Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Palace?

Simon Mignolet
      1 (0.9%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.9%)
      Joel Matip
      13 (11.5%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (0.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      55 (48.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      1 (0.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      34 (30.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.8%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (1.8%)
      Dominic Solanke
      2 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Voting closed: Aug 23, 2017 04:54:12 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23803 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Crystal Palace: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #345: Aug 19, 2017 09:47:03 pm
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #346: Aug 19, 2017 09:47:50 pm
      Huge let off with the Benteke miss. Think had he scored then it would have hit the team hard and we'd have gone on for a draw if we were lucky. But, fortune favoured us, we took one of our chances and got the win.

The midfield is still a huge cause for concern though.

Yea, big miss from Bumteke.
      We missed a few chances too tho, Matip has to score with that header when their keeper misjudged a cross in the 1st half. Urk.
      We weren't great imo...but we've been worse.  Great to get the 3 points, but wouldn't give me much confidence for the games ahead.
      Particularly for the period of the season where we will be (hopefully) balancing CL, with PL and Cups. First half hurt my eyes.
      Surely to God we will bring in some more bodies before this anti-climax of a window closes...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #347: Aug 19, 2017 09:51:16 pm
      Something about winning 1-0 without the best performance is encouraging. In prior years we would have blown this game.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #348: Aug 19, 2017 10:04:18 pm
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #349: Aug 19, 2017 11:31:54 pm
      Lots of positives today.  Well done Jürgen, well done lads!

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #350: Aug 20, 2017 12:38:56 am
      Good win, 3 points is all that matters, even though it is nice to blow teams away.

Think Mane is going to be massive this year, he just looks so up for it.

We look like we might have some options now at fullbacks, which is good.

Roll on Wednesday.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #351: Aug 20, 2017 02:13:34 am
      I'll take that.

We weren't at our best. In fact it was an ordinary performance from and ordinary looking team up until the 70th minute or whatever it was until we scored. Klopp got a bit of a drilling last week about his substitutions and this week his Solanke sub made the contribution in Mane's pin ball assist. Once we scored the confidence was there and the passing was a lot better. Clean sheet as well which is a Godsend for this team.

Mignolet - 7

Gomez - 7

Matip - 7

Klavan - 6

Roberston - 6

Henderson - 5

Gini - 6

Milner - 6

Firmino - 6

Sturridge - 6

Mane - 7
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #352: Aug 20, 2017 03:03:00 am
      I'll take that.

We weren't at our best. In fact it was an ordinary performance from and ordinary looking team up until the 70th minute or whatever it was until we scored. Klopp got a bit of a drilling last week about his substitutions and this week his Solanke sub made the contribution in Mane's pin ball assist. Once we scored the confidence was there and the passing was a lot better. Clean sheet as well which is a Godsend for this team.

Mignolet - 7

Gomez - 7

Matip - 7

Klavan - 6

Roberston - 6

Henderson - 5

Gini - 6

Milner - 6

Firmino - 6

Sturridge - 6

Mane - 7

Dude, when u score Gini and Andy Rob the same something needs to give.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #353: Aug 20, 2017 06:17:16 am
      Dude, when u score Gini and Andy Rob the same something needs to give.

To be fair it was posted at 2.13 am.

There's a lot of things that could have been going on around that time.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #354: Aug 20, 2017 06:48:00 am
      Yea, big miss from Bumteke.
      We missed a few chances too tho, Matip has to score with that header when their keeper misjudged a cross in the 1st half. Urk.
      We weren't great imo...but we've been worse.  Great to get the 3 points, but wouldn't give me much confidence for the games ahead.
      Particularly for the period of the season where we will be (hopefully) balancing CL, with PL and Cups. First half hurt my eyes.
      Surely to God we will bring in some more bodies before this anti-climax of a window closes...

Yep. It was one of those games where you had to rub your hands with the performance and be happy with the three points.

