Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Grading the Transfer Window

Read 6596 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Grading the Transfer Window
      Reply #23: Sep 02, 2017 06:39:47 am
      No entrenchment or conspiracy theories mate, not with me at least; I have to overcome 8 years of underachievement, disappointment and false economies under FSG.
      Ironically we have to wait another season for a player who could affect those 8 barren years, more to the point we need Keita now for the CL challenge we face, not to mention those areas of play that could be our undoing and haven't been addressed.

As stated while the news about Coutinho is very welcome it is no more than a diversion to take the edge off some shortcomings.

It's a positive to look at. I know that can tough for some and they feel the need to twist it into something negative like a PR spin or a diversion.

I just say it's a good thing and move on.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #24: Sep 02, 2017 09:37:24 am
      He's not wearing a red shirt is he? I didn't say it was something I subscribe to either. I've long said the problem lies between the board and manager.

Nothing sums up the section of LFC fans that need something to moan about more than this statement.

And statement signings? Not sure I care too much about "statement signings" - on-field results from solid scouting and signings is more important. Not sure there's many you'd kick Mane out for, not much of a statement signing him though. Nor Coutinho, Salah, Can etc etc etc. F**k statements signings, just get the players we need. VvD is the only miss of this off-season for me, otherwise a very productive window. Which is more than I can say for many in the past, and we're certainly much stronger now than a year ago.

I see a lot of issues with transfer frustration at many clubs, not just us. Not sure why our fans seem to think we're the worst at this, need to just accept we're passionate fans living in a world where businessmen have much of the control of our passions destiny. We're not isolated by any means.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #25: Sep 02, 2017 11:08:28 am
      Given that most threads descend into bickering about the owners in one way or another (I certainly indulge in my fair share of that) I thought that this thread could be used to assess the players we bought and to assess how well equipped or not equipped we are for the season ahead. We've got the FSG thread, and the 'of we don't buy another player FSG are arseholes' thread to stick the boo in on the owners/Edwards etc.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #26: Sep 02, 2017 11:31:29 am
      Nothing sums up the section of LFC fans that need something to moan about more than this statement.

And statement signings? Not sure I care too much about "statement signings" - on-field results from solid scouting and signings is more important. Not sure there's many you'd kick Mane out for, not much of a statement signing him though. Nor Coutinho, Salah, Can etc etc etc. F**k statements signings, just get the players we need. VvD is the only miss of this off-season for me, otherwise a very productive window. Which is more than I can say for many in the past, and we're certainly much stronger now than a year ago.

I see a lot of issues with transfer frustration at many clubs, not just us. Not sure why our fans seem to think we're the worst at this, need to just accept we're passionate fans living in a world where businessmen have much of the control of our passions destiny. We're not isolated by any means.

Nothing says more about a person's inability to read a simple paragraph thant his drivel. I suggest you re-read what I wrote, lad, and try to understand the context it was written in.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #27: Sep 02, 2017 11:53:02 am
      Can't really judge/grade it this early.

Right now we could be saying how it looks like a sh*t window and how the players we've bought haven't improved us etc etc etc, ten years down the line we could be saying how this window was the catalyst to our dominance on the world of football because Solanke has turned out to be the new Ian Rush, Robertson has made the left back position his own, Chamberlain has proven every doubter wrong and Salah has only made our attacking play better.

So grading a transfer window is only possible in hindsight.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #28: Sep 02, 2017 11:57:02 am
      In my book it's an A or 9/10. Salah is a real deal, Solanke, Robertson and Ox are premium backup's with potential to be more, Keita!!!!!!!! one cannot stress enough that this dude will be world's best player in 2-3 years and we got him. VVD and Lemar in the pipeline, showing balls with Coutinho, just loaning Origi so we could get him back. Many here have unrealistic expectations, it's not a computer game, it's real life and we got some real good stuff.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #29: Sep 02, 2017 03:24:04 pm
      Nothing says more about a person's inability to read a simple paragraph thant his drivel. I suggest you re-read what I wrote, lad, and try to understand the context it was written in.

