Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Half way in - what would a successful 2017/18 look like for you?

Read 7768 times
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Re: Half way in - what would a successful 2017/18 look like for you?
      Reply #46: Dec 30, 2017 07:31:59 am
      Top 3 in the league, semi-finals of the CL and winning the FA Cup.

League - can't win it and we're giving a small lead up to the other two above us so if we can overtake one of them then I'd take it. That'd also mean avoiding a late heart-wrenching run like last season to confirm our spot in the top four. Next year there is a genuine opportunity to jump above both those sides - with the right investment - and it would be a good 'signal' to the rest of Europe to demonstrate that to recruits.

CL - couldn't have asked for a better group and opponent in the first knockout stage. A quarter-final berth is the minimum to expect and can't be considered a success at this point if we were to only beat Porto because in all honesty, we should. Comfortably.

FA Cup - I want to win something.

I think I'm about the same, with similar reasoning.

I think we're arguably as good as Chelsea and United over a season and I'd like to finish above at least one of them. I think we're a better side than Spurs, who are massively overrated, and Arsenal. United are there for the taking especially!

If we can find our way past Porto, I don't think anyone would actively 'want' to draw us and we've it in us to play two really high level, high energy games to go through.

FA Cup is a serious option for us, I'm fed up being used to winning f**k all.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017 07:37:28 am by KS67 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #47: Dec 30, 2017 07:57:29 am
      Successful would be
      1) League Title or
      2) Champion’s League Title or
      3) FA Cup and qualify for CL next year.

Has to be hardware.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,474 posts | 701 
      Reply #48: Dec 30, 2017 08:12:29 am
      So FAR

Grand scheme

• We've lost 2 league games (so far). 1 was a freak of nature with an unfair sending off. The other was a BAD performance with many individual errors.

We've also drawn far to many from winning positions.

Man City have been unstoppable.

End of Season

• A good end to the season would be Top 4 and a trophy.
        A great end to the season would be top 4 a trophy, keep Coutinho and get a new goalkeeper.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017 04:55:15 pm by PastorGeek »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #49: Dec 30, 2017 11:24:20 am
      Finishing 2nd and winning the FA Cup would be good progress for me.

We're easily the second best side in the league so I hope we transfer that into the final league position.

I do have a feeling though we might do something in the CL and wouldn't be surprised if we end up in the final.

I've been thinking the same thing about the CL for awhile now. There are some very strong teams in it, don't get me wrong, but I just have a feeling that we are playing such a phenomenal brand of attacking football that we will take many teams by surprise.

We are the second-best team in the league - I agree with that, too. I think that with us shoring up our defence with VVD, we can only get a better points-per-game ratio, too. That means overtaking Chelsea and United, but we would never have any chance of catching City so I'd happily settle for second at this moment in time.

The FA Cup is too unpredictable, but I definitely wouldn't say no to winning that and top four.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #50: Dec 30, 2017 12:48:14 pm
      For a season to be successful in the eyes of most fans demands something more than just 'progress.' Heard that word for 27 seasons, now. Progress towards what?  Progress starts by winning something shiny.

We reached two finals last season (but one) and missed out, so any trophy win would be a start, and I think we NEED it psychologically, as fans and as a club.
      BUT...
      For us to catch City would need them to drop 20+ points (e.g. 4 defeats and 4 draws) and us to drop NONE for the rest of the season, so we can count out winning the League.

I agree that CL looks eminently possible this season, but we'll need to learn to manage games much better than we do now, or the CL's usual suspects will manage us out of it.

FA cup is a lottery for the likes of us because we don't prioritise it and our weakened side is always prone to tripping over a crap team from some forgotten corner of hell.

League Carabou? Cup has gone.

4th place?  We should have that as bread and butter if we keep our form up.  Absolute minimum expectation.

So for me its CL or bust.  Get to the final and make Europe sit up and take notice, maybe even, dare I say it, ...!
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Reply #51: Dec 30, 2017 08:29:43 pm
      I can't see us getting even close to winning the Champions League. Defensively we are still very poor and it would require an extraordinary amount of luck for us to even get close to the final. We had a piss-easy group and still made very hard work of getting out of it.

The FA Cup is do-able for us but we have yet to play the 3rd round yet!

Realistically, I can't see us winning anything this season simply because of our defence. It's the reason Leicester dumped us out of the League Cup. Top 4 will do for me.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #52: Dec 30, 2017 10:03:34 pm
      I want and expect:
      3rd in premier league
      Last 8 of champions league
      FA cup winners.

