Trending Topics

Next match: Sevilla v LFC [Champions League] Tue 21st Nov @ 7:45 pm
      Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán, Seville

Today is the 19th of November and on this date LFC's match record is P22 W12 D4 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Simon Mignolet
      7 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      2 (1.9%)
      Alberto Moreno
      2 (1.9%)
      Emre Can
      2 (1.9%)
      Jordan Henderson
      17 (16.5%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      57 (55.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      10 (9.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      6 (5.8%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 103

Voting closed: Sep 27, 2017 07:32:08 pm

Leicester City 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 4950 times
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 886 posts | 34 
      Re: Leicester City 2-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #630 : Sep 24, 2017 02:18:54 pm »
      It seems Migs can't do any right these days. If he doesn't come for balls in a crowded area he gets abuse, if he comes and misses he gets abuse. People seem to forget some teams in the Premier league train day in day out on those kind of tactics, to unsettle goalies, get there big lads in the box as often as they can.

We all want a world class goalie between the sticks not many of them around unfortunately. Migs is a fine goalie IMO and has bailed us out on many occasions.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,256 posts | 1467 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #631 : Sep 24, 2017 02:26:27 pm »
      It seems Migs can't do any right these days. If he doesn't come for balls in a crowded area he gets abuse, if he comes and misses he gets abuse. People seem to forget some teams in the Premier league train day in day out on those kind of tactics, to unsettle goalies, get there big lads in the box as often as they can.

We all want a world class goalie between the sticks not many of them around unfortunately. Migs is a fine goalie IMO and has bailed us out on many occasions.

He gets abuse because he should be able to come and retrieve it.

I don't get your point at all. Should he be criticised for not coming to deal with balls in a dangerous area. Yes. Should be criticised for coming and not dealing with them. Yes. In both scenarios he does wrong.

So you are saying 'he gets abuse not matter what bad decision he makes'... Well... No sh*t.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #632 : Sep 24, 2017 02:38:05 pm »
      Vardy always kicks the ball down the center. Never varies. Look at the replay and you'll see he doesn't even look at the Keeper, his head is down and he just runs up and smacks it like a toddler in the park. No thought put into it, it was a terrible penalty, and just because you clean up your own mess doesn't mean you should be commended for it. There have been penalties before that I've happily said Migs did well on but not this. This was easy.

Not one single member of that back five would get into the first team of any other Top six rival and only Matip would make their squads. Some aren't fit for purpose, others aren't ready for the first team action week-in, week-out. Until they're replaced we'll continue to be an alsoran.Yes I'm glad we won but the win showed every glaring defensive weakness we have in the side and it needs addressing in January and not excuses about how it's difficult to find players in that window.
      Now that I agree with. Not sure about Arsenal, but for sure none of the others.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,454 posts | 1814 
      Reply #633 : Sep 24, 2017 02:40:21 pm »
      Now that I agree with. Not sure about Arsenal, but for sure none of the others.

Ottamendi and Stones come to mind!

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 481 posts | 120 
      Reply #634 : Sep 24, 2017 02:45:50 pm »
      Haven't watched it yet. In Baltimore for a bachelor party. What a night! The bottom ticker of ESPN gave away the score I tried to avoid, I'll still watch when I get home. Excited to finally win there and excited to watch a win haha
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,077 posts | 2765 
      Reply #635 : Sep 24, 2017 02:49:25 pm »
      Ottamendi and Stones come to mind!

Both are better than ours IMHO, but Ottamendi is behind Kompany anyway when fit.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,454 posts | 1814 
      Reply #636 : Sep 24, 2017 02:50:49 pm »
      Both are better than ours IMHO, but Ottamendi is behind Kompany anyway when fit.

Not for me, stick them in our set up and you would see the same cock ups.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,037 posts | 711 
      Reply #637 : Sep 24, 2017 04:22:15 pm »
      Not for me, stick them in our set up and you would see the same cock ups.

True, but our problems aren't solely down to the system, personnel has to take its fair share of the blame.
      FATKOPITE10
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,191 posts | 651 
      Reply #638 : Sep 24, 2017 04:46:40 pm »
      Stones is good on the ball but a very average defender, hence pep switching to 3 cb's
      7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,499 posts | 1714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #639 : Sep 24, 2017 06:11:16 pm »
      Great we finally got back to winning ways. But, we shouldn't have to score 3 goals in order to beat Leicester!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,150 posts | 726 
      Reply #640 : Sep 24, 2017 06:36:03 pm »
      Great we finally got back to winning ways. But, we shouldn't have to score 3 goals in order to beat Leicester!

Whilst I get what you're driving at Kenny - remember they were champions this time last year AND pumped us there in Feb and the season before.

Last night we did what we needed to do.

Right now, for me, that's all that matters.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,791 posts | 1950 
      Reply #641 : Sep 24, 2017 07:13:40 pm »
      Save or not that has to be the end of mignolet.

Ward please.

Bang On Tadders.