:lmao:

Considering my response was more a general response to that idea rather than yourself (never was there an attack AT you, it was the idea presented) I'd take some of your own advice and try to read my "drivel" in the context it was written in.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #30: Sep 02, 2017 04:03:38 pm
      Is right Keita is nothing like Coutinho, like you I hope we keep hold of Can and see Keita taking Gini's position as the box to box midfielder.
      I also think Can is better as the DM rather than Hendo.

I think you are both wrong, why the F**k would Jürgen sell Can, he's one of our best players and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we keeping hold of our best players now ?

Don't you think it's possible that Henderson could be replaced because for me the arrival of AOC, and Naby next season are signs Jürgen feels Hendo and possibly Gini too are not at the level he wants for his mids,

Maybe he sees Naby, Can and The Ox as his main 3 and sees Hendo, Gini as back up, I've said before that our midfield isn't the best and will need added quality to take us forward, we cannot discount others arriving either,

Klopp is building a side capable of locking horns with the best Europe has to offer but we ain't doing it if don't upgrade our midfield and definitely won't do it selling Can!

YNWA
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #31: Sep 02, 2017 04:12:59 pm

I think you are both wrong, why the f**k would Jürgen sell Can, he's one of our best players and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we keeping hold of our best players now ?

Don't you think it's possible that Henderson could be replaced because for me the arrival of AOC, and Naby next season are signs Jürgen feels Hendo and possibly Gini too are not at the level he wants for his mids,

Maybe he sees Naby, Can and The Ox as his main 3 and sees Hendo, Gini as back up, I've said before that our midfield isn't the best and will need added quality to take us forward, we cannot discount others arriving either,

Klopp is building a side capable of locking horns with the best Europe has to offer but we ain't doing it if don't upgrade our midfield and definitely won't do it selling Can!

YNWA

Maybe Klopp won't have a choice as regards to Can if rumours are to be believed that he will let his contract run down so he can join Juventus in the summer. I hope it's not true because I think Can has got better and better every season he's been with us. A midfield with Can and Keita looks really good to me. It's gives him options next season to play either 3 in midfield like now or the 2 with a No10 further forward.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #32: Sep 02, 2017 04:43:15 pm
      In my book it's an A or 9/10. Salah is a real deal, Solanke, Robertson and Ox are premium backup's with potential to be more, Keita!!!!!!!! one cannot stress enough that this dude will be world's best player in 2-3 years and we got him. VVD and Lemar in the pipeline, showing balls with Coutinho, just loaning Origi so we could get him back. Many here have unrealistic expectations, it's not a computer game, it's real life and we got some real good stuff.

Not for me. The way i look at it is can do better,ok spent some money but they will get that back in CL  revenue alone more comitment and we could have had a much stronger squad
       They seemed very keen to bid on player we couldent get and next season they will be getting another big fat cheque and another profitable window.....
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #33: Sep 02, 2017 04:51:51 pm
      Maybe Klopp won't have a choice as regards to Can if rumours are to be believed that he will let his contract run down so he can join Juventus in the summer. I hope it's not true because I think Can has got better and better every season he's been with us. A midfield with Can and Keita looks really good to me. It's gives him options next season to play either 3 in midfield like now or the 2 with a No10 further forward.

Which rumours mate, I haven't seen nor heard that Can would be allowed to leave, I know his current deal is on its last legs but it's only a matter of time before a new deal transpires....again he's one of our best with loads more potential to be seen...it makes absolutely no sense in selling him !

YNWA
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #34: Sep 02, 2017 04:56:38 pm
      Can't he start dealing with Juve in January, this is his last season.    We really need him to sign on the dotted line and soon.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #35: Sep 02, 2017 05:58:43 pm
      There are two ways to judge this, one subjectively and totally based on our own personal opinions, and then one which you interpret Jürgen's ambitions with window. I'll score Jürgen's separately at the end.