I know if we could do it consistently, i.e. play pretty ordinary football and take three points "that'd be the stuff of champions" and all that jazz.

Like you though, the squad isn't good enough, but it's the boss who has left us with these options. So, we should be happy with small mercies IMHO.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,839 posts | 701 
      Reply #355: Aug 20, 2017 08:07:40 am
      Quote from Magillionare
      Something about winning 1-0 without the best performance is encouraging. In prior years we would have blown this game.

That phrase seems to be a regular here every season. We're now unbeaten in our first home game of the season for 14 years.

Benteke showed again why we sold him. One bad miss apart, he was totally anonymous, like he was while he was here. Having said that, the game was an awful scrappy slugfest to watch, and the winner came out of nothing. It needed something like that to get the win.

But despite all the doom gloom and mass hysteria after getting robbed by blind linos down at Watford, we're in the top four and doing fine going into the next two games, proper games of football with acres of space to show what we're really capable of.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #356: Aug 20, 2017 08:17:25 am
      Mignolet - 7

Gomez - 7

Matip - 9 MOTM

Klavan - 7

Roberston - 8

Henderson - 6

Gini - 6

Milner - 6

Firmino - 7

Sturridge - 6

Mane - 9

Encouraging performance, nothing stunning but not a disaster anyway.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #357: Aug 20, 2017 09:06:41 am
      Get in.

I always say at the start of the season it's all about getting points on the board. Nothing more demoralising than being out of a title race by October because of a poor start.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #358: Aug 20, 2017 09:55:10 am
      Big win that. Didn't play great but who gives a f***.

It's already looking to me like the two Manchester clubs are hunkering down for a title ding-dong, and unless we want to be beyond dreaming range very early in the piece, we need to be beating everyone outside the top six home and away.

You can't win the title in August and September, but you sure as f*** can lose it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #359: Aug 20, 2017 10:02:42 am
      Big win that. Didn't play great but who gives a f***.

It's already looking to me like the two Manchester clubs are hunkering down for a title ding-dong, and unless we want to be beyond dreaming range very early in the piece, we need to be beating everyone outside the top six home and away.

You can't win the title in August and September, but you sure as f*** can lose it.

"You can't win the title in August and September, but you sure as f*** can lose it." Good job no one told Chelsea this last year, but I do agree with you in general ;-)

I actually thought it was sub standard game for us but having said that if it wasn't for Hennessy it could easily have been 4-0 like Manure were gifted, AGAIN!

Another positive is that we looked much much better defensively today, helped in large part by their weird decision to take short corners against us!!

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #360: Aug 20, 2017 10:20:53 am
      Made up with the result - disappointed with the performance - in particular the lack of impetus from midfield which suggests to me that bus-parkers will still get results against us.

Our set pieces were wasted yet again and when you lack creativity in midfield I'd definitely like us to work the keeper more from free kicks etc.

Fairly horrible looking set of games coming up.  Six very tricky league games in seven all the way up now until the Spurs game in October.

If we can get anywhere close to 18 points after game 9 then that would be an achievement in my opinion.  Gut feeling is that we won't make that - certainly the Lallana injury and continued Coutinho issues/fallout are going to cost us points along the way to there.

Last season's results against the top sides was hugely impressive, almost freakishly good and won't be repeated.

Slog until Halloween and then hopefully a period of better results till the New Year I reckon.

dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #361: Aug 20, 2017 11:24:36 am
      Another scrappy performance but another victory, which is far more important than playing pretty football. It's the sort of result we were being praised for at the back end of last season, where we grinding out one nil victories over Stoke and West Brom. We did that again yesterday afternoon.

We were in total control for the most part. Other than Beneteke's shocking miss, Palace didn't cause us much threat. We dealt with set-pieces very well and I can't wait for the hour long discussion by all media outlets about how we did well because they're only too quick to throw the knives in when we concede via set-pieces.

