Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Where will LFC finish in 2017-18?

1st
      13 (22.8%)
      2nd
      5 (8.8%)
      3rd
      7 (12.3%)
      4th
      10 (17.5%)
      5th
      8 (14%)
      6th
      12 (21.1%)
      7th-10th
      2 (3.5%)
      Bottom half of the table
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: Aug 26, 2017 07:59:20 am

Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?

Read 7841 times
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Re: Preseason Predictions - Where Will Liverpool Finish in the Premiership?
      Reply #46: Aug 12, 2017 02:31:39 pm
      If the season goes well, we finish 5th. if it goes bad, we'll be 7th or worse. That's reality and the Watford game should have "healed" all dreamers.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #47: Aug 12, 2017 02:36:10 pm
      With that defence and manger not buying l think we fhish 7 maybe cup if were lucky then it other rebuilt job on for next manger
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #48: Aug 12, 2017 08:43:49 pm
      put my money where my mouth is and put 50 quid each way on at 12/1, if we finish 2nd I get 4/1.
      Where the heck did you get place odds like that Al; could you introduce me to your bookie please? 😁

My score quid @ 12/1 [@ 1/4 odds 1,2,3] only pays me 1/1 about my money for a place. 😭😭
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2017 08:49:56 pm by bad boy bubby »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #49: Aug 12, 2017 10:39:57 pm
      We finished fourth with the present squad and we've added three.

Anyhoo.

Every year I'm highly optimistic and say we'll win so in the slight off chance it's my fault I'm going for....

Premier League - 3rd
      Champions League - Win
      League Cup - Win
      Moose Cup - Win

Optimism reigned in, over to you guys.

So because we have added 3 players that means we cant finish lower. Are you serious ?
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #50: Aug 13, 2017 09:03:50 am

4/1 a place is some going.

I got 12s, with 365, quarter the odds a place, which would only pay you 1/1 about your money. [£100 bet £200 return] ... ya jammy git. 😊😎

Fingers crossed. 🍀
      MsGerrard
      Reply #51: Aug 13, 2017 09:32:10 pm
      With that defence and manger not buying l think we fhish 7 maybe cup if were lucky then it other rebuilt job on for next manger

Well your full of the joys of a new season aren't you pal !!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #52: Aug 13, 2017 09:36:31 pm
      Just be honest as fan you can't keep leak in that amount think you going win games
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #53: Aug 13, 2017 09:37:30 pm
      What about sort out defense and midfield then maybe we start win things again
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #54: Aug 13, 2017 09:40:26 pm

We're going to win it this season.  I've waited 28 years, and I haven't given up yet.

I need to believe. That's what it's about at the end of the day, isn't it?  Otherwise what's the point?

Naive?  Maybe.  Foolish?  Probably. 

But my expectations are high, and every man Jack at the club had better share them as far as I'm concerned.  Klopp does.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #55: Aug 13, 2017 10:44:32 pm
      Heart, winning it or challenging....

Head,
      1. Man Utd
      2. Man City
      3. Chelsea
      4. Arsenal
      5. Spurs
      6. Liverpool

We could end up with a weaker squad being in more competitions... this was the market to become challengers, hasn't turned out that way  :(
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #56: Aug 14, 2017 06:53:51 am
      Some of the reactions are a bit knee jerk to the way the seasons started; not ideal, but hardly the end of the world. What will be telling for me is how the team handles the two midweek Champions League qualification games, and the performance levels against Crystal Palace and Arsenal in the league.

The transfer window has also not instilled confidence. Would at the moment say that I do not see the team finishing in the top 4, not with the current team without additions and with the cloud hanging over Coutinho's head.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #57: Aug 14, 2017 09:57:55 am
      When I suggested the teams who finished below us had strengthened (particularly Man Utd) a week or two back, many poured scorn on the idea. Having watched the game yesterday, I think they will not only finish in the top four but will very likely challenge for the title.

Lukaku was an absolute no brainer (despite what some on here claimed) as was/is Matic. That's how you strengthen teams, identify what you want and go get them.

For us, I maintain 4th would be a huge achievement given the relative strength of our squad.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #58: Aug 14, 2017 10:08:51 am
      When I suggested the teams who finished below us had strengthened (particularly Man Utd) a week or two back, many poured scorn on the idea. Having watched the game yesterday, I think they will not only finish in the top four but will very likely challenge for the title.

Lukaku was an absolute no brainer (despite what some on here claimed) as was/is Matic. That's how you strengthen teams, identify what you want and go get them.

For us, I maintain 4th would be a huge achievement given the relative strength of our squad.

