Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The goalkeeper situation

Read 20568 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: The goalkeeper situation
      Reply #46: Jan 03, 2018 02:34:58 pm
      i like how he puts sacrifice in qoutes, it's like sacrificing a nose wart.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #47: Jan 03, 2018 02:56:43 pm

Sacrificed?

Like at an altar and sh*t?

Seems a bit harsh but if that’s what it takes to get a new keeper these days then deal me in.......I’m the witchfinder general 😉
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #48: Jan 03, 2018 03:01:19 pm
      Sacrificed?

Seems a bit harsh but if that’s what it takes to get a new keeper these days then deal me in.......I’m the witchfinder general 😉

Can I do the sacrificing .........please
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #49: Jan 03, 2018 03:22:24 pm
      Just get the useless tw*t out the door SAP please!!....

.....and get a top class stopper in, someone who will save us 12-15 pts a season, then we can start collecting titles & tin !

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #50: Jan 03, 2018 03:31:35 pm
      Sacrificed?

Thinking more of being thrown into a volcano myself
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #51: Jan 03, 2018 03:33:04 pm
      Thinking more of being thrown into a volcano myself

Poor sod would manage to dive round the ash......
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #52: Jan 03, 2018 03:37:25 pm
      Poor sod would manage to dive round the ash......

Nah, he just wouldn't...catch fire 😁

YNWA
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #53: Jan 03, 2018 05:10:45 pm

Sacrifice is a bit harsh like isn't it. What do they do does he go to a secret FA location where all the members are waiting in clobber like this?

Could just sell him or release him, but hey if that's what clubs are up to these days then what can you do?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #54: Jan 03, 2018 05:19:29 pm
      Klopp must surely be looking at what this lad at Citeh has added to them and be on the lookout for someone.
      I'm prepared to give Karius a go but I thought one of his key strenghts was his distribution. I think his distribution is pretty poor. He's more comfortable with the ball at his feet than Migs which isnt saying much but his kicking is crap I think - this Ederson boy could put the ball on a six pence from 80 yards away.
      Migs and Karius to me are quite a similar character - quiet and inward. I want a raging bull in goal. A talker and an organiser that will dominate the goal-mouth
      « Last Edit: Jan 03, 2018 05:26:39 pm by Alfie2510 »
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #55: Jan 03, 2018 06:42:42 pm
      Go for Kaspar Schmeichel. Getting to be very much like his old fella.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #56: Jan 03, 2018 06:47:49 pm
      Go for Kaspar Schmeichel. Getting to be very much like his old fella.

What like a big headed over rated kunt ?

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #57: Jan 03, 2018 06:58:39 pm

What like a big headed over rated kunt ?

YNWA

You rang?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #58: Jan 03, 2018 07:21:32 pm

😂 Don't put yourself down like that mate, you'll give yerself a complex !

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #59: Jan 03, 2018 08:09:40 pm
      Karius is a 6/10 keeper. Mignolet 0/10.  Karius is a bit below par but Mignolet is a total wreck. Mignolet out and keep Karius. Karius is a worthy number 2 and could improve. Mignolet will never become what we need, he's had 200 games to show that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #60: Jan 03, 2018 08:27:44 pm
      Karius is a 6/10 keeper. Mignolet 0/10.  Karius is a bit below par but Mignolet is a total wreck. Mignolet out and keep Karius. Karius is a worthy number 2 and could improve. Mignolet will never become what we need, he's had 200 games to show that.

Using your own rating system, would that make you a -7/10 poster? 

You using more than a little hyperbole, from what I've seen from both, I don't think their is a huge difference between the two. At least 6, off the top of my head, in the Premier League I wouldn't have in goal before Mignolet, if offered the choice.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #61: Jan 03, 2018 09:55:03 pm
      Using your own rating system, would that make you a -7/10 poster? 

You using more than a little hyperbole, from what I've seen from both, I don't think their is a huge difference between the two. At least 6, off the top of my head, in the Premier League I wouldn't have in goal before Mignolet, if offered the choice.

For me we need to see a steady run of games from Karius to see how much better than Migs he could possibly be.

He may not be the answer but from what I've seen he I potentially a much better keeper and far more suited to how we play football.

We should still be looking to buy a keeper either this month, or more likely in the summer, who is good enough to be number 1 and move Mignolet on.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #62: Jan 03, 2018 10:10:31 pm
      For me we need to see a steady run of games from Karius to see how much better than Migs he could possibly be.

