Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

Lovren voted Player of the Month for October - thoughts?

Read 4562 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Lovren voted Player of the Month for October - thoughts?
      Nov 03, 2017 12:19:08 am
      Liverpool fans have voted Dejan Lovren as the club’s joint player of the month for October after the defender received abuse on social media.

Lovren will share the award with Mohamed Salah after they both received 33 per cent of the votes from the open poll on the club's website.

The Croatian has come in for criticism this season and was substituted after 31 minutes in the 4-1 defeat to Tottenham last month after he was at fault for Spurs' first two goals inside the opening 12 minutes.

Interested in people's opinion on this.  Seems that there has been some sort of social media campaign to give him - I don't know the word for it - something between sympathy/support?

My gut feeling is that quite clearly, by any measure of performance, he obviously wasn't our player of the month.  But then I can understand the reason why people have tried to give off the vibe of 'YNWA'.

So I'm on the fence a bit (although if I had bothered to vote I probably would have voted for Salah)
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,409 posts | 3406 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: Lovren voted Player of the Month for October - thoughts?
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2017 12:30:24 am
      Not a big deal in my book, the bigger point of standing up against morons like the guy who sent the threats outweighs the obvious negatives
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,009 posts | 3352 
      Reply #2: Nov 03, 2017 12:42:18 am
      It's a joke on all parts.

It's a joke that he's won it because he's been F***ing useless over the past month. And it's a joke that we have to "vote" for him just because of the sh*t he's recieved. And it's a joke that he's recieved the level of sh*t he has, football is just a game at the end of the day.

Though admittedly I think it's more a PR stunt from the club because I don't believe any of these public votes are ever voted for and instead just get given to somebody by the organisers - same as those telly talent shows.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,631 posts | 6940 
      Reply #3: Nov 03, 2017 12:47:12 am
      Though admittedly I think it's more a PR stunt from the club because I don't believe any of these public votes are ever voted for

I am really interested now how the Liverpool PR machine is going to play this.  I'd imagine a picture of Salah next to Lovren holding the award is going to be both alarmingly amusing and cringey at the same time.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #4: Nov 03, 2017 12:57:21 am
      Liverpool fans have voted Dejan Lovren as the club’s joint player of the month for October after the defender received abuse on social media.

Lovren will share the award with Mohamed Salah after they both received 33 per cent of the votes from the open poll on the club's website.

The Croatian has come in for criticism this season and was substituted after 31 minutes in the 4-1 defeat to Tottenham last month after he was at fault for Spurs' first two goals inside the opening 12 minutes.

Interested in people's opinion on this.  Seems that there has been some sort of social media campaign to give him - I don't know the word for it - something between sympathy/support?

My gut feeling is that quite clearly, by any measure of performance, he obviously wasn't our player of the month.  But then I can understand the reason why people have tried to give off the vibe of 'YNWA'.

So I'm on the fence a bit (although if I had bothered to vote I probably would have voted for Salah)
      What a strange outcome, however if it's not a manipulated fix then it shows the power of social media.

Salah a clear winner in my mind.

RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #5: Nov 03, 2017 01:01:41 am
      Embarrassing but not really too bothered. Does anyone actually pay attention to this kind of stuff?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #6: Nov 03, 2017 01:08:06 am
      Too much in my opinion. For sure - it's nasty for anyone to receive threats over the internet from some sociopath but to create headlines of 'rallying around' someone over the matter seems exaggerated at best and trivial at worst in that there are so many of us out there facing far far greater challenges in life of which nothing is known about or indeed little support is given.

Is this a trend? Somehow the very privileged world that Premier League footballers live in has become saturated with overblown incidents of 'support' - the Man City players wearing 'Gundogan' t shirts from last season being another, even more pathetic, example. And I think on this evidence the fans are being sucked into such corny and downright trivial stunts. I'm not saying they shouldn't receive any support  from us but these very public shows in rallying around certain individuals for incidents that don't need a 'rally' just highlights a bizarre and undeserved pedestal that we think (and they themselves think) they upon. Some of our players in recent years alone have endured far far worse. Remember Brad Jones awful tragedy in losing his son through leukemia? Those are the moments that matter - those are the moments to rally around and support our players.

For this? I don't think so.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Nov 03, 2017 07:33:45 am
      What is this a F***ing participation award now.

If he wants player of the month he can earn it on the pitch. Moronic campaign, no way he will keep that award, if I were him it would be going right in the bin. He will know himself he hasn't earned it the right way
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #8: Nov 03, 2017 07:48:42 am
      Small time.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #9: Nov 03, 2017 07:51:13 am
      Player of the month should be based on football ability,nothing more and nothing less. Lovren has certainly not earned this accolade with his displays in October.It is tantamount to kids playing football and everyone of them being winners,even though one side might of been beaten by 7 or 6 goals.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,438 posts | 4582 
      Reply #10: Nov 03, 2017 07:54:15 am
      Setting a poor example of being rewarded for poor performances..

I understand the need to show solidarity to the player but not at the cost of a player actually deserving the recognition..,
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Nov 03, 2017 08:03:27 am
      Setting a poor example of being rewarded for poor performances..

