Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

John Barnes Homophobic statement.

Read 10637 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      John Barnes Homophobic statement.
      Jan 21, 2018 11:30:59 am
      http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/celebrity-big-brother-john-barnes-gay-men-courtney-act_uk_5a64611fe4b0022830038283

Celebrity Big Brotherā€™ viewers were left unimpressed by John Barnes during Saturday (20 January) nightā€™s show, following a series of comments he made about gay men.

The former footballer was speaking to Shane J - who entered the house in full drag, as his alter ego Courtney Act - when he admitted to sometimes feeling uncomfortable around gay men.

John told Shane: ā€œThey [men] assume heā€™s definitely going to want to have sex with me. And thatā€™s why men arenā€™t comfortable with gay men.

ā€œThey think ā€˜I wonder if heā€™s thinking about me without my clothes onā€™. It is an uncomfortable feeling that he is going to pounce on me.

ā€œBecause of the stigmatization concerning the act itself, theyā€™re thinking youā€™re gonna make a move on me, youā€™re going to touch me.

Attempting to explain why he holds these views, John added: ā€œIā€™m that way because everything Iā€™ve said here is about the way Iā€™ve been brought up.ā€

The pair also discussed sexual experimentation, following Andrew and Courtneyā€™s private time in the bathroom earlier this week.

But when Shane said, ā€œSometimes somebody can have a little taste of something that...ā€, John interrupted with: ā€œKick them out of the club. Kick them out of the club.ā€

ā€œIā€™ll tell you why, because if anything happened in that room heā€™s out of the club,ā€ he added. ā€œIf anything happens in the room, Andrewā€™s out of the club. Heā€™s not in my club if anything happens.ā€

Needless to say, ā€˜CBBā€™ viewers were not impressedā€¦

Sometimes honest is not the best policy! 😕
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018 09:11:37 pm by JD »
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 727 posts | 111 
      Re: John Barnes Homophobic statement.
      Reply #1: Jan 21, 2018 11:43:37 am

Homophobia in professional football is rife in football ... JB is saying what a lot of people in the professional game still believe. Hopefully some good can come from this as people begin to realise that it is completely unacceptable in the 21st Century
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #2: Jan 21, 2018 11:57:09 am
      At the risk of failing the PC test I think itā€™s getting a bit silly.

His views might be more than a bit outdated but heā€™s trying to be honest.

Now you might well think - ā€˜heā€™s a dinosaurā€™ or whatever but letā€™s not all pretend to be perfect.

He is giving his opinions - heā€™s not killed anybody and itā€™s reality f***inā€™ tv for F**kā€™s sake.

By definition itā€™s moronic and an attempt to shock or create headlines.

Nothing a good 50% of the male population above 50 in this country wouldnā€™t agree with........doesnā€™t make it right but need to stop demonising ignorance.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #3: Jan 21, 2018 11:59:00 am
      I can understand men not feeling comfortable being naked around a Gay man. If I was in a room full of naked women my eyes would be popping out 😁, and I suppose some men feel that a gay man would also "have a look" in a sexual way.
      It's a tricky topic, but to be honest I have no problem sharing a changing room with a Gay guy. They don't just hit on every man they come across.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #4: Jan 21, 2018 12:00:31 pm

Now you might well think - ā€˜heā€™s a dinosaurā€™ or whatever but letā€™s not all pretend to be perfect.

He is giving his opinions - heā€™s not killed anybody and itā€™s reality f***inā€™ tv for F**kā€™s sake.

Nothing a good 50% of the male population above 50 in this country wouldnā€™t agree with........doesnā€™t make it right but need to stop demonising ignorance.

He said they should be kicked out of the club mate! That's crossing a line IMO.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #5: Jan 21, 2018 12:10:15 pm
      He said they should be kicked out of the club mate! That's crossing a line IMO.

I donā€™t watch it but Iā€™m more outraged itā€™s on telly than anything said in it.

Remember that itā€™s nonsense, tabloid telly and by default anything therein is ā€œfruit of the poisoned treeā€.....
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Jan 21, 2018 12:12:50 pm
      Woman says 'I feel like men are just looking at me and imagining me without my clothes on' - You tell em sister
      Man says 'I feel like gay men are just looking at me and imagining me without my clothes on' - Piece of sh*t homophobe.

Men are pigs, but only if they're straight.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Jan 21, 2018 12:23:31 pm
      I donā€™t watch it but Iā€™m more outraged itā€™s on telly than anything said in it.

Remember that itā€™s nonsense, tabloid telly and by default anything therein is ā€œfruit of the poisoned treeā€.....

That sounds a little too like the it's her fault, look at the way she dressed defence to me.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #8: Jan 21, 2018 12:30:43 pm
      That sounds a little too like the it's her fault, look at the way she dressed defence to me.

Hardly Rodders.

Apart from anything else weā€˜re talking about ignorance given a platform and not rape.

Poor comparison mate.

Anyone outraged by something said on a tv setup entirely geared to creating outrage does only have themselves to blame.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #9: Jan 21, 2018 12:47:11 pm
      Hardly Rodders.

Apart from anything else weā€˜re talking about ignorance given a platform and not rape.

Poor comparison mate.

Anyone outraged by something said on a tv setup entirely geared to creating outrage does only have themselves to blame.