Going forward we were very short of our best. And yet we still could of had a hatful of goals. Had we been clinical in front of goal we'd probably all be having different outlooks on the game. We'd be purring over our football if Matip, Mane and Wijnaldum put away their chances and we walk out as comfortable 4-0 winners. Alas, we weren't clinical and therefore made it a lot more nervy than it should of been. But what's new there with Liverpool eh?

Mignolet - another solid performance from the Belgian. For me, he's now cemented his place as our number one. But we all know there's a mistake just around the corner. Thankfully it wasn't there against Palace. He looked very comfortable throughout the game, never really troubled and can look back on his first clean sheet of the season with a lot of happiness.

Gomez - there's something about this lad that a lot of us like. He played well without taking much of the limelight. He was solid at the back, helped out in an attacking sense and against a side like Palace that's impressive for a young full back. Palace use their wingers as well as any side in the League so for a young full back making his first start of the season, he can be happy with his performance.

Matip - easily his best performance of the season. And against Benteke, who has a great record against us, that takes some doing. Other than that one chance for our former number 9, Matip and Klavan marshalled him very well. Was the absence of Lovren that much of a help to Joel? Maybe.

Klavan - he wasn't as good as Matip but for a player who receives a lot of criticism he put in a good performance. After the Watford game, I spoke about players, mainly defenders, not attacking the ball aerially in today's football but big Ragnar proved to be one of the few exceptions to that rule yesterday. Everything in the air he was up and challenging for, not being scared to take a whack from an elbow or clash of heads. Attacking the ball, wanting to win the ball. A good performance from a much maligned centre half.

Robertson - quite the opposite to Gomez on the right in that his performance did take a lot of the limelight. He'll be praised to high heavens for his attacking play and quite rightly so. His delivery was outstanding and should of had at least one assist to his name. And once Trent returns on the right, we're going to be looked at as the club with two of the best full backs in the League. Also how good is it to have a Scot back in the team? We tend to do very well when we have somebody north of the border in the team - let's forget Charlie Adam didn't happen.

Henderson - like Matip, this was very easily his best performance of the season. He got around the pitch a lot more than he has done in the previous two games. He harried the Palace team and got stuck in. He still frustrates the F**k out of me when he passes the responsibility on to somebody else. Just put your foot on it, look up and pick a pass. Everybody knows you're capable of it, just have the confidence in yourself. And given the players we have in attack, their movement, their pace and their skill, if you find them they're likely to find a goal.

Wijnaldum - the bashing of the Dutchman continues. And I've come to the conclusion that he's the sort of player who is very unnoticeable when things are going well but stands out like a sore thumb when things are going badly. He, more than anybody else, needs a creative midfielder in the side alongside him and Henderson. Whether that third man be Can or, as it was yesterday, Milner, Gini's lack of anything becomes more obvious. The one thing he does better than any of our other central midfielders is ghost into the box and score important goals, that hasn't been there this year. He's just been very static and, as a result, very poor.

Milner - for me the lad isn't good enough to be a central midfielder in the League. Never has been and never will be. His covering of Robertson though was vital because we could of been exposed down that side had Milner not got across. But he's too samey to the other two in the middle and that has been a problem all season. Whatever combination we've gone with in the middle of the park thus far, they've looked like three carbon copies of each other. Whether Klopp can ask one of the attackers to drop a bit deeper into a more central position like he has previously with Lallana and Coutinho I don't know. I suppose the most likely of that would be Firmino given Mane and Salah are more out and out wide men.

Mane - really is the star of the team. And given that the media are now highlighting that, we're going to have the trouble of keeping him next summer because there will be a campaign from the media for other clubs to pick him up. But he's the one player who has picked up his form from last year. Just keeps going, no cause is lost with him and even when things aren't going right, you know he's likely to either score or create that goal. He's got "it" as they say.

