Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 16th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P16 W12 D1 L3

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Sevilla?

Loris Karius
      14 (16.3%)
      Joe Gomez
      5 (5.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (1.2%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      1 (1.2%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.3%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      1 (1.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      8 (9.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      2 (2.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      47 (54.7%)
      Alberto Moreno
      4 (4.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Emre Can
      1 (1.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Voting closed: Nov 25, 2017 09:43:11 pm

Sevilla 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 37035 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Re: Sevilla 3-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #552: Nov 21, 2017 10:41:25 pm
      Yeah - because saying his interviews now look like satire after that performance really is the nadir isn't it? I know you're a big fan of Alberto's but I think you're just taking a bit personally on his behalf to be honest.

No I'm a fan of Liverpool mate. Not a fan of his performance tonight at all. He was sh*te. As were a few like but he was the shittest. But he hasn't been consistently sh*t this season. That can't be said for a lot of others.

Anyway, I didn't have to speak the way that I did so apologies.

PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #553: Nov 21, 2017 10:42:01 pm
      Shocked?

I'd be shocked if Juventus did that. Madrid. Barca. PSG.

Liverpool? Nah. Not shocked.

I'd be shocked if Burnley or Stoke did that!!

Again not shocked we did because its now in our DNA to sadly!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #554: Nov 21, 2017 10:42:06 pm
      Each to their own - I’d much rather we get through, give it our best shot and surprise people (which we’re more than capable of) than a) fail to or b) get pumped to drive signings.

Jesus fellas talk about letting your frustrations get the better of you.......

"Surprise people". That's the issue. It'd be a surprise if we went to a powerhouse and beat them.

Not exactly the level I'd like us to be.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #555: Nov 21, 2017 10:44:26 pm
      No I'm a fan of Liverpool mate. Not a fan of his performance tonight at all. He was sh*te. As were a few like but he was the shittest. But he hasn't been consistently sh*t this season. That can't be said for a lot of others.

Anyway, I didn't have to speak the way that I did so apologies.

No worries. Likewise apologies from myself.

There's a lot of negative emotion at the moment and I'm just overflowing at the seams with it.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #556: Nov 21, 2017 10:45:40 pm
      "Surprise people". That's the issue. It'd be a surprise if we went to a powerhouse and beat them.

VVD and a #6 in the January window, Robertson perhaps being better than Moreno and becoming an established player for us, and the return of Clyne? I wouldn't bet against us beating a powerhouse team if that happened :D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #557: Nov 21, 2017 10:45:41 pm

Why mate?

We’ve shown we can compete in one off games.

We’re not where I’d like us to be but the notion that a pumping or failure will do us good is alien to me.

Like I say - each to their own.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #558: Nov 21, 2017 10:47:30 pm
      Seeing how well this lot have done under the slightest pressure, I'm scared that the Spartak's game is going to give me a heart attack.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #559: Nov 21, 2017 10:48:40 pm
      Seems the support had some bother

https://twitter.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/933063851800694784

Sevilla 3 Liverpool 3: Match Review

21 November 2017 9:51 pm
      by Neil Atkinson
      SEVILLE, SPAIN - Tuesday, November 21, 2017: An exterior view of the stadium before the UEFA Champions League Group E match between Sevilla FC and Liverpool FC at the Estadio Ramón Sánchez Pizjuán. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

LIVERPOOL 0-3 ahead on 30 minutes. Fabulous. Up the Reds.

I have seen none of the goals.

I see the replay of the third in a Seville bar where they make me welcome. Drinks across the bar. A seat made available on a table. Nice people. This is important. Nice people.

The first goal I heard. I heard when outside the ground queuing to get in. We were there from about 8.25pm; me, Craig Hannan and Gareth Roberts. The match kicking off in 20 minutes but the queue massive and not moving forward. It moved sideways. The Liverpool supporters moved sideways to let police horses in.

Finally it moved, a sudden flood. Then it stopped and the Liverpool supporters self policed. Demanded pushing stop. It did. Immediately. Then we waited and waited patiently. The Champions League music started and still we queued and while agitated people were broadly patient. The game kicks off and we hear the first Liverpool goal.

There began to be movement, Liverpool 0-1, to other gates and through our gate. I pass the first police officer and then pass the first steward. The second steward asks to look in my bag and I oblige. Within it are a lot of wires.

I understand this is no barrel of laughs. The steward has no table to open my bag and go through it, he just has a quick look. He has a crowd trying to get in. He is under pressure is my point. I understand this both then and now. He wants to take my bag off me. I ask how and when and where I will get it back. He isn’t the only one under pressure — our flight takes off at 1.30am. Allowing for being kept in and getting a cab everything is already tight. I’m trying to explain this as my bag is taken off me. I see Craig’s bag is in a similar boat and I ask again.

