Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST

Read 9192 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Aug 21, 2017 02:43:21 pm
      Liverpool (2) v (1) Hoffenheim

A one goal lead for the reds in the 2nd leg of the Champions League playoff. 

The away goals rule is applied at full time and at the end of extra time.  So the only way this game goes to extra time or penalties is if the game ends 2-1 to the German side. (A 1-0 win for Hoffenheim would see Liverpool go through).

Several LFC players were rested/slightly rested/dropped at the weekend's win over Palace.

Alexander-Arnold/Moreno/Salah/Lovren/Emre Can

Although Klavan and Matip helped the reds to the first clean sheet of the season the boss may well bring Lovren back into the side.

Can't see too much of a difference from the line up from last week.

Hoffenheim made amends for their defeat against Liverpool and won their first game of the Bundesliga, at home, 1-0 v Werder Bremen.

Kramaric scored in the 84th minute for them after coming on mid-way through the second half.

Hoffenheim had made 6 changes to their weekend starting line up, similar to Liverpool - again with possibly a bigger eye on this game.

It will be Hoffenheim's first European away game in the club's history, and obviously also their first trip to Anfield.

If the reds get through the group stage draw is on Thursday at 5pm UK time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2017 03:37:42 pm
      Have to admit I'm a bit nervous about this one. My head says that we should easily control this game at home and have them put away by halftime.

My heart is more fickle and worries that if we really are waiting to win this to complete our (much needed) transfer business that we'll find a way to screw this up.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Hoffenheim - UEFA CL Playoff Leg 2 Wed 23 Aug 7:45pm BST
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2017 03:41:42 pm
      Come out fast and positive.

That's all I ask
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2017 04:51:24 pm
      We really really ought to win this quite comfortably, they are a decent side but they play open football and need to score at least 2 goals and at Anfield that will play right into our hands.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2017 04:53:44 pm
      Solanke, Mane and Salah to start in attack. Firmino with an attacking midfield role. Not really fussed about the rest.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2017 05:11:11 pm
      Can see it getting nervous if we concede the first goal so a nice, fast start would be appreciated.

TAA, Salah and Can to come in for me. Gomez, Milner and Gini to miss out. Get Firmino back central behind Sturridge.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2017 05:15:33 pm
      Champions League night at Anfield. Fook yea!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2017 05:38:33 pm
      Can see it getting nervous if we concede the first goal so a nice, fast start would be appreciated.

TAA, Salah and Can to come in for me. Gomez, Milner and Gini to miss out. Get Firmino back central behind Sturridge.
      I think I agree with JD that Sturridge is better as an impact sub. I think Solanke is looking good to start now.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2017 05:44:50 pm
      Solanke, Mane and Salah to start in attack. Firmino with an attacking midfield role. Not really fussed about the rest.

Wouldn't mind seeing this tbh.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2017 06:18:04 pm
      Hope we don't send Ryan Kent on loan he look good in preseason if mane or salah out injury he do job other F**k up by club send good young player out loan
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2017 06:25:57 pm
      Good side are Hoff, well organised and can very much play the beautiful game, for me though they have blown their chances of progressing, had we been at home first I would have happily taken a two goal advantage to the 2nd leg and I feel Hoffenhiem would be the same,

They are up against it let's be honest it was already a mountain to climb now it's Everest...

We score first their gone no question, but you can never be complacent so although it won't be a walk over I think we will be comfortable .....

What I'd go with.....

Migs, TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
      Henderson, Grujic, Can, Salah, Mane, Bobby.

What is more likely...

Migs, TAA, Matip, Lovren, Robertson,
      Henderson, Wijnaldom, Emre Can,
      Salah, Mane, Firmino

Bench;   Karius, Gomez, Klav/Lov Milner/Grujic  Sturridge, Solanke

Clean sheet for me, with the mighty Redmen bagging a 3-0 comfortable victory.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2017 06:38:23 pm
      Champions League night at Anfield. Fook yea!

