Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Half way in - what would a successful 2017/18 look like for you?

Read 7811 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Half way in - what would a successful 2017/18 look like for you?
      Dec 28, 2017 10:44:30 pm
      Qualifying for the Champions League again, preferably in the top three rather than top 4 would really be a sign that last year was no fluke or false dawn like we've had a couple of times in the last decade.  I'd take that in regards to the league.

We're 6 points down on last years pretty impressive points tally at this stage.  We ended up on 76 points.  I'm not sure whether we're going to improve on that but if we're 70+ then we've had a better second half of the season than last year.

And in the Champions League, I do think us getting to the last 8 would be a mini-achievement in itself given our last few attempts at it.

FA Cup is totally unpredictable.  Would be brilliant to get some silverware back but you have to have some fortune in terms of the opposition along the way.  I'd sacrifice say 2nd in the league for 4th to win it, but I don't think I'd sacrifice 4th for 5th.

Maybe I'm setting the bar too low but I'd say last 8 Champions League, 72+ points and inside the top 4 probably would be a good campaign from here?
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Half way in - what would a successful 2017/18 look like for you?
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2017 11:05:19 pm
      Successful would be FA Cup winners, semi-finalist of the Champions League and 2nd place, which is double on points right now. Bear minimum would be 4th and reaching quarter finals of the Champions League. Side question: Does Klopp need to win a cup with it being his third year in charge and given his record with them?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2017 11:16:05 pm
      If you're talking 'decent' then factoring in the poor summer transfer window and the iffy start to the season (until after the Spurs game) I'd say top four (all four go straight into the group stage so not arsed which position really). In terms of Champions League, I'd say beat Porto and see where that takes us - we've not got that much European experience in the squad so whilst on our day we could probably beat anyone there's just as much chance of a decent team teaching us a lesson.

In terms of 'successful' I'd say you've got to be looking at winning the FA Cup in addition to above.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2017 11:19:18 pm
      Comfortable top 4 position, a hearty showing in the Champions League and FA Cup Final and youā€™ll get no complaints from me... winning one of the cups and a top 4 and Iā€™d be very pleased.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2017 11:50:52 pm
      Finishing 2nd in the league, lifting the FA Cup & Champions League trophies..

All 3 achievable...
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2017 01:28:38 am
      Comfortable top 4 position, a hearty showing in the Champions League and FA Cup Final and youā€™ll get no complaints from me... winning one of the cups and a top 4 and Iā€™d be very pleased.

So don't win the title, don't win the Champions League and don't win the only remaining domestic cup competition we're in and you won't complain? I'm not getting at you fella but this above anything else shows how dumbed down supporter expectations have become. This would have been unthinkable even just ten years ago.
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 662 posts | 85 
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2017 01:31:18 am
      Old Big Ears No 6 for me
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2017 01:35:43 am
      Premier League winners. That's all. Seeing as impossible now, CL winners will do, failing that a 4th place finish.

FA Cup isn't as important to me.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #8: Dec 29, 2017 03:13:54 am
      Wildly unrealistic targets for a 'successful' season on here.

2nd in the league and win the FA cup and semi in CL. CL winners, prem winners... F**k me I'd be very happy with a 4th place finish again and we can keep slowly building. FA cup would be nice and last 8 of the CL should be achieveable too.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic though
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #9: Dec 29, 2017 03:47:40 am
      I'd bite your hand off for top four and the FA cup.

We need some silverware. It's getting a bit cringey all this 'laughing at Everton since 95' when we've only won a league cup in the last 10/11 years.

Top four is the priority though so we can rebuild again in the summer. We can attract a different calibre of player now that we're back in the CL - salah, Keita, VVD etc. Qualify for the CL again and I expect some top additions to go with those three and I expect us to challenge on all fronts next season.
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #10: Dec 29, 2017 04:47:10 am
      Top 3, CL Quarter-Finals and I would really like us to lift the FA Cup.

But most important thing, a good run... no more silly draws while we could win comfortably. Klopp needs to improve.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #11: Dec 29, 2017 05:02:33 am
      No silverware = No success, that will never change for me.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #12: Dec 29, 2017 05:33:53 am
      Top 4 is crucial this year in terms of building for the future and getting back to a position of competing regularly.

Would be very disappointed if we didnā€™t make the last 8 of CL, given the draw.

