Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The 2017 Summer Transfer Window Review and Rating

Read 8988 times
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Re: The 2017 Summer Transfer Window Review and Rating
      Reply #46: Sep 05, 2017 10:13:30 pm
      WITH CLYNE OUT, WE ARE AT THE BARE BONES DEFENSIVELY. CANT AFFORD ANY DEFENSIVE INJURIES.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #47: Sep 06, 2017 03:48:07 pm
      TAA, Gomez and potentially Milner could all play RB while clyne is out
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,154 posts | 138 
      Reply #48: Sep 07, 2017 09:13:25 am
      i think our window has been a disappointment.

we have not strengthened our defence enough. we had to back off VVD due to our own foolishness

we chased Kieta all summer and have to pre pay for next summer

Can still not tied down to a new contract

Courtinho wanted out

we did not appear to have much of a plan for this summer other than VVD Kieta and Salah.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #49: Sep 07, 2017 02:22:14 pm

we have not strengthened our defence enough. we had to back off VVD due to our own foolishness

Courtinho wanted out

we did not appear to have much of a plan for this summer other than VVD Kieta and Salah.
      Ox in and Origi out, major **** up.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #50: Sep 07, 2017 03:45:16 pm

Courtinho wanted out

I agree with a lot of what you said but I just want to clarify something that appears to be being lost regarding Kieta. We paid a premium over what was his release clause in order to ensure he would be a Liverpool player come July 2018. That premium was less than it would have cost us to secure his services this season had they been willing to sell to us. However, they were not willing to sell to us this season, therefore paying somewhere between the two values was a very good peice of business and in this, they should be congratulated.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #51: Sep 07, 2017 04:48:04 pm
      I agree with a lot of what you said but I just want to clarify something that appears to be being lost regarding Kieta. We paid a premium over what was his release clause in order to ensure he would be a Liverpool player come July 2018. That premium was less than it would have cost us to secure his services this season had they been willing to sell to us. However, they were not willing to sell to us this season, therefore paying somewhere between the two values was a very good peice of business and in this, they should be congratulated.
      Let me get one thing straight here, Keita has not officially signed for Liverpool yet, this so called deal doesn't look legally binding to me. What happens if Buyern Munich offer more than us next year? Simple, they return our money if already paid and take a further profit. What can LFC do? Nothing... If you ask me, this Keita deal was just a VERY clever PR thing. If Leipzig really were going to sell him, why not just sell him and Liverpool loan him back for a year like we did to get Origi?

Is Keita a Liverpool player? Not in any way
      Will he be next year, maybe.
      Is it definite? Nothing legally binding.

I am doubting it is legally binding since I never seen this happen before without it being done like it was with Origi.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2017 04:55:58 pm by Ribapuru »
      Kopite78
      Reply #52: Sep 07, 2017 05:07:59 pm
      Let me get one thing straight here, Keita has not officially signed for Liverpool yet, this so called deal doesn't look legally binding to me. What happens if Buyern Munich offer more than us next year? Simple, they return our money if already paid and take a further profit. What can LFC do? Nothing... If you ask me, this Keita deal was just a VERY clever PR thing. If Leipzig really were going to sell him, why not just sell him and Liverpool loan him back for a year like we did to get Origi?

I am doubting it is legally binding since I never seen this happen before without it being done like it was with Origi.

Rubbish.

They will have signed a legal binding deal

He may not be able to play until next year but a legally binding deal will have been signed and we have paid part of a fee up front. You did see him at Melwood right? Where he had a medical?
      Can you imagine  the legal ramifications if they just return the up front fee and sold him elsewhere?

Do yourself a favour rib,  stop talking bollocks then people might take you seriously. 👍
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #53: Sep 07, 2017 05:22:36 pm
      Rubbish.

They will have signed a legal binding deal

He may not be able to play until next year but a legally binding deal will have been signed and we have paid part of a fee up front. You did see him at Melwood right? Where he had a medical?
      Can you imagine  the legal ramifications if they just return the up front fee and sold him elsewhere?

Do yourself a favour rib,  stop talking bollocks then people might take you seriously. 👍

Boy that lad spouts some sh*te!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #54: Sep 07, 2017 05:26:41 pm

You bored and looking to wind people up? You've overshot the mark here, people can clearly see it's just a wind up. Need to skirt the edges of reality Riba, nobody is as stupid as that comment, not even you.

Not legally binding :lmao: nice try, you need a hobby mate.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #55: Sep 07, 2017 06:45:25 pm
      Legally binding, written in blood, a spit and a handshake....my question is, if Keita has some sort of season ending/career threatening injury before he's officially a Liverpool player, do we have any recourse?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #56: Sep 07, 2017 06:55:09 pm
      Legally binding, written in blood, a spit and a handshake....my question is, if Keita has some sort of season ending/career threatening injury before he's officially a Liverpool player, do we have any recourse?

Insurance?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #57: Sep 07, 2017 07:03:23 pm

Not in great spirits, are you, FL? Irma too shall pass :D
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #58: Sep 07, 2017 09:00:52 pm
      You bored and looking to wind people up? You've overshot the mark here, people can clearly see it's just a wind up. Need to skirt the edges of reality Riba, nobody is as stupid as that comment, not even you.

