Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Alisson Becker (AS Roma)

Read 124826 times
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Re: Alisson Becker (AS Roma)
      Reply #253: May 31, 2018 06:27:27 pm
      No it isnā€™t - Navas is worse than Migs never mind Karius.

Mistakes every other week.

Quite certain a ā€œreally badā€ keeper like Navas wouldnā€™t have won how many CL trophies by now...

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #254: May 31, 2018 06:33:03 pm
      Quite certain a ā€œreally badā€ keeper like Navas wouldnā€™t have won how many CL trophies by now...

Traore won a CL medal with us.. Your point being?..

Navas has been carried by his team... Had De Gea signed Navas would be playing championship football..
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #255: May 31, 2018 06:36:07 pm
      Traore won a CL medal with us.. Your point being?..

Navas has been carried by his team... Had De Gea signed Navas would be playing championship football..

Traore got one and was ousted. Navas has 3 or 4. Which means as he as a player is a ā€œkeeperā€. Thatā€™s the point. Traore was lucky, Navas isnā€™t. He deserves it...

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #256: May 31, 2018 06:57:24 pm
      Traore got one and was ousted. Navas has 3 or 4. Which means as he as a player is a ā€œkeeperā€. Thatā€™s the point. Traore was lucky, Navas isnā€™t. He deserves it...

No he has Ronaldo, Bale etc.

People shouting about Navas clearly donā€™t watch a lot of Spanish football.

Heā€™s very ordinary.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #257: May 31, 2018 07:07:43 pm
      No he has Ronaldo, Bale etc.

People shouting about Navas clearly donā€™t watch a lot of Spanish football.

Heā€™s very ordinary.

Maybe he is, but he doesnā€™t make clangers in the biggest game of the season...

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #258: May 31, 2018 07:25:15 pm
      Maybe he is, but he doesnā€™t make clangers in the biggest game of the season...

I believe thatā€™s what they call ā€œdamned by faint praiseā€.....

You obviously like him - I think your view is distorted by who he plays for but we donā€™t have to agree.....

Iā€™ll stick with the two weā€™ve got though if thatā€™s the option.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #259: May 31, 2018 07:37:15 pm
      I believe thatā€™s what they call ā€œdamned by faint praiseā€.....

You obviously like him - I think your view is distorted by who he plays for but we donā€™t have to agree.....

Iā€™ll stick with the two weā€™ve got though if thatā€™s the option.

You want to stick with Mignolet who has had 4 seasons to prove his isnā€™t good enough? Just crazy. Sticking with Karius as no.2 is one thing, sticking with both is just madness. Why would you want that? Surely youā€™d want our team to be the best they possibly can?

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #260: May 31, 2018 07:40:49 pm
      You want to stick with Mignolet who has had 4 seasons to prove his isnā€™t good enough? Just crazy. Sticking with Karius as no.2 is one thing, sticking with both is just madness. Why would you want that? Surely youā€™d want our team to be the best they possibly can?

So Iā€™d want someone better, right?

Therefore not Navas......

F**k me Matt youā€™re making this feel like teaching a dog long division..........🙄
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #261: May 31, 2018 07:57:21 pm
      I do hope Courtois ends up signing for Real and thats gonna spark a bidding war for Alisson. Not only that puts Madrid out of the race but makes us favorites over Chelsea or anyone. Pretty sure the player would pick us due to the JĆ¼rgen factor and we can match anyone's bid!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #262: May 31, 2018 08:04:25 pm
      I do hope Courtois ends up signing for Real and thats gonna spark a bidding war for Alisson. Not only that puts Madrid out of the race but makes us favorites over Chelsea or anyone. Pretty sure the player would pick us due to the JĆ¼rgen factor and we can match anyone's bid!

I still don't see the big deal in Alisson, I'd rather we get Courtois for a cheaper price than get ripped off by Roma for Alisson.