Whilst I think 2nd place in the league is achievable, is swap it in a heartbeat to win the FA Cup and finish 4th, we really do need to take that step of winning some trophies after losing finals since 2012.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #13: Dec 29, 2017 05:45:20 am
      So don't win the title, don't win the Champions League and don't win the only remaining domestic cup competition we're in and you won't complain? I'm not getting at you fella but this above anything else shows how dumbed down supporter expectations have become. This would have been unthinkable even just ten years ago.

Thatā€™s why I said Iā€™d be very happy with winning one...  :laugh:

But Iā€™m realistic to know that a comfortable top 4 entry, also the fact it being two years on the trot weā€™d qualify (stability) and good showing in the CL is a step in the right direction compared to our usual struggles missing out on top 4 the season after getting it, while also CL performances were poor... so yeah I wouldnā€™t complain, totally happy? No, but Iā€™m not blind to the improvement...

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #14: Dec 29, 2017 06:12:52 am
      Wildly unrealistic targets for a 'successful' season on here.

2nd in the league and win the FA cup and semi in CL. CL winners, prem winners... F**k me I'd be very happy with a 4th place finish again and we can keep slowly building. FA cup would be nice and last 8 of the CL should be achieveable too.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic though

About where I'm at. I think we should be aiming top three as it is certainly there, especially if VvD does help stabilise the defence and shore up a few of those games we've dropped points in. Title is unrealistic for anyone but City, but 2nd is certainly there. I would say 4th and a decent CL & FA Cup run is acceptable, 2nd with any form of silverware would be above expectation with the fact the league is City's to lose.

I do believe we are as good of a shout as any for Europe, just with that forward line humming we can score against anyone we want... tt's keeping the goals out at the other end :D I'm very F***ing excited for the knockout stage though, bring it the F**k on.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #15: Dec 29, 2017 09:03:22 am
      A trophy and 2nd in the league.

I think both are very achievable.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #16: Dec 29, 2017 09:24:04 am
      Big ears number 6
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2017 09:26:34 am
      Success is pots.

Real progress is top 4 and at least a semi in European Cup.

ā€œSteadyā€ progress is top 4 again. First time 2 years in row since 2009.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #18: Dec 29, 2017 09:45:30 am
      Come on. Last 8 of the Champions League isn't just "achievable", we were quite lucky with the draw considering who we could have faced there, and now we *have* to beat Porto as we're a much stronger team. Make no mistake, FCP are a decent side with a relatively strong starting XI, but they got no answer to our Coutinho, Salah, Firmino etc.

So I'd say UCL quarter finals as a minimum, and then who knows, if we're on a good run by then, and maybe with a bit of luck in the draw, we could go all the way.

In the league, I just want to qualify for the UCL again. I know there's a difference between 2nd and 4th, but I'm not too bothered in all honesty. Top 3 would be preferable so we avoid the qualifying rounds, but as long as we're in it, that's the most important thing.

Staying in the Champions League for a sustained period of time is absolutely crucial if we want to sustain and then increase our level of spending and continue to build up our squad.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2017 09:56:40 am
      Top 4, good run in the CL and a good run in the FA cup will show that we are truly moving forward.

I'm actually more optimistic about next season because we will have a better team, especially that we signed a super star in the making in Keita and hopefully we sign Goretzka and a good GK.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,438 posts | 1463 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #20: Dec 29, 2017 10:08:31 am

ā€œSteadyā€ progress is top 4 again. First time 2 years in row since 2009.

This is basically how Iā€™m seeing this season... sure Iā€™ll be happy if we win one of the cups, but Iā€™d say as long as we show heart and donā€™t whimper out of them, especially CL, but again get top 4, more comfortably than last year, then I wonā€™t complain because like I said above it shows we have got a bit more stability to us... and with the signings coming in I expect us to be a force next season!

I still reckon we can get a cup this season though, funnily enough, I feel the CL is the one we have a better chance in...
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #21: Dec 29, 2017 10:16:46 am
      Finish ahead of United.
      Win the FA Cup.
      Win the Champions League.
      ;)
      « Last Edit: Dec 29, 2017 10:28:47 am by racerx34 »
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #22: Dec 29, 2017 10:18:18 am
      Staying in the top 4 would be realistic now for the rest of the season, VVD purchase will help us achieve that. Would be nice to get some silverware so the FA cup is our only chance of that and a decent run in the Champions league. Would also like to see the Scum buckle under the pressure and we claim 2nd or 3rd place in may.

Quick Reply