Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Premier League to offer more televised games

Read 5689 times
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Re: Premier League to offer more televised games
      Reply #23: Feb 14, 2018 06:08:22 pm
      Instead of blaming people why not go a little bit further back and blame that tw*t Alan Sugar, he definitely dropped some inside info to sky   executives to up their bid which eventually blew ITV away. Conveniently sky winning the bid also helped him shift a load of his sh*te satellite dishes.

Didn't know that about Sugar, but not surprising. cu*ts going to c**t. At the end of the day the Sugars and Murdochs of this world are going to try and find ways to take money off you. You have to avoid if you can. The minority of people who signed up for subscription footy in the early days were unfortunately enough to make that model able to outbid the council telly and take live footy off air for the rest of us.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #24: Feb 14, 2018 06:42:08 pm
      I quite like having Sky. I have Netflix and Prime too, bit overkill.

The sky apps are absolutely atrocious but i like to have the telly in the background. I only really watch football, movie channels, news and Gold (for only fools and horses).

Netflix has a great app, I download some movies / series on my phone in the evening and I’ve got somethung to watch on my tube commute to work.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #25: Feb 14, 2018 06:42:25 pm
      Quote from sore monad
      If enough people had said no to Sky when they first started this subscription model back in the 90s we'd all be getting live footy for free on BBC and ITV. But there were enough "got to have the latest thing" dickheads to make the subscription model profitable enough to outbid the free to air alternatives, and now it costs a feckin fortune just to watch a bit of football on the telly.

Neither BBC nor ITV have the resources capable of covering football to the extent that satellites do. The upside to that, is the majority of our games are live and more fans can see us play.

We've come a very long way from hoping to catch poor quality, second half radio commentary on the BBC World Service every few weeks, to 30+ live league games on tv per season. Those of us not in the UK are not subject to the Saturday 3pm match ban either, so pretty much every Liverpool game is now available at minimal cost. Maybe the free to air channels can pick up the remaining packages, especially BBC given it will probably retain the highlights rights.

Until 1991, European Cup games were not shown live in the UK unless a British team was involved, not even the final. Now every single game from the playoffs to the final is live.

However, I don't know why sports rights still exist. Years ago Sky monopolised the market, now people have so many different ways of watching games, that it's almost irrelevant which station owns the rights anymore.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #26: Feb 14, 2018 07:41:25 pm
      Neither BBC nor ITV have the resources capable of covering football to the extent that satellites do. The upside to that, is the majority of our games are live and more fans can see us play.

We've come a very long way from hoping to catch poor quality, second half radio commentary on the BBC World Service every few weeks, to 30+ live league games on tv per season. Those of us not in the UK are not subject to the Saturday 3pm match ban either, so pretty much every Liverpool game is now available at minimal cost. Maybe the free to air channels can pick up the remaining packages, especially BBC given it will probably retain the highlights rights.

Until 1991, European Cup games were not shown live in the UK unless a British team was involved, not even the final. Now every single game from the playoffs to the final is live.

However, I don't know why sports rights still exist. Years ago Sky monopolised the market, now people have so many different ways of watching games, that it's almost irrelevant which station owns the rights anymore.

Wrong European finals were shown live, remember watching the barca - steaua final live in 86 on itv
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #27: Feb 15, 2018 12:34:19 pm
      Instead of blaming people why not go a little bit further back and blame that tw*t Alan Sugar, he definitely dropped some inside info to sky   executives to up their bid which eventually blew ITV away. Conveniently sky winning the bid also helped him shift a load of his sh*te satellite dishes.
      Ha ha , and how sh*te they were,as was most of his amstrad stuff.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #28: Feb 15, 2018 02:45:05 pm
      I reckon in about 10 years all TV will be via the Internet into the TV and you'll be able to see what you want when you want including live games.

I don't have satellite so I already get all my TV services through the internet.  And lets face it, we're probably already at the situation where you can watch any game you want - but perhaps with questionable legality! ;)

However, I don't know why sports rights still exist.

Just a vehicle to sell you other packages such as broadband.  There was a report back in October that said so far in 17/18 the average number of viewers for a Sky footy game was 819,000 viewers per match.  Bearing in mind they're paying over £10M a game.  £12 per viewer?  And don't forget they're making money.  That payment for the football is the basis of their whole model.  I assume you have to get a general entertainment package alongside Sky Sports?
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #29: Feb 15, 2018 08:43:09 pm
      I don't have satellite so I already get all my TV services through the internet.  And lets face it, we're probably already at the situation where you can watch any game you want - but perhaps with questionable legality! ;)

Just a vehicle to sell you other packages such as broadband.  There was a report back in October that said so far in 17/18 the average number of viewers for a Sky footy game was 819,000 viewers per match.  Bearing in mind they're paying over £10M a game.  £12 per viewer?  And don't forget they're making money.  That payment for the football is the basis of their whole model.  I assume you have to get a general entertainment package alongside Sky Sports?

Yeah but that's all they need JD. Monthly Skysports subscription is £30 ( or bit more?). Not all of them are going to watch every match. So they will probably get more than £12 per viewer per match if you count all their subscribers ( plus advertising on top). You would think/hope they would be losing subscribers with t'internet etc but I don't know if they are. Not enough anyway, judging by the money they are still prepared to pay.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #30: Feb 16, 2018 12:31:40 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Wrong European finals were shown live, remember watching the barca - steaua final live in 86 on itv

Probably because of Venables and/or Archibald. Finals would be shown if there was a british connection. Same way as the 1991 final was shown, as Waddle was involved. The BBC was the host broadcaster in 1992, and they had to be shown from 1993 onwards, as per the tv contract.

