Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Hoffenheim?

Simon Mignolet
      19 (15.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      69 (57.5%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.8%)
      Alberto Moreno
      1 (0.8%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      27 (22.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.7%)
      Marko Grujić
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 114

Voting closed: Aug 19, 2017 09:41:03 pm

1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29049 times
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Re: 1899 Hoffenheim 1-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Aug 15, 2017 09:48:17 pm
      Great result, but some individual
      Horror shows of a performance took the shine off it .

Lovren was F***ing awful.

Moreno, though good going forward, positionally awful.

Hendo awful.

Firmino awful.

Thank god we seem to have a star in Trent, and Mane is a class apart going forward.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #599: Aug 15, 2017 09:49:52 pm
      Does away goals count in qualifiers?

Either way really really good result. Halfway there.

Yes
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #600: Aug 15, 2017 09:50:46 pm
      I know I'm being repetitive but I was already a fan of Demirbay before this game, but I thought he was by far their best player tonight as well. Particularly impressed me given the insipid performances from both Emre Can and Gini Wijnaldum. I am starting a rumour right now: Liverpool have registered interest in Demirbay.

I saw somebody mention him last week but had no idea who he was. Thought he was quality tonight.
      lilREDrocket
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 210 posts | 11 
      Reply #601: Aug 15, 2017 09:51:18 pm
      Would have given TAA motm had he not contributed to Hoff goal.

May have been a lousy PK, but still made big saves and had to endure Lovren + Moreno looking as lost as a fart in a hurricane. Migs my MOTM

(Sadio was dangerous all night but needed that end result)
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #602: Aug 15, 2017 09:52:45 pm
      Great win away from home in Europe, just a shame to concede a silly goal.

TAA was superb but at fault for their goal, so gave Mane MOTM as he was fantastic all game and ran himself into the ground.

Lovren though is a F***ing disaster!  I know Klaven gets a lot of stick from fans, but I'd take him over Lovren every day.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #603: Aug 15, 2017 09:53:05 pm
      I'm happy with that result, could have been easier. I think 5-3 would have been a truer reflection on the game to be honest. Some terrible defending by us, truly terrible.

Our front 3 have to be absolutely world class with these defenders in the team. Just get VvD done, go and buy a real LB to start and a Midfielder and we'll be superb, but without them it's going to be like bloody groundhog day watching this team, every single match.

Entertaining sure, but the life expectancy of LFC fans falls every match day at the moment.

Fully agree with this mate, I only got to watch 2nd half (dashed to the pub when the mrs got in from work) but we are a shambles at the back, not helped by our insistence on pressing the ball in ones and twos when we're 2-0 up and 70 minutes have been played. Lovren and Matip got absolutely bullied once again and the two full-backs, one is a green kid learning his trade (he has got a very bright future but he really needs to be growing up playing in a decent defence) and the other is a defensive liability. Something has got to give.

We looked dangerous going forward on the break once again. I gave man of the match to Migs but Mane was the best of our outfield players by a country mile, was surprised to see him Subbed while Salah (who was dead on his feet) stayed on. Milner was a good sub to make and I thought he did well when he came on.

Would have taken 2-1 all day but that goal has given them real hope and this lot are well capable of scoring a couple at Anfield.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #604: Aug 15, 2017 09:55:28 pm
      TAA MOTM and not just because of that beautiful goal. He put in an acmoplished performance, especially when you consider both his age and the fact this was his first European game.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017 10:00:12 pm by 5timesacharm »
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #605: Aug 15, 2017 09:55:59 pm
      Our front 3 is looking good.  The pace and movement of Salah and Mane will cause any team problems, and Firmino has really grown into the #9 role -- his hold up play is exceptional and he has great vision.  Our midfield is where it breaks down...

Last season, I thought Gini was phenomenal.  He was great at finding pockets of space to receive the ball and he recycled possession very quickly.  He read the game well, worked hard in the defensive phase, and popped up in the right place at the right time to score a handful of goals.  This season -- he's been dire...  I know it's only been 2 games, but he needs a kick up the arse! 

