Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?

Read 18604 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?
      Reply #69: Aug 25, 2017 03:30:20 pm
      Of course no doubt it happens to all clubs.
      However over the last few years it has happened to regularly at LFC.

Hence why this year it is imperative we need to do some catch up in the transfer market because it's no good thinking oh well other clubs like Spurs, Chavs and Arse have not done much as they already have better squads.

Even if Chelsea don't sign anyone they have a squad who were 17pts better than ours and we have only bought in 1 starter in Salah.

Here's the thing though, we never hear about the players those clubs fail to sign, only about ours.

Chelsea are in the sh*t this season, their squad is threadbare, and they are going into the season with only 21 players (last I heard anyway), and some of those are kids, as well as a striker who wants out.

We are a better team and squad than last season, and I think top 4 is a minimum requirement with the players we have.

Yeah we could have got more players in, but we haven't (yet) so I'll move on and concentrate on the football.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,232 posts | 4421 
      Reply #70: Aug 25, 2017 03:35:02 pm
      Here's the thing though, we never hear about the players those clubs fail to sign, only about ours.

Chelsea are in the sh*t this season, their squad is threadbare, and they are going into the season with only 21 players (last I heard anyway), and some of those are kids, as well as a striker who wants out.

We are a better team and squad than last season, and I think top 4 is a minimum requirement with the players we have.

Yeah we could have got more players in, but we haven't (yet) so I'll move on and concentrate on the football.

A bit early to say we are that much better than last season considering we have virtually the same first team apart from Salah.

An injury or two say Hendo and Can in midfield and we are looking at Milner, Grujic or Woodburn.
      In Defence we know Matip and Lovren are pretty injury prone and again we are down to Klavan and Gomez, no more relying on Lucas to fill in.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #71: Aug 25, 2017 03:49:01 pm
      I go ahead and buy something else that's maybe almost as nice and doesn't cost quite as much as my first choice because I want to have something to give my wife on Christmas...otherwise my marriage is over :D. Because there are other stores open to shop at, not just the one I happen to have already looked at.

If you're leaving it 'til Christmas Eve to buy your wife's pressie, you're skating on thin ice my friend.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #72: Aug 25, 2017 03:50:56 pm
      If you're leaving it 'til Christmas Eve to buy your wife's pressie, you're skating on thin ice my friend.

Aren't you the one that was talking about shopping on Christmas eve? I was just using your example.  ???
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #73: Aug 25, 2017 04:07:54 pm
      Think exactly the same mate and there's been some interesting tweets by odd people (not itk, large following without a serious interest in us) suggesting that VvD is actually in Liverpool today. No confirmation of that and you'd think with the amount of camera phones around there would be if true but still I think this one may well get done.

I also think that this will be a record deadline day in terms of transfers as it seems a lot of teams still have work to do.

Actually I saw him at a convenience store in Indianapolis. He was buying some Hookah (something you smoke, not a prostitute).

Sort of looked like him anyway...
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #74: Aug 25, 2017 04:23:18 pm
      A bit early to say we are that much better than last season considering we have virtually the same first team apart from Salah.

An injury or two say Hendo and Can in midfield and we are looking at Milner, Grujic or Woodburn.
      In Defence we know Matip and Lovren are pretty injury prone and again we are down to Klavan and Gomez, no more relying on Lucas to fill in.

Oh I don't know, I think we are starting to hit our stride, and then we'll see just how much the players are able to implement Klopps systems, which they are more familiar with after another full pre-season.
      The younger players are a year older, with all the benefits that brings, not least of which is the coaching and training with the first team squad.
      Salah and Robertson definitely improve the team, and Solanke may surprise a few people.

Every team faces the same dilemma when injuries occur, and every team is light when it comes to direct replacements in defense.

I wish we'd done more, but it's hardly a disaster, rather it's up to Klopp to manage his squad, and know when to rest players. to prevent injuries.

We have, what? 3 first team players out at the moment, and we still look pretty good imo.

I'll leave the doom and gloom to others, and go into this season the same way I have done for over 50 years, which is supporting the team and being optimistic.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #75: Aug 25, 2017 04:33:32 pm
      Aren't you the one that was talking about shopping on Christmas eve? I was just using your example.  ???

