Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      4 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (11.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (28.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (30.5%)
      Emre Can
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2018 12:17:16 am

Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30094 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Live: Swansea City V Liverpool
      Reply #552: Jan 23, 2018 12:14:00 am
      I thought we were abject tonight. A cold, wet night in South Wales and no one looked up for the match. Except Swansea who played very well.

Three things things I take away from that match:

1) With the sale of Coutinho and the impending exit of Sturridge, the drop off in quality on our bench is alarming.
      2) There is a serious lack of creativity in our midfield.
      3) I thought again we lacked leadership.

All of which begs the question: Can we afford not to strengthen this month?

Take the front three of Firmino, Mane and Salah. As good as you'll get in the league. Assuming we sell Sturridge, who comes in to replace them? Ings and Solanke. One who's been injured for two years and was brought in because he was free, the other yet to score a senior goal in the League. That's not the quality we need. Furthermore, as I've pointed out in the past, it's a World Cup Summer which means players are going to be on show. If they have a good tournament, the best case scenario is their value dramatically rises, worst case is their value dramatically rises to a point we're priced out and he goes to one of Europe's elite.

I also think our team selection paid far too much respect to the bottom of the league, four less goals than Salah, team. We didn't need Can and Gini in the side, we needed more creativity, and I stand by my pre-match assertion that Lallana should have started that match. I also profoundly disagree with taking of AOC when we're a goal down and need someone to open up their defence. Unless he was an injury concern, taking off one of our better performers on the night was inexcusable.

I've also got deep concerns over Mane now. It's not just that he's completely out of form, it's his decision making. He keeps making the wrong decisions, and spent most of tonight playing into Swansea's hands. Serious questions need to be asked of him now, but unfortunately going back to what I said before, with the sale of Coutinho and the increasingly likely scenario of no replacement this month for him, and the dramatic drop off in quality available to us on the bench, we can't afford to rotate him out because who comes in? One of two unproven players. Klopp's entire strategy for rotation this season has been being able to pick three of four up front and now that's in tatters because of the sale of Coutinho is likely to disrupt our entire season (although to play devil's advocate against myself, we won't know that for sure until May).

Finally is the Leadership issue. If I didn't know who was the Captain tonight, I wouldn't have guessed. Nonetheless, I couldn't care less who has the arm band, we lack leadership on that pitch. If Gerrard is there, if anyone of our former great Captains is there, those players don't get away with that tonight. No one lead by example, no one tried to raise the bar. No bollockings were handed out for doing exactly what Swansea wanted us to do, just meek acceptance that tonight was not our night. The biggest thing I take away from tonight? This side is great on its day but still needs quality incomings before it's a serious contender. Not good enough by any stretch of the imagination.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,202 posts | 914 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #553: Jan 23, 2018 12:15:41 am
      The thing that dose my head in is they have to turn in once a week mollyed fuckers, and they can't do that, I wish the fuckers had to do 60 hours I have to do to earn a half decent wage, lazy cu*ts don't know how good they have it
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Re: Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #554: Jan 23, 2018 12:19:12 am
      Losing to Swansea is possibly the most Liverpool thing you could expect.

Did I expect it though? No.

Was it a surprise? No.

We're not the best team in the country and tonight only serves to prove the ride you have to experience if you are a Liverpool fan.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #555: Jan 23, 2018 12:19:20 am
      We need better midfield and top forward as well other playmaker plus one or two better players come on change game as sub look at 5 players in summer
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,525 posts | 719 
      Reply #556: Jan 23, 2018 12:20:48 am
      We all know our team. So we all knew this was a real possibility.

No surprises here
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #557: Jan 23, 2018 12:21:13 am
      You just can't go from beat city off park plus week rest and same old Liverpool lack of everything tonight if that cu*ts utd or city or Chelsea even they win them games
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,533 posts | 388 
      Reply #558: Jan 23, 2018 12:36:42 am
      football is mad. top of the world last week, absolute sh*te this.

massively disappointing. can expect 'one of them' after 18 unbeaten....

seriously concerning if nobody is coming in this month though..
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #559: Jan 23, 2018 01:03:48 am
      That was awful. Just finished watching and wish I'd have just deleted it and saved myself the time.

No teeth, no courage, back pass after back pass, no creativity, no one taking responsibility.

Bad top to bottom. What a waste, we have a chance to do some good in the table and we completely cock it up. Guess we shouldn't be surprised though.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,217 posts | 1386 
      Reply #560: Jan 23, 2018 01:07:29 am
      That was awful. Just finished watching and wish I'd have just deleted it and saved myself the time.

No teeth, no courage, back pass after back pass, no creativity, no one taking responsibility.

Bad top to bottom. What a waste, we have a chance to do some good in the table and we completely cock it up. Guess we shouldn't be surprised though.

But there is still one mystery..
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #561: Jan 23, 2018 01:08:45 am
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #562: Jan 23, 2018 01:09:20 am
      Maybe in way these results good in that klopp knows lot work players still bring in club before we can fright for league think we need least 6 more players in summer and next January top forward main thing we need in summer and playmaker
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #563: Jan 23, 2018 01:28:10 am
      Been away on holiday so haven't seen any of the game yet.

Distraught hearing the result after Spurs dropped points yesterday. It was a great opportunity to put some space between us.