I also think Courtois is the better keeper out of the two.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #263: May 31, 2018 08:25:49 pm
      I still don't see the big deal in Alisson, I'd rather we get Courtois for a cheaper price than get ripped off by Roma for Alisson.

I also think Courtois is the better keeper out of the two.

There's a hell of a lot of logic in buying Courtois for Ā£50M than Allison for Ā£80M.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #264: May 31, 2018 08:42:15 pm
      There's a hell of a lot of logic in buying Courtois for Ā£50M than Allison for Ā£80M.

Same here, I'd love Coutouis but I suspect he may be eying up a return to Madrid. I'm sure I read he has a daughter living there from his time at Atleti. I'd like Allisson as well but you have to question a price tag of 75-80 million.

One thing is for sure though. We can't continue with Karius or Migs. Both have had their chances and neither is up to the job and never will be.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #265: May 31, 2018 09:44:03 pm
      Courtois is one of the few goalies who are an upgrade over what we currently have, and only 26yo, so if he was available at a reasonable price i would be happy with that move. Alisson is intriguing but i don't think he's all that good to warrant the price he'd likely command.

If had a guarantee that Karius will recover mentally from his historical F**k up i would be all for him returning as the #1.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #266: May 31, 2018 10:49:39 pm
      Courtois is one of the few goalies who are an upgrade over what we currently have, and only 26yo, so if he was available at a reasonable price i would be happy with that move. Alisson is intriguing but i don't think he's all that good to warrant the price he'd likely command.

If had a guarantee that Karius will recover mentally from his historical f**k up i would be all for him returning as the #1.

Until the next cock up you mean? Never been convinced by the lad, not big or strong enough for the high ball. And I donā€™t believe he is mentally strong enough to recover from this. As for Courtois being one of the few who youā€™d consider as an upgrade?? Iā€™d take Lloris, Courtois, Butland, Pope, McArthy, Smeichel, Pickford and the lad at Newcastle over Karius. Klopp would be bonkers and downright blind to stick with him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #267: Jun 01, 2018 01:04:36 am
      Let him go to he Chavs...then we can enjoy putting another 7 past him in 2 games.

Oblak...no brainer...go on Edwards lad, get it done.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #268: Jun 01, 2018 01:18:16 am
      Let him go to he Chavs...then we can enjoy putting another 7 past him in 2 games.

Oblak...no brainer...go on Edwards lad, get it done.

I wonder why Oblak hasn't signed a new contract yet. Also, I read that if Oblak leaves, Atletico could go for Kepa, another strong keeper that the big clubs are interested.

Szczęsny would be a very good buy if rumours are true about Perin joining Juventus. There are just so many good reliable keepers out there that are better than what we have that we don't even know about tbh.
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #269: Jun 01, 2018 02:12:26 am
      Until the next cock up you mean? Never been convinced by the lad, not big or strong enough for the high ball. And I donā€™t believe he is mentally strong enough to recover from this. As for Courtois being one of the few who youā€™d consider as an upgrade?? Iā€™d take Lloris, Courtois, Butland, Pope, McArthy, Smeichel, Pickford and the lad at Newcastle over Karius. Klopp would be bonkers and downright blind to stick with him.

Every goalie is prone to errors, just that the magnitude of Karius' in the CL final is obviously of greater impact. Name a goalie, he's made them. The only question re: Karius is whether he can recover mentally from the CL game and use it as fuel to prove doubters wrong or lets it hang in the back of his head and makes him skittish, because otherwise he had been a very well rounded goalie for us who fit our style very well.

If you don't think Karius is big or strong enough for the high ball, then you either did not watch a single game he played, are too blind by your bias or just lack a clue, as Karius has been very good and aggressive at coming out of his box and punch or grab crosses / long balls. At 6'2 he's no giant, but heck, there are people pushing for Navas who's even shorter.

As for those goalies listed that you'd take over Karius, well, maybe you do lack a clue. Lloris is brutally overrated, Butland flat out isn't good, and Schmeichel has made plenty of mistakes of his own and he can't even keep the ball on the field when he's using his feet. And for FFS, are you seriously saying you'd take the Newcastle goalie who's 29 and has played 12 games in the PL? JFC.