Hande hoch, for you fritz the tie is hopefully over
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,639 posts | 449 
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2017 08:21:48 pm
      No Moreno please, that's all I ask. Looking  forward to Wednesday.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2017 08:48:36 pm
      Good side are Hoff, well organised and can very much play the beautiful game, for me though they have blown their chances of progressing, had we been at home first I would have happily taken a two goal advantage to the 2nd leg and I feel Hoffenhiem would be the same,

They are up against it let's be honest it was already a mountain to climb now it's Everest...

We score first their gone no question, but you can never be complacent so although it won't be a walk over I think we will be comfortable .....

What I'd go with.....

Migs, TAA, Matip, Klavan, Robertson,
      Henderson, Grujic, Can, Salah, Mane, Bobby.

What is more likely...

Migs, TAA, Matip, Lovren, Robertson,
      Henderson, Wijnaldom, Emre Can,
      Salah, Mane, Firmino

Bench;   Karius, Gomez, Klav/Lov Milner/Grujic  Sturridge, Solanke

Clean sheet for me, with the mighty Redmen bagging a 3-0 comfortable victory.

YNWA

Love your confidence mate, I think they're still in the tie a little more than that. That's not to say I think we'll struggle that much but our defence always gives the opposition that opportunity.

2 away goals is a huge bonus, they clearly have to score at least 2 and whatever they score I think we can match and that will be enough. I think in typical LFC fashion we'll go through with it being 1-1 or something similar (score draw). As long as we're through at the end of the night I don't really care.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2017 09:08:33 pm
      Another tie, in which we should comfortably win. But somehow make it difficult for ourselves, nothing changes !
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2017 09:22:17 pm
      1-0 to Hoffenheim early in the second half with us filling our pants for the final 25 minutes as they have loads of corners sounds 'Liverpool' enough for the scenario on Wednesday.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2017 09:24:43 pm
      Hope we don't send Ryan Kent on loan he look good in preseason if mane or salah out injury he do job other f**k up by club send good young player out loan

Even though he is very rusty I wouldn't be sending him out on loan either.  We've got no idea how the Coutinho thing is going to pan out - Sturridge will be about at some point in the next five games and then with internationals early in September then we all know we won't get a full contingent back from duty.

Be madness to send him out on loan with the League Cup etc as well on the horizon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2017 09:32:03 pm
      Even though he is very rusty I wouldn't be sending him out on loan either.  We've got no idea how the Coutinho thing is going to pan out - Sturridge will be about at some point in the next five games and then with internationals early in September then we all know we won't get a full contingent back from duty.

Be madness to send him out on loan with the League Cup etc as well on the horizon.

I agree JD. Kent was excellent in preseason and being loaned out by Klopp generally isn't a good sign for the future. I thought he showed bags of potential and to deputise for Mane/Salah would be perfect for his development and could be a crucial to rest them.

I get the feeling that Klopp sees someone else being given minutes out wide if we need to rest the speedsters, not sure who that is though if Kent goes out.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2017 09:43:30 pm
      TAA for Joe and Salah for Danny. And off we go
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2017 10:09:08 pm
      NB: Team no longer available
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2017 10:22:19 pm

Why drop Robertson?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2017 10:32:51 pm
      Love your confidence mate, I think they're still in the tie a little more than that. That's not to say I think we'll struggle that much but our defence always gives the opposition that opportunity.

2 away goals is a huge bonus, they clearly have to score at least 2 and whatever they score I think we can match and that will be enough. I think in typical LFC fashion we'll go through with it being 1-1 or something similar (score draw). As long as we're through at the end of the night I don't really care.

understand mate, it's definitely not over by any means, however just for the sake of a extra wee caveat, this will be Hoff's very first trip away in Europe, and what a place to make your European debut, a Wednesday night at Anfield in a CL qualifier, some say a European night at Anfield is the best laxative known to man, well I don't know about that, all I know is Hoffenheim players will have never experienced anything like it before so they are in for a rude experience, a experience that could affect their mental state,

There's rumours that sales in Tena men went through the roof at Boots in Germany !!

I am confident mate, can't see anything other than victory for the Redmen.

YNWA
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2017 10:46:43 pm

Origi needs to do a lot more to deserve a starting spot. I personally would go with Sturridge again, he needs games.

Robertson has to keep his place.

Quick Reply