Then come the summer transfer window:
      A new keeper
      A defensive midfielder
      A new striker to back up Bobby
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #53: Dec 31, 2017 12:29:42 am
      I'll be satisfied if we finish top 4 and above Utd.  Win the FA Cup or CL on top of that and it would be a big success. 
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2017 02:13:54 am by harrydunn08 »
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #54: Dec 31, 2017 02:16:25 pm
      I would settle for Champions League semi-finals.  Learning how to shut games down and keeping clean sheets, the rest will follow.

YNWA
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #55: Dec 31, 2017 02:30:42 pm
      I would settle for Champions League semi-finals.  Learning how to shut games down and keeping clean sheets, the rest will follow.

YNWA

So good- posted twice.. I posted a defensive line up against Arsenal away , albeit with plenty of goal threat and was jumped on as a Hodgson clone.

Many are fixated with the Fab 4 etc anyone who posts a side and a plan to do a shut out gets dumped on.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #56: Jan 01, 2018 08:26:54 pm
      Win every game... %100 so far 😂
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #57: Jan 02, 2018 08:00:38 pm
      Win the Champions League, win the FA Cup and finish second or first in the League.

This may be seen as optimistic but let me explain the thinking behind it.

This is based on van Dijk increasing the resilience of our defence by approximately 20%.

The Champions League is now into the knockout phase and we can beat anyone at home and our away form in both the Premier League and the Champions League has improved recently under Klopp this Season. Same goes for the FA Cup.

Palace put a dent in the City armour the other day and after their game against Watford tonight they visit us a week Sunday. When we beat them i am confident it will trigger an inferiority complex within their team which will result in a series of poor results as their confidence subsides.

They have games against Burnley, Arsenal, Chelsea, Stoke, Scum, Everton & Spurs, so some potential banana skins there. With the tightening up of our defensive unit i expect us to win all our games so there is every chance we could potentially win the League. For this to happen City would have to lose 6 games, when we beat them at Anfield that leaves five of the above to do the same.

I know this sounds slightly optimistic but if van Dijk can hit the ground running then the confidence his presence will breed will lift the entire squad, this in turn will improve our defence which will in turn increase the likelihood of a win when scoring three or more goals.  ;)

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #58: Jan 02, 2018 08:51:53 pm
      Win the Champions League, win the FA Cup and finish second or first in the League.
      ??? ??? ???

I like your confidence mate but ain’t gony happen. Even if we beat them next week, they’ll need to lose 5 or draw 8, without us dropping any points. If Cou stays i’m quite confident we will finish second.

As for the CL, we certainly have a chance given we have arguably the most formidable attack in Europe, but I wouldn’t be judging Klopp on whether or not we get number 6.

FA Cup is more than achievable. It’s about time we picked up some silverware and this is our best chance.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #59: Jan 03, 2018 12:33:33 am
      ??? ??? ???

I like your confidence mate but ain’t gony happen. Even if we beat them next week, they’ll need to lose 5 or draw 8, without us dropping any points. If Cou stays i’m quite confident we will finish second.

As for the CL, we certainly have a chance given we have arguably the most formidable attack in Europe, but I wouldn’t be judging Klopp on whether or not we get number 6.

FA Cup is more than achievable. It’s about time we picked up some silverware and this is our best chance.

That's what we said in 2005.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #60: Jan 03, 2018 02:58:48 am

When we finished fifth? ;)

He's talking about winning the league, mate. And that's not going to happen. City have to drop 18/48 points and we have to win every single one.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #61: Jan 03, 2018 10:11:04 am

With Migs and possibly Lovren.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #62: Jan 03, 2018 03:45:20 pm
      At this precise moment in time I'd be happy with the latter stages of CL perhaps the semi's although i think we can go all the way,
      Top 3 in the league, most definitely not out of the question might even sneak ' Bridesmaids' and as a cherry the FA cup,

Progress made and a very bright future, i'd settle for that!

YNWA
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #63: Jan 03, 2018 03:53:26 pm
      When we finished fifth? ;)

He's talking about winning the league, mate. And that's not going to happen. City have to drop 18/48 points and we have to win every single one.
      Precisely mate, thanks for clarifying.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #64: Jan 03, 2018 04:53:03 pm
      Gotta take the fa cup seriously.Win the F***ing thing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #65: Jan 05, 2018 01:08:56 am
      Upgraded.

Currently three points behind ...... to finish above the Scum.

grewalge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,087 posts | 82 
      Reply #66: Jan 08, 2018 02:49:35 pm
      Meet and Beat Barcelona in Champions League ideally in the finals but next round would do too.
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #67: Jan 08, 2018 03:08:34 pm
      Replace Simon? I'm that desperate, really.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Jan 08, 2018 03:29:23 pm
      I'd settle for a decent run in the FA cup, hopefully winning it, decent run in CL and finish top 4 in the league, hopefully in second place.

Quick Reply