Fazakerly Mick,
      Unless new faces are seen before the window closes we'll be lucky to stay within the top 6 never mind 4,
      How or why this hasn't been addressed is beyond me if I'm honest,

There is quality out there, perhaps no 'A' plan quality but quality none the less, even if it's to bolster our numbers we need to strengthen or we can forget winning anything of note!

YNWA
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #59: Aug 14, 2017 10:54:11 am
      6th unless FSG and Klopp get their fingers out.

FSG to get us more players and Klopp to play them in a game and make some sensible substitutions at sensible time.
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #60: Aug 14, 2017 11:55:45 am
      6th unless FSG and Klopp get their fingers out.

FSG to get us more players and Klopp to play them in a game and make some sensible substitutions at sensible time.
      Pretty much where I'm at and I suspect many other reds also.
      If the team stays as it is with no further players coming in then I do think there will be many more results like the game on Saturday,yes I know that Saturday was only the first game of the season but the issues we all seen on Saturday have plagued the reds for a fair few seasons now and it needs sorting out.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #61: Aug 18, 2017 10:12:10 am
      This will be interesting to see come next June. Everyone seems to be predicting that we will crumble if we lose Coutinho and although we didn't have him for some parts of last season through injury and in some games went missing, we still came in 4th. Yes I'm sure we will struggle a little if he does move on but the question will be if he'll be replaced or not. At this point if we keep phil then what we've purchased at this point in the window we have strengthend the squad in certain areas where we needed to but not all. We've brought in Solanke and he looks like a good option and if Sturridge is as fit as they say he is then he would certainly strengthen us. Left back is a positive when Robinson is ready, I wouldn't of expected him to jump straight in unless he had a great pre season, which he didn't. Our current midfield 3 don't look the best at the moment but id expect that to change going through the rest of the season. Our 1st choice CB,s don't look the best and I'm sure Migs would be alot better with better CB,s in front of him and that goes for Karius also.
      So if we lose Phil what do we need to do?a direct replacement will be difficult. A change of formation maybe? We are rumoured with a number of players but nothing will change until we know if Phil stays or goes and I'm sure this will be sorted really soon. Personally I'd don't think we'll get VVD and don't think we should be spending that kind of money that the saints will demand on him. Yes he is a very good player but the £50 to £60 million that would of been expensive, but we would of paid it, has gone out of the window now I think because if Phil goes we will be looking at £80 to £90 million now.
      If Phil goes it's one or the other for me, we either look to replace him, which will be very difficult or we buy VVD....not do both. If we buy VVD then I'd put Firmino as a CAM with 2 CM behind him then go buy a striker or wing/forward.
      Rumours are that Draxler and Howedes could be available. If that's the case then go get them these 2 would do more for our squad then just buying in VVD. With this in mind if we loose Phil and get in the 2 above we are looking at progressing from our 4th place finish. If we loose phil and get nobody in then we'll struggle to get 4th.
      Looking at the squad as it is if Phil stays and gets his head right and no one else comes in then we still look better than last season.
      If it goes the other way then we do look weaker in the midfield area.
      So my predictions are this:
      Without phil and no more signings 6th.
      Without phil and VVD coming in 4th.
      With Phil and no more signings 3rd.
      On the other hand if Phil stays and we did get the other players that we were targeting, Keita and VVD and think we would have been close to the title or maybe even winning it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Aug 18, 2017 10:19:57 am
      Unless we get VVD and Keita, AND keep Coutinho, I think matching last season's league finish will be a fine effort. In the cups much depends on who you draw and where, but in the Champions League getting out of the group ought to be a realistic target.

If we DO get both our main transfer guys AND keep Coutinho, I think we'll give anyone a run until the lack of depth in the squad eventually trips us up. If you could guarantee Sturridge was going to stay fit and that Jürgen would play him fairly regular I'd say we'd have a right go, but ultimately the unlikelyhood of either of those happening and having a centre forward who will probs get a dozen goals or so will find us out.

My guess is we'll get VVD, Sturridge will get injured, we'll keep Phil till Christmas and perhaps get Keita then. Under those circumstances, I think we'll be sixth.

I think you are massively over estimating Spurs and the Chavs and I'm still not 100% convinced about the Arse either. I can see them all having tricky seasons for different reasons whilst I think this will be a season for a lot of our youngsters to start to really shine and break through, plus I think Mane and Salah will forge the league's deadliest attack force, almost impossible to defend against, especially when we get Coutinho back into the team.
      Its far to early to evaluate Manure and Citeh but undoubtedly they will be stronger and will probably be fighting it out for the title but if we can finally have some luck with injuries AND get VVD and Keita (or equivalents) then I think we have an outside chance.