They find me a more senior steward. This steward then finds another and she says it might take up to two hours to get mine and Craig’s bag back and they will be in gate 11. Both bags are matched away and I am without a ticket. They say they will put both our bags on the same ticket. This is unacceptable, a recipe for later chaos. I have no faith in any process here. In a snap decision I say I will not go in and keep both bags, she disappears to get them.

I see Craig and for the first time in the day I see John Gibbons. John looks a bit distressed as he shouts towards me. After the fact, I find out someone he knows has ended up being very badly treated. At the time I shout to him I am fine but the bags need sorting. He disappears up the steps. The game is well underway.

Only one bag is produced for me. Mine. This is completely counter productive. I want to make sure me, Gareth and Craig can make our plane and so I want Craig’s bag. I am trying to explain that but the stewards have had enough and start trying to force me out. Then they get the police involved. I think my body language was completely non threatening. But I’m 6ft1in and dressed wearing a bright red tracksuit top.

When being aggressively removed by one ridiculously over-zealous police officer in particular I tell him to relax. I have no Spanish but he does the opposite until it is clear his colleague does likewise. I’m going, I say. I’m going. His colleague agrees, asserts. The aggression diminishes.

Others weren’t as lucky with their police officers it seems. Everyone wants to talk fast. Anna Burgess has been stopped from entering because of her flag which she thought had been prior approved and then she has been forcibly stopped from going in.

Sam Armstrong is there and Sam is marvellousness personified but in hindsight, and if I were a proper journalist, I should have grabbed them both — and more — there and then, but we were all safe, outside the perimeter and I decided I wanted to document what happened to me quickly, neutrally, while I remember the order of events clearly and communicate to Craig et al I am not in the stadium. Those who had also been refused entry wanted to go back into the city. That option is not open to me. I have to wait to get the flight.

I am, among all this, shown a video of a supporter being ridiculously wrestled to the ground by a policeman. An act of aggression which looks outrageous.

The thing is that I’m fine. I’m in a warm bar as I type. I’m not upset as the above should confirm. All has been written before the second half has begun, has been written in that gap between the third and the second half kicking off.

My point is this — bad decisions have been made under needlessly really bad circumstances by people inadequately supported. A mentality was wrong first and foremost. Police visors were down and, it appears, from the video I saw, a man was assaulted. I was manhandled when there was no need. I saw no Liverpool stewards anywhere.

It was an absolute mess and questions should be asked and answered. My hopes are not up. Reflection is not something which authorities are good at without being made to be and I hold out no hope this will happen here. Liverpool Football Club need to support their supporters as a bare minimum.

More will come out. I’ve written down my experience here. Others will be far worse, I am certain of that.

It’s also a shame. A massive shame. Seville is marvellous, you know. It’s picturesque without being twee. It’s a terrific place, gorgeous and reasonably priced and alive. It isn’t Disneyland. I’d recommend it to anyone. Unless you are going the game.

The game. I see Sevilla’s comeback on television. They throw themselves at the second half. They scrap and battle and pull themselves into the game. The Liverpool manager makes changes to protect his footballers and good on him for that but finally the pressure breaks.

Liverpool concede late. Painful. Frustrating. This thing of ours — I shouldn’t be thinking of that but obviously I am. I am. Let’s make sure we go through top now. Win the final game.

Get home safely everyone. It goes from here.

Much love as per. Much care. Because if we don’t care who will?

The norm for playing in Spain that, expect bother from their gobs***e bizzees. Here's a little bit more, seems they got quite heavy handed with some of our travelling lot

https://twitter.com/TheHoodedClaw66/status/933070813741420544

As for the seat thing, someone should of told the lad hardly anyone sits in the seat number on the ticket at liverpool away euro games, generally just find a spec and get together with your mates. 

As for the match, another game of two halves. We did very well in the first half, looking efficiently ruthless. Second half we go and piss it away.

Agreed with Macca on commentary when he spoke of getting someone close to Banega, who basically ran that 2nd half for Sevilla.

Just need to get the job done against Spartak.
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2017 11:24:18 pm by HUYTON RED »
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #560: Nov 21, 2017 10:48:58 pm
      And if tonight’s performance doesn’t show once and for all that we need an overhaul in Midfield and Defence then I really don’t know what will.
      Moreno clearly has photos of Klopp in a compromising position because he plays like that and still gets in the team ahead of Robertson. Maybe he has pictures of Robertson too? Either way I’d be putting a transfer request in if I couldn’t get a game ahead of him.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #561: Nov 21, 2017 10:49:27 pm
      Alberto Moreno is an anagram of 'no more Alberto'.

Mad ay?

Hehehe
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #562: Nov 21, 2017 10:49:46 pm
      A blank pitch. I literally thought the tweet had failed to load there.

Understandable mate.

To me Henderson is the midfield equivalent to Mignolet. Looks at his best when he has nothing to do, when the chips are down and you need something special they manage to go in completely the opposite direction.