Mo Salah - 8/10 8/10

An 8 may not do him justice because he impacts the game so much with his play and gives us that added dimension that we lack whenever Mane is injured. Between them the pair can either rotate or devastate as a duo. I don't think he's hit anywhere near his top form and is still suffering from nerves and even still the goals are flowing for the lad due to our creativity and of course his explosive pace.

Dominic Solanke - 7/10

By rights this kid was wanted by many teams and it's easy to see why. When we look back at him costing somewhere in the region of £10m, in this window, that is going to look stupidly cheap. He already improves the squad by some distance, he's the starter we need when Firmino isn't around. I know some will say "but we have Sturridge", for me Sturridge is best played for those final 30 minutes, we've seen a few times last season and already this that his legs down't last the 90, they barely last the 30 and when he's played from the beginning his impact just isn't meaningful enough. Solanke can most definitely become our number 2 striker this season, without question.

Andy Robertson - Too early

I haven't seen enough to judge him but the thing you would say is it's clear he's been brought in more as back up than he has to start. Given Moreno's early season form I'm not worried about that, but others are. The little I have seen of Robbo is impressive, the way he whips in a cross is as dangerous as we've had in a long time. Peach of a left foot and it's almost a novelty to see that from our wide areas. It's defensively I've not seen nearly enough to know, so will have to reserve judgement until I do.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - 7

I was surprised to see he only missed 5 games last season as I've thought he's struggled with injuries for a long time now. Excited to see him in our red shirt and think he'll make it as a CAM without question. I've seen him play there for Arsenal and been very impressed, I also think he's excellent cover for the wide lads, hence Kent leaving on loan. Even against the bus parkers playing him at RWB would be an option but because we have both Trent and Gomez for there it's far less likely that we'll need to do that unless we want to give one of the young lads a rest. Overall I think he'll be a huge boost in quality for squad depth and will really keep the pressure on many of our starters due to his versatility.

Navy Keita - 9

Only a 9 because he's not signing until next season, but this is the purchase of the window by any team in the league in my opinion. Absolutely the best midfielder that's going to be in the league and there's talk we may get him by Jan, that would be a tremendous boost to our campaign if possible but a truly thrilling player to watch who almost counts as 2 players in the same way Kante does but just has far more in an attacking sense than Kante could ever offer. Player of the season candidate without question and what an African trio we have, 3 of the best 5 in the world!

Players Out

Lucas - I think, had Jürgen known that VvD wasn't coming in he may have tried to persuade Lucas to stay another year, but that's been the story for a few years now. There's just not the minutes there to offer a player who clearly has the quality to offer first team footy to a lot of teams. We'll miss him, in more ways than we'll truly get to know but I wish him all the very best and thoroughly respect his decision.

Origi - Regressed to the point that it was frustrating seeing him come on. A loan or even a sale would have been my choice, but who knows he may progress in the role in Germany. If people want to learn about his early career take a look in his player thread, Danzel did a great post that shows why he looks so much better on the left and why there still may be time for his striking ability to develop but in truth I wont be holding my breath.

Sakho - I think he's a fantastic player but the boss rules on strict adherence to rules and this lad flagrantly broke so many that we simply have to respect Jürgen's choice. It was over for him here the moment he got sent home, I couldn't see him playing again for us and so it's proven. He'll do well wherever he goes but I suspect without maturing his problems will also follow him too.

Overall - 7/10

The reason so high is that I believed last season that when we had our full XI out that we were a match for anyone and were just about the best team in the league. The problem was always the drop from first team to bench players, the quality dip was too far, that dip is now isn't as severe and with the introduction of Keita it will be at the point where just a CB and we'll have 2 or more really strong players for each position, something we haven't had in a stupid amount of time.