It was a rhetorical example to the threads title, "Where Do We Stand With FSG If There Are No More Signings?"

For me, times running out.

May be not a good example, but there you go.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #76: Aug 25, 2017 04:34:25 pm
      Bullshit.
      We were told they would accept £66 million, then when we bid that they fu**ed us off.
      It was all about publicity for Red Bull.

Look, you can buy into all the conspiracy bullshit you want.
      It doesn't interest me.

How do you know what we were told? I thought you didn't believe 99% of what journos said. Isn't that what you said in another thread or was that someone else?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #77: Aug 25, 2017 04:37:30 pm
      How do you know what we were told? I thought you didn't believe 99% of what journos said. Isn't that what you said in another thread or was that someone else?

Are you just going to follow me around trying to troll me and get a rise?

A sad F***ing sack indeed.

Do a F***ing google search if you're that bothered.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #78: Aug 25, 2017 04:39:23 pm
      Are you just going to follow me around trying to troll me and get a rise?

A sad f**king sack indeed.

Do a f**king google search if you're that bothered.
      No, answer the question. You go from one thread claiming you don't believe anything from the click bait media and now you come to this thread claiming you know what was bid and what happened. So how do you know that? Burden of proof is on you and since you love telling everyone how smart you are, maybe you could enlighten us.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #79: Aug 25, 2017 04:48:55 pm
      Actually I saw him at a convenience store in Indianapolis. He was buying some Hookah (something you smoke, not a prostitute).

Sort of looked like him anyway...

Yeah I get the feeling it's bullshit too Robby, just don't get the motivation when they're going to be called bullshitters without evidence anyway. The thing that gave it more weight from my perspective was that these were reasonably big.accounts and had no real history of posting anything to do with football.

Basically, I saw them having far more to lose than gain from it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #80: Aug 25, 2017 04:49:42 pm
      No, answer the question. You go from one thread claiming you don't believe anything from the click bait media and now you come to this thread claiming you know what was bid and what happened. So how do you know that? Burden of proof is on you and since you love telling everyone how smart you are, maybe you could enlighten us.

:lmao:

Google it.

You understand that the more you demand I do stuff, the less likely I am to do it?

The answer you seek is on google.

Now for fucks sake go and bore someone else.
      I'm sure there's a thread where you can tell people they're off topic, or that their posts are too long, too short or whatever.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #81: Aug 25, 2017 04:50:57 pm
      Yeah I get the feeling it's bullshit too Robby, just don't get the motivation when they're going to be called bullshitters without evidence anyway. The thing that gave it more weight from my perspective was that these were reasonably big.accounts and had no real history of posting anything to do with football.

Tried twitter.
      It's a F***ing hellhole  :laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #82: Aug 25, 2017 05:20:30 pm
      :lmao:

Google it.

You understand that the more you demand I do stuff, the less likely I am to do it?

The answer you seek is on google.

Now for fucks sake go and bore someone else.
      I'm sure there's a thread where you can tell people they're off topic, or that their posts are too long, too short or whatever.

Why do I have to google something that you claim to know. And why do you keep sidestepping the point of where you are getting your information when you claim to not believe 99% of media reports. Burden of proof is on you pal. But not surprising to see you deflect and try to make it about me. You just can't stand to be called on your BS. Bout time to threaten me with the ignore button I suppose. 😂
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #83: Aug 25, 2017 06:07:25 pm
      Why do I have to google something that you claim to know. And why do you keep sidestepping the point of where you are getting your information when you claim to not believe 99% of media reports. Burden of proof is on you pal. But not surprising to see you deflect and try to make it about me. You just can't stand to be called on your BS. Bout time to threaten me with the ignore button I suppose. 😂

If you don't know how to google, just ask.

No need for all the histrionics.

There's no burden of proof on me or anyone else, so calm down your (very) little ego, and either ask someone to help you, or try to figure it out for yourself.
      Hint; it's not rocket science.

Then when you've done that, find someone else to try and pick arguments with, because you're becoming (even more) boring.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #84: Aug 25, 2017 06:19:32 pm

If you don't know how to google, just ask.