Pope could be good and not convinced by Pickford to be any better, but if we are going to get a new #1, it cannot be from a poor / average team where the goalie is used to getting peppered all game long. We need a goalie who has proven he can maintain focus and make the big save after sitting on his ass for 30 minutes, so we cannot take the risk on a goalie like Pope only to find out he couldn't handle it then we're back to needing to look for a new goalie.

Since he took over as #1 we saw Karius being able to make the big save, come out on high balls, distribute the ball well and play a good sweeper role allowing us to play a high defensive line. He is one of the reasons, alongside VVD and Robertson, why the defense suddenly improved to the level it did, but if you really do think you'd take Dubravka over Karius then F**k it, it's a lost cause.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #270: Jun 01, 2018 08:12:27 am
      Every goalie is prone to errors, just that the magnitude of Karius' in the CL final is obviously of greater impact. Name a goalie, he's made them. The only question re: Karius is whether he can recover mentally from the CL game and use it as fuel to prove doubters wrong or lets it hang in the back of his head and makes him skittish, because otherwise he had been a very well rounded goalie for us who fit our style very well.

Of course they are and I can clearly remember some of the very best making some absolute howlers, Schmeichel and Seaman in particular spring to mind. And you are right, the great ones are the ones who can recover from them. You only have to look at Dudek for us, he was very solid indeed for a couple of seasons but once he got caught up in a bad spell he simply couldn't dig himself out of it (not withstanding his heroics in 2005). Same applies to David James, supremely talented keeper who made strong stints at most of his clubs but hit bad spells, couldn't recover and had to move clubs to reset and go again. Does Karius have it in him to recover from two of the biggest errors ever seen in a final? I don't think so, Klopp had to wrap him in cotton wool following a couple of bad games when he first joined the club, how much wool he will need this time who knows, a lot I suspect and then when the next bad error(s) comes it will be even harder to rebuild the lad's confidence. He's too fragile.

If you don't think Karius is big or strong enough for the high ball, then you either did not watch a single game he played, are too blind by your bias or just lack a clue, as Karius has been very good and aggressive at coming out of his box and punch or grab crosses / long balls. At 6'2 he's no giant, but heck, there are people pushing for Navas who's even shorter.

Sure he came and claimed a few that Migs would not have but I also watched him come rushing for things he had no chance of getting too at corner kicks or bouncing off of attackers and his own defenders on several occasions. He looks like a little boy lost at times. As for Navas I really wouldn't want him either.

As for those goalies listed that you'd take over Karius, well, maybe you do lack a clue. Lloris is brutally overrated, Butland flat out isn't good, and Schmeichel has made plenty of mistakes of his own and he can't even keep the ball on the field when he's using his feet. And for FFS, are you seriously saying you'd take the Newcastle goalie who's 29 and has played 12 games in the PL? JFC.

The list really just illustrates how little I rate Karius, it doesn't mean I want those keepers at LFC. You say Lloris is brutally over-rated and you are right to a degree, he certainly is over-rated but you are doing the same with Karius. He is a half-decent keeper who will play the majority of his career at a mid to lower level team in one of the top leagues.

Since he took over as #1 we saw Karius being able to make the big save, come out on high balls, distribute the ball well and play a good sweeper role allowing us to play a high defensive line. He is one of the reasons, alongside VVD and Robertson, why the defense suddenly improved to the level it did, but if you really do think you'd take Dubravka over Karius then f**k it, it's a lost cause.

He came in and did a better job than Mignolet but let's not get carried away. Migs had been so poor and it had been so long since we had seen half-decent goal-keeper play that most of us lowered our standards and expectations to some extent. And as for the Sweeper keeper thing that gets massively overplayed, Karius distribution has been pretty good but plenty of times he has sliced the ball out of play or booted it straight to the opposition (and generally got away with it) but on Saturday night he has made a blunder of such epis proportions (one that only see on blooper tapes) in the biggest game at the club in years.