He may not be the answer but from what I've seen he I potentially a much better keeper and far more suited to how we play football.

We should still be looking to buy a keeper either this month, or more likely in the summer, who is good enough to be number 1 and move Mignolet on.

Yep just the extras he does better and that's not including shot stopping or catching crosses etc (even though he can't be any worse) put him ahead of migs in my opinion.

1) He is a lot more decisive and seems to process what's ahead of him quicker.

He is much better at starting attacks and releases the ball very quick and quite far up field if the chance is there.

With Mignolet he very rarely starts a quick attack and on most of the occasions he releases the ball fast it is a 5 yard roll to one of the defenders.

2) His anticipation, he is often very fast to come off his line to stop a one on one and he doesn't seem scared of his own shadow when the ball is lifted into the box.

Where as Mignolet is either usually slow to react and reach an attack before it starts or simply stays glued to his line.

He also looks scared to death inside the box.

3) His kicking is a lot more accurate and he can actually clear the half way line by quite a fair bit.

Mignolet on the other hand struggles to clear the half way line and most of his kicks end up curling towards one of the sidelines and a fair few simply go out of play.

With the other stuff it's too soon to say if he is better than Mignolet or not but on what I've seen he is at least as good so should be number one in my opinion.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #63: Jan 03, 2018 10:13:02 pm

I think if Karius had shown even the smallest glimpses of being an improvement, week in, week out, Klopp would have had no compunction in dropping or getting rid of Mignolet. It concerns me, with the way we play, that neither seems to communicate well with the back line.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #64: Jan 03, 2018 10:58:05 pm
      He wouldn't catch a cold the poor fella and we'll win F**k all with him in goal, i honestly can't remember a game where he's played like a demon and won us 3 pts ' no heroics from him at all.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #65: Jan 03, 2018 11:05:50 pm
      I think if Karius had shown even the smallest glimpses of being an improvement, week in, week out, Klopp would have had no compunction in dropping or getting rid of Mignolet. It concerns me, with the way we play, that neither seems to communicate well with the back line.

Fair points Rodders but it could be one of those situations where a manager has a blind spot.

For me the limited times we have seen Karius he has shown to be a better keeper, and more importantly  could get better with experience.  Mignolet will never be any better.
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #66: Jan 03, 2018 11:29:25 pm
      Yep just the extras he does better and that's not including shot stopping or catching crosses etc (even though he can't be any worse) put him ahead of migs in my opinion.

1) He is a lot more decisive and seems to process what's ahead of him quicker.

He is much better at starting attacks and releases the ball very quick and quite far up field if the chance is there.

With Mignolet he very rarely starts a quick attack and on most of the occasions he releases the ball fast it is a 5 yard roll to one of the defenders.

2) His anticipation, he is often very fast to come off his line to stop a one on one and he doesn't seem scared of his own shadow when the ball is lifted into the box.

Where as Mignolet is either usually slow to react and reach an attack before it starts or simply stays glued to his line.

He also looks scared to death inside the box.

3) His kicking is a lot more accurate and he can actually clear the half way line by quite a fair bit.

Mignolet on the other hand struggles to clear the half way line and most of his kicks end up curling towards one of the sidelines and a fair few simply go out of play.

With the other stuff it's too soon to say if he is better than Mignolet or not but on what I've seen he is at least as good so should be number one in my opinion.

If he is good as you say I think Klopp  could have  made him our  number one goalkeeper  by now, even Klopp   can't  make  up his mind .Karius is not better  than Mignolet and he will never be the answer   to our  problem, we bought  VVD  to improve  our defence   the next thing we must do is to get a world class  goalkeeper  so that we can win the league  .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #67: Jan 03, 2018 11:35:29 pm
      If he is good as you say I think Klopp  could have  made him our  number one goalkeeper  by now, even Klopp   can't  make  up his mind .Karius is not better  than Mignolet and he will never be the answer   to our  problem, we bought  VVD  to improve  our defence   the next thing we must do is to get a world class  goalkeeper  so that we can win the league  .

I fully agree on buying a world class keeper but I'm not having that Karius is not better than Mignolet.

-LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,138 posts | 1193 
      Reply #68: Jan 03, 2018 11:49:39 pm
      I don't think either are good enough. We could possibly keep Karius as a no2 and see how he develops but only if we sign a proper no1. Don't need to be world class (although would be handy). Just not so ridiculously far behind the best goalies in the league to allow us to compete. Shouldn't cost the earth.

Quick Reply