Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Simon Mignolet
      12 (21.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      3 (5.4%)
      Joel Matip
      3 (5.4%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      2 (3.6%)
      Alberto Moreno
      3 (5.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (3.6%)
      Jordan Henderson
      3 (5.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (1.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      5 (8.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (14.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (10.7%)
      James Milner
      1 (1.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      7 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: Sep 13, 2017 02:32:18 pm

Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 57150 times
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Re: Manchester City 5-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #598: Sep 09, 2017 03:45:31 pm
      Am disappointed with the result and the performance, but way more pissed that after an infamous summer window where we were promised great things, that we end up talking about the same weaknesses as last season, and the season before.

Oh, and what's the story with Robertson? Think his wife was having a baba, hope everything went ok.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,564 posts | 1549 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #599: Sep 09, 2017 03:51:03 pm
      Calmed down a lot now. Here are my thoughts.

We played City away with 10 men so that result was always going to be on the menu

That said we didn't show enough character and not enough pride for the shirt

Klavan isn't good enough

It was a red card

Salah has one of the worst right-foots I've ever seen (try him down the middle)

We desperately need Clyne back to take pressure off 18-year-old Alexander-Arnold

I don't like typing Alexander-Arnold

Klopp should have rejigged things so Can does not play CB, but Lovren does

Never seen anyone so inconsistent as Wijnaldum

Thought Ox showed some good touches and passing and I hope he starts before Wijnaldum every game

Klopp bringing on Ox for his debut and Milner when we're 4-0 down at the Etihad tells me he's ruthless :D

Great teams don't lose two games in a row (Houllier)
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #600: Sep 09, 2017 03:53:59 pm
      Surely Lovrens fault for that atrocious performance at the back...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #601: Sep 09, 2017 03:55:07 pm
      Is Mane banned for the Seville game?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #602: Sep 09, 2017 03:57:41 pm

Nope. Burnley, Leicester (League cup) and Leicester
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #603: Sep 09, 2017 03:58:05 pm
      Anyone saying it was a red card can fuk off too! Mane was watching the ball the whole time and went in fully committed competing for it. No malice in that a fukn accident that's all.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #604: Sep 09, 2017 03:58:21 pm

No - it's a domestic ban unless there's been some radical change of the rules.

Should only miss two PL games. Good job we've got a pointless League Cup with Leicester in which he was never going to feature anyway.
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #605: Sep 09, 2017 03:58:59 pm
      Imo the game was lost in midfield and the first goal is a great argument for that..we got overrun and the fact that Henderson Can and Wijnaldum offer no balance did not help at all..can't help to think 'what could've been' with Coutinho in there even he's not at full speed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #606: Sep 09, 2017 03:59:17 pm
      Before i get into the game can i ask this. If mane goes for that ball with his head and clashes heads with the keeper is he sent off?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,991 posts | 241 
      Reply #607: Sep 09, 2017 04:00:06 pm
      Calmed down a lot now. Here are my thoughts.

I don't like typing Alexander-Arnold

Me thinks you have not calmed down yet, Rushie ;)
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #608: Sep 09, 2017 04:00:41 pm
      Before i get into the game can i ask this. If mane goes for that ball with his head and clashes heads with the keeper is he sent off?

No, but you don't get cards for high heads.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #609: Sep 09, 2017 04:01:37 pm
      Trents numbers for those that haven't seen them:

Defending:

Clearances 3
      Interceptions 3
      Tackles 4
      6 out of 8 duels won

Now I'm not saying he had a good game on the back of those, but at least the lad did something to stop them or tried to. He could have expected some support from his defensive midfielder couldn't he?

Furious with our midfield 3 after that. I'd drive Can to Juventus the mood I'm in right now, I'd lock Gini in at Melwood on every single away game and Henderson... oh well it's just Jordan, we'll go again "or any other positive cliche".

That's desperation there from you Luke mate let's face it he was sh*te and will be having nightmares about Mendy for a long time. The other clown Matip next to him was just as bad and to shift the blame now on the players in front of him is nonsensical.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #610: Sep 09, 2017 04:04:06 pm
      Funny how the only defence for Mignolet is during matches like these is 'It could have been 7 or 8'. Enough's been said about our defence and with merit too but Mignolet's one of them as well so he rightly should be given a going over.

Not to mention it was one of his aimless kicks that resulted in Man City getting their first goal. Always the catalyst for a sequence of errors is Simon. Just an awful awful keeper and 8 conceded in 3 matches is entirely in keeping with his ability (and the defence's)

I seriously don't know why people defend him at all.

So the F**k what if he makes saves. It's his F***ing job. Every other F***ing keeper from the conference up makes the same F***ing saves week in week out.

To argue that he's not that bad and he makes some amazing saves is just a joke.

Just think about when we play a minnow and have like 20 shots on target and people say keepers are having the game of their life because they pull off so many excellent saves.