Jürgen's goals:

Clear to me he wanted:

LB Cover
      Salah
      Ox
      Keita
      VvD

It seemed obvious from the start that these were the only players we were being linked with, when things went quiet it wasn't that we were looking elsewhere, plan A remained plan A as he said. Now he's got 3/5 already and secured Keita (the one worth waiting for) for next season. The one major failing is obviously VvD, I'm convinced that Jürgen asked for assurances off Virgil and gave them in return, if you knock back Chelsea and Arsenal then we'll not go looking for anyone else, you're my guy so to speak. That could look foolish, naive, ignorant, he'll be called many things I've no doubt about that when it comes to this decision, some of which I think is fair but it's also extremely loyal and I'm hoping that loyalty may pay off sooner rather than later. If we get him in January also then I very much doubt, and of course hope, that we should be in crisis back there by then. We have Emre Can also who can slot in at the back if needs be but this without question will be where our frailties will show the most. 7/10

Overall a good window that could easily have been great with just one more player.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #36: Sep 02, 2017 06:24:03 pm
      You guys forgot to rate Milner and Moreno, our new signings.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #37: Sep 02, 2017 06:36:45 pm
      There are two ways to judge this, one subjectively and totally based on our own personal opinions, and then one which you interpret Jürgen's ambitions with window. I'll score Jürgen's separately at the end.

Mo Salah - 8/10 8/10

An 8 may not do him justice because he impacts the game so much with his play and gives us that added dimension that we lack whenever Mane is injured. Between them the pair can either rotate or devastate as a duo. I don't think he's hit anywhere near his top form and is still suffering from nerves and even still the goals are flowing for the lad due to our creativity and of course his explosive pace.

Dominic Solanke - 7/10

By rights this kid was wanted by many teams and it's easy to see why. When we look back at him costing somewhere in the region of £10m, in this window, that is going to look stupidly cheap. He already improves the squad by some distance, he's the starter we need when Firmino isn't around. I know some will say "but we have Sturridge", for me Sturridge is best played for those final 30 minutes, we've seen a few times last season and already this that his legs down't last the 90, they barely last the 30 and when he's played from the beginning his impact just isn't meaningful enough. Solanke can most definitely become our number 2 striker this season, without question.

Andy Robertson - Too early

I haven't seen enough to judge him but the thing you would say is it's clear he's been brought in more as back up than he has to start. Given Moreno's early season form I'm not worried about that, but others are. The little I have seen of Robbo is impressive, the way he whips in a cross is as dangerous as we've had in a long time. Peach of a left foot and it's almost a novelty to see that from our wide areas. It's defensively I've not seen nearly enough to know, so will have to reserve judgement until I do.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - 7

I was surprised to see he only missed 5 games last season as I've thought he's struggled with injuries for a long time now. Excited to see him in our red shirt and think he'll make it as a CAM without question. I've seen him play there for Arsenal and been very impressed, I also think he's excellent cover for the wide lads, hence Kent leaving on loan. Even against the bus parkers playing him at RWB would be an option but because we have both Trent and Gomez for there it's far less likely that we'll need to do that unless we want to give one of the young lads a rest. Overall I think he'll be a huge boost in quality for squad depth and will really keep the pressure on many of our starters due to his versatility.

Navy Keita - 9

Only a 9 because he's not signing until next season, but this is the purchase of the window by any team in the league in my opinion. Absolutely the best midfielder that's going to be in the league and there's talk we may get him by Jan, that would be a tremendous boost to our campaign if possible but a truly thrilling player to watch who almost counts as 2 players in the same way Kante does but just has far more in an attacking sense than Kante could ever offer. Player of the season candidate without question and what an African trio we have, 3 of the best 5 in the world!

