Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

The goalkeeper situation

Read 20774 times
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: The goalkeeper situation
      Reply #92: Jan 04, 2018 09:05:58 pm
      Mignolet is a decent goalkeeper, that's all. He doesn't make himself big in the box to narrow the angle of incoming shots like what Peter Cech did. One to one he's hopeless, either he doesn't study videos enough of what strikers will do inside the box or he's simply too scared to do anything. On incoming opposition striker inside our box, he doesn't cover the near post enough with a trailing leg to cover the other side or he does things at random. He simply doesn't make it difficult for strikers.  The number of goals he conceded at the near post is embarrassing and shocking. He isn't commanding in the air either. if a goalkeeper continues to make mistakes and continue to leak goals at the near post, he's nowhere near the standard we needed. How many times he stood on the goal line when goals are conceded instead of trying to rush out and narrow the angle, again is truly frustrating.  His clearance barely crosses the half way line and hardly goes past the 3rd quarter where goalkeepers hate that as the ball could bounce off anywhere.

On a fair note, he does save a few shots here and there but the way goals were conceded could have been avoided. if we had a better quality goalkeeper, many of the goals conceded could have been saved.

200 over games and we're not talking of 50 games and we see the same old Mignolet, either he's simply not good enough to improve or that he doesn't want to improve. Either one or both, perhaps it is time to move on for a new goalkeeper. 
      « Last Edit: Jan 05, 2018 09:38:13 am by redkop63 »
      TorontoRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 34 posts |
      Reply #93: Jan 04, 2018 09:33:19 pm
      I've been reading the goalkeeper debate for some time now and I still wonder how some on here still defend Migs as being a good enough keeper.
      In truth, I've complained about him since his first season with us and since, nothing has changed. From his very beginning (his 1st or 2nd start with us if I recall), we learned that he's a good penalty stopper. But besides that, if we're honest, there is nothing outstanding about him. He's below bar coming off his line for areal balls. Below par in distribution. Below par in positioning and just about average in shot stopping (being generous here). And of course, far below average in brain farts and Cruyff style hard stopping moments. Being Belgian myself, I've tried hard to have a positive bias towards him but he truly makes it impossible.
      After watching the Arsenal-Chelsea game, I thought of what the outcome of the game would be had both teams had Mignolet in net. My guess is about a 4-4 tie... realistically.
      When I see the saves De Gea, Courtois and Cech make on a weekly basis, it really puts it in perspective how far behind we are in that domain. In that game only, there were more outstanding saves I can remember Mignolet pulling over the past 2 seasons. When you stop to think about it, he has made far many more memorable mistakes than memorables stops. That's enough for me.
      I wish him the best but I fear he'll even have a hard time finding another team in the prem as everyone knows he's at his max capacity. I could see him move to a lower French or Dutch club in truth.
      He doesn't command and instill confidence, he very rarely step up to save points and I truly believe that a world class keeper is what we need if we're to actually have a shot in the league next season.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #94: Jan 04, 2018 10:14:21 pm
      Most of the years growing up ive had to suffer dodgy goalkeepers and this current crop is no different.

I wasn't a huge fan of Reina in his last few seasons here but prior to that he was the best I've seen in a Liverpool shirt.

To be fair it's nothing a huge transfer fee won't sort out but the feeling I get is that Klopps not too fussed about it.

If it were me the two of them would have been gone in the Summer but there we go.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #95: Jan 04, 2018 10:16:25 pm
      Great OP fella. Clearly stats don't give the full pic in terms of performance in set pieces, successful passes completed etc. But it is a pretty damning indictment of our poor goalkeeper situation since Pepe's last two seasons. He was the best we've had over the past ten years and he had faded in his last season (stats prove that somewhat), but Mignolet's stats are a decent reflection of his below average status. Why stick with a keeper who has consistently been below average for 4 seasons in a row now?

Karius is young but I still trust him not to make stupid mistakes as much as Migs. So if we're not buying anyone, I'd give Karius an extended run. He's only going to improve whereas Migs won't.

I'd prefer to buy, even in Jan, if a decent keeper is available. Utd are finding out to their good fortune that a poor team can dwell in top 4 because their De Gea is worth 10-15 points a season for them. Worth splashing out 20+ mil imo.

Amazing to think Neuer only cost 19 mil and even Ederson, current most expensive PL keeper cost 35 mil.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #96: Jan 05, 2018 03:29:39 pm
      Karius has to be given a chance before binning him. Much bettering catching, distribution and others attributes than Mignolet.
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,153 posts | 1284 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #97: Jan 05, 2018 04:30:14 pm
      The Goalkeeper Situation?

We need one.

We will win F**k all with Mignolet between the sticks, he is shockingly crap.

What happened with Danny Ward anyway? Did well on loan at Aberdeen, then helped Huddersfield Town get promoted to the Premier League. Huddersfield tried to buy him, we said no and then he can't get a look in here?

I don't know what to make of Karius yet but i'd persevere with him rather than give Mignolet more game time, there is no way on earth that Mignolet is going to be our future keeper for the coming years. He's been here for several Seasons now and is only regressing.

Seen talk of Butland possibly coming in the Summer, sounds like a good shout.

No doubt that this situation needs sorting sooner rather than later.

Worrying times.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #98: Jan 05, 2018 05:13:54 pm
      When I was a kid they always stuck the worst player in goal. I heard Lovren is quite tall.. try him in goal!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #99: Jan 05, 2018 05:24:58 pm
      When I was a kid they always stuck the worst player in goal. I heard Lovren is quite tall.. try him in goal!