Every single keeper is capable of making saves...

Mignolet is no different, big F***ing whoop he makes the odd save here and there.

You simply can't defend him with that, fair enough if he made saves like that every game for the whole 90 minutes then yeah ok...

But the simple matter of fact is that about half of all shots sail right F***ing past him.

Near post, right next to him, easy every day shots they all go straight F***ing past him so just on shot stopping alone he is absolute gash.

Then you have got:

Coming for crosses - to be honest you are F***ing lucky if you ever see it. If I had a pound for ever time Mignolet comes for a cross I'd probably be in the negative it's that F***ing bad he is.

Commanding his area - Absolute joke, gets pushed all over the place like a pussy and very rarely leaves his line. Even if he just come out a bit and jostled a bit and put some people off that would do.

Organisation - In my opinion he should be shouting every time we are being attacked or defending a set piece. He can see everything happening in front of him and pretty much his main focus is the ball. Defenders have to turn their back on the ball, watch attackers, track runs etc.

He should be F***ing shouting helpful instructions and organising things to help the defence.

Anticipation - What anticipation? He just stays there and watches players bare down on his goal to pick their spot. On the rare occasion he does come out he is easily beaten.

Communication - How many times have we seen him try and punch or catch a ball and end up ploughing straight into our own defenders. He can see everything around him and if he knows it's safe he should be screaming Mignolet's and just claiming the ball easily.

Distribution - No game is complete without him blasting a goalkick into touch. His kicks very rarely hit a man in red and often land us in sh*t.

On the rare occasion he gets the ball and can get us off on a quick attack... He gestures the players like a mad shouting and waving them forward and you think he is going to launch a quick counter.

But no he stops and waits for everyone including the opposition to get in place then blasts it up to no one or out of play.

Shouting - The only time you see him shout is usually after he makes one of those 50% saves he makes. This causes him to rage out like a loony at the defence for daring to let a shot at goal. It infuriates me so much.

But hey, he makes some saves 50% of the time so let's cut him some slack.

Haha absolute joke of a keeper.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #611: Sep 09, 2017 04:04:14 pm

No mate but I'm pretty sure his head is allowed to be high... it's on top of his neck after all.  :P

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #612: Sep 09, 2017 04:06:28 pm
      No, but you don't get cards for high heads.

Whats the difference in logic? Mane never took his eyes of the ball no intention to hurt the opponent. Went for the ball keeper ducked down to head the ball and the clash occurs. Is it worthy of red really? If mane goes to head that and they clash heads theres 2 men fown getting treatment a drop ball and no cards
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #613: Sep 09, 2017 04:06:55 pm
      That's desperation there from you Luke mate let's face it he was sh*te and will be having nightmares about Mendy for a long time. The other clown Matip next to him was just as bad and to shift the blame now on the players in front of him is nonsensical.

I've already said he had a nightmare, the point I was making that even in his nightmare he managed to offer some positive defensive contributions. Something that Henderson could not and that when a player is struggling as much as TAA clearly was he should expect an increased effort from his captain and DM to help him out, which he clearly didn't have.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #614: Sep 09, 2017 04:06:57 pm
      Imo the game was lost in midfield and the first goal is a great argument for that..we got overrun and the fact that Henderson Can and Wijnaldum offer no balance did not help at all..can't help to think 'what could've been' with Coutinho in there even he's not at full speed.

To be honest it was such a pathetic performance from all three that it's unfair to drop just one of them once Coutinho comes back in. Coutinho, Grujic and Woodburn could not have done a worse job if they tried - and the latter two are meant to be understudies to the three who featured today. That makes their performances even more embarrassing and I've got to say, Hendo was the player I was most disappointed with today.

My expectations for Gini and Can aren't so high because they don't have the level of seniority, let alone possession of the armband, but truth be told there was no indication of leadership from Jordan today. Bitterly disappointing and will only provide fuel to his detractors.
      Don77

• 6,635 posts | 1125 
      Reply #615: Sep 09, 2017 04:08:02 pm
      Did not see the game .... going on holiday today so just some general points that people who saw it can agree on or shoot me down on.

Klopp ... how many times does he have to get his hands burned with moreno.

Klopp ... does not matter how many attacking players he buys ... while his defence is a shambles and we lack a world class DM all will be undermined.

Klopp ... going down to 10 men against a top side ... surely as a top coach we would be able to change formation and tactics ... to dig in ... keep it tight at 1-0 and stay in the game.

Klopp ... why no robertson and why not start gomez at RB who looks ahead of TAA at the moment.

Klopp ... happy with his centre backs ... im sorry I don't agree.

Need to forget about this and move on.

A bad day at the office.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #616: Sep 09, 2017 04:09:20 pm
      I seriously don't know why people defend him at all.