Not legally binding :lmao: nice try, you need a hobby mate.
      Why do the websites reporting the deal use the term not officially joined until 2018 then? how can he unofficially sign? unofficially doesn't sound very concrete to me, if it was he has officially signed for 2018, that would be more confident, but every paper uses the term unofficial.
      Perhaps it is my grasp of the English language making me pick up on this, but the Oxford dictionary says: Not officially authorized or confirmed.
      Now he won't officially join us until 2018, so I am not sure what transfer rules under UEFA have been used here.
      I might be being a bit sceptical for 2 reasons

1) The normal thing to do is sign and loan back, aka Origi deal.
      2) FSG have a history of fudging transfers.

Somewhere in this is probably a clause that allows Leipzig to back out.

Call me a troll or wind up merchant... etc I don't really care.. it's my opinion.
      Until he is officially signed I am not counting my chickens.

If he was 100% definitely going to be a Liverpool player, all parties would have done the same thing as Origi.
      This arrangement seems too suspicious.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/naby-keita-undergoes-liverpool-medical-13540947

Liverpool have agreed a club record deal to sign Naby Keita - but he won't move from RB Leipzig until next summer.

Now I can name a whole list of clubs that agreed deals that broke down at the last minute.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2017 09:25:43 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #59: Sep 08, 2017 12:08:23 am
      Why do the websites reporting the deal use the term not officially joined until 2018 then? how can he unofficially sign? unofficially doesn't sound very concrete to me, if it was he has officially signed for 2018, that would be more confident, but every paper uses the term unofficial.
      Perhaps it is my grasp of the English language making me pick up on this, but the Oxford dictionary says: Not officially authorized or confirmed.
      Now he won't officially join us until 2018, so I am not sure what transfer rules under UEFA have been used here.
      I might be being a bit sceptical for 2 reasons

1) The normal thing to do is sign and loan back, aka Origi deal.
      2) FSG have a history of fudging transfers.

Somewhere in this is probably a clause that allows Leipzig to back out.

Call me a troll or wind up merchant... etc I don't really care.. it's my opinion.
      Until he is officially signed I am not counting my chickens.

If he was 100% definitely going to be a Liverpool player, all parties would have done the same thing as Origi.
      This arrangement seems too suspicious.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/naby-keita-undergoes-liverpool-medical-13540947

Liverpool have agreed a club record deal to sign Naby Keita - but he won't move from RB Leipzig until next summer.

Now I can name a whole list of clubs that agreed deals that broke down at the last minute.

They change the 2017 to a 2018 on the official joining date.

It's done all the time, mostly with younger players or those who need work permits.

You're just a F***ing idiot, that's fine though, you're like the forum dunce now, you're our bi*ch. We won't let the smart kids take advantage of you don't you worry your little head petal.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #60: Sep 08, 2017 12:18:06 am
      There isn't one way to do a deal.  The Origi is one method not the only way.  Next season he is our player.  It was a fantastic deal.  Because if he has a good season it was going to be very very difficult for us to get him.   To be officially be our player he has to be available for us to play and that will happen next season.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #61: Sep 08, 2017 12:37:38 am
      They change the 2017 to a 2018 on the official joining date.

It's done all the time, mostly with younger players or those who need work permits.

You're just a f**king idiot, that's fine though, you're like the forum dunce now, you're our bi*ch. We won't let the smart kids take advantage of you don't you worry your little head petal.
      If it's done all the time then it is fine, I just never known about it and don't have a lot of confidence in transfer committee at the moment.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #62: Sep 08, 2017 01:43:25 am
      don't have a lot of confidence in transfer committee at the moment.

Klopp runs it...sure hope he knows what he is doing huh?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #63: Sep 08, 2017 04:29:18 pm
      I think the Keita deal is unique in that his release clause doesn't kick in until next summer and Liverpool have pre-empted that by agreeing a premium on top of the fee to secure the player.  This is the first time such a deal has been struck as far as I'm aware, so the terminology "he doesn't officially become a Liverpool player until the start of the 2018/19 season" would be true.  This does not mean that the agreement in place is invalidated in any way.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #64: Sep 08, 2017 04:36:36 pm
      The one good thing i'll give the hierarchy these days is the moneyball computermobot they use looks well and truly packed away.

The story goes Klopp gave them a list of Virgil Van Dijk, Naby Keita, Mo Salah and he carried an admiration for Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

There was the signing of Solankie which perhaps could be a bit left field (unsure whos buy he was tbh) but other than that theres been a refreshing lack of spread buying and moneyball punting which can only be a good thing in all honesty.

Lovely.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #65: Sep 09, 2017 10:28:12 pm
      The one good thing i'll give the hierarchy these days is the moneyball computermobot they use looks well and truly packed away.

The story goes Klopp gave them a list of Virgil Van Dijk, Naby Keita, Mo Salah and he carried an admiration for Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

There was the signing of Solankie which perhaps could be a bit left field (unsure whos buy he was tbh) but other than that theres been a refreshing lack of spread buying and moneyball punting which can only be a good thing in all honesty.