7-King Kenny-7
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,499 posts | 1714 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #642 : Sep 24, 2017 08:18:03 pm »
      Whilst I get what you're driving at Kenny - remember they were champions this time last year AND pumped us there in Feb and the season before.

Last night we did what we needed to do.

Right now, for me, that's all that matters.

They also had the worst title defence last season in the history of the Premier League. We finished comfortably above them last season too and if we are basing on what they were at a year ago in terms of being title holders, well a year ago we were smashing Arsenal, beating Chelsea and City. In fact, we may have even been at the top or there abouts at this stage. They have also seen significant players departures that were a key part of their successful season.

Whichever way you dress it up, we should not, under any circumstances be having to score 3 goals to beat a team like Leicester.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,150 posts | 726 
      Reply #643 : Sep 24, 2017 08:26:47 pm »
      They also had the worst title defence last season in the history of the Premier League. We finished comfortably above them last season too and if we are basing on what they were at a year ago in terms of being title holders, well a year ago we were smashing Arsenal, beating Chelsea and City. In fact, we may have even been at the top or there abouts at this stage. They have also seen significant players departures that were a key part of their successful season.

Whichever way you dress it up, we should not, under any circumstances be having to score 3 goals to beat a team like Leicester.

Yep the Prem that we've never won..........they have.

Moreover during that worst ever defence they handed us our arse there.

Like I say I understand your frustrations but football is about winning matches. To do that you need to outscore the other team on ANY given night.

We did. Period.

Doesn't mean we don't still have plenty to improve on.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 886 posts | 34 
      Reply #644 : Sep 24, 2017 08:48:29 pm »
      He gets abuse because he should be able to come and retrieve it.

I don't get your point at all. Should he be criticised for not coming to deal with balls in a dangerous area. Yes. Should be criticised for coming and not dealing with them. Yes. In both scenarios he does wrong.

So you are saying 'he gets abuse not matter what bad decision he makes'... Well... No sh*t.

My point is, in every game of football you watch every player on that pitch will make a mistake in the 90 mins. Just feel Migs gets a raw deal at times. I think he is a solid keeper and I will continue to support him and he was not at fault for most things against Leicester. I get that you might not agree with me dude but don't get like that...
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,256 posts | 1467 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #645 : Sep 24, 2017 09:26:46 pm »
      My point is, in every game of football you watch every player on that pitch will make a mistake in the 90 mins. Just feel Migs gets a raw deal at times. I think he is a solid keeper and I will continue to support him and he was not at fault for most things against Leicester. I get that you might not agree with me dude but don't get like that...

If a goalkeeper makes a mistake it's far worse. It's the hardest position on the pitch for sure. That still doesn't mean he should be getting off lightly for making them.
      sore monad
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 741 posts | 108 
      Reply #646 : Sep 24, 2017 09:52:24 pm »
      Didn't see the game, only the highlights on MOTD. Obviously Migs was at fault for both their goals and the penalty ( although thank f**k he did then save that one).

Jürgen now has a big call to make. I think he made a mistake dropping Migs against Arsenal - it was always likely to undermine his confidence. Didn't really see the point in that. If he drops him again now it may well mean the end of Migs for us. I know many will be saying "thank f**k!", but the fact is we don't have a proven alternative, which is why Migs has stayed no1 despite Jürgen clearly having misgivings about him.

On the other hand, Ward looks pretty good to me and, with Migs struggling, I'd be tempted to put him in. It's a big gamble though. If he puts him in and he delivers it could give us a serious boost. If he turns out not to be up to it, then we would be in serious trouble, cos, like I say, Migs confidence may be totally shot by that point ( and, personally, I think Karius is a long shot). There'll be a lot of pressure on Ward too under those circumstances.

Big call for him.

I think I'd gamble on Ward.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,458 posts | 240 
      Reply #647 : Sep 24, 2017 11:31:57 pm »
      Didn't see the game, only the highlights on MOTD. Obviously Migs was at fault for both their goals and the penalty ( although thank f**k he did then save that one).

i think its harsh to say he was at fault for the 2nd goal. He saved a very hard shot.
      wellbuilt
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,023 posts | 134 
      Reply #648 : Sep 25, 2017 09:40:00 am »
      relief to get the three points. major concerns about our defence and defending.

we seem to give away needless fouls and free kicks and getting through our midfield is far to easy.

Firmino has been off the pace as an attacking force in recent games, courts getting sharper, Salah settling in nicely, Mings not commanding enough and at fault for the first goal and 2nd in my opinion and at fault for the pen (although he saved the poor pen)

the defence individually and as a unit is shocking, they receive the ball square on and have to take 2 touches to play it forward, they dwell on the ball and invite pressure (which they cant deal with well).

Can, Gini and Hendo - as a unit they are not good enough, teams get through them far too easy and they are all pretty non descriptive for far too long in matches
      sore monad
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 741 posts | 108 
      Reply #649 : Sep 25, 2017 12:47:07 pm »
      i think its harsh to say he was at fault for the 2nd goal. He saved a very hard shot.

Think he should have been tipping that one over the bar.

Quick Reply