No need for all the histrionics.

There's no burden of proof on me or anyone else, so calm down your (very) little ego, and either ask someone to help you, or try to figure it out for yourself.
      Hint; it's not rocket science.

Then when you've done that, find someone else to try and pick arguments with, because you're becoming (even more) boring.

It's not that hard.....

We put 2 bids in for Keita.
      The second bid, they said "come back with £66 million and we'll do the deal", then they reneged, which caused a lot of people to think it was all about RBL just doing it for publicity.

VvD, a bit different, and we said we wouldn't bid for him after the tapping up fiasco.

Not that it matters, but to say we didn't bid is a bit wide of the mark imo.

Twisting doesn't need to be done, but it will be, I can guarantee it.

His approach is the same as mine if you want to call it pragmatic.
      We get who we get, and I'm not going to get all wound up about things outside my control.
      I've seen far too many transfer windows, and sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't.
      The issue is that people all of a sudden start treating media reports as gospel, when 99% of it is just clickbait.

All I asked is where you got your info that they told us "come back with 66m and it's done" and then that they reneged on that. Because I'm assuming you'd have had to read that from some media report? I'm guessing you don't have insider information so why is it that the media report that you are citing (which you can't provide) isn't included in the 99% clickbait? But yet you talk down to everyone else on this board about believing what's written in the media. You can't have it both ways son.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #85: Aug 25, 2017 06:22:04 pm
      It's not that hard.....

All I asked is where you got your info that they told us "come back with 66m and it's done" and then that they reneged on that. Because I'm assuming you'd have had to read that from some media report? I'm guessing you don't have insider information so why is it that the media report that you are citing (which you can't provide) isn't included in the 99% clickbait? But yet you talk down to everyone else on this board about believing what's written in the media. You can't have it both ways son.

And I told you to google it.
      What? You think I'm going to waste my time looking up old stories just to please you?    :lmao:

I can have it any F***ing way I want it, just like you when you throw a thread off topic, then 5 minutes later go into another thread and tell people to stay on topic.

Honestly, you are F***ing hilarious, poor lil wannabe mod.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #86: Aug 25, 2017 06:24:03 pm
      Well I don't know what the manager is thinking but I will venture a guess and it may be right or it may be wrong..but there may be something to it.

Manager want's to improve his 1st team with quality players, but specific to the players that can play the type of football he want's to play.

Right there you can run into issues because you may be a fantastic international CB for Juve and be magnificent at defending corners but have never played a system where you play from the back or have the other qualities to needed for a specific system. That right there limits the managers pool unto which to draw players.

Manager want's to improve the squad by bringing in 1st 11 type players that will dislodge current incumbent down too the 12-20 level thus not only improving the 1st 11 but also the squad a whole....kind of a waterfall effect.

This means the manger is not looking to improve depth by bringing depth in the 12-24 range but again by improving the starting 11 and letting the quality trickle down into the 2nd team. Robertson is better than Milner which pushes Milner back into the mid-field that pushes Grujic farther down etc etc. There are short term exceptions..ie Klavan but for the most part I think this is the idea.

The manager is not going to spend just to spend...there is plan A there is no plan B.

If you think the first two ideas above are correct then it's understandable that he is trying to create depth from the 1st 11 but only specific players, that can play a specific way and offer a clear upgrade to the player they are dislodging.

Using Lovren and VVD as an example:

The manager looks at VVD and says he is a 50%+ upgrade on what I have in Lovren and Lovren is a 40% better than I have in Klavan...and Klavan is 50% better than Gomez it makes sense.

Considering there is not a plethora of carry the ball forward play at the feet CB's out there the manager looks and says sound VVD is £60+ million but he is exactly what I need and ticks all the boxes I wan't him.

VVD looks like the deal might not happen and the manager looks around and says here is another CB at £40 million but he can't do everything that VVD can do and he is only a 15% improvement on Dejan and I will still not have what I want and need to do this all again next year...screw it I will back who I have and ride it out.