As it stands I'll go for 3rd place, a cup and a good run in the CL possibly QF.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #63: Aug 18, 2017 10:48:46 am
      I think you are massively over estimating Spurs and the Chavs and I'm still not 100% convinced about the Arse either. I can see them all having tricky seasons for different reasons whilst I think this will be a season for a lot of our youngsters to start to really shine and break through, plus I think Mane and Salah will forge the league's deadliest attack force, almost impossible to defend against, especially when we get Coutinho back into the team.
      Its far to early to evaluate Manure and Citeh but undoubtedly they will be stronger and will probably be fighting it out for the title but if we can finally have some luck with injuries AND get VVD and Keita (or equivalents) then I think we have an outside chance.

You know what, I bet most of our rivals aren't convinced about us either - hell, even half the fan base aren't
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #64: Aug 18, 2017 10:50:09 am
      You know what, I bet most of our rivals aren't convinced about us either - hell, even half the fan base aren't

;D, fair point that
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #65: Aug 18, 2017 11:24:58 am

living in Essex working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal, West ham, Spurs and Chelsea... with a side order of Utd too!

…and I know for a fact that no-one fancies us to do anything. And with the Coutinho situation still hanging in the balance no-one don't see’s that changing.

Me? I can’t argue with their opinion. I had big aspirations in May but they've just slipped lower and lower.

Being in the CL I thought we’d have a chance of finishing 4 as well as a QF in the CL… and that was IF we signed big name recruits but we haven’t.

Running with the current squad in both big comps we’ll do well to finish 6th. I see a horrible battle between us and Everton for the 6th spot.

If we buy (and not sell) we could do better… not hopeful from what I’ve seen in 2 games!
      grooveshark
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts | 129 
      Reply #66: Aug 18, 2017 11:32:02 am

Spurs have one of the best defensive teams in the league, and they have been getting better with each passing season under Pochettinno both in the goals scored column, and in the defensive side of things. They also seem to be willing to play their kids in the cups, or bail out of the Europa League should they fall there after the group stages in the Champions League.

They are also adding someone who is considered very good into what was a really good defensive outfit. Do I believe that they will concede only 26 again this season? No! But I can see them conceding 30ish goals, and that would be a fantastic return.

Arsenal? I do not see them losing 9 games as they did last season, and it is likely that they will utilize their squad depth in the Europa League for the most part. This is a team that has also added a really finisher, so if they create for him, they will score more than they did last season. Sanchez is yet to feature for them in attack. Going to three at the back also helped them get a lot better on that end of things; they will also get better in the coming weeks with Koscielny coming back from suspension, Mustafi being fit enough to start, and Mertesacker coming back from injury.

The one team I think might struggle is Chelsea. They are yet to sort out their depth issues and like Liverpool, they now have extra games in the middle of the week.

Onto LFC, Mane and Salah are great, but you cannot go into games thinking that you need to score two or three goals to win because there are issue with the defensive side of things. Only one team in the world has managed to do that, and that was Real Madrid........and they had an insane attack. Couple this to the fact that there is not much quality depth, then the team with a few injuries here and there and you have a crisis.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #67: Aug 18, 2017 12:52:50 pm
      I quite honestly can't see us finishing in a Champions league spot this year, especially if we lose Coutinho. We simply haven't done enough business this Summer to compete. A couple of key injuries and we're already down to the bare bones of a squad before the season has even got going. Get them around December to Janurary, a key time when matches are coming thick and fast and we'll see a repeat of last year.

We have a Center Back who doesn't trust the lad to his left, a Goalkeeper as unpredictable as Trump and nowhere near enough dynamism in midfield. Add to that a system that lends itself to leaking goals and I can't see there being a change. I see us again being the top goal scorers in the league whilst simultaneously being the the leakiest in the top seven. I most certainly do not share Klopp's niave optimism on the strength and depth of this squad.

All that being said, should we get two or three quality additions to key areas of the squad over the next twelve days and should Klopp show more tactical flexibility than he did last season, I can see us challenging for the title. I know this sounds like I'm hedging my bets but it really just comes down to what we do in the market between now and the end of the window. If we don't do business, as unpallatable as the thought of purposefully not trying everything we can to win a trophy is, I think we should take a leaf out of Wenger's book and use the cups as learning experience for the kids whilst the senior players focus on and prioritise the league and Europe. I think we all accept now that without Champions League football, we're not attracting the calibre of player needed to propel us to domestic and european glory.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #68: Aug 19, 2017 09:14:19 am
      Tell you when the windows shut and the Couts fiasco is sorted ,as is 4 or 5th, if we get a few in depending who they are can see us push for No19, Spuds , Chelski , Arsenal dont see them winning it , its the Manky Mancs , Maureen`s got a big powerful unit , City signed some quality, so quality is what we require with the limited time left to kick on and rattle a few cages . 

Quick Reply