeccable and it produced one of the moments of the season in the 4-3 beating of Manchester City in January when he hurtled 80 yards, pressing John Stones, Nicolas Otamendi and Ederson to win back the ball.

'I got the momentum up and just kept going and going,' he says with a telling smile.

'It's drilled into us in training — you never stop. I feel in the shape of my life and can push myself to the limits.

'That was just a hunger to get the ball back. The game's a wee bit easier when you have the ball, isn't it?'

There is more to it, though, than just football. We meet at Notre Dame Catholic College, a school not far from Anfield. During a community event, one of the issues he is probed on by pupils is the letter he sent to a young Liverpool fan called Alfie Radford.

Robertson was so overwhelmed by the seven-year-old donating his pocket money to support a local foodbank that he wrote him a letter and sent him one of Roberto Firmino's jerseys because 'Nobody wants a left back's shirt!' It was a gesture that rang far and wide.

'When I was writing it, I was just looking to bring a wee bit of fun to it and give him a joke,' he explains.

'It was such a lovely gesture Alfie had made. To have awareness of an issue like that? Foodbanks shouldn't exist because we shouldn't be letting people get hungry.'

Robertson has a broad outlook on life, his views shaped by the path his career has taken. He grew up in a family of Celtic fans in Glasgow with ambitions of starring at Parkhead but, aged 15, he was told he wasn't good enough.

From there, he went to Queen's Park, playing just for travel expenses but it was never a hardship. He was resilient, taking a part-time job in Marks & Spencer to get 'a wee bit of money', and refused to give up on his dream.

'I'd have been 17, just turning 18 when I took that job,' says the now 24-year-old. 'I was still at school. It was Christmas, they were bringing on temporary staff.

'I was one of them. I enjoyed it, to be honest with you! When I look back, that's where I feel it was quite good. I never put pressure on myself.

'I wasn't thinking, "That's football gone"; I was relaxed. People fall out of love with the game when they leave academies. It is incredible, really.

'But I can cope with things. I've never thought to myself, "I'm giving up on this". There's no easy way to the top.'

The last six months have been a case in point. Having listened to Klopp and worked to get his trust, an injury to Albert Moreno in December presented the opening Robertson had been craving but still there were bumps ahead.

Gary Neville named him in a group following a 3-3 draw at Arsenal, saying: 'You can't have those players in those games (against Barcelona and Real Madrid). They've just got to go.'

In Neville's defence, he corrected himself before Liverpool faced Manchester United this month and said Robertson had done better than he had imagined.

'Maybe he hadn't seen me play enough,' Robertson says. 'Maybe he just thought it's a signing from Hull.

'I don't know what his thought process was but it's one man's opinion. If he thought I wasn't good enough, no problem.

'But these are the people I want to try to prove wrong. You want to make your fans and your family proud. But it's the people who doubt you who motivate you more.

'I'm quite good at dealing with it. I was confident in my ability that if I could get a run of big games, I would build on it.'

He's done more than that. Knocking on Klopp's door has given Robertson the opportunity he has always wanted. It's not one he intends to let go.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5520039/Liverpools-Andrew-Robertson-never-gave-dream.html

Working at M&S only 5/6 years ago?! What a class act.

Quick Reply