Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Pre-match: Liverpool vs. Leicester City; 30/12, 15:00

Read 4513 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Pre-match: Liverpool vs. Leicester City; 30/12, 15:00
      Dec 29, 2017 12:30:18 am
      In all the VVD hoopla, Let's not forget we have an important match to play Saturday vs. the 2015-16 Premiership champions.

You almost need to look at this match in tandem with Monday match at Burnley. 7th and 8th in the league and neither of these should be anything like Swansea City. Klopp has dropped points to both of these teams in his tenure here, including a  home draw to the Burnley in September. WE also were knocked out of the League Cup by Leicester this season, so there should be no question as to the difficulty of the games.

With a ridiculous 48 hours between kickoffs, Klopp's rotation policy may get its fullest expression yet. Jürgen conceivably could make 11 changes between the two starting XIs, although I expect something more like 8-9 is likely. Klopp said somethng about "collecting the bones" after the Leicester match and seeing what to do, but I do expect several changes. Even the stalwart "play the first XI every minute types" should recognize that human bodies weren't made to play two top-level, 90-minute matches in the space of two days.

For me, I'm just happy because I have a 3-day weekend from work and I get to watch the team play twice. Hoping we all enjoy every minute of two Reds' victories. Happy New Year everyone.
      « Last Edit: Dec 30, 2017 12:00:28 pm by Reslivo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: Pre-match: Liverpool vs. Leicester City; 12/30, 15:00
      Reply #1: Dec 29, 2017 12:45:51 am
      You almost need to look at this match in tandem with Monday match at Burnley. 7th and 8th in the league and neither of these should be anything like Swansea City.

These are two very tricky games with the potential for us to suffer a bloody nose.

Burnley are absolutely no mugs.  Leicester have already beaten us once this season with a lesser manager in charge.

I'd have Vardy at Liverpool as part of our 18 ahead of the likes of Sturridge, Solanke and Ings and he will be up against our current defence/keeper sans VVD.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Dec 29, 2017 03:15:27 am
      These are two very tricky games with the potential for us to suffer a bloody nose.

Burnley are absolutely no mugs.  Leicester have already beaten us once this season with a lesser manager in charge.

I'd have Vardy at Liverpool as part of our 18 ahead of the likes of Sturridge, Solanke and Ings and he will be up against our current defence/keeper sans VVD.

Remember the goal he scored against us in Klopp's first season here. It was one of the moments where I realized Simon wasn't the long-term keeper here, but it was still some goal on Vardy's part. Tricky games indeed.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #3: Dec 29, 2017 08:53:14 am
      Do you put VVD straight in or is he not eligible until the New Year?

If not he definitely starts at Burnley as they will be physical.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #4: Dec 29, 2017 09:23:00 am
      Klopp saying vvd needs to improve his fitness and learn the mighty reds system , can't see him starting against Burnley
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2017 09:36:14 am
      Klopp saying vvd needs to improve his fitness and learn the mighty reds system , can't see him starting against Burnley

Cheers mate fitness I get but the LFC way of defending na F**k that tell him to stick to his old ways..!!
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2017 09:55:32 am
      Cheers mate fitness I get but the LFC way of defending na f**k that tell him to stick to his old ways..!!

I hear ya buddy ;D
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2017 11:10:24 am
      Give Firmino and Salah a full game off and put in Mané and Solanke. For the rest of the team take the usual suspects.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #8: Dec 29, 2017 02:15:28 pm
      Yes, I can agree both up and coming games could be tricky but only if we allow them to be.
      Burnley are beatable, don't be fazed by what they did against the Mancs.
      The Spuds beat them on their patch recently by playing their own game therefore so can we.

As for that ugly pr**k Vardy, He's a cheating little cockney tw*t and needs to spend this game on his arse.
      He'll go down looking for a pen or a free kick whenever he gets the chance.So let's hope whoever the ref is doesn't take any sh*t from him.
      It's Mahrez we need to keep an eye on in that team.
      I really don't have any time for Leicester City.. They're sh*te !