I am not saying this is the right way or the wrong way, I am saying this could very well be his mindset thus the "I am not going to just buy for the sake of buying"

Many people could probably list 10+ CB's out there and available that are better than Dejan...the issue is that is our perception of what we need whereas the manager is looking at it and says...yeah I am not going to spend £40 million to improve that position by 10% and I really did not solve what I wanted to.

My 2 cents anyway.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,038 posts | 2692 
      Reply #87: Aug 25, 2017 06:24:25 pm

Oh I wouldn't know whether it is true or not. You always hear a lot of rumors at this point in the window.

I would think however, that there would be something about an agreement between the clubs before anything involving the player speaking directly to the club at Melwood or wherever....especially given the history of this particular transfer.  :)
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #88: Aug 25, 2017 06:26:06 pm
      And I told you to google it.
      What? You think I'm going to waste my time looking up old stories just to please you?    :lmao:

I can have it any f**king way I want it, just like you when you throw a thread off topic, then 5 minutes later go into another thread and tell people to stay on topic.

Honestly, you are f**king hilarious, poor lil wannabe mod.

So what you are saying is, you believe media reports when you want to, but when you don't want to, well they are 99% clickbait. Got it.

I knew you couldn't just be a man and own up to the fact that you are talking BS (like always). Grade a whiner you are.  Poor boy, you really should get some thicker skin if you are going to post on the internet very much. :lmao:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #89: Aug 25, 2017 06:28:11 pm
      Well I don't know what the manager is thinking but I will venture a guess and it may be right or it may be wrong..but there may be something to it.

Manager want's to improve his 1st team with quality players, but specific to the players that can play the type of football he want's to play.

Right there you can run into issues because you may be a fantastic international CB for Juve and be magnificent at defending corners but have never played a system where you play from the back or have the other qualities to needed for a specific system. That right there limits the managers pool unto which to draw players.

Manager want's to improve the squad by bringing in 1st 11 type players that will dislodge current incumbent down too the 12-20 level thus not only improving the 1st 11 but also the squad a whole....kind of a waterfall effect.

This means the manger is not looking to improve depth by bringing depth in the 12-24 range but again by improving the starting 11 and letting the quality trickle down into the 2nd team. Robertson is better than Milner which pushes Milner back into the mid-field that pushes Grujic farther down etc etc. There are short term exceptions..ie Klavan but for the most part I think this is the idea.

The manager is not going to spend just to spend...there is plan A there is no plan B.

If you think the first two ideas above are correct then it's understandable that he is trying to create depth from the 1st 11 but only specific players, that can play a specific way and offer a clear upgrade to the player they are dislodging.

The manager looks at VVD and says he is a 50%+ upgrade on what I have in Lovren and Lovren is a 40% better than I have in Klavan...and Klavan is 50% better than Gomez it makes sense.

Considering there is not a plethora of carry the ball forward play at the feet CB's out there the manager looks and says sound VVD is £60+ million but he is exactly what I need and ticks all the boxes I wan't him.

VVD looks like the deal might not happen and the manager looks around and says here is another CB at £40 million but he can't do everything that VVD can do and he is only a 15% improvement on Dejan and I will still not have what I want and need to do this all again next year...screw it I will back who I have and ride it out.

I am not saying this is the right way or the wrong way, I am saying this could very well be his mindset thus the "I am not going to just buy for the sake of buying"

Many people could probably list 10+ CB's out there and available that are better than Dejan...the issue is that is our perception of what we need whereas the manager is looking at it and says...yeah I am not going to spend £40 million to improve that position by 10% and I really did not solve what I wanted to.

My 2 cents anyway.

Sorry to pick out just one part AZ, but that bit hits the nail on the head for me, especially regarding perception.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #90: Aug 25, 2017 06:28:47 pm

My 2 cents anyway.

You make salient points; however, if I need a car that runs (vs the broken down one that I have) but I can't get the one that I really want, I have to buy one that's better than what I have or I don't get to work. I believe that's where we are with Lovren. If we don't get something better than what we have at CB, we aren't going to get to work (title, cup final, etc...)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #91: Aug 25, 2017 06:31:09 pm
      Reckon there's money there. Maybe not enough to get Messi, but someone. Now where did I write down that planB...

Quick Reply