Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread (M)

Read 167790 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain Player Thread
      Reply #345: Apr 11, 2018 07:26:50 pm
      I f**king loved him and gutted he’s gone, however we are coping remarkably well now he’s gone

I would say we are thriving since his departure, not coping.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #346: Apr 12, 2018 02:17:18 pm

A lot has been made about the loss of Coutinho (remember him?) in the last few hours and how we are a much better since his departure. But how? Few can match Coutinho's skillset and ability to score goals from nothing but how is it that we are a better team without him?

I've been thinking about this recently as well. I'd put it down to a few factors:

- We are not quite so dominant in possession without Coutinho. We still boss it against the lesser sides but I think Klopp recognises that Coutinho was a big part of our ball retention (particularly as you could give it to him even with players right on his back and he would retain it) and our style has become more direct as a result. Salah and Mane (especially) rarely play the ball backwards.

- We've got so much better at the back since Van Dyke has come in with notable contributions from Robertson and Karius. It has enabled us to playa  more counter-attacking style, to be more comfortable and secure when we don't have the ball and then kill teams on the break. Pre-Christmas we simply weren't capable of this.

- Klopp alluded to other players having to take more responsibility and this is absolutely true of our centre middies. I think that every single one of them is playing 10-15% better than they were earlier in the season. Milner's form has been very impressive, Can has been consistent, Henderson has stayed injury free and found some form and even Gini has performed well in games when called upon. 
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #347: Apr 12, 2018 03:08:29 pm
      It’s hard to work out. Klopp mentioned that when he was playing he demanded the ball all the time and other players always looked for him when going more direct could have been the better option.

I f**king loved him and gutted he’s gone, however we are coping remarkably well now he’s gone
      Don't miss him myself ,I've been far to wrapped up in how fantastically well we've been playing without him to miss him.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #348: Apr 14, 2018 08:27:04 pm
      Always thought he was a good player but perhaps he thought he was better than he actually was.
      now today he is a completely different player and whatever goes on at melwood with these players long may it continue as the improvement in the likes of Ox is increible
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #349: Apr 15, 2018 01:07:38 am
      Love it how he runs at defenders, that's the kind of CM we want. I just think sometimes, his final ball lets him down and he picks the wrong option. Still I'm glad he's ours. F**k you Wenger!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #350: Apr 15, 2018 01:20:06 am
      Love it how he runs at defenders, that's the kind of CM we want. I just think sometimes, his final ball lets him down and he picks the wrong option. Still I'm glad he's ours. F**k you Wenger!

He really is a powerhouse when he gets going. I can understand his final ball failures in the context of how long he's played in an Arsenal side that, as we have come to learn during his time with us, played him out of position on the wing. I can definitely see that side of his game improving as time goes by. Either way, any doubts about his abilities (and I certainly harboured some) have been washed away this season and he's exceeded all expectations. Heck, that 30 yard screamer against Man City in the Champions League quarters was worth his fee alone!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #351: Apr 15, 2018 02:21:48 am
      He really is a powerhouse when he gets going. I can understand his final ball failures in the context of how long he's played in an Arsenal side that, as we have come to learn during his time with us, played him out of position on the wing. I can definitely see that side of his game improving as time goes by. Either way, any doubts about his abilities (and I certainly harboured some) have been washed away this season and he's exceeded all expectations. Heck, that 30 yard screamer against Man City in the Champions League quarters was worth his fee alone!

He's gonna burst the net one day mate, with one of his rockets.
      Elmswood48
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #352: Apr 15, 2018 06:37:04 pm
      Alex Oxlade Chamberlain and Theo Walcott ride around a rainy Liverpool in a taxi with Charlie Cee driving pre the Everton FC v Liverpool FC Merseyside derby.
      https://youtu.be/shfSW6To2OA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #353: Apr 16, 2018 11:21:04 am
      Great to have someone who can pick up a ball in midfield and drive with the ball at pace and release a thunderbolt, not had a similar player since Gerrard, Coutinho was the closest but he was not really a CM.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #354: Apr 16, 2018 07:45:02 pm
      Great to have someone who can pick up a ball in midfield and drive with the ball at pace and release a thunderbolt, not had a similar player since Gerrard, Coutinho was the closest but he was not really a CM.

3 goals and 6 assists, considering he didn't really start consistently until after the 1st of the year not bad at all.

Growing in confidence every single time he plays....Lallana is going to have problems getting his spot back next season.

Sky's the limit next season.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #355: Apr 18, 2018 09:19:40 pm
      Gotta admit -- I F***ing love Chambo!!  He brings so much pace, power, and energy to our midfield and he's getting better every week. 

I read an article about how he sought out Sterling after scoring the opener against them a few months back and gave him a cheeky nod and a smile to get in his head.  When asked about it, he said, "Of course I did!"  That's swagger and I F***ing love it!!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #356: Apr 21, 2018 02:42:04 pm
      Was excellent again for the small cameo late on today.
      If only Bobby could pass as good as Ox it would have been 3-1 and game over.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #357: Apr 21, 2018 05:06:07 pm
      Think I like Ox in the central role more than when Coutinho played there.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #358: Apr 24, 2018 09:21:17 pm
      Hopefully it's not so serious, get well soon we need you Ox!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #359: Apr 24, 2018 09:42:17 pm
      Looked bad to me.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #360: Apr 24, 2018 09:50:35 pm
      ye that looked a worrying one. fingers crossed as im growing to love this lad.
      squad creaking, cant afford to lose any more bodies.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #361: Apr 24, 2018 09:54:40 pm
      Hopefully just jarred yhe muscle
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #362: Apr 24, 2018 09:59:12 pm
      Gut instinct is saying we'll be lucky to see him back before Christmas...
      Kopite78
      Reply #363: Apr 24, 2018 10:01:31 pm

Me too.

Id be absolutely surprised if we see anything of him again this season.

He went to his knee immediately
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #364: Apr 24, 2018 10:10:26 pm
      Me too.

Id be absolutely surprised if we see anything of him again this season.

He went to his knee immediately

Yep and looked to be the top of the knee
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #365: Apr 24, 2018 10:18:32 pm
      Yep and looked to be the top of the knee

Yea thats not good and Klopp has said as much already.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #366: Apr 24, 2018 10:42:00 pm
      That's his season and probably the WC gone for him. Gutted for us, gutted for the lad.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #367: Apr 24, 2018 10:43:42 pm
      Was always a worry that players may get hurt in extremely wet and slippery conditions and it showed again today. Such a shame and you could sense it in the crowd. So often you see one of your big players go off and the team and whole atmosphere take a severe mental hit from which they never quite recover. Bearing that in mind, it was a fantastic effort to put that behind them and race into a 5 goal lead.

Truth be told when he came off and we struggled for that first half hour, I would never have thought that we'd go on to score 5. Truth be told, I thought Roma had us where they wanted. Containing us deep in their half, seeing one of our starters stretchered off. Rapidly fell apart from them after that.

Quick Reply