Players Out

Lucas - I think, had Jürgen known that VvD wasn't coming in he may have tried to persuade Lucas to stay another year, but that's been the story for a few years now. There's just not the minutes there to offer a player who clearly has the quality to offer first team footy to a lot of teams. We'll miss him, in more ways than we'll truly get to know but I wish him all the very best and thoroughly respect his decision.

Origi - Regressed to the point that it was frustrating seeing him come on. A loan or even a sale would have been my choice, but who knows he may progress in the role in Germany. If people want to learn about his early career take a look in his player thread, Danzel did a great post that shows why he looks so much better on the left and why there still may be time for his striking ability to develop but in truth I wont be holding my breath.

Sakho - I think he's a fantastic player but the boss rules on strict adherence to rules and this lad flagrantly broke so many that we simply have to respect Jürgen's choice. It was over for him here the moment he got sent home, I couldn't see him playing again for us and so it's proven. He'll do well wherever he goes but I suspect without maturing his problems will also follow him too.

Overall - 7/10

The reason so high is that I believed last season that when we had our full XI out that we were a match for anyone and were just about the best team in the league. The problem was always the drop from first team to bench players, the quality dip was too far, that dip is now isn't as severe and with the introduction of Keita it will be at the point where just a CB and we'll have 2 or more really strong players for each position, something we haven't had in a stupid amount of time.

Jürgen's goals:

Clear to me he wanted:

LB Cover
      Salah
      Ox
      Keita
      VvD

It seemed obvious from the start that these were the only players we were being linked with, when things went quiet it wasn't that we were looking elsewhere, plan A remained plan A as he said. Now he's got 3/5 already and secured Keita (the one worth waiting for) for next season. The one major failing is obviously VvD, I'm convinced that Jürgen asked for assurances off Virgil and gave them in return, if you knock back Chelsea and Arsenal then we'll not go looking for anyone else, you're my guy so to speak. That could look foolish, naive, ignorant, he'll be called many things I've no doubt about that when it comes to this decision, some of which I think is fair but it's also extremely loyal and I'm hoping that loyalty may pay off sooner rather than later. If we get him in January also then I very much doubt, and of course hope, that we should be in crisis back there by then. We have Emre Can also who can slot in at the back if needs be but this without question will be where our frailties will show the most. 7/10

Overall a good window that could easily have been great with just one more player.

Great post. I've been quite critical of our window but the more I think about it the more I think we really looked at January where we collapsed and tried to ensure that doesn't happen again.

When Mane was at AFCON, I would have given an arm and a leg to have Oxlade available vs the options we had. Getting Robertson means that we can move Milner to the middle and suddenly we have cover for Hendo when he gets injured.

Salah looks a great signing and our attack now is full of pace and some very clever footballers with his addition.

Solanke I haven't really seen enough of if I'm honest but I'll take everyone else's word that he's a good signing, last year we were heavily reliant on Firmino up top and now that's rectified.

Just a shame we couldn't get VVD in but I think the owners deserve credit for looking at Keita, realising no matter what we weren't getting him this year and then show a bit of innovation and vision to make sure we get him next year.

Could have been better but I think we have the makings of a very, very good side that is now lacking a top GK, CB and CM and one of those is already sorted for next year.

Our attack is one of the best in Europe right now, its fearsome and I think that alone will see us win more games than not.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #38: Sep 03, 2017 07:58:12 pm
      I can't decide what mark to give it.

Positives:
      Coutinho kept
      Good additions of mostly proven quality.
      Transfer record broken on good quality players.

Negatives:
      Not enough signings. 4 is a long way short of the "10" I said we needed.
      Keita-gate. The idea of a new signing is he is available for selection, which he isn't, so imo he doesn't count as a signing until he is.
      Van Dijk-gate: Another shoddy embarrassment by the transfer committee.
      Outgoings: In a year when we needed significant increase in numbers, the squad has shrunk instead. While most who left are not first choice players, we needed them available when the games, injuries, and suspensions pile up. When it does hit the fan, we will blame tiredness, travelling, fixtures, and the FA, when it is our responsibility to have enough bodies to call upon as necessary.

