Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228301 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #253: Jan 13, 2018 12:52:36 pm
      Aguero has a nasty habit of scoring against us, I hope VVD can put an emphatic stop to that.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #254: Jan 14, 2018 02:17:35 pm
      VvD is out apparently, with a hamstring tweak
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #255: Jan 14, 2018 02:18:35 pm
      Nightmare
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #256: Jan 14, 2018 02:40:32 pm
      VvD is out apparently, with a hamstring tweak

Thats just our luck.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #257: Jan 14, 2018 02:47:55 pm
      Arrived at the ground separately. Looks like he is out for sure then.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #258: Jan 14, 2018 02:51:15 pm
      Apparently nothing serious, just a precaution. Sucks not having him today but better not risk a more serious injury.

Virgil van Dijk set to miss Liverpool's clash with Manchester City

Virgil van Dijk is set to miss Liverpool's Premier League showdown with Manchester City at Anfield today.

The ECHO understands that the £75million centre-back has been hampered by a tight hamstring and is unlikely to be risked against the leaders.

As a result Dejan Lovren is expected to be recalled by Jürgen Klopp to start alongside Joel Matip against City.

Van Dijk's absence represents a major blow for the Reds as they look to inflict a first league defeat of the season on Pep Guardiola's side.

The Netherlands international enjoyed a dream debut for the club following his January move from Southampton when he nodded home a late winner in the FA Cup tie against Everton at Anfield last week.

However, it looks like his Premier League bow for the Reds will have to wait with Klopp unwilling to gamble on his fitness.

City haven't won at Anfield for 15 years but they will arrive on a high having established a 15-point lead at the top of the table.

Liverpool will be looking to avenge the 5-0 thrashing they suffered at the Etihad back in September when they fell apart after Sadio Mane's first-half dismissal.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/virgil-van-dijk-set-miss-14153231

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #259: Jan 14, 2018 03:59:39 pm
      Reminds me of the time I bought that Silver scorpion ball knocking about in the early 2000s and wouldn't use it incase it got scuffed.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #260: Jan 14, 2018 07:20:03 pm
      Probably Klopp kept him out on purpose to make it more interesting  ;D ;D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #261: Jan 14, 2018 07:34:55 pm
      Probably Klopp kept him out on purpose to make it more interesting  ;D ;D

Klopp hates boring football, game would have been a bit boring if VVD played and the result stayed 4-1 :P
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #262: Jan 17, 2018 04:26:34 pm
      That is one classy gesture Big V

Young Reds fan left speechless by Virgil van Dijk gesture
      James Carroll
      @James_Carroll84
      A young Liverpool supporter arrived home from school earlier this week to a special surprise gift sent to him by Virgil van Dijk.

10-year-old Rocco Daly opened a package sent from Melwood to find a home jersey personally signed by the Reds’ new No.4.

The season-ticket holder from Cheshire - who attends games with his dad – received plenty of attention on social media at the end of December when he was photographed excitedly greeting Van Dijk as he arrived at Anfield for the Leicester City game ahead of the completion of his move to the club.

On what was a whirlwind day for the Netherlands defender as he sealed the formalities of his transfer from Southampton, he did not have an opportunity to stop for his young fan as he made his way down the stadium’s tunnel ahead of kick off due to his tight schedule.

However, Van Dijk asked club staff to help him track down the youngster so he could personally thank him for his support and the welcome he gave him at Anfield.

And once Rocco was identified and contact established with his family, the autographed shirt was personally dispatched from the club’s training base by the centre-back.

Rocco’s father, Jason, said: “He was absolutely gobsmacked when he got home from school and opened the package – he couldn’t believe it. I still don’t think he can.

“He was bouncing around the house all night, showing his brother and phoning his nan, his uncle and other family and friends to tell them.

“He couldn’t get to sleep that night because he was so excited, and he was still buzzing when we took him to school the next morning.

“I really think it’s an amazing gesture by Virgil. He didn’t have to do it, he didn’t have to go out of his way, but the fact he has means everything to Rocco and to me because it’s made my little lad so happy. We really can’t thank him enough.”

Rocco added: “It was the best day ever and I can’t say thank you enough to Virgil. I am going to frame it and keep it forever.”
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #263: Jan 28, 2018 03:25:04 am
      The elephant in the room for me here.

Let's face it has looked a bang average PL CB the last two games. I will put a caveat around it with the new club, team mates, surroundings etc however for the Rolls Royce money we spent he gets too many basics wrong.

Worrying for me also is I'm not seeing the pace everyone was talking about before he signed if anything looks sluggish and heavy.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #264: Jan 28, 2018 09:45:14 am
      Southampton do have a uncanny nack of getting more than what they deserve for most of their players. Yes ok, it's a selling club so you could argue  very good at their job. However, I think it's still too early to judge VVD on a couple of games. Some players adapt easier than others.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #265: Jan 28, 2018 09:50:01 am
      The elephant in the room for me here.

Let's face it has looked a bang average PL CB the last two games. I will put a caveat around it with the new club, team mates, surroundings etc however for the Rolls Royce money we spent he gets too many basics wrong.

Worrying for me also is I'm not seeing the pace everyone was talking about before he signed if anything looks sluggish and heavy.

Don’t agree re the pace mate.

Very simple last night - the CBs were out of shape compensating for both fullbacks who were utterly incompetent defensively and offered nothing going forward.

VVD and Matip were constantly in the shape without the ball they should’ve been with it - split. They both drifted into the space left by the full backs.

Unacceptable all round but the root cause was the FBs
      « Last Edit: Jan 28, 2018 11:15:53 am by Scotia »
      noggin
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,860 posts | 165 
      Reply #266: Jan 28, 2018 11:45:24 am
      The two donkeys at full back were the root of our problems last night, although it does look like Virgil is trying to be everywhere, needs stability and to trust his colleagues.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #267: Jan 28, 2018 12:02:07 pm
      Needs to step up ASAP
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #268: Jan 28, 2018 12:59:39 pm
      Should have vacated his man for 1st goal instead of letting Rodriguez run past him also on two occasions just left the ball for someone else . Early days but agree needs to step up the ante
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #269: Feb 11, 2018 08:00:47 pm
      Early days in his LFC career, but already looking like he could develop into one of our best defenders.
      Has ALL the attributes.
      Just need to find the best partner. Thought Matip did OK, tho had a few ropey moments. Expect Lovren to be back in for Porto...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #270: Feb 11, 2018 10:40:25 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #271: Feb 11, 2018 10:41:57 pm

He's boss.
      Saw the Lucas montages are up already after this. :D
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #272: Feb 11, 2018 10:43:13 pm
      Quality - straight outta the Lucas playbook.....
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #273: Feb 11, 2018 11:20:16 pm
      He will be captain next year, if he’s not, I’ll be dumbfounded.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #274: Feb 11, 2018 11:38:10 pm
      Need to find him a partner now. Matip seems to be a bargain basement version of Virgil rather than a partner. I would actually be interested to see how he goes with Klavan.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #275: Feb 12, 2018 12:27:09 am
      No surprise that this lad is quality. If we could find a partner of similar quality we'd be flying!

Quick Reply