Lovren has also been woeful.  I think he's had more bad games than good ones in his time here, which really says it all.  Hopefully the "Future Captain" has his future at another club. 

Moreno -- I've always liked the lad, but he's not exactly doing himself any favors.  Given another chance by the manager, and seemingly throwing it away....  The sooner Robertson is up to speed, the better. 

TAA was brilliant!!  Matip and Migs both solid. 

Good win, but there is much work to be done and we are running out of time...
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,523 posts | 388 
      Reply #606: Aug 15, 2017 09:57:43 pm
      trent was outstanding, but horrific for the goal. absolute schoolboy stuff.

Mane best player on the pitch by a mile...if he stays fit all season......wow .
      Matip had one of his best games for us.
      Midfield poor again.
      could/should have scored many more. thought composure very poor in final third.
      still look like we will concede at any moment tho.

so basically, it was very similar to watford!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Re: Hoffenheim - Liverpool: Live Match Thread (Tue, 15th Aug)
      Reply #607: Aug 15, 2017 09:58:23 pm
      Gonna do my head in this wingers on opposite side lark.

Mane no left foot, Salah no right.

Said the same in the Watford match thread I reckon Salah would score more from the left
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #608: Aug 15, 2017 09:59:11 pm
      I'm even thinking the unthinkable, Sakho, I mean I back the boss but can't they just stare it out or something.... :lmao:

J/k but I can't cope with watching Lovren/Moreno and think in any way that we're doing ourselves justice.

It doesn't seem to matter who you plug into an lfc back four mate, they all seem to end up a nervous wreck. I'm not sure how much gets done on the training ground? I mean, if you asked our side to play compact, rigid defence for 20 minutes, sit deep, simple shape and shuffle stuff, don't give anything away do you think they could do it?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #609: Aug 15, 2017 10:01:04 pm
      Ratings:

Migs: Thought he was incredibly shaky early on, wrong decision to come flying out and they could have had an easy goal early on from a quick throw in. Ridiculous choice but from there on in he improved. Don't give him huge amount of credit for saving the pen as it was one of the worst I've ever seen but he made some crucial stops beyond that and claimed well on occasion. 7

Moreno: Positionally he was all over the place, adds a lot to our attack and unlucky not to get a couple of assists but still lunges in at the back and switches off far too easily. 4

Lovren: Diabolical, possibly his worst performance for us. Those first 15 minutes couldn't have been much worse if he tried and from then on his head wasn't in the game all that first half until the last minute or so when he did do a decent block and had a header just wide. Second half it was much the same, positionally all over the place, arguing while leaving Moreno exposed is unforgivable at this level and with so much on the line. A real weakness when he is in this form. 3

Matip: Thought he did well for most of the game but it must be very hard playing alongside Lovren in that form. Still managed to keep his composure and win most of his duels. Will also share some of the blame with TAA for their goal though. Get a decent player alongside him and he'll look so much better, was covering for his partner all night long. 7

Trent AA: I love this kid, I'm at the point where I know I'm going over the top with praise but I can't help myself. His presence, his stride, technique and decision making are excellent. Sure he was exposed for the goal, but that happens to the best of us with a great pass like that (Lovren was actually playing the player on) but what a free-kick he scored and some beautiful corners. Top notch performance apart from one or two little moments, scary potential. 7.5

Henderson: Thought he had an odd game, because in reality he looked like the only midfielder we had playing for us and for some stages he bossed it, yet others he was also weak. At least he was there and being counted and overall I think he did well but did come off after 60 so just a 6.5

Can: Not good enough, running around at half pace, one moment when Trent beat his man on the right he simply could not be arsed supporting the young lad. Same when Bobby beat his man on the left, Emre just couldn't be bothered. Shocking, went down a long way in my estimation on this performance. You can look like you have potential all you want but if you don't apply yourself it will never be realised. Bitterly disappointed with him there. 3