Did you like playing goalie  :D

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #100: Jan 05, 2018 11:52:48 pm
      Neither Karius or Mignolet command their box. Karius had plenty of chances, tonight, to come out and make that ball his but he stays rooted to the goal line for some reason.  2 new Goalkeepers please.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #101: Jan 06, 2018 12:35:56 am
      Neither Karius or Mignolet command their box. Karius had plenty of chances, tonight, to come out and make that ball his but he stays rooted to the goal line for some reason.  2 new Goalkeepers please.

Van Dijk was certainly in no mood to tolerate any more indecision from our goalkeepers.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #102: Jan 06, 2018 12:47:33 am

To me it seems that Karius gets intimidated by raucous atmospheres home or away. Bournemouth away last season, Moscow a few months back, the Merseyside derby tonight.

I found it astonishing that he was so reluctant to run out today especially given that he's shown greater adeptness in that area compared to Mignolet (although he's no Ederson that's for sure). Him and Matip both seemed unsure of Calvert Lewin's speed today and without Van Dijk's efforts tonight I can't help but think Everton would have got more than the one goal. Some really messy stuff by both of them.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #103: Jan 06, 2018 12:55:09 am
      To me it seems that Karius gets intimidated by raucous atmospheres home or away. Bournemouth away last season, Moscow a few months back, the Merseyside derby tonight.

I found it astonishing that he was so reluctant to run out today especially given that he's shown greater adeptness in that area compared to Mignolet (although he's no Ederson that's for sure). Him and Matip both seemed unsure of Calvert Lewin's speed today and without Van Dijk's efforts tonight I can't help but think Everton would have got more than the one goal. Some really messy stuff by both of them.

Yup agree we needed VVD out there tonight otherwise it would have been another one of those nights.

You can already see Virgil taking command and telling players where to go.

jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 877 posts | 102 
      Reply #104: Jan 06, 2018 08:28:20 am
      for the sake of his perception by the fans he shouldve even dived for the goal, even if he knew he wouldnt reach it. always looks bad when the keeper s rooted to the spot.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts | 408 
      Reply #105: Jan 06, 2018 10:56:28 am
      for the sake of his perception by the fans he shouldve even dived for the goal, even if he knew he wouldnt reach it. always looks bad when the keeper s rooted to the spot.

Problem is he had wrong footed himself and by the time that tiny step to the right happens the ball is already past him while all his momentum is going to the right.

He would then have had to shift the weight/adjust his feet back to favour his  left side to dive but by then the ball is in the back of the net meaning diving after they had already scored.

Edit: I know what I'm trying to say but don't know whether that is making sense. What I'm getting at is that that little step to the right sets him up to save either straight on or more to the right.

Had that little step have been the opposite he probably could have dived.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 11:05:50 am by LFCSTEVE1984 »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #106: Jan 06, 2018 12:02:33 pm
      No blame for Karius on the goal - shot was timed perfectly back across deliberately.

Only German wanting at their goal was Emre Can - who got distracted by the Fiat 500 ads pitchside.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #107: Jan 15, 2018 11:44:39 am
      Slightly off subject, but going back approx. 40 years, from memory, England had contending for the GK spot, Clemence & Shilton, with the likes of Corrigan & Cooper (Ipswich) behind them.  Oh for a keeper of any of their calibre between the sticks these days.  ???
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #108: Jan 15, 2018 12:15:55 pm
      Slightly off subject, but going back approx. 40 years, from memory, England had contending for the GK spot, Clemence & Shilton, with the likes of Corrigan & Cooper (Ipswich) behind them.  Oh for a keeper of any of their calibre between the sticks these days.  ???

Corrigan was our GK coach  for 10 years until Rafa arrived .

........................ ...........

Couldn't find fault with Karius in his City display.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #109: Jan 15, 2018 12:23:34 pm
      I wanted Karius to come in and be everything Mignolet is not, but it is just not the case.

Karius is supposed to be this keeper is who better at distributing and allowing the quick break away, but from what i have seen his distribution is lacking as much as his confidence to command his box. He more often than not comes flying out completely misjudging the trajectory of the ball and just flaps at it. His basic shot stopping is poor due to positional errors, i remember the free-kick he let in against West ham where before it was taken you could just tell he was going to let it in and numerous other times where you expect keepers to save it.

Mignolet is probably only marginally better, because he is actually a decent shot stopper, more often than not has strong hands but he is always due a monumental F**k up, his distribution is piss poor but his ability to command the box has got a lot better i think.

I think Klopp wants Karius to become his number one and earn it and who knows after 25+ games he might be a new player, but right now to sum the above up, they are both sh*t and not good enough for LFC, i would bring in Forster or Butland over those two any day.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #110: Jan 15, 2018 01:04:17 pm
      May aswell get Forster we've bought the rest of Southampton ;D
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #111: Jan 15, 2018 01:07:46 pm
      May aswell get Forster we've bought the rest of Southampton ;D

He's sh*t.

molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #112: Jan 15, 2018 01:12:50 pm
      So are 2 other keepers I can think of ;D
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #113: Jan 15, 2018 01:32:45 pm

An improvement on what we have.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #114: Jan 15, 2018 01:42:07 pm
      An improvement on what we have.

You obviously have not seen much of Forster.
      He is hardly an upgrade on what we have.

Quick Reply