Shocked as well, Swansea are dog sh*t. How have we lost this?

We must be the only club like this. Twatting top of the league and then a week later losing to sh*te. We've been cursed like this for as long as I can remember!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #564: Jan 23, 2018 01:55:28 am
      It like get use these results even when beat city knew these happened
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,533 posts | 388 
      Reply #565: Jan 23, 2018 02:32:17 am
      fact is, when we play these games against sides who literally dont want the ball, we struggle massively.

it feels mental we have to turn to Ings, but actually thought the lad looked lively.

we were due a sh*te performance/result, have to bounce back now. beat west brom, then on to huddersfield.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #566: Jan 23, 2018 02:51:54 am
      Quote from heimdall
      I see the doom mongers are back out in force. I swear some of you fuckers enjoy us losing just so that you can have a moan again.
      At the end of the day we were well below our normal standard and Swansea probably had their game of the season plus plenty of luck. sh*t happens to all good teams, it's how we react which is important.

They're out alright, most of them showed up long before the team had left Swansea, telling us what we need and why we need it. Couldn't see them for dust last week.

Awful night, terrible result, the ball just wouldn't go in. But we've done well enough over the past 3 months to absorb a mistake, at a notoriously bogey ground going right back to 2012. I don't know what it is, but we usually struggle down  there. Even in the cup in 1990, we couldn't win in Swansea, and they celebrated the goalless draw then as if they won the cup itself. We won the replay at home 8-0.

Twelve months ago, we had a similar result at home. We finished in the top 4. 12 months on, we're still there, and our future is far brighter than theirs. Forget it and move on. There's bigger fish still to fry this season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #567: Jan 23, 2018 04:45:04 am
      Such a frustrating loss. There were chances.

Salah did what Mane got raked over the coals for earlier in the season, trying a shot when a simple square ball (to Mane, ironically) would have made an easy tap in.

This probably means we will win the Champions League.

Proud to support Liverpool Football Club...always.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #568: Jan 23, 2018 06:33:56 am
      Tonight we missed Coutinho creativity, plane as day we need to replace him  but hey f**k ne out American owners want to profiter and blow me people on her want to defend them. End result we will win nothing

I don't think Coutinho would of made any difference against Swansea,they stuck to their game plan and we had no answers.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #569: Jan 23, 2018 06:44:23 am
      I don't think Coutinho would of made any difference against Swansea,they stuck to their game plan and we had no answers.

He might have Billy - but Iā€™ve also watched him in plenty of games trying increasingly elaborate passes that come to nothing and frustrate when we need to keep the pressure on against the bus Parkerā€™s.

Thereā€™s no silver bullet against teams that donā€™t want to play.

My complaint last night is more about attitude - we were flat and careless from the off.

Weā€™re building a great side but at this point weā€™re only a very good side. Great sides grind out those games. Weā€™ve started to do that more often but last night was a setback.

Said elsewhere - citing that as  evidence of the need for a ā€œgame changerā€ is lost on JĆ¼rgen and the money men. For him we failed collectively because the players didnā€™t follow the system and theyā€™re only concerned about what they deem as ā€œvalueā€ and they donā€™t think you get that with Ā£140+ million in your pocket......

It was a setback. Nothing more after 19 games unbeaten. Up to last night it was our highest points total since Rafa in 08/09.

Perspective.

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,255 posts | 1659 
      Reply #570: Jan 23, 2018 07:26:33 am
      I was actually going to type something after about 8 mins about the slow start and that we didnt look at the races but couldnt be arsed with the responses about negativity. Does anyone else get that early feeling that you know how its going to play certainly against some sides ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #571: Jan 23, 2018 07:29:11 am
      Interesting that Klopp mentioned in his presser that we didn't execute the plan to beat this type of defence.

I just wonder if he have the players who can beat parked buses. We are a team reliant on fast transitions running hard.
      Looking at last night when we needed patience and precision this was sorely missing, a combination of complacency and wrong players picked I thought. There again nothing will ever fix simple chances missed or Salah going for glory when itmwas easier to square the ball.

Trent should have played over Gomez, anyone in midfield could have played over Gini how ineffectual he is in these sort of games.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #572: Jan 23, 2018 07:38:23 am
      Interesting that Klopp mentioned in his presser that we didn't execute the plan to beat this type of defence.

I just wonder if he have the players who can beat parked buses. We are a team reliant on fast transitions running hard.
      Looking at last night when we needed patience and precision this was sorely missing, a combination of complacency and wrong players picked I thought. There again nothing will ever fix simple chances missed or Salah going for glory when itmwas easier to square the ball.

Trent should have played over Gomez, anyone in midfield could have played over Gini how ineffectual he is in these sort of games.

Would have been extremely harsh to drop gini after last weekend
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,393 posts | 3397 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #573: Jan 23, 2018 07:40:36 am
      I was actually going to type something after about 8 mins about the slow start and that we didnt look at the races but couldnt be arsed with the responses about negativity. Does anyone else get that early feeling that you know how its going to play certainly against some sides ?

Absolutely,  i know some people say it doesn't matter but the intensity was missing from the start, we just got too frenetic at the end
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #574: Jan 23, 2018 07:41:32 am
      Would have been extremely harsh to drop gini after last weekend

I still think he was the best of the 3 last night.

Quick Reply