Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Naby Keita (Liverpool -> SV Werder Bremen)

Read 235512 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Naby Keita Player Thread
      Reply #322: Jul 02, 2018 10:01:44 am
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #324: Jul 02, 2018 09:09:19 pm
      If he’s half as good as the previous occupant of the number 8, he’s going to have a good time with us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #325: Jul 02, 2018 10:38:54 pm
      With the World Cup going on I haven't stopped much to think about this lad, but I am so excited to see him in a LFC shirt. Has the potential to make a huge difference for us, and all the better that he'll also have a great midfield partner in Fabinho.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #326: Jul 03, 2018 07:02:57 pm
      https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-naby-keita-man-14862168

The guy who brought him to France originally says that while people compare him to Kante, he believes he plays more like Iniesta.

That'll work.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #327: Jul 03, 2018 08:37:52 pm
      https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-story-naby-keita-man-14862168

The guy who brought him to France originally says that while people compare him to Kante, he believes he plays more like Iniesta.

That'll work.
      Nobody plays like Iniesta, but Iniesta.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #328: Jul 03, 2018 10:46:04 pm
      Nobody plays like Iniesta, but Iniesta.

We'll see.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #329: Jul 03, 2018 11:58:26 pm
      Delighted to have this guy on board (finally!) but...

dancing footballers in social media promos. Why?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #330: Jul 04, 2018 01:15:21 pm
      I can save you some effort mate.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #331: Jul 04, 2018 04:50:51 pm
      I can save you some effort mate.

Right. Because I don't want to watch him play and see how the comparison a professional football coach makes pans out, I just want to accept your blanket statement.

BTW, he didn't say he was as good as Iniesta. He said he plays like him, as opposed to playing like Kante. Said he can play (defensive) role, but he's more of a playmaker (like Andres).
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #332: Jul 04, 2018 04:54:38 pm
      Delighted to have this guy on board (finally!) but...

dancing footballers in social media promos. Why?

This. Sports marketing/pop culture has taken over sport here in the U.S. Hopefully at our club we can hang on to "the game's the thing." (apologies to Hamlet)
      « Last Edit: Jul 04, 2018 06:55:47 pm by Robby The Z »
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #333: Jul 04, 2018 05:17:59 pm
      Right. Because I don't want to watch him play and see how the comparison a professional football coach makes pans out, I just want to accept your blanket statement.

BTW, he didn't say he was as good as Iniesta. He said he plays like him, as opposed to playing like Kante. Said he can play (defensive) role, but he's more of a playmaker (like Andres).
      Again, nobody plays like Iniesta but Iniesta.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #334: Jul 04, 2018 06:58:39 pm
      Again, nobody plays like Iniesta but Iniesta.

OK. Tell me what you see about him that nobody else does.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #335: Jul 04, 2018 07:22:36 pm
      OK. Tell me what you see about him that nobody else does.
      Tell you what I see about Iniesta? You must be having a laugh.

The greatest midfielder of his generation, one of the greatest of all time and a list of individual and team honours that would put almost every player in history to shame.

Players like Isco and Coutinho have similarities but that’s as close as it gets. I don’t think we are like to see a player like Iniesta any time soon.

My opinion of course. My comment wasn’t meant to provoke a response, was just light hearted but since you got on the defensive, that’s my thoughts on it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #336: Jul 04, 2018 11:37:36 pm

The greatest midfielder of his generation, one of the greatest of all time and a list of individual and team honours that would put almost every player in history to shame.

Players like Isco and Coutinho have similarities but that’s as close as it gets. I don’t think we are like to see a player like Iniesta any time soon.

My opinion of course. My comment wasn’t meant to provoke a response, was just light hearted but since you got on the defensive, that’s my thoughts on it.

See, that's what I thought. You are not comprehending what I'm writing. I've said twice already I didn't say Keita was as good as him. I know how great Iniesta is. We are talking about STYLE of play. You are not making any valid argument to show Iniesta plays in a style/role that nobody else plays, more like a typical Internet response with just contradiction and now getting into something like ridicule or accusation ("having a laugh" and "you got on the defensive").

My first comment was not in response to you, but quoting that coach who said Keita's style, his way of playing, is more like Iniesta than Kante (who he gets compared to a lot).  You said nobody plays like Iniesta but Iniesta, but in terms of style, that isn't true. There are many players employed in that role. That he's been the best at it, I have no doubt (I watch too). But the whole point was that we aren't getting a windshield wiper/destroyer nearly as much as we are getting  playmaker. That's it.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #337: Jul 05, 2018 06:17:23 am
      See, that's what I thought. You are not comprehending what I'm writing. I've said twice already I didn't say Keita was as good as him. I know how great Iniesta is. We are talking about STYLE of play. You are not making any valid argument to show Iniesta plays in a style/role that nobody else plays, more like a typical Internet response with just contradiction and now getting into something like ridicule or accusation ("having a laugh" and "you got on the defensive").