So the f**k what if he makes saves. It's his f**king job. Every other f**king keeper from the conference up makes the same f**king saves week in week out.

To argue that he's not that bad and he makes some amazing saves is just a joke.

Just think about when we play a minnow and have like 20 shots on target and people say keepers are having the game of their life because they pull off so many excellent saves.

Every single keeper is capable of making saves...

Mignolet is no different, big f**king whoop he makes the odd save here and there.

You simply can't defend him with that, fair enough if he made saves like that every game for the whole 90 minutes then yeah ok...

But the simple matter of fact is that about half of all shots sail right f**king past him.

Near post, right next to him, easy every day shots they all go straight f**king past him so just on shot stopping alone he is absolute gash.

Then you have got:

Coming for crosses - to be honest you are f**king lucky if you ever see it. If I had a pound for ever time Mignolet comes for a cross I'd probably be in the negative it's that f**king bad he is.

Commanding his area - Absolute joke, gets pushed all over the place like a pussy and very rarely leaves his line. Even if he just come out a bit and jostled a bit and put some people off that would do.

Organisation - In my opinion he should be shouting every time we are being attacked or defending a set piece. He can see everything happening in front of him and pretty much his main focus is the ball. Defenders have to turn their back on the ball, watch attackers, track runs etc.

He should be f**king shouting helpful instructions and organising things to help the defence.

Anticipation - What anticipation? He just stays there and watches players bare down on his goal to pick their spot. On the rare occasion he does come out he is easily beaten.

Communication - How many times have we seen him try and punch or catch a ball and end up ploughing straight into our own defenders. He can see everything around him and if he knows it's safe he should be screaming Mignolet's and just claiming the ball easily.

Distribution - No game is complete without him blasting a goalkick into touch. His kicks very rarely hit a man in red and often land us in sh*t.

On the rare occasion he gets the ball and can get us off on a quick attack... He gestures the players like a mad shouting and waving them forward and you think he is going to launch a quick counter.

But no he stops and waits for everyone including the opposition to get in place then blasts it up to no one or out of play.

Shouting - The only time you see him shout is usually after he makes one of those 50% saves he makes. This causes him to rage out like a loony at the defence for daring to let a shot at goal. It infuriates me so much.

But hey, he makes some saves 50% of the time so let's cut him some slack.

Haha absolute joke of a keeper.

That's a charge sheet longer than Harold Shipman's. And entirely accurate. I genuinely think those who defend him are possessed by the ghost of Roy Hodgson. Methinks a few need a good exorcism to set them straight.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,628 posts | 1518 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #617: Sep 09, 2017 04:13:25 pm
      sh*t day! Bad result, weather is sh*te, girl moving into Uni, work tmoz..... my king prawns in ok sauce from the Chinese better be on F***ing point later or I'm done  :f_wah:
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #618: Sep 09, 2017 04:17:03 pm
      That's a charge sheet longer than Harold Shipman's. And entirely accurate. I genuinely think those who defend him are possessed by the ghost of Roy Hodgson. Methinks a few need a good exorcism to set them straight.

Haha they sure do. People moan about the defence (rightly so) but with a decent commanding, organizational, vocal and brave keeper the defence would drastically improve in my opinion.

Sure we need upgrades but with a better keeper we would have a better defence without upgrades.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      Reply #619: Sep 09, 2017 04:19:05 pm
      For 25 minutes were the better team easily. They score. From nothing more then a bad clearance and us being bullied in midfield. Then the red. Not game over by any stretch until...man city put a cross in and..panic. klavan bullied and they have a man standing free 6 yards from goak. Game over? Maybe but then its half time reorganise go 3  4 2 maybe? Leave 2 up to trouble them. Nope we go 3 5 1 take off salah.

Fhat defence the failure to fix it and that acceptance of defeat at 2 nil is why we wont be winning a tap this season

Pressure our players they are found wanting. We get bullied all over the park. We have 2 massive assetts out wide but nothing to break from midfield to compliment that. No goal poacher.

Great we hadnt lost in so many games but that came ceashing down today and showed some serious cracks that have been painted over.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3064 
      Reply #620: Sep 09, 2017 04:20:41 pm
      I'm assuming the votes for motm for Trent, Bertie and Ragnar are tongue in cheek......

Migs wasn't perfect but he single handedly stopped it being double figures. I've given him plenty of hammer at times but he gets my vote today.........

I'd keep Trent in for Wednesday and swap in Robbo and big Dejan for Bertie and Ragnar. 

In midfield I'd be tempted to give Chamberlain or Woodburn a run and drop one of Gini and Can - my preference would be Can. I'd keep Phil on the bench to start with - he won't be fully match fit yet.

That was so f***in' bad my wife just conned me into paying for a new bathroom.....how bad is it when paying for a new bog is the highlight of your f***in' day  :mad:

Quick Reply