Gini: Slightly better than Can but sh*t out of about 3 challenges, turning his back on 2 shots and passing the ball straight out just before their goal will go unnoticed by many and they'll be on Trent's back. To say it was slightly better than Can is just because Can tried hard to be sh*te, where I don't think Gini was trying to be sh*te, he was simply sh*te. 3.5

Salah: Most will be on his back for this performance and the miss when clean through, I took encouragement through a lot of his first half play, even the 1v1. However in the second half it looked to me like his confidence dropped, when he lost the ball he'd do that silly little jump on the spot that a petulant child does to express disappointment. That isn't good enough, get your head in the game and play your normal game because you're class lad and overthinking a problem is when it becomes a real problem. 6.5

Firmino: Again I think people will focus on his miss, but what he did other than that was excellent, broke up their play more than our midfielders again, linked midfield to attack better than any of our midfielders and supplied the best service to both our wide men. Should have had an assist but it'll go down as an OG, but must do better with that chance as it could be very costly. 7.5

Mane: World Class player that ran out of steam when he had his best chance. MotM, terrorised them every time he had the ball, should have had a man sent off for a professional foul when there's no way the men closing from the sides would have caught him. Absolutely love him and he's our best player without question. 8.5

Milner: Did very well when he came on, made a real difference and in my opinion is a real candidate to take either Gini's or Can's spot, showed far more than either of them when he was on, well in Milly. 6 (just because he was only on a short time).

Grujic: Silly foul but you can see what he adds, far more physicality, a real threat at their goal, again could easily take Gini or Can's spot in my opinion.

Klopp: Got a result, which was the main thing, a win away in Europe is always a good result but has to sort our CM and left side of our defence or we're in for a season of real frustration because we have so much potential but some ingredients are missing. 7

Well in Redmen, finish the job in the return leg!
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2017 10:10:33 pm by KopiteLuke »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,196 posts | 913 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #610: Aug 15, 2017 10:01:49 pm
      Frustrating another game that should have been closed out
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #611: Aug 15, 2017 10:02:01 pm
      Had to work late so only saw last 30 mins :(
      Won't give a review cause know how some people don't like it if you admit to not having seen the whole match ;)
      But tought at 2-0 we'd go and get another, were playing well. In same breath, can never be surprised to see us leak a goal. And VERY lucky not to leak a 2nd when Grujic had a brain fart, gave away a free kick in bad position, and the lad missed with a header pretty much centre of the goal.

Still, great result :) 2-1 win. They need to score 2 at least. Get into the CL proper and worry about improving performances later.
      Red John
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 390 posts | 127 
      Reply #612: Aug 15, 2017 10:05:33 pm
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2766 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #613: Aug 15, 2017 10:08:19 pm
      Any away win in Europe is a good win
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #614: Aug 15, 2017 10:08:50 pm
      Ratings:

Migs: Thought he was incredibly shaky early on, wrong decision to come flying out and they could have had an easy goal early on from a quick throw in. Ridiculous choice but from there on in he improved. Don't give him huge amount of credit for saving the pen as it was one of the worst I've ever seen but he made some crucial stops beyond that and claimed well on occasion. 7

Moreno: Positionally he was all over the place, adds a lot to our attack and unlucky not to get a couple of assists but still lunges in at the back and switches off far too easily. 4

Lovren: Diabolical, possibly his worst performance for us. Those first 15 minutes couldn't have been much worse if he tried and from then on his head wasn't in the game all that first half until the last minute or so when he did do a decent block and had a header just wide. Second half it was much the same, positionally all over the place, arguing while leaving Moreno exposed is unforgivable at this level and with so much on the line. A real weakness when he is in this form. 3

Trent AA: I love this kid, I'm at the point where I know I'm going over the top with praise but I can't help myself. His presence, his stride, technique and decision making are excellent. Sure he was exposed for the goal, but that happens to the best of us with a great pass like that (Lovren was actually playing the player on) but what a free-kick he scored and some beautiful corners. Top notch performance apart from one or two little moments, scary potential. 7.5

Henderson: Thought he had an odd game, because in reality he looked like the only midfielder we had playing for us and for some stages he bossed it, yet others he was also weak. At least he was there and being counted and overall I think he did well but did come off after 60 so just a 6.5

