Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread (M)

Read 169665 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread
      Reply #92: Sep 18, 2017 09:24:06 pm
      Yeah... confusing that. 😉

Joking aside: why do you think that is mate; he has, after all, been fit enough to start for both Arsenal and England already this season?

Because we are 6 competitive games in to a 60+ game season,
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #93: Sep 18, 2017 10:11:59 pm
       :mad:
      Because we are 6 competitive games in to a 60+ game season,

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain needs time to adapt at Liverpool, says Jürgen Klopp

Jürgen Klopp says Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will need time to get to grips with Liverpool's style of play.

The £40m deadline-day signing is in line for a first Reds start at Leicester in Tuesday's Carabao up tie, live on Sky Sports.

And ahead of the Leicester game, he said: "We are working on it. We are obviously together with him and the analysts to show him how we want to play him in this position and in that position.

"So there is work to do but there is no rush. That is how it is but it is really good that he is here.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has played 57 minutes across three substitute appearances under Klopp

"Of course it is always better - and next year it will be like this - if a new player comes in for the [start of] the season at least, if not for the pre-season. That would be even better.

"When the season starts, now we are really in this three-games-per-week rhythm and during the international break he was with the national team. So it is not easy and it takes time.

"But already at the weekend [against Burnley], he came on in a difficult situation and he did really well."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/11042569/alex-oxlade-chamberlain-needs-time-to-adapt-at-liverpool-says-Jürgen-klopp

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #94: Sep 18, 2017 10:15:56 pm
      The lad has only been here for two weeks. Don't get all the fuss about his pricetag and him sitting on the bench at the start of his Liverpool career either. Have a look at the bench at City, United and Chelsea. It's full of £40 million players. Damned if you do spend that kind of money on a quality player to sit on the bench, damned if you don't.

Fair point.  We've had plenty of games over the years with kids filling our bench so international players on our bench should be seen as a strengthening of our squad.  I can get on board with your way of looking at it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #95: Sep 18, 2017 10:37:56 pm
      Crazy, isn't it? The lad has only been here for two weeks. Don't get all the fuss about his pricetag and him sitting on the bench at the start of his Liverpool career either. Have a look at the bench at City, United and Chelsea.

Trouble is though and it's not crazy at all, it's actually rather painful to see and with City in particular, they may have a £40mill player sat on the bench but that's because they've strengthened their weakest areas to the extent where they can have that. City signed Walker, Mendy and Danilo this summer, that's over £100mill on full backs alone.
      The Mancs, they've gone out and spent money on the areas they were lacking most over the last couple of seasons and are now getting the rewards with their start to the season.
      Chelsea, might not be getting great results right now but they went out and improved the areas they needed to improve.

I remember when Rafa was here and he wanted us to have 2 first team players that are equally capable of starting the game for each position. Well, City have gone out and done just that and my money is on them winning the league this season as a result.

There is no justification to that transfer at that price IMO, especially seeing as it's virtually the same fee as Salah, who has had a few very good seasons since leaving Chelsea with the stats to back that up, plenty of time left on his contract but yet we tried beating Roma down for 6 weeks to end up just paying the asking price anyway, yet Ox there is no hesitation when all the things I listed for Salah were the complete opposite for him.

City and the Mancs have made a storming start to the season because they've addressed the areas they needed to and done so with intent. We are where we are because once again we failed to address our weakest area by wasting money on a player we didn't even need!!
      Flying Squirrel 39
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 23 
      Reply #96: Sep 19, 2017 09:00:32 pm
      Still reeling from the fact we paid 35M (possibly 40) for a non starting-eleven player with the consistency of Theo Walcott. F***ing shocking what this club pays for players. Add to that the fact he wants to play through the middle  ???. I`ll obviously hope he comes through and justifies the prize tag and Jürgen`s trust, but there`s a big question mark on him and he`ll have to do a lot to dissipate it.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #97: Sep 19, 2017 10:05:56 pm
      Needs to improve massively and quickly or the lad will he slaughtered.

Not he's fault we paid £20 million more then he's worth.

Still think Klopp will make him a better player but for £40 million he should be ready made.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #98: Sep 19, 2017 11:14:22 pm
      In before 7-King Kenny-7 slaughters him :D

On a serious note, I thought he was poor tonight, he just lacks quality and end product, always have when I watched him over the years at Arsenal, but he wasn't playing in his favoured central role and was in a weakened team, so I will bite my tongue a bit longer!!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #99: Sep 19, 2017 11:29:48 pm
      In before 7-King Kenny-7 slaughters him :D

On a serious note, I thought he was poor tonight, he just lacks quality and end product, always have when I watched him over the years at Arsenal, but he wasn't playing in his favoured central role and was in a weakened team, so I will bite my tongue a bit longer!!

He's sh*te, we all know he's sh*te and had he been playing like this for Arsenal still then the people trying to justify his move would be saying he's sh*te.
      Oh, and he most certainly, 110% does not support Liverpool :laugh:

I've said my piece mate, people know my opinion so no point banging the same drum like. I just get fed up saying it and others get fed up reading it :laugh:

As you were ;)

KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #100: Sep 19, 2017 11:50:23 pm
      In before 7-King Kenny-7 slaughters him

:D

He's sh*te, we all know he's sh*te and had he been playing like this for Arsenal still then the people trying to justify his move would be saying he's sh*te.
      Oh, and he most certainly, 110% does not support Liverpool :laugh:

I've said my piece mate, people know my opinion so no point banging the same drum like. I just get fed up saying it and others get fed up reading it :laugh:

As you were ;)

Well AOC certainly put forward a compelling case for the prosecution tonight mate, that was a shocker. Has to go down as one of the worst full debuts I've ever seen, almost nothing worked, in fact that's a compliment, he managed to F**k up almost everything. You would have had to try incredibly hard to be that bad.