If we play with our growing intensity and let our front three roam free I can see another 3 or 4 going in.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #9: Dec 29, 2017 02:34:23 pm
      We’ve got two games which are probably two of the most unpredictable for us. Need to win them and consolidate our position in 4th.
      We can’t afford to let those behind get any ambitions about overhauling us, while at the same time we need to keep the pressure up on those ahead.
      Now we have s bit of depth to our squad, everyone will be playing for their place, especially at the back now VVD in on board.
      Expecting a very confident display against Leicester, but not sure about a clean sheet. Would like yo think this will finish 3:1
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,678 posts | 3699 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #10: Dec 29, 2017 04:47:31 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I think that Coutinho will be rested and we will play like that.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #11: Dec 29, 2017 07:33:02 pm
      Yes, I can agree both up and coming games could be tricky but only if we allow them to be.
      Burnley are beatable, don't be fazed by what they did against the Mancs.
      The Spuds beat them on their patch recently by playing their own game therefore so can we.

As for that ugly pr**k Vardy, He's a cheating little cockney tw*t and needs to spend this game on his arse.
      He'll go down looking for a pen or a free kick whenever he gets the chance.So let's hope whoever the ref is doesn't take any sh*t from him.
      It's Mahrez we need to keep an eye on in that team.
      I really don't have any time for Leicester City.. They're sh*te !

If we play with our growing intensity and let our front three roam free I can see another 3 or 4 going in.

Burnley is the real test. They have improved big time this season. We know how they are going to play and we need to offer something different, than last season.

I'm more confident against Leicester but we just need to keep Mahrez and Vardy really quiet.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #12: Dec 29, 2017 11:12:02 pm
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #13: Dec 29, 2017 11:23:54 pm
      FFS  it's about time that no mark Puel got put into his place although I doubt it will be this game expecting another sit tight catch us on the break classic.
      So unless we score early it will be a dull affair but we still have too much for them over 90 mins.

With Matip back the CB  position is probably the most intriguing as Lovren and Klavan have done well recently as a combo.

Does Salah get rested here or Burnley?......... I would play him both games get the game won and bring him off.

Karius
      Trent
      Matip
      Klavan
      Robertson

Can
      Lallana

Coutinho
      Salah
      Mane

Firmino
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #14: Dec 29, 2017 11:26:45 pm
      Leicester could be harder than Burnley. They will sit deep but they can switch it very quickly. Obviously Vardy and Gray are pacy, but Mahrez has more than a trick or two. Wouldn't be that surprised if Klopp had had a peep at Mahrez. He was fantastic when they won the league scoring 17 and being named as the Players player of the year.Leicester did well to keep him and we need to watch him.

Mane will want a start as will Lallana but how can we leave out Coutinho,Firmino or Salah. Alex might be the one who misses out with Lallana back in, wouldn't change anything else.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #15: Dec 30, 2017 12:55:46 am
      Tricky game.

Going 3-1  ... can't see a clean sheet. If it wasn't for Migs I would be more confident.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #16: Dec 30, 2017 02:12:45 am
      Tricky game.

Going 3-1  ... can't see a clean sheet. If it wasn't for Migs I would be more confident.

A clean sheet at home is more likely than not. We've only conceded 3 at home in the league. One of those was a penalty, another was a freak goal, I'm confident even they have some good players, we will be too much.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #17: Dec 30, 2017 03:45:14 am
      All i ask is Klavan and Matip to play in defence. Lovren marking Vardy and Mahrez cutting inside would put me in hospital.

Any win will do.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #18: Dec 30, 2017 09:37:08 am
      Do you put VVD straight in or is he not eligible until the New Year?

If not he definitely starts at Burnley as they will be physical.
      He can’t play in either.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #19: Dec 30, 2017 10:06:39 am
      Start strongest team against Leicester and rest players against Burnley, play counter attack rather than press against Burnley, make them open up.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,243 posts | 1652 
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2017 10:49:18 am
      Start strongest team against Leicester and rest players against Burnley, play counter attack rather than press against Burnley, make them open up.

Yep need to let Burnley have the ball and encourage them to come out or they will just put 10 behind ball and are difficult to break down
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #21: Dec 30, 2017 10:59:34 am
      Club is on an up.

This is a must win to show that we are gradually getting the consistency required to break through to the next level.

A more comfortable than the scoreline suggests 4-2.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #22: Dec 30, 2017 11:19:52 am
      3-0 to the red men

Quick Reply