Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

We need to talk about Henderson...

Read 59445 times
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Re: We need to talk about Henderson...
      Reply #391: Nov 22, 2017 12:11:08 am
      Mags and Scotia. Where are you guys?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #392: Nov 22, 2017 12:32:55 am

I said a bit in the match thread that I didn't catch the game because of work however I've read the match report, watched highlights and looked at the stats and it looks like Henderson has had an absolute stinker of a game. No argument over this performance from me.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #393: Nov 22, 2017 12:48:53 am
      I said a bit in the match thread that I didn't catch the game because of work however I've read the match report, watched highlights and looked at the stats and it looks like Henderson has had an absolute stinker of a game. No argument over this performance from me.

The thing is though, its a regular occurrence, but some of you are just completely blinded by it.

I think it was KopiteLuke who said in the match thread that Henderson is the outfield version of Mignolet in that when you don't really need him, he's ok, his team mates can do the job for him....but when you need him most and when you rely on him and call upon him he's nowhere to be seen.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

It was a truly abysmal performance from our 'captain' tonight. Beyond embarrassing for me.

Out of curiosity, can anybody name a game where Jordan Henderson has been our stand out performer? Head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch? I genuinely can't think of any.

It would be interesting to see how many times Henderson has won the motm poll on this forum. He signed in 2011 and I'd guess its less than 5.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #394: Nov 22, 2017 01:16:40 am
      He really failed both in key instances early and late on (that touch just before they won the corner to make it 3-3, what WAS that?) and overall re our midfield being overrun for so much of the game. If Moreno is culprit #1 tonight, Hendo was 1A.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #395: Nov 22, 2017 01:52:00 am
      The thing is though, its a regular occurrence, but some of you are just completely blinded by it.

I think it was KopiteLuke who said in the match thread that Henderson is the outfield version of Mignolet in that when you don't really need him, he's ok, his team mates can do the job for him....but when you need him most and when you rely on him and call upon him he's nowhere to be seen.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

It was a truly abysmal performance from our 'captain' tonight. Beyond embarrassing for me.

Out of curiosity, can anybody name a game where Jordan Henderson has been our stand out performer? Head and shoulders above any other player on the pitch? I genuinely can't think of any.

It would be interesting to see how many times Henderson has won the motm poll on this forum. He signed in 2011 and I'd guess its less than 5.

Not disciplined enough to play deep. Not willing to play the ball with any sort of imagination near enough.

How many times did he leave the middle of the pitch wide open to close down someone who pulled him out of position? Just hold your F***ing position and be the base of our midfield as you're supposed to be.

Rubbish. Nzonzi was better than he was and got subbed at half time.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #396: Nov 22, 2017 07:13:57 am

Midfield was poor all game - him as much as anyone.

But that wasn’t why we failed to win. We failed to win because of two shockers from Bertie.

Thereafter we defended relatively well under intense pressure.

Don’t you worry about my support for LFC little bird ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #397: Nov 22, 2017 08:30:50 am
      Not a big fan of Hendo in this position at all. When he was more advanced he was twice the player and I know that isn't good enough for some but he was, and is, better than this. Had exceptional assist stats and his energy on the press used to be quality.

Judging him in this position I'd say without doubt we should have better there but he isn't as bad as some are making out. For me it's all about where he is playing.

Last night was awful, though. The game completely passed him by and when he was called upon it wasn't good enough by  miles.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #398: Nov 22, 2017 08:58:03 am
      He's not as bad as some make him out.

The definition of averageness is Henderson, so for a team looking to go places and win things he should be a squad player at best.

We have seen he can't play the DM role, he is more suited to the No 8 role but like Milner his first touch and ability to turn on the spin in tight spaces are non existent.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #399: Nov 22, 2017 09:53:34 am
      He will probably score against Chelsea

Sh*t tonight and just not good enough for us but have a gut feeling he will score on Saturday.

We can certainly guarantee he will start, I wonder just how bad he has to become for Klopp to drop him?
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #400: Nov 22, 2017 11:00:03 am
      Hendo is never top material...Bellow average player with limited skills. Really hope, he will be getting less and less minutes with Keita arriving.