My first comment was not in response to you, but quoting that coach who said Keita's style, his way of playing, is more like Iniesta than Kante (who he gets compared to a lot).  You said nobody plays like Iniesta but Iniesta, but in terms of style, that isn't true. There are many players employed in that role. That he's been the best at it, I have no doubt (I watch too). But the whole point was that we aren't getting a windshield wiper/destroyer nearly as much as we are getting  playmaker. That's it.
      I get you mate.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #338: Jul 13, 2018 11:40:38 pm
      Liverpool’s new midfielder Naby Keita has finally arrived after a long wait of one year, and fans are already buzzing to see him in action alongside their other new signing, Fabinho. Keita officially joined the club on 1 July and he has already sparked a controversy with his new tattoo.

As seen in some recent pictures, Keita has a “Rising Sun” tattoo on his left arm, which was a symbol of Japanese Imperialism before WW2.The Rising Sun symbol is still used by some Japanese Right-wing extremists at various political rallies.

Keita’s tattoo has not gone down well with many of the club’s Korean fans as both the present day Koreas were Japanese colonies before Japan was defeated by the United States during WW2. The Rising Sun symbol is still used by some Japanese Right-wing extremists at various political rallies.

The “Rising Sun” symbol has been compared with the infamous “Swastika” symbol of the Nazi party. One South Koren supporter even made this comparison and asked the club and player to do something regarding the same

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports/asian-liverpool-fans-upset-naby-keita-imperialistic-tattoo-1502660684.html

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #339: Jul 14, 2018 02:28:15 pm
      Liverpool’s new midfielder Naby Keita has finally arrived after a long wait of one year, and fans are already buzzing to see him in action alongside their other new signing, Fabinho. Keita officially joined the club on 1 July and he has already sparked a controversy with his new tattoo.

As seen in some recent pictures, Keita has a “Rising Sun” tattoo on his left arm, which was a symbol of Japanese Imperialism before WW2.The Rising Sun symbol is still used by some Japanese Right-wing extremists at various political rallies.

Keita’s tattoo has not gone down well with many of the club’s Korean fans as both the present day Koreas were Japanese colonies before Japan was defeated by the United States during WW2. The Rising Sun symbol is still used by some Japanese Right-wing extremists at various political rallies.

The “Rising Sun” symbol has been compared with the infamous “Swastika” symbol of the Nazi party. One South Koren supporter even made this comparison and asked the club and player to do something regarding the same

https://www.thestatesman.com/sports/asian-liverpool-fans-upset-naby-keita-imperialistic-tattoo-1502660684.html

The clubs PR team working well, not that I think Keita is some right wing asian nut job.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #340: Jul 14, 2018 04:28:43 pm

Let's not get carried away here. I love Iniesta and truly is a maestro but greatest midfielder in his generation. That's taking a bit too far.

What about Stevie g? How would have he done in the barca team? Didn't have the technique as Iniesta but he had more pace. Could play in different position and hell of a lot better at the defensive side of the game.
      remember you said midfielder. And for a midfielder you have to be almost a allrounder.
      I know I'm bit biased but honestly I think Stevie is up there with him.
      what about pirlo? Wouldn't have problem if you have said one of the best because he truly is but don't agree with that he is the best.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #341: Jul 14, 2018 05:20:34 pm
      Let's not get carried away here. I love Iniesta and truly is a maestro but greatest midfielder in his generation. That's taking a bit too far.

What about Stevie g? How would have he done in the barca team? Didn't have the technique as Iniesta but he had more pace. Could play in different position and hell of a lot better at the defensive side of the game.
      remember you said midfielder. And for a midfielder you have to be almost a allrounder.
      I know I'm bit biased but honestly I think Stevie is up there with him.
      what about pirlo? Wouldn't have problem if you have said one of the best because he truly is but don't agree with that he is the best.
      You can claim I’m getting carried away all you want mate but I don’t have any allegiances to Iniesta, I just appreciate his football.

The names you mention are certainly up there and I’m not about to downplay the achievements of one of Liverpool’s greatest ever but, for me, Iniesta is the best.

I get what you say about being an all rounder but but many of the greatest midfielders weren’t exactly defensive stalwarts. Yes he’s not exactly physical but he does his share of defensive work through pressing; just because he doesn’t play as deep as others doesn’t make him poor defensively. Also no point in talking about other teams or positions because we’ll never know and it’s not really relevant.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #342: Jul 14, 2018 10:51:13 pm
      You can claim I’m getting carried away all you want mate but I don’t have any allegiances to Iniesta, I just appreciate his football.

The names you mention are certainly up there and I’m not about to downplay the achievements of one of Liverpool’s greatest ever but, for me, Iniesta is the best.

I get what you say about being an all rounder but but many of the greatest midfielders weren’t exactly defensive stalwarts. Yes he’s not exactly physical but he does his share of defensive work through pressing; just because he doesn’t play as deep as others doesn’t make him poor defensively. Also no point in talking about other teams or positions because we’ll never know and it’s not really relevant.

Gerrard was and always will be the best midfielder ever to grace a football pitch.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #343: Jul 16, 2018 10:44:44 pm
      Just getting excited about Keita purely from watching too halves of fooball from a couple of low profile friendly games! Great touch, quick feet, quick on the turn. Even at this early stage he looks a class act, a step up from ALL of our other midfielders and potentially a real difference maker this season. Salah and Mane will love him, i'll bet he makes at least 10 goals for those two combined.   
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #344: Jul 19, 2018 09:45:51 pm
      Hearing he was different class today. Still not been able to catch any of the pre season games so not seen him play.

Quick Reply