I understand the need to show solidarity to the player but not at the cost of a player actually deserving the recognition..,

Well if the club are savvy they'll recognise the outpouring of support and adapt accordingly.

I get the need of people to show 'we're not the same and we're not one of him' after the death threats, this probably isn't the right way of doing it but as a symbol and a one off I've no issue.

As you say though, Salah should not lose out his recognition because of it, otherwise it is a little counter-productive.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Nov 03, 2017 08:07:37 am
      It doesn't bother me in the slightest, really. I'd guess the majority of votes could be from a younger generation? Do many people have the time to sift through all the adverts and stuff on the official site to spend time voting on these things? Maybe that's just me.

The fundamental issue here is that it comes off as very patronising towards Lovren himself. The fact we're talking about a player of the month award in this fashion means it's not for the right reasons - for being boss.

Lovren has had a hard time lately, yes. But to publicly patronise him, won't do his pride or ego any good.

Mistake, for me.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #13: Nov 03, 2017 08:27:46 am
      If you were Lovern how would you feel? Knowing you were muck all month but getting a sympathy vote.

I understand the idea but its a bit  super fanish. He doesnt deserve it hell know it and its deprived a deserving player of the award.

Not for me
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #14: Nov 03, 2017 08:42:50 am
      Some of the vile comments and threats to Lovren is totally out of order.

Sympathy is fine but I (obviously) disagree with this voting.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2017 10:41:24 am by RobieSlick »
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #15: Nov 03, 2017 08:52:21 am
      If you were Lovern how would you feel? Knowing you were muck all month but getting a sympathy vote.

I understand the idea but its a bit  super fanish. He doesnt deserve it hell know it and its deprived a deserving player of the award.

Not for me

See this is the thing Bri, if Lovren takes it as anything other than a support vote and a 'we're with you' then that's his problem and is more an insight into his psyche.

Personally, I see the childish death threats of a man hidden behind a computer pretty pathetic and don't think there's a need or really the empowerment this will give those that do send death threats. Expecting such a response after one idiot's behaviour is what will happen now in their minds.

However I also understand it from our supporters minds that they want to distance themselves from the minority and show this little muppet that he stands on his own, not together with the rest of us. So there's merit in what has been done here, it's down to both Lovren and the club to use this show of support and solidarity in the way it's been offered.

I'd make Lovren give Salah the player of the month award while acknowledging the show of support.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16: Nov 03, 2017 09:14:27 am
      In effect and as a reflection of anything football related it is a meaningless gesture.

With regard to giving Lovren the backing and whole hearted support of the club and every right-minded supporter, not only of Liverpool but every club, it is a magnificent response to probably an individual  with psychological issues.
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #17: Nov 03, 2017 09:21:48 am
      Are you seriously telling me that of all the votes they received the exact same number?

Like 34,457 each not one different
      Kopite78
      Reply #18: Nov 03, 2017 09:48:06 am
      I never vote in  these player of the month things to be honest but it makes a bit of a mockery of it

I'd much prefer we just sing his name for the next couple of home games to show our support.
      He will be there even if he's not playing.

Giving him player of the month is just a bit wool not showing him he's one of us
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,223 posts | 2805 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #19: Nov 03, 2017 09:56:00 am
      See this is the thing Bri, if Lovren takes it as anything other than a support vote and a 'we're with you' then that's his problem and is more an insight into his psyche.

Personally, I see the childish death threats of a man hidden behind a computer pretty pathetic and don't think there's a need or really the empowerment this will give those that do send death threats. Expecting such a response after one idiot's behaviour is what will happen now in their minds.

However I also understand it from our supporters minds that they want to distance themselves from the minority and show this little muppet that he stands on his own, not together with the rest of us. So there's merit in what has been done here, it's down to both Lovren and the club to use this show of support and solidarity in the way it's been offered.

I'd make Lovren give Salah the player of the month award while acknowledging the show of support.

Its the lowest act hiding behind a screen like that no question. But their is a lot of ways to show support to Lovern other than this.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #20: Nov 03, 2017 11:26:48 am
      I find this very patronising towards Lovren.

I don't excuse the abuse he has received online but the club should support him behind closed doors instead of putting him back in the spotlight by saying everybody knows you're sh*t but here is a shiny trophy because some people have been nasty to you.

The club should have given him some time off, maybe a week or two, and supported the authorities dealing with the matter. If the culprit(s) were found then the club should have imposed a stadium ban on top of whatever action the police may take.

To award him 'player of the month' is wrong though because he has been by far the shittest player of the month.

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,160 posts | 1092 
      Reply #21: Nov 03, 2017 12:01:14 pm
      Lovern will try to defend the idea that this is a bad decision. However, he will somehow F#ck it up as his defensive skills SUCK!!!

I'll se myself out xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,168 posts | 8548 
      Reply #22: Nov 03, 2017 12:29:40 pm
      Honest opinion the whole F***ing thing is embarrassing. Best response to the whole b***ard incident would of been Lovren calling out the little gobs***e in the first place. Something along the lines of "you couldn't murder a roast dinner nevermind an actual human" and the f**ker would of been stumped.

Those that voted for the award need to stop acting like cringeworthy cu*ts.

And hopefully Lovren passes the award on to Salah, who actually deserves to be ourr player of the month.

Quick Reply