I'll give him more chances, of course, I'm hoping it was something to do with the socks or whatever because that was painful to watch.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #101: Sep 20, 2017 04:45:06 am
      Did he miss a sitter today? Some Arsenal c**t here says he did but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Didn't watch it, that's why I'm asking.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #102: Sep 20, 2017 05:11:41 am
      Did he miss a sitter today? Some Arsenal c**t here says he did but I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth.

Nah not really. If its the one I think hes on about his shot got blocked by the defender.

Having said that, not the greatest start to his career but needs more time yet. Forst full 90 and with the reserves.

Having said that our record signing could well be a reserve himself. Strange.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #103: Sep 20, 2017 05:17:45 am
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,140 posts | 1084 
      Reply #104: Sep 20, 2017 05:53:24 am

Haha, why do u remind me of bad that was to watch? He sucked yesterday, plain a simple. However, it's early in his LFC career and I want to see him in the mid field playing with the starters for a few games before I cast judgement. The only issue is when will he get it. I said it when we got him, he will be a nice addition to the squad but I wonder why he chose us if he wants to play center mid. He will have a tough time making into the midfield now, god help him when Lallana gets healthy and Keita comes over. Strange. Klopp does like him and I think the lad deserves some patience from us. I want to see more (as long I never see that crap ^^^ again  :lmao:)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #105: Sep 20, 2017 06:25:52 am
      Nah not really. If its the one I think hes on about his shot got blocked by the defender.

Having said that, not the greatest start to his career but needs more time yet. Forst full 90 and with the reserves.

Thanks mate, gonna go kick the Gooner in his shin!
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #106: Sep 20, 2017 07:13:28 am

As you say mate not a  great start by him & as you also say it was his first full start so hopefully with a few more games under his belt he will come good once up to speed because judging by the sweat that was rolling off him last night he doesn't look like he was & Let's be honest we have players in our squad that play on a regular basis & im still waiting for them to make an impression( I could be in for a long wait ).
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #107: Sep 20, 2017 07:26:31 am

I would agree with that Goner.
      He was probably 4 yards out with the LB and the goalie in front of him. Both were diving in to save his shot. His shot should have been a goal because there was no one marking him and those chances are as clear as they come. If he had taken a second touch and with the defenders diving in he should have been able to bury that.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #108: Sep 20, 2017 08:12:34 am
      He was probably 4 yards out with the LB and the goalie in front of him. Both were diving in to save his shot. His shot should have been a goal because there was no one marking him and those chances are as clear as they come. If he had taken a second touch and with the defenders diving in he should have been able to bury that.

This is why he has only scored a pitiful 6-7 goals in the prem in his whole career. Awful for an attacking player. Just think Salah nearly has that many in 5 games!

He was absolutely AWFUL last night, passing was sloppy, kept falling over himself, kept running into people. Literally amateur stuff, I would love him to come good cause he's English, but jesus Christ he needs to improve a lot.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #109: Sep 20, 2017 08:14:17 am
      40 million.

We woz robbed guv'.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      Reply #110: Sep 20, 2017 08:14:40 am

Too late, kicked him in the shin.  :D
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,974 posts | 237 
      Reply #111: Sep 20, 2017 08:39:39 am
      This is why he has only scored a pitiful 6-7 goals in the prem in his whole career. Awful for an attacking player. Just think Salah nearly has that many in 5 games!

He was absolutely AWFUL last night, passing was sloppy, kept falling over himself, kept running into people. Literally amateur stuff, I would love him to come good cause he's English, but jesus Christ he needs to improve a lot.

I agree with you on the part that he had a shocker. Weak, poor in the attacking third, awful corners (he kept one taking it and kept on failing to produce one decent cross).

I am not making any excuses, but, he seemed to be physically struggling a lot yesterday (whatever was his physical condition.. I was scared that he would be out injured for a longer time like his Arsenal days). Credit to him that he wanted to continue and not take the easy way out of getting subbed. Add to the fact that this is his first full game and it's not even a month since he joined us. As you say he needs to improve a lot. Klopp improved Lallana manifold and I hope he does the same with Alex.

Obviously, Salah (Salah has the assurance of starting in wide position day in and day out) and Alex aren't in the same bracket. A case can also be made for Salahs poor conversion ratio (similar to Suarez when Kenny was the manager). But, in his poor stats, it needs to be noted that Alex's sub appearances are more than his starts in the Premier league. Add to the fact that he has been shunted all across the park. That can be very unsettling to any player.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #112: Sep 20, 2017 10:36:26 am
      He looks and plays like Ibe

says it all really >:(
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,993 posts | 518 
      Reply #113: Sep 20, 2017 11:54:08 am

According to wikipedia, he has scored 9 PL goals. He's never scored more than 2 in a season. I didn't realise he'd scored so few. F**k me, that is worrying for an attacking mid.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #114: Sep 20, 2017 12:27:11 pm

And it was all of our own doing. The second most we've ever paid for a player and he's a bag of sh*t.

Quick Reply