Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 231628 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,597 posts | 2156 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread
      Reply #736: Mar 24, 2019 09:58:55 pm
      Apparently, 80/1 to win Ballon d'Or. I think it's worth a punt, especially if we win CL.

Not a bad shout that mate! would have to win it, and probably the prem too
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #737: Mar 25, 2019 08:47:45 pm
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #738: Mar 27, 2019 08:18:25 am
      Yeah, starting to see a bit of this. Seen another headline about how Gnabry ‘embarrassed’ Van Dijk before scoring their second. Anyone who has seen that clip will know how ridiculous that headline is.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,281 posts | 763 
      Reply #739: Mar 27, 2019 10:05:23 am
      I am sure he will be up to his usual standards against the spuds on Sunday. That will do for me.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #740: Mar 27, 2019 02:52:53 pm
      Yeah, starting to see a bit of this. Seen another headline about how Gnabry ‘embarrassed’ Van Dijk before scoring their second. Anyone who has seen that clip will know how ridiculous that headline is.

I saw that clip, I’m not sure how they can even consider that as what happened. Van Dijk had it under control and Gnabry wasn’t getting anywhere and pretty much ran out of options to just hit it, just happened to be one hell of a strike that he will probably never do in his career again. It was the number 22 (RB) I think it was that was at fault, he could have put the tackle in on Gnabry but completely ran past him and then came closer to blocking off Virgil than he did Gnabry. Not to mention the fact Virgil was also covering for the number 22 who was out of position.

The media are so desperate for Virgil to be taken apart.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2019 02:58:09 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #741: Mar 27, 2019 04:17:10 pm
      I saw that clip, I’m not sure how they can even consider that as what happened. Van Dijk had it under control and Gnabry wasn’t getting anywhere and pretty much ran out of options to just hit it, just happened to be one hell of a strike that he will probably never do in his career again. It was the number 22 (RB) I think it was that was at fault, he could have put the tackle in on Gnabry but completely ran past him and then came closer to blocking off Virgil than he did Gnabry. Not to mention the fact Virgil was also covering for the number 22 who was out of position.

Yeah that was my read of the situation as well, the commentators were trying to make out that Virgil was having an off day but I'd take our Defence and DM's over what Netherlands have any day of the week, especially how well organised we are.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #742: Mar 27, 2019 04:23:41 pm

Gnabry was always a good players, even when he was at Arsenal. Little wonder he ended up at Bayern... You Have to remember that VVD is not blessed with great speed, and given the torrid time he gave our Left back recently in the CL it is of little wonder he was able to give VVD such a hard time. It is football, it is how things go., and in no mean detractes from what VVD brings to LFC
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #743: Mar 27, 2019 05:29:45 pm
      You Have to remember that VVD is not blessed with great speed, and given the torrid time he gave our Left back recently in the CL it is of little wonder he was able to give VVD such a hard time.

Yes he is and I remember back when we played PSG he clocked the top speed on the pitch...a pitch that also had Salah, Mane, Mbappe and Neymar. Not forgetting that he kept pace with that Traore lad at Wolves.

To say Van Dijk isn’t blessed with pace is one thing and then to say it’s no wonder Gnabry gave him a hard time just shows you must watch very little football and that you didn’t watch the Holland vs Germany game.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #744: Mar 27, 2019 06:50:07 pm
      Yes he is and I remember back when we played PSG he clocked the top speed on the pitch...a pitch that also had Salah, Mane, Mbappe and Neymar. Not forgetting that he kept pace with that Traore lad at Wolves.

To say Van Dijk isn’t blessed with pace is one thing and then to say it’s no wonder Gnabry gave him a hard time just shows you must watch very little football and that you didn’t watch the Holland vs Germany game.

VVD doesn’t possess pace what a comedy post!
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #745: Mar 27, 2019 10:06:00 pm

In all honesty I rarely watch International unless they are playing for some sort of cups; and Yes I didn't watch that one, only wish to say in a round about way that people here should  remember that VVD is mainly about reading the game and his pace or lack of is helped by that, and his reading of the game is what makes him such a great defender
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #746: Mar 27, 2019 10:11:03 pm
      VVD doesn’t possess pace what a comedy post!
      Why...? do you think he is pacey...? It is his reading of the situation that allows him so often to get first run on a opponent
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #747: Mar 27, 2019 10:12:22 pm
      Why...? do you think he is pacey...? It is his reading of the situation that allows him so often to get first run on a opponent

What on earth are you talking about? He's rapid. Even more evident when you see him live.

