Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      4 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (11.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (28.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (30.5%)
      Emre Can
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2018 12:17:16 am

Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29728 times
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Re: Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #621: Jan 23, 2018 08:11:01 pm
      Okay maybe a gang of 8 then

No width to stretch them out wide last night and that blame lies with Salah and Mane
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #622: Jan 23, 2018 09:24:34 pm
      So did they park the bus or not in your opinion, it wasn't clear what you thought from your post. BTW I think its up to every team to play how they see fit, but it is horribly negative football although effective sometimes.
      No.... As i stated they was forced to defend, but when they were in possession came forward in numbers
      Kopite78
      Re: Live: Swansea City V Liverpool
      Reply #623: Jan 23, 2018 09:25:17 pm
      Won't surprise if aresanl or spurs fhish head of us we fhish 5 or 6 in league

That's because you're a negative F**k
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #624: Jan 23, 2018 11:04:31 pm
      Not negative just say how is see too many times us play like it cup final against top teams then we sh*t drop silly points against smaller teams be honest don't think l see Liverpool win league in my life time
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #625: Jan 23, 2018 11:27:04 pm
      Can we get the next game thread up.

Move on time.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #626: Jan 23, 2018 11:59:13 pm
      Okay maybe a gang of 8 then

No width to stretch them out wide last night and that blame lies with Salah and Mane

I think it probably sits with the manager. He has always played with narrow forwards and usually they are inverted (as was the case last night) with a leftie on the right (Salah) and The right footed Mane on the left. If Klopp really wanted more width the starting point surely is to switch them?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #627: Jan 24, 2018 12:50:20 am
      Lallana must be in the frame in place of Mane, for the next 3/4 games. Front 6 would look like this: Wijnaldum,Can,Alex,Lallana,Firmino,Salah.

Mane for whatever reason has lost the plot. He should be swopping sides at will with Salah. But no he justs plods on running up blind alleyways. No need to panic but Mane hasn't really looked the part all season.

What I don't see as much from his is his ankle-breaking cuts to change direction. His first step is still lightning fast, but he doesn't try to beat players 1v1 so much anymore, and I wonder if this is a casualty of his injury last season. He can still strike a ball very well and his pace is undoubted, but that severe cut seems to have gone missing. I still think he will be a big part of any success we have this season.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #628: Jan 24, 2018 04:10:53 pm
      If it's me, I'd buy this guy
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUoTLBWnzQE
      Hakan Calhanoglu
      He's just 23 yo, scored 65 goals plus 59 assists in 280 appearances.
      Can play in almost every positions.

I'd play him as our goal keeper against defensive minded teams.
      We already never hope our gk to save the shot on goal anyway so he don't need to, just score goals for us by take a free kick.

Ha ha

I know it's just stupid but I'm tired of our team seemed never know how to do against such a teams.

If anyone have to wake up at 3 am to watch a game then maybe they can understand why I'm make such a stupid post :mad:
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #629: Jan 24, 2018 04:17:48 pm
      Can't afford to drop silly points like this...It'll be tough to overtake Mourinho, now he has got Sanchez for sod all and Arsenal...well put it this way...Wenger has got a big hole in his foot..
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #630: Jan 24, 2018 09:34:25 pm
      We need a Plan B, where a big size bully right in the middle of the box to unsettle the defence. But, we don't have one at the moment. Solanke is the biggest size among the lot but he is as soft as a tissue for his size. Time to go buy a big bully striker good in headers.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #631: Jan 24, 2018 10:54:25 pm
      Looking at their goal. One of the worst teams in the Prem get a corner and such is the fragile state of our defense, we break in a cold sweat and 4 red shirts make a frantic manic lunge for the ball. VVD has to fight to get anything on it, as a result we don't react to the knockdown. They pounce on it.

We need to show some composure for these set pieces and have enough confidence to deal with crosses without charging at the ball mob handed.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #632: Jan 25, 2018 04:10:16 am
      We need a Plan B, where a big size bully right in the middle of the box to unsettle the defence. But, we don't have one at the moment. Solanke is the biggest size among the lot but he is as soft as a tissue for his size. Time to go buy a big bully striker good in headers.

Mate imo the like of Solanke or any new big strong CF or not is useless if our team never consider utilize them. The tactic only effective if we train often enough but I can't imagine Klopp ever want to do.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #633: Jan 25, 2018 10:43:17 am

Play VVD as the striker, certainly towards the end of a game where we need to score.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #634: Jan 25, 2018 01:50:18 pm
      Play VVD as the striker, certainly towards the end of a game where we need to score.

I remember when all us reds used to laugh at Mourinho for going proper route 1 with Robert Huth when he was at Chelsea!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #635: Jan 25, 2018 02:05:37 pm

Remember watching Tony Hately do that very thing in his days at Anfield, he wasn't a bruiser but his size and numerous goals by way of headers used to scare the sh*t out of defenders.