Has the odd 'moment' where their fans come out and pretend like they're like that consistently but the sooner we're shut of the both of them the better for our club.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,314 posts | 769 
      Reply #563: Nov 21, 2017 10:49:59 pm
      Game of two halves, to f**k up, a 3 goal lead, take's some doing. At least the fans at Anfield, are in for a real, European night, in two weeks time, against Spartak Moscow !
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,788 posts | 892 
      Reply #564: Nov 21, 2017 10:50:04 pm
      Nothing to learn from tonight. Great going forward (at times), awful across the whole team (at other times). Rinse and repeat.

If Klopp can take the plaudits for that 1st half, he has to take the slack for the 2nd half.

My stream was jumpy in that 2nd half, but it seemed that it was a constant wave of attack, attack, attack from Sevilla and we were not able to cope. I don't really get why it all changed so much.

As for that idiot commentator jibing our club and mocking our fans...  :mad: "now the Liverpool fans will know what it feels like, to see their team lose a 3 goal lead" and making out this was the Champions League final again. Nothing like it!!! He repeated the jibe 2 or 3 times. Delighted that we had blown our lead!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #565: Nov 21, 2017 10:50:08 pm
      Sadly not - If we lose to Spartak we’re out.

Won't happen, we'll get the job done at home.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,985 posts | 3061 
      Reply #566: Nov 21, 2017 10:51:33 pm

Just need to get the job done against Spartak.

Spot on HR.

The only statement - amongst an awful lot of wind and piss going round tonight - that matters.

The rest is just personal agendas.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,597 posts | 1681 
      • YNWA
      Reply #567: Nov 21, 2017 10:54:02 pm
      I think it would yes.

How many times did Stevie grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he needed to?

I'm not saying anybody in our squad is as good as Stevie but I think there are better candidates when it comes to leadership than Jordan Henderson.

Stevie was a fantastic footballer, the best of his generation, but he also did basic things well that you would expect from a captain.

For what its worth my captain would be lallana. I think he has it in him to get a boost from his team and from the crowd whether it's a crunch 50-50 tackle, some pressing chasing down the opposition, or even charging forward and having a shot, whatever it takes to get your team and the fans going.

Firmino would probably be my vice, so he would have captained the team tonight for me.

I don't see anything from Henderson. I'm sure his fan boys will still come on here and tell us how great he was tonight though.

I'd be willing to give Lallana a try. But it would be a no to Firmino just imho.
      I'm not wedded to Jordan, but whether or not people think he is the best of a bad leadership lot of not, he's certainly up there, and that says something about the squad.
      Do wish he would get stuck in more when under the cosh, a good committed/crunching tackle can lift the team, send a message. But closest we have to someone doing that is Emre, and he has one foot out the door.

Also think tho that our inability to defend properly when we need to [for years!] is more down to lack of balance (eg. weighed more to attack/no recognised defensive CM) in the side, and mistakes by defenders/keeper. We don't get put under pressure in every game - but when we do, the SAME cracks open.

One 45 mins we look like we can win the title. Next 45 we look relegation candidates. Something unbalanced there...
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,130 posts | 127 
      Reply #568: Nov 21, 2017 10:56:48 pm
      And what did he do? He addressed the situation and took off Moreno and a passenger in attack. Something he gets slated for not doing until late in the game so I'd say he was trying to contain the situation

You are putting the blame on the full back, forget that, as I was trying to say, it that has happend many times before, and we bottled it, where's the leadership, do you deny we had the game won, again?
      It was'nt just Moreno, he was the catalist, but everyone else fell apart
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #569: Nov 21, 2017 10:58:59 pm
      Won't happen, we'll get the job done...

I am pretty sure that would have been your very same words after today's 1st half of the possibility to still draw. Our team is a bad choice for predictions or bets, I tell ya.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,674 posts | 6968 
      Reply #570: Nov 21, 2017 11:00:13 pm
      The only decent thing Henderson did tonight was that boss through ball to Firmino that led to the corner for the 2nd goal.

Apart from that he was anonymous.  Only looked like we got a bit of a grip of that second half when Emre Can came on in the middle.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,846 posts | 6785 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #571: Nov 21, 2017 11:00:18 pm
      When is the last time we only had 35% possession in a game?

Completely overrun in the midfield!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,375 posts | 8624 
      Reply #572: Nov 21, 2017 11:02:20 pm
      I am pretty sure that would have been your very same words after today's 1st half of the possibility to still draw. Our team is a bad choice for predictions or bets, I tell ya.

Actually said in the other thread we'd draw this.

We're still F***ing top of the group and we'll beat the F***ing russians!!
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #573: Nov 21, 2017 11:03:10 pm
      A bold one from Graham!

Souness: "He frustrates the hell out of me, Moreno. I don't see him as a Liverpool player. He's an accident waiting to happen."
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,501 posts | 4840 
      Reply #574: Nov 21, 2017 11:03:37 pm
      Aswell as Moreno and Henderson I think Gini is getting off lightly. Thought he was none existent, too. Him and Hendo should not happen.

Quick Reply