So that's our lot until next summer, and I don't think we did enough. Time will tell.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #39: Sep 04, 2017 12:18:41 pm
      We needed to strengthen the spine for this season. We didn't, but given I like the players we did get, I'd give it a C.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #40: Sep 04, 2017 12:53:46 pm
      It's pretty simple. I like the players we have brought in but ultimately, we haven't addressed a major weakness and I don't think the squad has the strength in depth to handle four competitions, a very busy Christmas period and the likliehood of injuries. Hence the overall grade does not reflect the individual grades I've given the individual players.

And by the way I am a Teacher! 😀

Obviously not maths though!

No I still don't get it, you basically like all our signings, most of which address key areas, for example Salah and Robertson but because we lose a defender who hasn't played for a year and a half and CM who was getting way over the hill 2 seasons ago you give it a D??

From my POV it was a good transfer window, especially securing Keita for next year. If we had got VVD it would have been a superb A++ window.
      A lot of people are not factoring in that in addition to the signings we also have a lot of youngsters who are breaking into the first team, they have to be counted the same as signings. If you do that then we have in effect made about 8 signings this summer; Salah, Solanke, Robertson, Ox, Grujic, Woodburn, Gomez and TAA and have only lost one, Lucas who was in effect just a squad player.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #41: Sep 04, 2017 12:55:14 pm
      Which rumours mate, I haven't seen nor heard that Can would be allowed to leave,

He was looking at signing a contract back in March but Liverpool didn't want to offer him anything near what he wanted. I remember it well because many on here didn't want him to get a new contract either

His contract cropped up from here onwards if anybody feels the urge to snack on some humble pie.

https://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,46271.msg2016001.html#msg2016001
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #42: Sep 04, 2017 05:40:01 pm
      Mo Salah - Grade A

He has made a cracking start to his LFC career following an excellent pre-season with a few goals and some strong performances in both the League and Europe thus far. He is incredibly quick and with Mane on the other side it has enabled us to really stretch the pitch and I'd say we are the most dangerous tea,minnthe league in the counter with these two in the side, even more so once Phil stops crying and gets his arse back into gear.given some of the crazy transfer fees this summer he also looks pretty good value for money. He is quick and direct and has goals in his game, I'd anticipate he will get more than 15 this season and if Mane can match it on the other side we are a good season. Most importantly for me, he improves our first 11.

Dominic Solanke - Grade B-

I don't think anyone was particularly excited when he came, Chelsea reject was the overriding feeling but he had a good tournament with the England Under 20s and followed that up with a strong pre-season. He looks good in the air, he strikes a ball nicely and I like the way he drops off and links play. The fact Origi has been allowed to go out on loan I think is in large part down to Solanke. It's still early days but he looks like he can be a real player. Important he grabs the opportunity when called upon in the League Cup in a couple of weeks.

Andy Robertson - Grade B-

Could well turn out to be a B+ but we've only got the one game to go on thus far and I hadn't seen too much of him last season. Early evidence sugggests he has got a sweet left foot as shown by several delicious crosses in the Palace game. I also like the fact he doesn't just bomb on past his winger like a kamikaze pilot (Moreno anyone) instead preferring at times to simply drop, received the ball, one touch and deliver. Some more of that please Andy. I think he will eventually be the starter and he will improve our first 11.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain - Grade B

I like Ox, was happy enough to have been linked with him right from the start. Is he an out and out starter? Possibly not but he will push for a starting place in our best 11. He has had quite a few niggling injuries in his career Andy I think that this has stunted his development. If he can stay fit I think he can be a very important player. Not sure it will be in the middle of the park and reckon he will more likely be pushing Salah for game time but we've got a ton of footy to play this season so he'll get plenty of opportunities. Needs to find a bit more end product but he is quick, skilful and strong. Deffo the sort of player you need to help break down the bus parkers.