I don't think Klopp will risk sticking with Karius next season, the lad is the next error away from completely falling apart again. Spend some money if they have to and get a top quality keeper in and keep Karius as the number 2 where he can rebuild his confidence in the domestic cups.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #271: Jun 01, 2018 09:44:26 am
      The mans 'Pool career cant be written off on one match, give him another crack and watch him like a hawk.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #272: Jun 01, 2018 11:01:34 am

Of course they are and I can clearly remember some of the very best making some absolute howlers, Schmeichel and Seaman in particular spring to mind. And you are right, the great ones are the ones who can recover from them. You only have to look at Dudek for us, he was very solid indeed for a couple of seasons but once he got caught up in a bad spell he simply couldn't dig himself out of it (not withstanding his heroics in 2005). Same applies to David James, supremely talented keeper who made strong stints at most of his clubs but hit bad spells, couldn't recover and had to move clubs to reset and go again. Does Karius have it in him to recover from two of the biggest errors ever seen in a final? I don't think so, Klopp had to wrap him in cotton wool following a couple of bad games when he first joined the club, how much wool he will need this time who knows, a lot I suspect and then when the next bad error(s) comes it will be even harder to rebuild the lad's confidence. He's too fragile.

Sure he came and claimed a few that Migs would not have but I also watched him come rushing for things he had no chance of getting too at corner kicks or bouncing off of attackers and his own defenders on several occasions. He looks like a little boy lost at times. As for Navas I really wouldn't want him either.

The list really just illustrates how little I rate Karius, it doesn't mean I want those keepers at LFC. You say Lloris is brutally over-rated and you are right to a degree, he certainly is over-rated but you are doing the same with Karius. He is a half-decent keeper who will play the majority of his career at a mid to lower level team in one of the top leagues.

He came in and did a better job than Mignolet but let's not get carried away. Migs had been so poor and it had been so long since we had seen half-decent goal-keeper play that most of us lowered our standards and expectations to some extent. And as for the Sweeper keeper thing that gets massively overplayed, Karius distribution has been pretty good but plenty of times he has sliced the ball out of play or booted it straight to the opposition (and generally got away with it) but on Saturday night he has made a blunder of such epis proportions (one that only see on blooper tapes) in the biggest game at the club in years.

I don't think Klopp will risk sticking with Karius next season, the lad is the next error away from completely falling apart again. Spend some money if they have to and get a top quality keeper in and keep Karius as the number 2 where he can rebuild his confidence in the domestic cups.

I 100% agree with this, our expectations have been so lowered by years of Mignolet that it made Karius look like a superstar when in reality he is only a bit better than Migs and overall he's a fairly average quality Goalkeeper, we need much better if we are to consistently challenge for top honours.
      I also agree that he is almost certainly fu**ed psychologically and having him in goal will cause the defenders to be more nervous than usual which will spread through the team..
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #273: Jun 01, 2018 11:32:23 am

Spot on.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #274: Jun 01, 2018 12:01:20 pm
      If we do sign Alisson, I can see JĆ¼rgen deciding to let go off Karius as well, probably back to Germany. Dont think he can ever play with the same confidence that he displayed between Jan and May. His every movement will be scrutinized not just by media but also at LFC REDS ;D

Joking aside, if Alisson is our #1, I can Ward taking up the #2 spot, playing in a couple of cup of games and probably one of the academy lads (Shamal George or Kamil Grabara) will fill in as #3, or we might some veteran GK, who knows!

Say ā‚¬25mil from both Karius and Mig would still be a handsome return in this market!
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #275: Jun 01, 2018 08:18:26 pm
      Get him on the books. Not sure if heā€™s currently under a keeper coach better than Achteburg but canā€™t be much worse.
      Heā€™ll be chased by a few clubs in 4/5 years, you wait and see.
      Natural !

Quick Reply