Lovely.

That's how I see it too mate and I agree it's a good thing. Only two committee signings this time (Solanke and Robertson) while Jürgen got two of his (Salah and Ox). The mistake I think Jürgen DID make was in not having a viable alternative to VVD once it became obvious that wasn't going to happen. The simple fact of the matter is that NONE of our centre backs are overly good, and finding one or two who are better really oughtn't to be that difficult.

Put it this way, Johnny Evans at West Brom walks into our team at the moment without even having to sweat on the team sheet going up on the wall. We're not talking a superstar, just somebody who can defend a bit. As a punt I also like that kid at Swansea (Rawson or something isn't it?), and I do think that in Michael Keane Everton will eventually have a good player too.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #66: Sep 10, 2017 03:42:25 am
      That's how I see it too mate and I agree it's a good thing. Only two committee signings this time (Solanke and Robertson) while Jürgen got two of his (Salah and Ox). The mistake I think Jürgen DID make was in not having a viable alternative to VVD once it became obvious that wasn't going to happen. The simple fact of the matter is that NONE of our centre backs are overly good, and finding one or two who are better really oughtn't to be that difficult.

Put it this way, Johnny Evans at West Brom walks into our team at the moment without even having to sweat on the team sheet going up on the wall. We're not talking a superstar, just somebody who can defend a bit. As a punt I also like that kid at Swansea (Rawson or something isn't it?), and I do think that in Michael Keane Everton will eventually have a good player too.

How about "the future captain Mick" or has now lost that mantle?

Johnny Evans, sorry mate but you're having a total F***ing laugh there, he's a joke and no matter how poor you think our CBs are they are better than that piece of sh*te Manc, all day long.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #67: Sep 10, 2017 10:42:39 am
      How about "the future captain Mick" or has now lost that mantle?

Johnny Evans, sorry mate but you're having a total f**king laugh there, he's a joke and no matter how poor you think our CBs are they are better than that piece of sh*te Manc, all day long.

It's all opinions mate and you're as entitled to yours as I am mine. The future captain HAS lost that mantle in my eyes unfortunately. Although he appears to be the best equipped member of the squad to take on the role, he is seemingly incapable of sorting his own head out first and playing to his obvious potential.

It's a real shame with Dejan, and I don't think I can remember seeing a Liverpool player whose best game and worst game are so massively far apart. At his best he's obviously up there with the best around, at his worst I'm better myself. For that reason, I've got him down along with Klavan, the massively overrated (on here only) Matip and Gomez as "not overly good".

And I maintain, Johnny Evans would be in our team every week. IMHO obviously.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #68: Sep 10, 2017 03:03:11 pm
      It's all opinions mate and you're as entitled to yours as I am mine. The future captain HAS lost that mantle in my eyes unfortunately. Although he appears to be the best equipped member of the squad to take on the role, he is seemingly incapable of sorting his own head out first and playing to his obvious potential.

It's a real shame with Dejan, and I don't think I can remember seeing a Liverpool player whose best game and worst game are so massively far apart. At his best he's obviously up there with the best around, at his worst I'm better myself. For that reason, I've got him down along with Klavan, the massively overrated (on here only) Matip and Gomez as "not overly good".

And I maintain, Johnny Evans would be in our team every week. IMHO obviously.

Fair enough Mick, I just think he's not good at all and the being an ex-Manc obviously has a huge bearing on my opinion of him. In terms of Dejan, I agree one day he can look really good, another he can be useless and it's frustrating because I actually think we've got  a few players like that (Gini/Can/Klavan).

On Matip the massively overrated thing I think is just coming to play this season and part of his drop in form, imo, is that he's playing with a new RB who has looked shaky in defence and whenever you're getting tonked, as we were against City, then your confidence is going to be hit anyway. He's a top quality player imo who just needs players of similar quality around him and at LCB/Goalie, we struggle to get someone at his level and that will, unfortunately, be a point that is touched on over and over until we do.

Surprised to see you include Gomez in the "not overly good" I suppose your reply would be 'yet' because I see him being a top CB in time, as long as the injuries stay away for him now then he's got a lot of the things we need in a CB and I've very hopeful he can become a top player for us.

Overall though the CB position is without question the one that will bite us in the arse time and time again this season and I disagree with Jürgen's approach in just waiting for VvD. I respect his loyalty to the deal they obviously agreed in person and the fact he waited for him but I think the simple thing to do would just be get 2,  upgrade on Klavan or Lovren, whichever you personally rate lower and just give us that depth in quality there. Losing Lucas, who I actually think was a better CB than was really given credit and not bringing in someone else back there was the mistake that countless numbers of us highlighted and Jürgen's just going to have to take that criticism on the chin because whether you think Johnny Evans or someone else (everyone name their favourite), there most definitely is going to be someone out there who's better than what we have who could have come in and helped us out.

My hope now is that we can get VvD in January, that our 'hands off' stance can change in a new window and we can make that transfer happen, because by then I think there will be a few who've lost their sh*t over the decision not to bring in a CB this summer.

Quick Reply