Firmino - another performance from him where he huffed and puffed a lot, chasing down the Palace defenders but didn't do much else. And while it sets the tone at the top end of the pitch, I would like a forward to be more involved with the ball than without it. Seven games without a goal in open play isn't good enough for a man primarily played as our main forward.

Sturridge - very noticeable that he was coming back from injury. He didn't have that spark he usually does but still had flashes of brilliance. That turn and shot from 20-25 yards for instance, while the shot sailed harmlessly over the bar the skill to get away from his man was outstanding. I don't expect him to start in Europe in midweek nor against Arsenal next Sunday but rather coming off the bench in both games to get a few more minutes under his belt before breaking down again while on international duty and him being ruled out until, initially, early October but not actually returning until late February.

Salah - changed the game for us when he came on, offered us more of a threat with him, Mane and Firmino than we had with Sturridge was on. Looked as if he wanted to say to Klopp don't ever put me on the F***ing bench again. His pace alone gives us another option of going over the top rather than passing it to death and going nowhere. I'd say yesterday was a better performance from our new boy than the one against Watford.

Solanke - so happy to see him come on ahead of Origi. He has something about him than Divock simply doesn't. His ability in the air allows to go long if need be. His touch is excellent. He's willing to fight for every ball. And it was that fight that led to the goal. He could of easily allowed Palace to clear it but he got stuck in and, for once, the bounce landed at the feet of one our players. If Klopp is looking at trying to change it up a little in regards to our forward line, I'm more than happy for him to go with Dom.

Lovren - like a few of the side this was easily his best performance of the season. I dreaded him coming on because I knew if we conceded in those final minutes of the game, all blame would of been on his shoulders. Thankfully we kept the clean sheet and Dejan doesn't have to shoulder the blame. But given the performances of Matip and Klavan, I think the Croat should keep his place on the bench for the Hoffenheim game.

Overall it wasn't too pretty but it was three points. I'll take that. We were never struggling defensively, we just couldn't find the net offensively. And it wasn't for lack of trying, we had plenty of chances. We didn't give up or run out of ideas like we have done in previous seasons. So I think the boys can come away feeling happy with yesterday's game.

Progression to the proper stages of the European Cup in midweek followed by beating one of our, so called, rivals for the title on Sunday and we'll be ending the opening month of the season in a rather good position.

Well done Reds.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #362: Aug 20, 2017 12:52:04 pm

Firmino - another performance from him where he huffed and puffed a lot, chasing down the Palace defenders but didn't do much else. And while it sets the tone at the top end of the pitch, I would like a forward to be more involved with the ball than without it. Seven games without a goal in open play isn't good enough for a man primarily played as our main forward.

Sturridge - very noticeable that he was coming back from injury. He didn't have that spark he usually does but still had flashes of brilliance. That turn and shot from 20-25 yards for instance, while the shot sailed harmlessly over the bar the skill to get away from his man was outstanding. I don't expect him to start in Europe in midweek nor against Arsenal next Sunday but rather coming off the bench in both games to get a few more minutes under his belt before breaking down again while on international duty and him being ruled out until, initially, early October but not actually returning until late February.

Both highlighted points so true, the second one with lots of  :lmao:.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #363: Aug 20, 2017 01:56:15 pm
      Never saw the game, only on MOTD.

Not arsed about the performance, just the result, this was a game we lost last year, so pleased with that.

Obviously the new pitch is paying for itself. :roll:
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #364: Aug 20, 2017 02:42:11 pm
      Wasn't a great performance yesterday to be honest but a few positives to take regardless.

Mignolet. Did nothing wrong. Decision making much better and he is starting to command his box. Big improvement to the shambles we saw at Watford.

Robertson. Very good debut. Some of his crosses were top quality. It was noticeable how much more balanced we were having a natural left back in position.

Matip. My motm. I thought he was excellent and I'm surprised he hasn't got more votes. He handled benteke (who usually proves to be a big handful and scores against us) superbly. He had a great game.