Can: Not good enough, running around at half pace, one moment when Trent beat his man on the right he simply could not be arsed supporting the young lad. Same when Bobby beat his man on the left, Emre just couldn't be bothered. Shocking, went down a long way in my estimation on this performance. You can look like you have potential all you want but if you don't apply yourself it will never be realised. Bitterly disappointed with him there. 3

Gini: Slightly better than Can but sh*t out of about 3 challenges, turning his back on 2 shots and passing the ball straight out just before their goal will go unnoticed by many and they'll be on Trent's back. To say it was slightly better than Can is just because Can tried hard to be sh*te, where I don't think Gini was trying to be sh*te, he was simply sh*te. 3.5

Salah: Most will be on his back for this performance and the miss when clean through, I took encouragement through a lot of his first half play, even the 1v1. However in the second half it looked to me like his confidence dropped, when he lost the ball he'd do that silly little jump on the spot that a petulant child does to express disappointment. That isn't good enough, get your head in the game and play your normal game because you're class lad and overthinking a problem is when it becomes a real problem. 6.5

Firmino: Again I think people will focus on his miss, but what he did other than that was excellent, broke up their play more than our midfielders again, linked midfield to attack better than any of our midfielders and supplied the best service to both our wide men. Should have had an assist but it'll go down as an OG, but must do better with that chance as it could be very costly. 7.5

Mane: World Class player that ran out of steam when he had his best chance. MotM, terrorised them every time he had the ball, should have had a man sent off for a professional foul when there's no way the men closing from the sides would have caught him. Absolutely love him and he's our best player without question. 8.5

Milner: Did very well when he came on, made a real difference and in my opinion is a real candidate to take either Gini's or Can's spot, showed far more than either of them when he was on, well in Milly. 6 (just because he was only on a short time).

Grujic: Silly foul but you can see what he adds, far more physicality, a real threat at their goal, again could easily take Gini or Can's spot in my opinion.

Klopp: Got a result, which was the main thing, a win away in Europe is always a good result but has to sort our CM and left side of our defence or we're in for a season of real frustration because we have so much potential but some ingredients are missing. 7

Agree with all except I thought Hendo/Can/Gini as a trio should all be rated in the same range and I'd say it's about 3-4 for each. Think our midfield is a sh*t show with those three in it and I think Robertson deserves a go just to see if he can alleviate some of those issues that we're seeing on the Lovren-Moreno half of the backline.

Also, Matip's presence deserved more than to be left out altogether.  ;)
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,121 posts | 126 
      Reply #615: Aug 15, 2017 10:10:46 pm
      If this thing with couts continues, we need to bring Bobby into his position, 'cause he is looking like the only player with the vision at the mo.
      But well played boys, good win, but should have been better.
      MOM  TAA, apart from his brain fart, played great.
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #616: Aug 15, 2017 10:10:47 pm
      Ratings:

Good post mate, you missed out Matip! Someone in a post above thought he had his best game for us, I thought he was pretty poor and didn't win a thing against their lads up front.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #617: Aug 15, 2017 10:11:07 pm
      Also, Matip's presence deserved more than to be left out altogether.

Yep, just chucked him in now mate, was too excited to get to Trent's :D
      Scottbot

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #618: Aug 15, 2017 10:13:43 pm
      Good post mate, you missed out Matip! Someone in a post above thought he had his best game for us, I thought he was pretty poor and didn't win a thing against their lads up front.

Read it again, I'm an idiot.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #619: Aug 15, 2017 10:14:29 pm
      Glad we won, think we had glorious chances to put this tie to bed. Nice goal by TAA, however he was at fault for their goal.

They killed us for possession and cut us open on far too many occasions.

Hopefully we can get the first goal next week and sail through.

Oh and our defending is gonna send me to a early grave
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #620: Aug 15, 2017 10:16:25 pm
      Very good going forward but mild field god very poor need buy good mild fielder that can control game and score goals and get past players Jordon and can both poor players

Quick Reply