And that argument is about the ignorance, not the rape. Barnes suffered some horrific intolerance himself, largely due to ignorance and irrational fear, it's a shame he's perpetuating another form of it, even if it's on a forum I, like you, don't watch.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #10: Jan 21, 2018 12:51:56 pm
      And that argument is about the ignorance, not the rape. Barnes suffered some horrific intolerance himself, largely due to ignorance and irrational fear, it's a shame he's perpetuating another form of it, even if it's on a forum I, like you, don't watch.

Good point re the irony.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #11: Jan 21, 2018 01:20:28 pm
      Can I just check, are people allowed to have their own opinions any more or do we now all have to conform to the media liberal narrative of embracing all forms of sexuality? If we do have to subscribe to this narrative why are certain ethnic groups given a pass, e.g the muslim community who as far as I understand it take a fairly dim view of homosexuality, why is their no clamour or marches against their archaic and hurtful views?

BTW for the record I do not share John Barnes views on this but I do think that as long as they don't hurt anyone then he is entitled to them, they are after all indicative of how a lot of people think if they are being honest.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #12: Jan 21, 2018 01:32:02 pm
      Can I just check, are people allowed to have their own opinions any more or do we now all have to conform to the media liberal narrative of embracing all forms of sexuality? If we do have to subscribe to this narrative why are certain ethnic groups given a pass, e.g the muslim community who as far as I understand it take a fairly dim view of homosexuality, why is their no clamour or marches against their archaic and hurtful views?

BTW for the record I do not share John Barnes views on this but I do think that as long as they don't hurt anyone then he is entitled to them, they are after all indicative of how a lot of people think if they are being honest.

They are entitled to them, as people are entitled to call them bigots for holding them. Opinions and beliefs aren't some sacred cow that can't be challenged.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Started Topic

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #13: Jan 21, 2018 01:45:57 pm

Everyone is entitled to their views of course, but I would question the wisdom of expressing then on TV.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #14: Jan 21, 2018 02:13:36 pm
      If he doesnā€™t agree with it then fine. But surely heā€™s old and wise enough to know that any comment like that will have this type of reaction. He obviously wants a life in the media otherwise he wouldnā€™t be on a sh*t show like that... heā€™s an idiot if you ask me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #15: Jan 21, 2018 02:47:55 pm

Is correct mate.
      Let's not forget a high percentage of individuals employed by the media/entertainment industry are overtly gay or help them out when they get busy and would crucify anyone who is not 200% PC on gayness and all matters of that nature.
      John Barnes is an ex-professional footballer for Christ's sake, he can be excused for occasionally over-expanding on a subject he has no personal experience of.
      « Last Edit: Jan 21, 2018 07:55:52 pm by stuey »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #16: Jan 21, 2018 03:11:26 pm
      I have one or two friends that are gay myself, and a few have echoed the thought of John themselves that it is how most men view them... I see nothing wrong with the sentiment  JB was trying to get across...

We have a Old West Indian saying "Not everything is good to talk" ...I think that this applies In spades here
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #17: Jan 21, 2018 03:30:15 pm
      I have one or two friends that are gay myself, and a few have echoed the thought of John themselves that it is how most men view them... I see nothing wrong with the sentiment  JB was trying to get across...

We have a Old West Indian saying "Not everything is good to talk" ...I think that this applies In spades here

Me back foot.. ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Jan 21, 2018 03:39:07 pm
      They are entitled to them, as people are entitled to call them bigots for holding them. Opinions and beliefs aren't some sacred cow that can't be challenged.

You see I'm not sure about that these days, it feels like we are all being forced to think and act in one way and I don't like it. I'm not saying that's its good that some people are racist, or xenophobic or homophobic etc because obviously its not, but I think on balance I'd rather have that, as long as its just people thinking that way rather than actually hurting or discriminating someone, than this pseudo totalitarian "you must all conform" crap that it becoming ever more pervasive. Society is changing for the better all the time, with people becoming less ignorant and more tolerant but the pressure to instantly change, especially for the older generation, is alienating people and you are starting to see significant pushback, as witnessed by the rise of far right politics.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #19: Jan 21, 2018 04:30:31 pm
      Wait!!.... kiss me neck back!...Shabba a yu that  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #20: Jan 21, 2018 05:34:59 pm
      The whole "I can't help it, I was brought up that way" stuff from a victim of racist abuse is... well... quite sad, and disappointing.

Very easy for people who haven't had to endure any sort of prejudice in their lives to play it down as "PC gone mad", but I rather think of what a gay footballer might go through when hearing that sort of sh*t. Because make no mistake, gay footballers exist, they are just too uncomfortable to come out, and when you see crap like this, it is for very good reason.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21: Jan 21, 2018 06:01:38 pm
      Is this really applicable in The Kop section ?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Jan 21, 2018 06:42:01 pm
      Is this really applicable in The Kop section ?

Yep, he's a former red great who's made a bit of a tit of himself!!

Loved John Barnes as a lad, but he's definitely let himself down with those comments. As others have said can't be arsed watching that CBB sh*te, but it does seem to be getting discussed by a lot of reds on social media.

The fact he suffered a lot of racism and was quite outspoken about it makes his comments seem even more stupid.

Quick Reply