Klavan. Made one or two minor mistakes but apart from that he played well too. He will never be a solution to our defensive crisis but he is a lot calmer than Lovren and it rubs off on those around him.

Gomez. Out of position playing full back and he isnt as good as Trent but he did well and was steady throughout.

Henderson. Thought he was dreadful again. People can blame his injury all they like but that doesn't excuse his decision making and sideways passing.

Wijnaldum. Poor again too. He needs coutinho and lallana in the team to perform at his best.

Milner. He was the best out the three and I thought he covered and helped Robertson out well.

Firmino. Moved from the middle to the left and it effected his game. Wasn't involved until he was put back more central when Sturridge went off.

Mane. We need to keep him fit. He is our best player and our only threat at times.

Sturridge. Not involved at all but a real lack of service to be fair to him.

Salah. Made an impact when he came on, showed his pace and some nice touches/passing.

Solanke. Also made an impact when he came on and gave the palace defence something else to think about.

Lovren. Not on long enough to make a judgment but thankfully he made no F**k ups or cost us the points.

To summarise, very flat going forward and our goal came from a bit of luck. Defensively we were sound and limited palace to very few chances. We probably did just about enough to earn the three points but at one point I did feel it had 0-0 all over it. I'm worried that we have no creativity in the middle without lallana and coutinho and we might get found out by the time Arsenal turn up.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #365: Aug 20, 2017 03:12:19 pm
      Listened to this on the radio and saw the highlights on MOTD. A solid if unspectacular job yesterday by all involved it seems from Migs to Firmino. I could take A LOT more of these mundane 1-0 wins in all honesty!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #366: Aug 21, 2017 02:18:42 am

Another scrappy performance but another victory, which is far more important than playing pretty football. It's the sort of result we were being praised for at the back end of last season, where we grinding out one nil victories over Stoke and West Brom. We did that again yesterday afternoon.

We were in total control for the most part. Other than Beneteke's shocking miss, Palace didn't cause us much threat. We dealt with set-pieces very well and I can't wait for the hour long discussion by all media outlets about how we did well because they're only too quick to throw the knives in when we concede via set-pieces.

Going forward we were very short of our best. And yet we still could of had a hatful of goals. Had we been clinical in front of goal we'd probably all be having different outlooks on the game. We'd be purring over our football if Matip, Mane and Wijnaldum put away their chances and we walk out as comfortable 4-0 winners. Alas, we weren't clinical and therefore made it a lot more nervy than it should of been. But what's new there with Liverpool eh?

Mignolet - another solid performance from the Belgian. For me, he's now cemented his place as our number one. But we all know there's a mistake just around the corner. Thankfully it wasn't there against Palace. He looked very comfortable throughout the game, never really troubled and can look back on his first clean sheet of the season with a lot of happiness.

Gomez - there's something about this lad that a lot of us like. He played well without taking much of the limelight. He was solid at the back, helped out in an attacking sense and against a side like Palace that's impressive for a young full back. Palace use their wingers as well as any side in the League so for a young full back making his first start of the season, he can be happy with his performance.

Matip - easily his best performance of the season. And against Benteke, who has a great record against us, that takes some doing. Other than that one chance for our former number 9, Matip and Klavan marshalled him very well. Was the absence of Lovren that much of a help to Joel? Maybe.

Klavan - he wasn't as good as Matip but for a player who receives a lot of criticism he put in a good performance. After the Watford game, I spoke about players, mainly defenders, not attacking the ball aerially in today's football but big Ragnar proved to be one of the few exceptions to that rule yesterday. Everything in the air he was up and challenging for, not being scared to take a whack from an elbow or clash of heads. Attacking the ball, wanting to win the ball. A good performance from a much maligned centre half.

Robertson - quite the opposite to Gomez on the right in that his performance did take a lot of the limelight. He'll be praised to high heavens for his attacking play and quite rightly so. His delivery was outstanding and should of had at least one assist to his name. And once Trent returns on the right, we're going to be looked at as the club with two of the best full backs in the League. Also how good is it to have a Scot back in the team? We tend to do very well when we have somebody north of the border in the team - let's forget Charlie Adam didn't happen.