Navy Keita Grade A

Such a shame our most exciting signing won't be playing for LFC unti next season. Never the less I am chuffed to bits he will be coming. A dynamic box to box midfielder and don't we all miss having one of those. I  have to commend the club for signing him in this way, that was thinking outside of the box and I suspect we might have struggled to get him next summer had we not got the deal done.

Players Out

Lucas - Gutted because I've always loved Lucas, we don't have another player like him and there will be games this season where we will be wishing he could come on and shore things up in front of our leaky back four.

Origi - he went backwards last season so it doesn't surprise me that he has gone out on loan. With Ox coming in he has dropped down the pec,in game order in a wide role and Solanke has jumped ahead of him as a centre forward. Would have preferred him to go to an English club as a last row of the dice to prove he has it. Suspect he will be sold next summer.

Sakho - give our defensive frailties I think it is short sighted of Jürgen not to take another look at him but it isn't what it is and at least they got a decent fee for him. I'd be less bothered if we'd replaced him.

Overall Transfer Window - Grade D

Would have been an E but I'm so excited to be getting Keita so I've upped the grade. The players we have brought in should all contribute and Salah has already made a big difference. But there simply aren't enough of them, were three players short of where we should have been at the end of this window. We haven't addressed the centre half issue. A lot are pointing he finger at FSG but I think Klopp must also have had a say in the matter, the fact we weren't even linked properly to another centre half was strange. I think we also needed another centre forward, when studge gets gets injured again we are down to Firmino and Solanke and zings still seems to be a way off and had questionable quality even before he suffered two serious injuries that may have effected his pace and mobility. Like wise another centre mid although Ox may get some opportunities to show he can play there, I personally think Coutinho will play there when he stops sulking. And finally keeping Coutinho. I'm gladness we did, am sick of selling our best players and was good to stick two fingers up at Barca. Only issue is how will it affect the lads performances and are we going to see a slightly stroppy and disinterest player for the rest of the season, I suspect that might be the case. Factor in injuries, four competitions, fixture congestion over Christmas and fatigue from playing Klopps pressing game and the squad is simply too small.

Overall feeling is one of opportunity missed to really strengthen and make a push for the title and at least a quarter final spot in the Europe. My worry is that we will hit the wall in January once again and be during the failure to bring in another 2-3 players to ensure there is depth and fresh legs over Christmas and new year periods.

Let me attempt to explain the D grade.

So basically transfers in were top grades As and Bs, but transfers out and failure to sign VVD undid all the value that transfers in brought and more! And hence a D. Otherwise it's an emotional rating of D because "I simply don't like our transfers out and our failure to land VVD!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #43: Sep 04, 2017 06:40:53 pm
      Grading the players that have come in for me it is around a B at the moment with what has been seen of the players with all things considered.   We desperately needed a Central defender.  We tried but did not get the man we wanted.   Hard to say this but would not get a player if we are going to splash a lot of money for a flop.  In the last two windows we have been getting decent players that have fit well into the team/squad.  I would rather we continued on this roll than making rash decisions.  That said we should be looking the globe for a Central Defender for January.  It should be the one position on top of the list which the scouts should be working over time.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #44: Sep 05, 2017 07:13:05 am
      Scot...understanding that missing the #1 target in VVD would be a deduction and not adding more could be too but how exactly do you come up with player grades of A-B-B-B-A and come up with a D or potentially an E?

Bit harsh that isn't it? C+ maybe..B-?

That is like a professor grading a paper that is 80% correct answers but then giving the student a fail because he expected an essay to accompany all the True/False questions?

Erm !! Wasn't Mo a " Chelsea reject" ?
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #45: Sep 05, 2017 04:02:50 pm
      Erm !! Wasn't Mo a " Chelsea reject" ?

What does that have to do with anything whatsoever?

Quick Reply