And why the F**k are we judging him on an international match? Especially against a player he and the rest of the defence more or less kept in their back pocket for the entirety of the match at the Allianz a couple of weeks back bar that equaliser.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #748: Mar 27, 2019 10:21:50 pm

I saw him live against Traore of Wolves - probably the quickest player in the league and in a straight sprint he kept up with him.

So yeah he is rapid.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #749: Mar 28, 2019 11:18:06 am

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #750: Mar 28, 2019 12:00:50 pm
      The first word that springs to mind with Virgil is...........pedestrian 🙄

I’m convinced there’s some proper jobs on here that’d say anything for 15 mins of infamy. 😴
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #751: Mar 28, 2019 12:22:31 pm
      He runs when he wants....
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #752: Mar 28, 2019 01:35:55 pm
      As Eminem once quoted (more or less-ish!),  "Would the Real Donovan Ried please shut up, please shut up, please shut up......
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #753: Mar 28, 2019 05:39:59 pm
      VVD many be fast, but he is nowhere near among the top ten when it comes to pace in the premier league, and no where near top  20 in the world... Some here claim that they know more about football than others, let me tell you a little truth...
      Players are faster with out the ball at there feet than with it... So claiming that he he kept up with Traore means little unless they were running against one another with out the ball over 100 meters...

The reason I stated over 100 meters is that out of the block some people are fast over 30-40 meters then fall away, the fact that VVD may have kept pace with Traore over 10-20 does not make him rapid
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #754: Mar 28, 2019 05:51:08 pm
      Players are faster with out the ball at there feet than with it... So claiming that he he kept up with Traore means little unless they were running against one another with out the ball over 100 meters...

Yep, you really don't watch much football do you...
      Traore wasn't running with the ball, his 1 and only touch of the ball in that scenario was flicking it down the line to run onto it, him and Van Dijk both took off with the ball not being near either of them.

I agree players are quicker without the ball than with it, but at least apply it to the right scenario's.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #755: Mar 28, 2019 06:24:28 pm
      VVD many be fast, but he is nowhere near among the top ten when it comes to pace in the premier league, and no where near top  20 in the world... Some here claim that they know more about football than others, let me tell you a little truth...
      Players are faster with out the ball at there feet than with it
      ... So claiming that he he kept up with Traore means little unless they were running against one another with out the ball over 100 meters...

The reason I stated over 100 meters is that out of the block some people are fast over 30-40 meters then fall away, the fact that VVD may have kept pace with Traore over 10-20 does not make him rapid

Have a word with yourself ffs, this is no great revelation, every kid who watches or plays football knows it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #756: Mar 28, 2019 06:34:58 pm
      I think he is fast enough. He is probably also quicker in the head than most players he comes across too.
      We are very lucky to have him and with Becker behind him we the stronger pairing since Grobb and Hansen
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #757: Mar 28, 2019 08:53:03 pm
      Yep, you really don't watch much football do you...
      Traore wasn't running with the ball, his 1 and only touch of the ball in that scenario was flicking it down the line to run onto it, him and Van Dijk both took off with the ball not being near either of them.

I agree players are quicker without the ball than with it, but at least apply it to the right scenario's.

It has nothing to do with the amount of football I watch..,

Over what distance were they running...?

I ran 100m for Berkshire and the south of England while at School, I was slow out of the blocks and would often be down over the first 20-25 meters or so, 40-45m level and come the 60 meter mark I would be in front and often be drawing away...
      As in football the distances  traveled when chasing the ball is short, and you can only begin to judge some ones pace over 40 meters or so i.e. If they had ran from the half way line to  lets say about level with the penalty spot outside the goal area and he had kept level with him...

Another example Is Peter Crouch he would out pace most players over the first 10 or 15 meters due to his stride, are you sure that you are not witnessing this in VVD...?
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #758: Mar 28, 2019 08:57:38 pm
      I think he is fast enough. He is probably also quicker in the head than most players he comes across too.
      We are very lucky to have him and with Becker behind him we the stronger pairing since Grobb and Hansen
      Mate If read my original post I was say just because others were saying he had a hard time it takes nothing away from how good he is and how good he reads the game... Most defenders are going too find attackers paces, but the good ones, the real good ones find away to deal with them and negate that pace

Quick Reply