Henderson - like Matip, this was very easily his best performance of the season. He got around the pitch a lot more than he has done in the previous two games. He harried the Palace team and got stuck in. He still frustrates the f**k out of me when he passes the responsibility on to somebody else. Just put your foot on it, look up and pick a pass. Everybody knows you're capable of it, just have the confidence in yourself. And given the players we have in attack, their movement, their pace and their skill, if you find them they're likely to find a goal.

Wijnaldum - the bashing of the Dutchman continues. And I've come to the conclusion that he's the sort of player who is very unnoticeable when things are going well but stands out like a sore thumb when things are going badly. He, more than anybody else, needs a creative midfielder in the side alongside him and Henderson. Whether that third man be Can or, as it was yesterday, Milner, Gini's lack of anything becomes more obvious. The one thing he does better than any of our other central midfielders is ghost into the box and score important goals, that hasn't been there this year. He's just been very static and, as a result, very poor.

Milner - for me the lad isn't good enough to be a central midfielder in the League. Never has been and never will be. His covering of Robertson though was vital because we could of been exposed down that side had Milner not got across. But he's too samey to the other two in the middle and that has been a problem all season. Whatever combination we've gone with in the middle of the park thus far, they've looked like three carbon copies of each other. Whether Klopp can ask one of the attackers to drop a bit deeper into a more central position like he has previously with Lallana and Coutinho I don't know. I suppose the most likely of that would be Firmino given Mane and Salah are more out and out wide men.

Mane - really is the star of the team. And given that the media are now highlighting that, we're going to have the trouble of keeping him next summer because there will be a campaign from the media for other clubs to pick him up. But he's the one player who has picked up his form from last year. Just keeps going, no cause is lost with him and even when things aren't going right, you know he's likely to either score or create that goal. He's got "it" as they say.

Salah - changed the game for us when he came on, offered us more of a threat with him, Mane and Firmino than we had with Sturridge was on. Looked as if he wanted to say to Klopp don't ever put me on the f**king bench again. His pace alone gives us another option of going over the top rather than passing it to death and going nowhere. I'd say yesterday was a better performance from our new boy than the one against Watford.

Solanke - so happy to see him come on ahead of Origi. He has something about him than Divock simply doesn't. His ability in the air allows to go long if need be. His touch is excellent. He's willing to fight for every ball. And it was that fight that led to the goal. He could of easily allowed Palace to clear it but he got stuck in and, for once, the bounce landed at the feet of one our players. If Klopp is looking at trying to change it up a little in regards to our forward line, I'm more than happy for him to go with Dom.

Lovren - like a few of the side this was easily his best performance of the season. I dreaded him coming on because I knew if we conceded in those final minutes of the game, all blame would of been on his shoulders. Thankfully we kept the clean sheet and Dejan doesn't have to shoulder the blame. But given the performances of Matip and Klavan, I think the Croat should keep his place on the bench for the Hoffenheim game.

Overall it wasn't too pretty but it was three points. I'll take that. We were never struggling defensively, we just couldn't find the net offensively. And it wasn't for lack of trying, we had plenty of chances. We didn't give up or run out of ideas like we have done in previous seasons. So I think the boys can come away feeling happy with yesterday's game.

Progression to the proper stages of the European Cup in midweek followed by beating one of our, so called, rivals for the title on Sunday and we'll be ending the opening month of the season in a rather good position.

Well done Reds.

Thanks Billy,
      Was going to post a match report but after reading yours not much point,
      Summed up perfectly,
      Great post.......

.....Look forward to your next report on Thursday when we qualify for the CL proper.

YNWA

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #367: Aug 21, 2017 05:36:00 am
      They've beaten us at home for the last three games

Didn't this time .

Quick Reply