When he wasn't putting the goals away his presence in front of goal was distracting 3 or 4 defenders, him and Roger Hunt were a deadly duo.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2018 02:10:22 pm by stuey »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #636: Jan 25, 2018 02:22:10 pm

Cos that worked well with Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke...

Plan B is just smart talk for 'last resort' tactics...or plan A if you're a British dinosaur like Allardyce or Pulis.
      « Last Edit: Jan 25, 2018 02:28:56 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #637: Jan 25, 2018 02:30:01 pm
      Cos that worked well with Andy Carroll and Christian Benteke...

With the right combination matey it can be a killer, the Hately/Hunt and Toshak/Keegan pairings won us prizes galore.
      A big man harrassing the goalie and taking care of mis-hits from Mane and Salah would sort it out.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #638: Jan 25, 2018 02:49:29 pm
      With the right combination matey it can be a killer, the Hately/Hunt and Toshak/Keegan pairings won us prizes galore.
      A big man harrassing the goalie and taking care of mis-hits from Mane and Salah would sort it out.

I suppose it can be and I say so as a fan of the Heskey/Owen combo! But I would prefer it to work in a fashion where the big man is Latin. It off for the speedier and more talented striker in the box. I just can't see anyone out there who would meet Klopp's standards though.
      Harrisimo

• 7,965 posts | 1355 
      Reply #639: Jan 25, 2018 11:10:12 pm
      With Conte looking at bringing in a Plan B option in Carroll or Crouch, may be others might be looking to add a player who can compete in the air. As a last 10-15 minute option. Can't see Klopp buying into it tho.

Obviously we had Carroll and Benteke here, both didn't work. Stick VVD up there as a last throw of the dice but other than that it's a non starter bringing in target man type. You want pace,skill.trickery and quality in your front 6. Not a one dimensional one trick bench warmer.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #640: Jan 26, 2018 07:59:31 am
      Quote from skolRED
      I know it's just stupid but I'm tired of our team seemed never know how to do against such a teams.:mad:

It is stupid. This season v bus parkers:

v Palace (w)
      v Huddersfield (w)
      v West Ham (w)
      v Southampton (w)
      v Stoke (w)
      v Brighton (w)
      v Swansea (w)
      v Leicester (w)
      v Burnley (w)
      v Everton (w)

So we usually find a way past them.

Unfortunately, we don't put players on posts at corners. I noticed it before the corner was taken on the night. 5 seconds later, ball in net. Game gone.

You don't have to splash out 85 million on new players to stop that happening, or even 8,5k. A simple instruction and it's done. If a pub team can do it, we can do it, the most basic of basic defensive techniques there is. Some say it doesn't matter. Well somewhere along the line, it will matter and as we saw on Monday, it has mattered, and cost us our longest unbeaten run in over 20 years. Look at the amount of goals scored from corners generally every week, and you'll see how important it is to do it. Hopefully we'll be 5-0 up or something the next time it happens to us, and it won't matter so much.
      Norfolk Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,154 posts | 499 
      Reply #641: Jan 26, 2018 08:33:01 am

v Palace (w)
      v Huddersfield (w)
      v West Ham (w)
      v Southampton (w)
      v Stoke (w)
      v Brighton (w)
      v Swansea (w)
      v Leicester (w)
      v Burnley (w)
      v Everton (w)

Unfortunately, we don't put players on posts at corners. I noticed it before the corner was taken on the night. 5 seconds later, ball in net. Game gone.

You don't have to splash out 85 million on new players to stop that happening, or even 8,5k. A simple instruction and it's done. If a pub team can do it, we can do it, the most basic of basic defensive techniques there is. Some say it doesn't matter. Well somewhere along the line, it will matter and as we saw on Monday, it has mattered, and cost us our longest unbeaten run in over 20 years. Look at the amount of goals scored from corners generally every week, and you'll see how important it is to do it. Hopefully we'll be 5-0 up or something the next time it happens to us, and it won't matter so much.

Have to agree with that, used to be a standard thing to do. Another thing you don't see much off as well, is leaving someone quick loitering on or near the half way line when we are having a corner kick against us.
      But guess that's why I'm a Carpenter and not a manager.  ;D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #642: Jan 26, 2018 08:45:06 am
      Remember watching Tony Hately do that very thing in his days at Anfield, he wasn't a bruiser but his size and numerous goals by way of headers used to scare the sh*t out of defenders.

When he wasn't putting the goals away his presence in front of goal was distracting 3 or 4 defenders, him and Roger Hunt were a deadly duo.

Exactly. When we have big hunks inside the box every cross that comes into the box we have a towering figure to unsettle the opposition defence.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #643: Jan 26, 2018 09:37:09 am

v Palace (w)
      v Huddersfield (w)
      v West Ham (w)
      v Southampton (w)
      v Stoke (w)
      v Brighton (w)
      v Swansea (w)
      v Leicester (w)
      v Burnley (w)
      v Everton (w)

Yeah I find it weird why managers don't do that any more(put players on each post), you make the goal so much smaller for the attackers and the goalies job so much easier. I'd love to hear from a modern manager why they don't do it.

Quick Reply