I would rather play any other midfielder.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #401: Nov 22, 2017 11:04:57 am
      Midfield was poor all game - him as much as anyone.

But that wasn’t why we failed to win. We failed to win because of two shockers from Bertie.

Thereafter we defended relatively well under intense pressure.

Don’t you worry about my support for LFC little bird ;)

hmm, also remember that Can came on for Couts, that wasn't because Couts wasn't good but because Henderson needed all th ehelp he could get defensively. In hindsight Klopp should have settled for 3-0 and made those changes at half time but no one could have predicted Bertie reverting to his old self and the change in that Sevilla team. If they need to have their manager tell them he's got cancer before they put in a performance then I'd be very bloody worried as a fan!
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #402: Nov 22, 2017 12:59:03 pm
      We can certainly guarantee he will start, I wonder just how bad he has to become for Klopp to drop him?

Mate, look at Mignolet & Lovren.

Singlehandedly the result of major mistakes in virtually every game they play yet they are still racking up minutes like they're Buffon and Maldini.

Think you'll be waiting a good while for Henderson to be dropped.

In fact there is probably more chance of me getting a game up front replacing Salah.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #403: Nov 22, 2017 02:03:17 pm
      Players like Lovren and Hendo are becoming hated. They should go somewhere thry can be appreciated like Sunderland or West Ham...etc
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #404: Nov 22, 2017 02:17:12 pm
      Players like Lovren and Hendo are becoming hated. They should go somewhere thry can be appreciated like Sunderland or West Ham...etc

Same with posters bird-dog......
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #405: Nov 22, 2017 09:58:48 pm
      Klopp has got to make the biggest decision of his Liverpool career and not only drop Henderson but replace him. I’ve always been a fan of Hendo but don’t know if it’s the injuries or confidence or weight of the armband but he’s not been up to it for a long time now. Even if he’s gone in the summer Can should be the sitter with Hendo competing with Gini
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #406: Nov 22, 2017 10:21:47 pm

Not technically true because we were winning when he went off.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #407: Nov 22, 2017 10:37:50 pm
      Just as a comparison, this is what we're getting next season:

https://twitter.com/LFCData/status/933428776150630407

Now that is what a midfielder's stats should look like!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #408: Nov 22, 2017 10:41:51 pm

You sure that is legit? Looks like Gerrard's stats during his peak years :D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #409: Nov 22, 2017 10:42:30 pm

Hope he isn't wasted as the new DM ideally he should replace Gini as our No 8
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #410: Nov 22, 2017 11:16:16 pm
      You sure that is legit? Looks like Gerrard's stats during his peak years :D

Can't say I actually verified it mate but I've seen enough of him to know that's probably accurate.

Hope he isn't wasted as the new DM ideally he should replace Gini as our No 8

Yeah he is box-to-box and I think he is coming in to replace Gini/Can to be honest but what he'll bring from that position is the quality in both halves of the pitch.

I remember describing in when we were first linked and a quite a few suggested he sounded too good to be true and honestly he'll absolutely transform our midfield. If we got him and Jorginho (someone I know PM absolutely raves about) then our midfield would start to look something like our attack, which really would be frightening for 99% of teams.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #411: Nov 22, 2017 11:23:52 pm
      Can't say I actually verified it mate but I've seen enough of him to know that's probably accurate.

Yeah he is box-to-box and I think he is coming in to replace Gini/Can to be honest but what he'll bring from that position is the quality in both halves of the pitch.

I remember describing in when we were first linked and a quite a few suggested he sounded too good to be true and honestly he'll absolutely transform our midfield. If we got him and Jorginho (someone I know PM absolutely raves about) then our midfield would start to look something like our attack, which really would be frightening for 99% of teams.

Fully agree a Jorginho or Wiegl would completely transform the team.
      JackSparrow
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #412: Nov 23, 2017 09:00:38 am
      When we use Henderson the whole team loses some kind of standard. He's the anti-captain.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #413: Nov 23, 2017 09:33:10 am
      When we use Henderson the whole team loses some kind of standard. He's the anti-captain.

If it were that simple, if only!!

Quick Reply