Quote from JD

I got Sky back at the start of the season, as their sports package was half price at the time. Also after 5 years, I was fed up of having to watch games in pubs. Putting up with poor quality coverage, silent sound levels, rival fans cheering on the opposition, and no celebrations allowed, not even for the most important goals.

It's not half price now, and I still have to head out for BT domestic games, but I'm still spending less per month on Sky than for watching an average of 4-5 games per month in pubs as before. It works out as a massive saving over the season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #31: Feb 16, 2018 05:15:12 pm
      It's not half price now, and I still have to head out for BT domestic games, but I'm still spending less per month on Sky than for watching an average of 4-5 games per month in pubs as before. It works out as a massive saving over the season.

Yeah, if you're always heading to the boozer then it probably is a saving when you put it like that. 
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #32: Feb 18, 2018 10:46:26 pm
      Yesterday saw the last Saturday 3pm ko in this year's FA Cup. In the 5th Round. Every game from now on is live on TV. It's rather different to the Hillsborough era  when every game had to start at that time. Kick offs couldn't be changed for any reason, and delayed starts for whatever reason were frowned upon.

Back to this thread, BT have lost their first pick of games. So instead of local derbies, they will have to make the best of fixtures such as West Brom v Huddersfield and Southampton v Stoke  on a Saturday lunchtime with no atmosphere in the stadium. Is that really worth paying 300m quid for?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #33: Feb 18, 2018 10:58:12 pm
      Yesterday saw the last Saturday 3pm ko in this year's FA Cup. In the 5th Round. Every game from now on is live on TV. It's rather different to the Hillsborough era  when every game had to start at that time. Kick offs couldn't be changed for any reason, and delayed starts for whatever reason were frowned upon.

Back to this thread, BT have lost their first pick of games. So instead of local derbies, they will have to make the best of fixtures such as West Brom v Huddersfield and Southampton v Stoke  on a Saturday lunchtime with no atmosphere in the stadium. Is that really worth paying 300m quid for?

Couldn't you have just said the 80s?

Imo just a little bit poorly worded!!

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #34: Jun 07, 2018 08:19:13 pm
      BT won another rights package, while Amazon video won the rights to 2 rounds  of fixtures in December.

The new deals start the season after next.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #35: Jun 07, 2018 08:21:00 pm
      BT won another rights package, while Amazon video won the rights to 2 rounds  of fixtures in December.

The new deals start the season after next.

So yet more money to watch the same amount of football.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #36: Jun 07, 2018 08:24:59 pm
      Amazon can f**k off, who is gonna subscribe just for 20 games, love boxing day football but bollocks to that
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2018 11:01:33 pm by FATKOPITE10 »
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #37: Jun 07, 2018 10:58:53 pm
      Amazon can f**k off, who is gonna subscribe just for 20 games, love boxing football but bollocks to that

Fat, let's move to Greece? We could probably rent an apartment/flat and have the football channel for cheaper that what we pay to watch football in the UK :D
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,918 posts | 281 
      Reply #38: Jun 08, 2018 01:08:36 am
      Amazon can f**k off, who is gonna subscribe just for 20 games, love boxing day football but bollocks to that

Screw Sky and BT with their monopolized, outrageously expensive monthly fees.

Amazon and on demand video streaming is the way forward. All 10 games that are on in a day shown live on a "you choose" basis - no more missing 3pm kickoffs. I only wish they had bid for more packages.

You can also have a month free Prime trial, and with the games being on Boxing Day, make the most of free shipping before Xmas.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #39: Jun 08, 2018 02:14:57 am
      Not sure Amazon are going to pick up many new subscribers with that package. If they had 20 over the season then maybe but this whole round of fixtures thing means your own club will only be on twice and you'll only be able to watch one of the 3pm's anyway so it's more like a 7/8 game package (if they spread out the games like they normally do around Boxing Day).

Think someone worked out it's more than £1000 now to watch all the televised games in the UK. Crazy.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #40: Jun 08, 2018 10:37:38 am

They've picked the December round of games and then the Boxing Day ones.

People Christmas shopping on their website, they will offer free Amazon Prime subscriptions for the month and then everyone will continue paying the £8 a month in perpetuity.

Amazon are going to rake it in through that alone - especially if they, as I assume, get highlights to all the games like all the other TV companies involved.

As for Premier League, overall money down despite more games being televised.  For the fans, they now need three subscriptions to access the 50% or so of games that are televised. £££.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #41: Jun 08, 2018 12:19:38 pm
      Screw Sky and BT with their monopolized, outrageously expensive monthly fees.

Amazon and on demand video streaming is the way forward. All 10 games that are on in a day shown live on a "you choose" basis - no more missing 3pm kickoffs. I only wish they had bid for more packages.

You can also have a month free Prime trial, and with the games being on Boxing Day, make the most of free shipping before Xmas.

Bugger off with your modern technology like telephones, cars and walkmen and video recorders,  give me a good gramophone player and etchings of ladies in the nude anyday

Quick Reply